HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

I appreciate it mnfesq but if your kext is like the original by ivik then I doubt it'll change anything.

Obviously, i've already tried using it. Twice actually. The first time I figured i'd try my luck with it without making the required DSDT edits. The second time, I made the required edits but ran into trouble when I had to make changes to _BCM _BCQ & _BCL. They don't exist in my DSDT and so I tried to luck my way through it and added them in anyway. Doing this gave me compile errors, which I ignored and upon booting, I always ran into a KP.

You're using an HP laptop right? Any chance you could post your DSDT so I could examine it? Maybe I could fix my brightness by using yours for reference. Thanks :)

I appreciate it mnfesq but if your kext is like the original by ivik then I doubt it'll change anything.

Obviously, i've already tried using it. Twice actually. The first time I figured i'd try my luck with it without making the required DSDT edits. The second time, I made the required edits but ran into trouble when I had to make changes to _BCM _BCQ & _BCL. They don't exist in my DSDT and so I tried to luck my way through it and added them in anyway. Doing this gave me compile errors, which I ignored and upon booting, I always ran into a KP.

You're using an HP laptop right? Any chance you could post your DSDT so I could examine it? Maybe I could fix my brightness by using yours for reference. Thanks :)

You can also google for "shades" with arg "mac" and install this prefpane. Is an other possibility to fix your brigthness issues.

Have fun.

You can also google for "shades" with arg "mac" and install this prefpane. Is an other possibility to fix your brigthness issues.

Have fun.

Thanks but I've used shades before and it's really nothing more than a "dimmer" app. It's not a suitable replacement for hardware functioning backlight adjustment.

Yeah, this is ivik's kext.  I've got to get better at giving proper credit for other people's work.  Here's my DSDT.  In device GFX0 there is a device called DD02.  That is my LCD display.  It has the _BCL, _BCM and _BQC methods.  I added "Name (_HID, EisaId ("LCD1234"))" to this device and that is what made brightness work with ivik's kext.

DSDT.aml.zip

Damn! That's why my brightness has been such a pain...

I forgot the reason was because unlike many people, my GFX0 isn't listed under my DSDT. It's listed under one of my SSDTs and since I use Clover's DropOemSSDT feature, I would probably have to merge mine in order to get brightness working with ivik's kext. Unfortunately, my SSDTs are almost as long and complicated (if not more) than my DSDT and I wanted to avoid merging them if possible.

Anyways, thank you. Maybe I can get lucky and add a new GFX0 section with yours as reference and it will trick it enough to work. >_<

Try copying the GFX0 from your SSDT to your DSDT.  The important thing isn't GFX0 so much as it is the devices listed under it.  You need to find your display.  If you have GFX0 in your SSDT, couldn't you add the line to your LCD display in GFX0 in your SSDT?  Either way, if you have compile errors, look for the methods or other objects in your SSDT to add to your DSDT to get it to compile.

I have little choice but to try to figure out how to do that. Unfortunately, I've already tried doing that several times already without success. My GFX0 section has TONS of devices listed under it and it is very complex and confusing when attempting to make any changes to it. I haven't checked it in awhile so I don't know off the top of my head if there is an LCD section or not. I have LID0 listed under my dsdt but as mentioned, none of the required methods for ivik's left are listed under it. Copying everything over is easy, removing the mountain of compiling errors is the real chore. I'll give it another try and we'll see where I end up.

EDIT:

So, I wasted my time trying to merge my DSDT and one of my SSDTs together to try to fix my brightness issue only to discover that Clover can load multiple SSDTs at boot. >_>

Needless to say, I was very happy when I figured this out and because of this I am now able to load the GenericBrightness kext. :)

That said, my brightness still can't be adjusted. I believe I know why now though. You see, ever since I got my 4600 working, i've been constantly trying to perfect it. I have had graphical glitches since the beginning and I still do, although now I have SIGNIFICANTLY less of them. So long story short, I am going to play around with values again until I find the right one that makes all the glitches disappear, or at least fixes the brightness adjustment. Whichever comes first.

