HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

Thanks for the suggestion Mahesh, unfortunately, the Broadcom lead I mentioned previously, was this exact same card. The price is just too high. I've only seen it listed on eBay and the lowest I could find was $100. That is just too expensive for a card. Unless of course you know of another place that sells it for cheap. Thanks again though.

Yeah the price is too much i know. I'm also searching for a wifi card myself for my Lenovo G580. Now i'm asking myself do i really need a bluetooth. 

Agreed. The price is totally outrageous IMO. When I get some time, i'm gonna try to look more into an older card. I assume the price will be much lower if I just settle for a card using BT 3 instead of BT 4. We'll see though I guess. I can't believe how much of a pain this is turning out to be. :(

Hi,

I was following your guide of post 20, but I am stuck at Install and properly setup Chameleon: Number 4

The folders don't exist???

Can you upload it again?

Thank you!

Wow! People are actually using that guide?! Sorry, I very quickly wrote it for someone else and I'm not even sure that they ever used it. I figured no one would to be honest. I hate to tell you this but it's EXTREMELY outdated now. Technically, the majority of the guide is still fine, it's just the parts that rely on my kexts, my progress, etc. that are outdated. I'm not even using Chameleon anymore. Soooooooo...yeah. >_>

That said, if you still want to continue, I've updated the zip archive and you should re-download it. It has [uPDATED] next to it so you can tell which one you need to get. I added the org.chameleon.Boot.plist back into it since i'm pretty sure it's what you were missing before. Otherwise, it's exactly the same, just has a few folders now. Sorry, but obviously that "guide" just doesn't get updated and it probably never will.

Hello Gygabyte,

I do not mean to rush you, but I just found your thread and have an Envy 17-j092nr.  Might you please update your guide based on the Clover bootloader you currently run?  I will be happy to share my findings if it will help.  Thank you so much!  Sorry I could not help earlier.

Best Regards,

jpsys

Hi jpsys,

Sorry, but as mentioned in my previous post, the guide I wrote isn't being actively updated. Mainly, due to the fact that several, better guides exist both here on IM and scattered across the web. Secondly, there really isn't a surefire, universal method for every machine type. That said, the process is pretty similar. The only differences are my kernel. For whatever reason, I can't use the stock vanilla kernel for 10.8.5 with either Chameleon or for Clover. My kernel is the custom 10.8.4 kernel with Haswell support added. Google is your friend. Other than that, using any standard Clover guide should suffice. Just make sure if you install Clover with UEFI, you select and install OsxAptioFixDrv too. Otherwise it will probably hang. I'll try to update the main page with install files and info soon. Files are live now! Good luck. :-)

Hello Gygabyte,

Got it, thanks.  I have been trying to get to the install screen via the Clover bootloader, but I seem to always get the reboot problem as soon as the kernel starts, and I am stuck on that step.  I have checked the OSXAptioFixDrv option using the Clover Installer application when preparing the USB stick.  I am attempting a few other options-- if you have any pearls of wisdom, I thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

JPSys

Hello Gygabyte,

Got it, thanks.  I have been trying to get to the install screen via the Clover bootloader, but I seem to always get the reboot problem as soon as the kernel starts, and I am stuck on that step.  I have checked the OSXAptioFixDrv option using the Clover Installer application when preparing the USB stick.  I am attempting a few other options-- if you have any pearls of wisdom, I thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

JPSys 

Just to be sure, try using an earlier version of Clover, such as rev. 2165.  I can't get the new versions to go past the point where you have problems too.

• Like 1

What mnfesq said. I discovered I have to stay on or below r2133 otherwise my audio breaks. So be wary of the versions you play with.

Other than that, it depends really on your system and hardware. You have a different model than mine so things will likely be different for both of us. If you haven't yet, make and fix your dsdt. After that, just play around with the options. You're especially gonna want to enable the kernel patch for the CPU and very likely the lapic patch too. If you're trying to install a retail 10.8.5 install, you should look into a replacement kernel. I still can't load the vanilla stock 10.8.5 kernel and I'm assuming you probably can't either. Google search for a 10.8.4 kernel patched for Has well (assuming you have a Haswell).

