Asus Rampage IV Extreme-i7-3970k Post Install problems

kafoowe

27 posts in this topic

Hey Guys let me first start off with the build components. I used everything off my old build with the addition of a new MB and CPU.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme x79
i7-3970K
(2) GeForce GTX 460, most likely will upgrade later, but for now....
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Seagate drives no solid state drives installed, but on standby
water cooled via NZXT
OS X 10.8.4
Bios 2105

I am up and running, just having problems installing the correct kexts and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] settings for this build. Each time I try something I can not boot back into OSX. I have to reinstall OSX each time.

Problems so far as most, no sound, I don't know if my graphics are running at maximum potential, they are recognized though. I don't know if processor is running at maximum potential as well.

I must use -v PCIRootUID=0 cpus=1 npci=0x2000 

I can't boot with out this. I tried guides that were similar to my build but used different graphics card and the i7-3930 instead, but I get no luck. Also used different DSDT files that matched my bios of 2105.

I would like to enter OSX without the need to use the above string and a guild to get the most performance from my bios set up for this processor.

If anybody can point me to the right guild or PM me some more info that would be great.

Thanks again

Have you tried my post install DMG? 

No, I was not aware of your DMG. Can you point me in that direction?

I mistaken the DMG, yes I did try it, and I could not boot back into osx.  I also extracted my DSDT and patched it with what ever I could get, still no good. Unless Im doing it wrong along with your DMG.

Install Guide:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/os-x-10-8-mountain-lion/

Asus x79 Support Page:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/dsdt-downloads/asus-x79/

Also only have one card installed until post install. OK? If you follow the guide to the letter you will have 0 issues. If you do have issues then they are self made and you need to make sure to read every line. Also update to the latest BIOS. 

Install Guide:

Asus x79 Support Page:

Also only have one card installed until post install. OK? If you follow the guide to the letter you will have 0 issues. If you do have issues then they are self made and you need to make sure to read every line. Also update to the latest BIOS. 

Thank you, working on it tonight....will keep you updated.

Install Guide:

Asus x79 Support Page:

I cant get to the installer page.  Every time click boot from myhack the computer shuts down and reboots somewhere in the middle of getting to the install screen. I tried -v npci=0x2000 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=No and a combination of GraphicsEnabler=Yes and PCIRootUID=0.  Only one time I got to the install screen, when I got it to reformat the drive it rebooted in the middle of formatting and could never get that far again. It sees to have more problems with the latest Bios version, I went back down to 2105 and I have no problems getting to the install screen. Would like to use the latest BIOS though.

-v npci=0x2000 cpus=1

Should get you in.

Remove all the Nvidia drivers from the USB installer. 

i got rid of all the kexts in system extension that referred to nvidia. It seems like it work, all the way up to the point where it was installing the software, somewhere after 10 minutes it shut down and rebooted, now it makes it up to the apple logo and shuts down and restarts. Dont know if there are more files to remove off the usb drive, if so what are the file locations? Thanks again

it's in the correct port. I may look into another graphics card or go back to 2105 bios, this caused no reboots when I originally installed.

i went back down to bios 2105 and it has a lot less problems. I can uses the nvidia drivers without removing them. I still have to use -v npci0x2000 cpus=1. I get all the way to the point where it is installing the os. Near the end of the installation I get a big Yellow error stating that the software can not be installed and to contact software company.. yada yada yada....  almost there. I cant get any furthure then this part. Tried it a bunch of times and it always hangs up at that point with the same installation error.

The error could be a false positive. Try booting into the install after that error. 

Also tried installing on the newest BIOS with Lion, ML, and Mav and all worked fine. Could be a bad usb installer on your end. 

I made redid the USB stick and it worked, got all the way up to the point it asks for the extra folder and I restarted the computer. Do I still need to enter the -v npci=0x2000 cpus=1 or should I be at the point where I don't need these?

also do I need to copy the extra folder from myhack USB to the main root drive and place your DSDT folder there as well? Will this get the sound to work too? Will I be able to boot into ML with out using any flags?

thanks again

I feel that I followed the guide accurately but I still cant get the sound to work and I cant boot into mac without using -v npci=0x2000 cpus=1.  When i do get in and use the mac os I notice when the os is thinking hard, i think a graphics intense situation the pc reboots abrubtly.

Here are the steps I followed

Set up bios

formated and load software to usb stick

booted into usb stick by breezing any key within 5 seconds loaded the first option to install os by using -v npci=0x2000 cpus=1

formated drive in disk utility

selected drive to install

when it reached to select extra folder I made no selection and restarted ( also started over and selected stock extra folder)

selected usb hit any key and selected drive with os now installed

used -v npci=0x2000 cpus=1

got into os and used dmg file and dragged extra folder to main drive and installed DSDT file in extra folder

restarted

booted into usb selected any key selected installed drive with os booted with out flags no luck

booted with -v npci=0x2000 cpus=1 got in

no sound

any ideas?

Thanks

Seems that was it. Everything seems to work including audio.  My only concern is it will reboot when video is playing. For example when netflix is playing it will restart abruptly seconds in up to about half hour in.

Also i put GraphicsEnabler=Yes in boot options but I still have to type that when I boot from the USB.

Is there a way to load directly into OSX without using the usb stick and flags?

Thanks again

Still not able to boot off the HDD? Did you install the boot loader?

I installed chimera first and chameleon both installed correctly and would boot to boot loader without USB boot drive.  Both instances i would boot into a black screen. No flags are needed at this point. Rebooted with usb boot drive and it boots all the way into a working OSX without also the need of flags.  My only two problems at this point is I can not load osx fully from HDD bootloader and pc constantly reboots during graphic based software, such as netflix. always rebboots withing 15-30 from starting a movie and almost everytime i start netflix i have to reinstall silverlight.