So, stupid me for wasting my time thinking I had to merge my DSDT to get GenericBrightness working. Lesson learned. :D

UPDATE:

I was playing around with the values, trying to hit the sweet spot for my GFX when I came across a bad side-effect of keeping GenericBrightness in my kernel cache. Seems that kext keeps my display on pretty tight lockdown and if anything else tries to change it, the kext freaks out. Example, If the refresh rate on my display is switched, I get a KP. The mystery of brightness adjustment keeps getting more and more odd. >_>

Pardon my ignorance but isn't there a way to get native Apple-style brightness for laptop LCDs? I thought this was once a mystery that the good hacking people had figured out. I suppose Apple could have changed a bunch of things since then, this was afterall way back in the Leopard -> Snow Leopard days as I recall. I just never imagined my backlight brightness would be one of the most difficult puzzles to solve with OS X. *sigh*

Yes I did add that in. I am pretty sure I did everything correctly. Do you have anything like this listed in your Console log?

Acpi brightness levels:11, lowest brightness:0, highest brightness:100

UPDATE:

Um...Ok? So I got it working...sort of. >_<

Turns out, I think my replacement ACPIPlatform and/or AppleSmartBattery kexts may have caused the problem. I figured this out by removing the power adapter for a few secs and was alarmed that my battery icon didn't auto switch to saying I was running off the battery, like it normally would. I let the system sit for a second or two until the display turned off, and when I woke it back up, the brightness had changed! After that shock, I tried using the slider again and to my amazement, it worked from then on. WTH?

Well, I'm not sure what to do now. On one hand I want the slider to work without having to go through all that each time I boot, but on the other hand I need my battery icon to be displayed and accurate. Not only that, i'm concerned about reverting to the stock ACPIPlatform kext because I am pretty sure it was causing me to get KPs when I first tried out the 10.8.5b. Any suggestions? What are you using for your battery icon mnfesq?

Glad to see you are making progress!  You should check your power saving settings now that you can change your brightness.  BTW, yes, I do see the ACPI brightness levels in my boot log.  For my battery, I use iStat menu items but only for battery.  I still like menu meters and hwsensors for most other things.  Here are the kexts I use to get my battery to display correctly:

Archive.zip

Hope they help.

• Like 1

Just a quick update as I have to get ready for work and don't have much time. I tried replacing my ACPIPlatform & SmartBattery kexts with the stock 10.8.5 versions only to discover something about the stock ACPIPlatform kext refuses to generate a kernelcache with my setup. That is very bad because I would have to boot every time without caches and I will not do that. I believe it's due to me using a different kernel. As you may know, I can't boot with the stock 10.8.5, it gives me a reboot loop but my current kernel works and it's a modified 10.8.4 kernel with Haswell support added. That said, I'll have to stick with my current working kexts until I can get the stock kernel working on this machine. For this reason, I have stopped using GenericBrightness for now because using it prevents me from changing display refresh rates and switching resolutions which is a HUGE no no for playing games and testing.

Another odd behavior is during the kext swapping test, I noticed that it tried to generate power management for my CPU based on my smbios. it failed and thanks to my required AsusPMPatch fix, it will KP when it does. So, I'm wondering what is so special about the 10.8.5ACPIPlatform kext that would make it try to fix my current CPUPM setup? I will have to try to investigate this.

Lastly, I wanted to thank mnfesq again for the kext upload. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but I will and I'll update you after I do. Just wanted to acknowledge that you did upload it and express my gratitude for you doing so.

That's all for now. Alright, gotta run and get ready for work. >_>

To start, once again thank you mnfesq for the kext upload. I finally got around to messing around with those. Here are both my concerns and my findings:

1) Not to sound ungrateful but why did you include AICPUPM? You do realize that has nothing to do with the battery icon right? If anything, I would have expected to see ACPIPlatform in it's place because 10.6 Snow Leopard's version that works with VoodooBattery to identify AC adapters and batteries for many machines. Seems the more modern versions of ACPIPlatform are considerably more picky about what they allow to pass through.