I couldn't get around to it today but I was planning to release my files today since my progress has halted for now but I never got around to it. Maybe tomorrow if I can get some free time. They might help you. So keep an eye out.

Good luck. ^_^

UPDATE

Following Gygabyte's earlier guide, I was able to get to the install screen using installer files from 10.8.2 and Chameleon.  Does Clover have the same KernelPatcher.dylib file that Chameleon does in order to get past the reboot loop?

Thanks mnfesq for your insight, I will update you on my progress.  Thanks Gygabyte!

Best Regards,

JPSys

• Like 1

Thanks mnfesq!  I have 10.8.2 installed and was able to boot into it using -v -x after a kernel panic without safeboot.  Do you think the Lapic Kernel Patcher above will work for Clover on 10.8.2, since Gygabyte seemed to have no luck with installs later than 10.8.4?

Thanks again!

Good work everyone, and thank you for sharing all your notes.

I'm also trying to setup ML 10.8.5 on my new HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad. After applying the Haswell Patch and restoring some of the kext from the 10.8.4, I have made some progress in the initial boot. But it's getting stuck at:

DSMOS has arrived

From looking at the other threads, it looks like an issue with display driver. I only have Intel HD 4600 Mobile (no discrete GPU). Since, some of you are able to do the 10.8.5 installation on similar variants, so I'm hoping this laptop can support OS-X too. However, no matter what boot parameters I give, I get this same stuck issue. I also tried removing the IntelHD files form extensions as suggested by some posts.

Any ideas or help?

Regards, Akbar

The patcher was stated to change the way the kernel is patched to apply to changes made to the kernel in 10.9.  You should be able to use Clover/Chameleon for the LAPIC patch.  

In the meantime, I posted my problem with the newest versions of Clover on the Clover discussion post and got the response that I should disable kernel patch.  I did so and the newest version of Clover worked just fine.  However, there is a difference in Clover between the kernel patch and the LAPIC patch.  If you use Clover Configurator, like I do, just be sure that the kernel cpu box is unchecked.  You can keep the kernel lapic box checked for 10.8.x installations and it will still work fine.

Wow! You guys have been busy chatting it up since I last checked in huh?

Anyway, I uploaded my current setup files for 10.8.5. Now everyone has access to what i've been using. Hopefully, someone will find some use in them. :)

Good work everyone, and thank you for sharing all your notes.

I'm also trying to setup ML 10.8.5 on my new HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad. After applying the Haswell Patch and restoring some of the kext from the 10.8.4, I have made some progress in the initial boot. But it's getting stuck at:

DSMOS has arrived

From looking at the other threads, it looks like an issue with display driver. I only have Intel HD 4600 Mobile (no discrete GPU). Since, some of you are able to do the 10.8.5 installation on similar variants, so I'm hoping this laptop can support OS-X too. However, no matter what boot parameters I give, I get this same stuck issue. I also tried removing the IntelHD files form extensions as suggested by some posts.

Any ideas or help?

Regards, Akbar

Are you rebuilding your kextcache correctly? If you are using Chameleon, move all of your /Extra/Extensions into S/L/E first and then use these commands before you reboot to rebuild your kextcache, press enter after each line:

sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -v 1 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
kextcache -system-caches

Afterwards, reboot as normal and you will be able to boot using the updated kextcache. Provided, you don't have any outstanding issues left to resolve.

Be wary of what you are replacing with 10.8.4 files too. I only needed to replace ACPIPlatform & the stock kernel to get mine to boot. Downgrading too many kexts and/or removing too many of them will often result in boot issues. With the exception of the GeForce, our machines are probably not that different. You should take a look at my newly uploaded setup files on the first post. They will likely be useful to you. ;p

For what it's worth, the LAPIC patch in Clover does not work with 10.9 Mavericks.  I found a patcher that worked great for me.  Here it is:

attachicon.gifLapic Kernel Patcher.zip

Hey mnfesq. Why did you remove the README.txt file from my Lapic Kernel Patcher?

