DP4 - Graphics Problems

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

PoisonApple666

PoisonApple666

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 131 posts

I'm runnin ghte new DP4 ... It installed easily enough with the help of MyHack, however, I'm having the same troubles since DP1....namely

1.)     The Open CL ocean wave thing is still giving me scores that are about 15 to 20 percent of what I'm getting on ML (10.8.5), and,

2.)     When using the spacebar preview for graphics in Finder, the images are color corrupted .... however PDF's and text files and the like all preview just fine.

Video plays well through VLC and QuickTime and the regular preview app works perfectly well with images....it's just the Finder preview.

Would anyone have any ideas as to why this is so?

TIA

Rick

Aurora, IL.

MB     : P67a-UD7-B3

CPU   : 2600K

GPU   : EVGA GTX580 w 3GB

SMBios Def:  iMac Mid 2011  {same thing happens when using MacPro 5,1}

AREOS

AREOS

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

I also have this graphics corruption using preview, and I also have a Fermi graphics card let´s see if this is just fermi related or it also happens with other cards.

Good Luck

diskeeper

diskeeper

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I have a GTX460 (Fermi) and same here with corrupted images in quicklook.

PoisonApple666

PoisonApple666

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 131 posts

Interesting results ..... Have you guys tried the open CL benchmark?  If so, how does it compare to your ML installation?  Just curious.

I kinda thought that all of the Fermi probs were worked out already in ML ....

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

With my 670 I have the opposite problem with graphics. They display corrupted when opened normally in Preview but are fine when quicklooked. Tested with jpg and png.

PoisonApple666

PoisonApple666

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 131 posts

That's interesting Riley .... Can you preview pdf's normally?

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Yep. PDFs display fine in Preview and quicklook.

aphioner

aphioner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

have you edited applegraphicspowermanagement.kext or are you using vanilla display kexts?

PoisonApple666

PoisonApple666

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 131 posts

I'm using vanilla .... do you have any instructions (or perhaps know where to find them) for editing the AGPM kext for Mavericks?  Is this something anyone has even attempted yet for this latest OS?  I googled it but only came up with edits for earlier versions.  Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Mirone

Mirone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,881 posts
I'm getting into a black screen with a blinking cursor.
use HDMI, any ideas?
Someone with the same problem?

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,945 posts

Hi, mirone! 

Did you try to inject your card via DSDT instead of using GraphicsEnabler=Yes? It seems a problem with Chameleon built-in injector. I can boot both from my Intel HD4000 (HDMI and DVI) and and both my nVidia cards (all ports, VGA included, but i only tested VGA as a secondary monitor), but i have everything in the DSDT and use GE=No.

Alternatively, you can try Clover!

All the best!

Mirone

Mirone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,881 posts
hello, Theconnactic
My injection is a DSDT, the problem is only with HDMI, the other ports should work normally.

AREOS

AREOS

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

I'm getting into a black screen with a blinking cursor.
use HDMI, any ideas?
Someone with the same problem?

Yeah I had this issue too but only if I boot with HDMI connected, if I conect HDMI after login it works ok. I read this issue is also affecting Intel and ATI cards as well.

Maybe we get some updates for fix this in the next DP.

Mirone

Mirone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Local Moderators
  • 1,881 posts
This is a problem related to HDMI only.
I hope to correct this in the next DP.
With DVI everything works fine.

mitch_de

mitch_de

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 2,885 posts

Comment: On some cards OpenCL Oceanwave bench ist limited to 60 Hz = 60 FPS

So forget all 60.0-60.9 fps Oceanwave results if your card got much more running OS X 10.8.

My 9600 GT and now 440 GT isnt affected  running 10.9 DP1..4 = 93 FPS / 106 FPS. (same as with 10.8.4)

Try to use LUXMARK as OpenCL bench for 10.9! Its even better bench, because it uses much more OpenCL code than small+fast OceanWave.

AREOS

AREOS

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

This DP4 has some Fermi good news, in Mountain Lion I had the NVDA Channel exceptions in so many difference ways like using the finder, using safari etc, etc, etc some times pass hours before a Freeze occurs sometimes happen after 10 minutes of use. But in this DP4 I had not any NVDA Freeze using my laptop, this time is more specific to only two situations 1.- Screen sleep (a few times) and 2.- using LiveQuartz.

Someone else with Fermi who likes to share some experiences?

Good Luck!!!

PoisonApple666

PoisonApple666

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 131 posts

DP5 - Still can't use Finders Quicklook for graphics.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

And I still have the issue where Quicklook works fine, but viewing with Preview is garbled.

PoisonApple666

PoisonApple666

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 131 posts

Well Riley,

We could probably spot weld our cards together and get a GTX 1250 and our lives would still suck with Mavericks ... at least until they address these 2 probs.... but I'm still thinking that maybe it has something to do with the agpm kext?  Is there a way to edit it to get around this dilemma?   Seems I remember the early ML DP's had some graphic issues as well.  Didn't Netkas come up with some initial hex edit for it?  Seems so long ago though it really wasn't.

Just rambling ....

Comment: On some cards OpenCL Oceanwave bench ist limited to 60 Hz = 60 FPS

So forget all 60.0-60.9 fps Oceanwave results if your card got much more running OS X 10.8.

My 9600 GT and now 440 GT isnt affected  running 10.9 DP1..4 = 93 FPS / 106 FPS. (same as with 10.8.4)

Try to use LUXMARK as OpenCL bench for 10.9! Its even better bench, because it uses much more OpenCL code than small+fast OceanWave.

Took your advice.....and while the differences are not anywhere near as great, there are still some problems.  ML scores in at 1325 while Maverix scores at 840.  Granted, no where near the percentage difference I was getting with the ocean wavey thingy, but still a sizeable difference {or what I would consider to be sizeable}.  I truly appreciate your suggestion and I think you are really on to something, I just think that there may be more to the story than what meets the eye {no pun intended}.   I just have absolutely no idea what on earth it could be.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

I don't know if it's AGPM at play. I tried to enable it for the 670 but just as the desktop should load my monitor shuts off and all disk activity stops.

Obviously I have no idea what's going on with no screen but it's annoying that my card stays locked at 1GHz clock speed because I can't get Kepler power management working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy