DP4 - Graphics Problems

29 posts in this topic

I'm runnin ghte new DP4 ... It installed easily enough with the help of MyHack, however, I'm having the same troubles since DP1....namely

1.)     The Open CL ocean wave thing is still giving me scores that are about 15 to 20 percent of what I'm getting on ML (10.8.5), and,

2.)     When using the spacebar preview for graphics in Finder, the images are color corrupted .... however PDF's and text files and the like all preview just fine.

Video plays well through VLC and QuickTime and the regular preview app works perfectly well with images....it's just the Finder preview.

Would anyone have any ideas as to why this is so?

TIA

Rick

Aurora, IL.

MB     : P67a-UD7-B3

CPU   : 2600K

GPU   : EVGA GTX580 w 3GB

SMBios Def:  iMac Mid 2011  {same thing happens when using MacPro 5,1}

I also have this graphics corruption using preview, and I also have a Fermi graphics card let´s see if this is just fermi related or it also happens with other cards.

Good Luck

I'm using vanilla .... do you have any instructions (or perhaps know where to find them) for editing the AGPM kext for Mavericks?  Is this something anyone has even attempted yet for this latest OS?  I googled it but only came up with edits for earlier versions.  Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Hi, mirone! 

Did you try to inject your card via DSDT instead of using GraphicsEnabler=Yes? It seems a problem with Chameleon built-in injector. I can boot both from my Intel HD4000 (HDMI and DVI) and and both my nVidia cards (all ports, VGA included, but i only tested VGA as a secondary monitor), but i have everything in the DSDT and use GE=No.

Alternatively, you can try Clover!

All the best!

I'm getting into a black screen with a blinking cursor.

use HDMI, any ideas?

Someone with the same problem?

Yeah I had this issue too but only if I boot with HDMI connected, if I conect HDMI after login it works ok. I read this issue is also affecting Intel and ATI cards as well.

Maybe we get some updates for fix this in the next DP.

Comment: On some cards OpenCL Oceanwave bench ist limited to 60 Hz = 60 FPS

So forget all 60.0-60.9 fps Oceanwave results if your card got much more running OS X 10.8.

My 9600 GT and now 440 GT isnt affected  running 10.9 DP1..4 = 93 FPS / 106 FPS. (same as with 10.8.4)

Try to use LUXMARK as OpenCL bench for 10.9! Its even better bench, because it uses much more OpenCL code than small+fast OceanWave.

This DP4 has some Fermi good news, in Mountain Lion I had the NVDA Channel exceptions in so many difference ways like using the finder, using safari etc, etc, etc some times pass hours before a Freeze occurs sometimes happen after 10 minutes of use. But in this DP4 I had not any NVDA Freeze using my laptop, this time is more specific to only two situations 1.- Screen sleep (a few times) and 2.- using LiveQuartz.

Someone else with Fermi who likes to share some experiences?

Good Luck!!!

Well Riley,

We could probably spot weld our cards together and get a GTX 1250 and our lives would still suck with Mavericks ... at least until they address these 2 probs.... but I'm still thinking that maybe it has something to do with the agpm kext?  Is there a way to edit it to get around this dilemma?   Seems I remember the early ML DP's had some graphic issues as well.  Didn't Netkas come up with some initial hex edit for it?  Seems so long ago though it really wasn't.

Just rambling ....

Comment: On some cards OpenCL Oceanwave bench ist limited to 60 Hz = 60 FPS

So forget all 60.0-60.9 fps Oceanwave results if your card got much more running OS X 10.8.

My 9600 GT and now 440 GT isnt affected  running 10.9 DP1..4 = 93 FPS / 106 FPS. (same as with 10.8.4)

Try to use LUXMARK as OpenCL bench for 10.9! Its even better bench, because it uses much more OpenCL code than small+fast OceanWave.

Took your advice.....and while the differences are not anywhere near as great, there are still some problems.  ML scores in at 1325 while Maverix scores at 840.  Granted, no where near the percentage difference I was getting with the ocean wavey thingy, but still a sizeable difference {or what I would consider to be sizeable}.  I truly appreciate your suggestion and I think you are really on to something, I just think that there may be more to the story than what meets the eye {no pun intended}.   I just have absolutely no idea what on earth it could be.

I don't know if it's AGPM at play. I tried to enable it for the 670 but just as the desktop should load my monitor shuts off and all disk activity stops.

Obviously I have no idea what's going on with no screen but it's annoying that my card stays locked at 1GHz clock speed because I can't get Kepler power management working.

I don't know if it's AGPM at play. I tried to enable it for the 670 but just as the desktop should load my monitor shuts off and all disk activity stops.

Obviously I have no idea what's going on with no screen but it's annoying that my card stays locked at 1GHz clock speed because I can't get Kepler power management working.

here on 10.9 dp's, according to HWsensors, my gtx 660ti it stays always in "3D mode" frequency of 914 mhz, in 10.8 when in idle it goes down to 324 mhz... with the same configuration (same dsdt, same macpro 3,1 smbios)...

i've tell the problem to kozlek but he said that it's probably a system configuration problem.... (anyway i'm not sure of this....)

apologize for english :)

post-449896-0-91228600-1375960183_thumb.png

Can you post your AGPM edit stefano? My 670 doesn't clock back down to 324MHz in 10.8 either. If I could get it working in 10.8 I'd be happy.

The few guides I've seen for Kepler PM use newer SMBIOS like iMac12 etc. But when I used iMac9 way back I had issues with digital audio output always going to sleep because of overly-aggressive power management. So I've stuck with MacPro ever since.

OK, I think I've figured out what's happening here. I was using the Oceanwave OpenCL benchmark to stress the GPU when testing power management. And it wouldn't clock down past 1GHz afterwards.

So I tried some other tools. OpenGL Extensions Viewer pushed the card to 1GHz but it then clocked back down to 324MHz. Cuda-Z then pushed the card to 1.18GHz and it clocked back down too. Oceanwave and Luxmark both pushed the card to 1.18GHz but in both cases it stuck at 1GHz afterwards. So it's something related to OpenCL.

In 10.9 my card is already running at 1GHz when booted to desktop so perhaps there's more OpenCL at work in 10.9 and this is why power management isn't working?

Just want to chime in with my voice too, I've had graphics issues in all DP versions of 10.9 so far. My GTX 465 boots to desktop already at 1.05 V on the core, whereas in ML it'll idle at 0.875 V (I believe...it's somewhere around there).

Because of that, my temps are idling incredibly high. 60-70° C.

In addition, I also saw a drastic performance reduction in Luxmark, and it games. Minecraft stutters quite a bit in some complex scenes, where it will be very smooth when booted in to ML. No idea where a workaround could be, but I'm experiencing the issue as well.