Also I contacted gsly a couple of months ago about the changes in Mavericks LAPIC code, but he never submitted an update to clover for it. If he's not going to, then I guess I can whenever I get some free time.

• Like 3

Hey mnfesq. Why did you remove the README.txt file from my Lapic Kernel Patcher?

Also I contacted gsly a couple of months ago about the changes in Mavericks LAPIC code, but he never submitted an update to clover for it. If he's not going to, then I guess I can whenever I get some free time.

Hey, you're the guy that made the lapic patcher.  Many thanks!  I hate to say it but the only reason I didn't include the readme file is that when you make an archive of two or more files, it's just called archive.zip and I would have to rename it.  Just compressing the patcher kept it's original name.  No disrespect intended towards you, just some laziness on my part.  Here's the readme.txt file that goes with donovan6000's lapic patcher:

README.txt

• Like 2

Hey, you're the guy that made the lapic patcher.  Many thanks!  I hate to say it but the only reason I didn't include the readme file is that when you make an archive of two or more files, it's just called archive.zip and I would have to rename it.  Just compressing the patcher kept it's original name.  No disrespect intended towards you, just some laziness on my part.  Here's the readme.txt file that goes with donovan6000's lapic patcher:

attachicon.gifREADME.txt

I liked this purely because of the epic laziness. It made me laugh. ^_^

• Like 2

Since we somehow managed to trick you in here, maybe you could answer a question of two donovan6000...

I've been reading through your blog concerning ACPI controlled keys: http://donovan6000.blogspot.com/2013/08/acpi-controlled-keys.html

Good, interesting read by the way. I'm trying to fix my brightness but I can't ever seem to get anything to work with it. I've tried out GenericBrightness.kext too but no luck there either. Here's the interesting part. I recently discovered that if I run off the battery, my screen will slightly dim, like it should. It's by such a small amount however, that I had to reconnect my adapter several times to check it make sure I wasn't crazy. So, something good must be going on there...

Anyway, any tips for getting this figured out? You made it work with your HP lappy, so maybe you have some tips for us? Your blog about this is very interesting but sadly, with all the examples you provide, my dsdt is VASTLY different than yours and my keys aren't so easily labeled either. So, trying to figure that out has been quite the chore. Links to my dsdts are available on the first post of this thread.

Ultimately, How do you test if the system uses ACPI keys? This isn't a field i'm very familiar with sadly. I just need my brightness to work. I can only assume mine does use it purely on the fact that it's a new model but that is purely a guess and nothing more. Please, share some wisdom if you can. It will be greatly appreciated.  :)

P.S. -- I tried to comment on that page on your blog but I don't know if it went through or not. Seemed like it had a technical heart attack or something.

• Like 2

Be wary of what you are replacing with 10.8.4 files too. I only needed to replace ACPIPlatform & the stock kernel to get mine to boot. Downgrading too many kexts and/or removing too many of them will often result in boot issues. With the exception of the GeForce, our machines are probably not that different. You should take a look at my newly uploaded setup files on the first post. They will likely be useful to you. ;p

gygabyte666,

I can't thank you enough for your instructions and setup files. Guess what, I'm able to Install Mountain Lion with nearly all the features/functions (Display, Keyboard, Trackpad,  etc) as you have listed on your first page. It's more than enough to do the basics work. Thanks again, and if there is any further development on any of the items, please keep posting updates here. There are many following you.

One question though. Do you think it's safe to install Clover boot loader on installed partition? I'm currently booting OS-X from the USB Disk. I'm little concerned about installing this on disk as if something goes wrong, it may mess up my Windows and HP Recovery partition.

Best Regards, Akbar

• Like 1

Glad you got it working. I greatly appreciate the encouraging words and appreciation. If you yourself come across any fixes or enhancements, please try to remember to give back. That's all I ask. :)

Yes! Concerning your second question. Absolutely install it to the internal HDD if you're all setup and comfortable. It has been working fantastic for me, I assume it'll do the same for you.

@gygabyte666 Are you that guy I was talking to on bios-mod.com about the APIC settings? Your name looks very familar.