2) Are you actively using these kexts now? If so, you may want to consider deleting one of them because you are using two battery injectors and you likely only need one. ACPIBattery (aka SmartBattery) will probably do you just fine alone. The only thing VoodooBattery does that the other injector does not is detect AC adapters but that is provided you have detection of that working with a corrected DSDT. Another note is AFAIK, VoodooBattery hasn't been actively updated in a LONG time.

3) I'm using the most recent version of ACPIBattery I could find. Until I perform some more DSDT edits, it won't even detect my battery. However, It does display the menubar icon and everything appears correct in the power settings pref pane. So, i'll be looking into fixing that later. As long as it can detect when I plug in AC power and when it's disconnected, I see no reason why I shouldn't rely on it for future use. So, thank you again for your upload and subsequently for suggesting it. Because of this I can update my ACPIPlatform kext to the newer 10.8.4 version and get even better and more authentic PM. :)

Oops, you are correct about AICPUPM, it was next to ACPIPlatform and I added the wrong kext to the archive.  Here's the ACPIPlatform that works with SmartBattery.  As for Voodoo, all I know is that I have all battery/AC functions working and have used both for quite some time (Lion days.)  Whether I actually need Voodoo, I can't really say.  Try it and see if it makes any difference.  If not, toss it.  I have noticed that if I unplug the AC and replug it back in a moment later, it will switch to battery power and will not detect the AC.  If, however, the battery level drops below 100%, when I replug in the AC adapter, it will detect it right away and begin charging.

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

No worries, just wanted to make you aware that's all. :)

Yup, as expected! The ACPIPlatform you uploaded is the Snow Leopard version. I was using that too for the same reason. It picks up non-Apple batteries better than the modern ones do.

You should kick VoodooBattery out of your S/L/E or where ever you have it installed at. It's more than likely not doing you any good since you have the other injector. It might even fix the issues you're facing now with battery/AC detection. Having two injectors for the same purpose has always been seen as doing more harm than good in the osx86 community. Like I mentioned, the only good it serves is it has AC detection in ioreg where the other injector did not. Otherwise, it's just another injector that is horribly outdated. Give it a try sometime and see what happens. Besides, worse case is i'm wrong and you just reinstall it. :)

Anyways, if you're interested, the attachment is the method I was using to get my battery displayed. I say was because I really should try to keep using the ACPIPlatform from 10.8.4 so I can keep using all the PM features it offers. Obviously though if I can't get my battery back without it, then i'll have to pick and choose. The ACPIPlatform included is the same as the one you uploaded, so you probably won't need to use it but I provided it anyway, just in case.

However, I uploaded it for you to try. After seeing that you have been having delay issues with your current method, mine quite possibly might fix that if the other method above doesn't work. The kexts in mine almost always picked up everything I did with my battery just about instantly. I never had any issues with it detecting me unplugging or plugging in. It was almost always dead on the money. Give it a shot, you might like it more. Otherwise I worry something in your DSDT is off. Delay problems like that usually are a sign of an DSDT edit or a setup problem. No matter what, it's not good to have PM problems like that on a laptop. Sometimes, they can't be helped much either though. >_<

10.8_Battery_Support.zip

So I deleted Voodoo Battery kext.  Yes, it was extraneous.  I tried your battery support files - no change.  They seem to be the same as mine and, at a minimum, work the same.  I still have the delay in recognizing power state changes and, particularly, can't get the AC recognized unless the power level drops below 100%.  Not really a big deal but I like testing out stuff in the event that I may get my installation that much closer to perfect.

BTW, I spent some time trying to see if I could get my card reader to work.  It is a Realtek PCIe card reader (10EC:5229) and it appears there is simply no support for the card reader I have.  It has never been an issue for me since I don't use SD cards but, again, i was looking to enhance the functionality of my installation.

Oh well, it was worth trying out. At least you freed your system by 1 extra kext though so that's good. That's all I'm looking to do now too. Just trying to fix the bugs really. My only real issues now are trying get my brightness to work properly without having the inconviences that GenericBrightness was causing. Updating my ACPIPlatform has caused me to lose my battery support, so I have to fix that but in doing so, I gained SpeedStep, or at least my CPU has dynamic frenquenies working now. So, that's good and if I have to downgrade ACPIPlatform again to get my battery support back, I'm probably going to lose that. I'm also planning on looking into getting my PCIe graphics working since Apple added support into their iMacs.