So here's the whole story. For my laptop, after I got QE/Cl working, I patched my DSDT with PNLF SB patch:

Device (PNLF)
{
	Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
	Name (_CID, "backlight")
	Name (_UID, 0x0A)
	Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}

Which would make the slider under the Display pane in System Prefrences to change the brightness of the backlight. Unfortunatley the brightness keys on the keyboard didn't work. So I was using the debug version rehabman's voodooPS2 kext to see which scancodes were related to each of my keys. I noticed that my fn+F2, fn+F3, and fn+F4 keys didn't produce any scan code, so I couldn't even map them with voodooPS2.

This ment that they were controlled by the ACPI. So I eventually found Dolnor's IOWMIFaimly.kext, which is supposed to allow the keys to be mapped to their repective functions. Of course it didn't work right away, and I gave up after a few days of trying it and just accepted that my brightness keys would never work -_-

Then one day, I saw someone had released a kext for ASUS laptops with ACPI keys. I looked at the DSDT that they uploaded and compared it to the orignal from the stock bios for their laptop to see if they had changed anything. Lol I had a lot of free time earlier this year to do stuff like that. Quickly saw how they had the keys send the specified hex values to the ACPI to trigger that key's unique brightness event.

I assumed my DSDT wasn't doing this, and that's why IOWMIFamily wasn't working. Spent a few hours looking through my DSDT to see how this I could implement it. Eventually I got it working. Last thing I needed for a 100%  working hackintosh :thumbsup_anim:

I know this is a hard thing to get working, especially because there is no other tutorial expect mine that go into it.

@gygabyte666 Are you that guy I was talking to on bios-mod.com about the APIC settings? Your name looks very familar.

So here's the whole story. For my laptop, after I got QE/Cl working, I patched my DSDT with PNLF SB patch:

Device (PNLF)
{
	Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
	Name (_CID, "backlight")
	Name (_UID, 0x0A)
	Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}

Which would make the slider under the Display pane in System Prefrences to change the brightness of the backlight. Unfortunatley the brightness keys on the keyboard didn't work. So I was using the debug version rehabman's voodooPS2 kext to see which scancodes were related to each of my keys. I noticed that my fn+F2, fn+F3, and fn+F4 keys didn't produce any scan code, so I couldn't even map them with voodooPS2.

This ment that they were controlled by the ACPI. So I eventually found Dolnor's IOWMIFaimly.kext, which is supposed to allow the keys to be mapped to their repective functions. Of course it didn't work right away, and I gave up after a few days of trying it and just accepted that my brightness keys would never work -_-

Then one day, I saw someone had released a kext for ASUS laptops with ACPI keys. I looked at the DSDT that they uploaded and compared it to the orignal from the stock bios for their laptop to see if they had changed anything. Lol I had a lot of free time earlier this year to do stuff like that. Quickly saw how they had the keys send the specified hex values to the ACPI to trigger that key's unique brightness event.

I assumed my DSDT wasn't doing this, and that's why IOWMIFamily wasn't working. Spent a few hours looking through my DSDT to see how this I could implement it. Eventually I got it working. Last thing I needed for a 100%  working hackintosh :thumbsup_anim:

I know this is a hard thing to get working, especially because there is no other tutorial expect mine that go into it.

HAHA! I knew I knew you from somewhere else, lol. I just couldn't put my finger on where until now. As I recall, you also pointed me to your Lapic Kernel Patcher back then too. :)

Anyway, thank you for the in depth insight into your method. Clearly, I have something else wrong in my DSDT because although I have the brightness slider displayed, it is purely cosmetic and doesn't actually work for me. So, something else must be wrong. I'll have to look into that later. I apologize for the late reply but I got extremely sick recently and I barely had the energy to turn on my computer, much less actually get anything done on it. >_<

To control brightness with keyboard strokes, I use an app called KeyRemap4MacBook.  I just set the brightness to decrease by pressing F1 and to increase by pressing F2.  

Thanks for the info. As mentioned above, my setup must have issues since my brightness slider doesn't work at all. I'll have a look into this when i'm feeling better. :(