My SD card reader doesn't work either. I also have a Realtek PCIe but I don't know the dev ids off the top of my head. I'll add them up when I'm on my computer again to check. It's probably similar too yours though. Closest I got to getting it working was through VoodooSDHC kext. It could detect it but it couldn't make it work. Oh well...

I tried upgrading from ACPIPlatform version 1.3.5 to 1.3.6.  All I got was a KP.  Just like every other version of ACPIPlatform since 1.3.5.  I cannot seem to boot up unless I am using version 1.3.5.

Getting panics from ACPIPlatform can have several causes. You should check the panic screen to see where it's having trouble. It should say something right before the panic ex:) CPU0, etc...

If you are using a SleepEnabler kext, they can cause panics. VoodooHDA is also a known cause of KPs with ACPIPlatform. You should investigate what kexts you are using and do your best to minimize what you need vs what you can live without. I get absolutely no panics with ACPIPlaform. The only versions of ACPIPlaform I currently can't use are the stock versions bundled with 10.8.5 & 10.9 but that's because of how they were made. Something about them is different from previous versions. That's why I get panics. Yours is probably related to other kexts though from the sound of things.

On a side note, does your AC adapter have AppleACPIACAdapter loaded for it in ioreg? If not, I may have a solution for your battery plugin/unplug delay. Let me know.

I am using VoodooHDA.kext but that's because I was able to add a device for my subwoofer.  Do you have all of your speakers working with AppleHDA?  If so, are they a single device or multiple devices?  I know you use AppleHDA and I would like to try that out but not at the loss of my subwoofer.  My audio is so tinny without that subwoofer.  However, if I switched to AppleHDA, I could try using a newer version of AppleACPIPlatform.  Who knows, I may still get a KP.

Thanks, Charlie! I will investigate and possibly test this provided I get some free time. Good find. :D

I am using VoodooHDA.kext but that's because I was able to add a device for my subwoofer.  Do you have all of your speakers working with AppleHDA?  If so, are they a single device or multiple devices?  I know you use AppleHDA and I would like to try that out but not at the loss of my subwoofer.  My audio is so tinny without that subwoofer.  However, if I switched to AppleHDA, I could try using a newer version of AppleACPIPlatform.  Who knows, I may still get a KP.

I thought you were using VoodooHDA. As I recall, you sent me your kext for testing. Yeah, i'm using AppleHDA for my audio. Considering the amount of time I spent getting it to work with it, of course i'm using it, lol. I only have my headphones/webcam mic and basic speakers working using it. Both my sub and my HDMI audio don't work with it. that's probably what's causing the KP with ACPIPlatform for you though. AFAIK, Apple's HDA kext doesn't support multiple devices such as subwoofers because no authentic Macs (to my knowledge) have anything like that built-into them so they just don't support it. Even HDMI isn't natively supported though AppleHDA. It must be patched in through both the HDA binary and through the native framebuffer binary before it will work. Again, this is all based on my current understanding of how it works. Some of that info may be incorrect. So that is probably the cause. If you can't live without your sub, then stick with what you've got. I mainly use my headphones so missing the sub isn't much of an issue for me and with all the BS that is required to get HDMI audio working, it's just another thing I can live without. Now if a patch ever comes along that makes it an easier process, maybe i'll look into getting those devices working but until that happens, I am quite pleased with what I have. :D

The sound quality is really good when it is fully functional.  I use OS X primarily for entertainment, not work.  My wife and I watch downloaded TV shows and movies together on it and it is our only "sound system" for music.  It really provides a good entertainment experience.  My headphones output is also quite good but I seldom use them because I tend to watch videos with my laptop on a coffee table at least 3 feet away from me.  BTW, I have been using an app called Flutter and it allows me to control iTunes and VLC media player using hand gestures so I don't have to lean over to start or stop videos or to fast forward or rewind.  It uses the webcam to do this.  I see this as the way of the future since touch screens have always seemed like a flawed concept to me.