HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

OK, let's start with the easiest first - audio.  Here is a voodoohda.kext that is modded to include our subwoofer as a separate audio device (I couldn't manage to combine it with the front speakers.)

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

In order to get both subwoofer and front speakers to play together, you need to create a multi-output device.  Use audio midi setup to do this. Make the volume ratio about 3:2 with front speakers louder than subwoofer. In other words, if front speaker volume is 100%, make subwoofer volume about 66%.

Once you have the multi-output device enabled for all purposes, you will lose the volume control (that happens on real macs as well).  I use a free app called PTHVolume.  To get this to load at boot up, go into the prefpane and copy the actual app to login items in system preferences.

I have a custom SSDT and you should make one yourself.  I used MaciASL to extract the SSDT.  But that did not give me full speedstepping without the correct smbios.plist.  What worked for me was MacBookPro8,3.  That may or may not be the best for you.

As for wifi, I don't believe you should use a combo card, particularly if you dual boot with windows. The Envy has separate slots for wifi and bluetooth.  Separate cards seem to work best, although I did try a combo card.  The biggest problem with the combo card is that the firmware for bluetooth did not load well.  There may have been progress with the kext that I used but I chose to go with a hardware fix because this is all such low-cost hardware.  For wifi, I use the Atheros 9285 pci-e half-mini card.  My bluetooth is the Broadcom 2070, also a pci-e half-mini card.

As for your GPU, you DON'T need a separate SSDT for it.  Since you are using Chameleon, do you have the right efi-injection?  Here's what I used to use when I ran Chameleon:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>8800000001000000010000007c0000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff0400100000006d006f00640065006c0000001a000000496e74656c20484420477261706869637320343030302c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000004006601</string>

That's enough for now.  Let me know if you made any progress.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kext but sadly it produced the same results I had with the latest VoodooHDA I tried. The audio is unbearable. It works yes but it stutters and crackles so much that it isn't even useful. As I mentioned before, I sort of have AppleHDA working and I think that's gonna be my best bet for an audio solution. Besides, the less 3rd party kexts I need to rely on, the better off i'll be. Just need to try out the codec/node patching soon.

Tried using MaciASL to regenerate a new SSDT but it doesn't seem to work for my hardware. It just kept giving me errors. :(

I'll have to snag my model's spec sheet from HP. They decided to give me my WiFi+Bluetooth on one pcie-half mini card, which sucked. I am not even sure I have another slot for a seperate bluetooth card. Hopefully I do, so I can just pickup both cards. Will have to look into this further later. Thanks for the suggestions for cards! I'll keep that in mind for when purchase time rolls around.

I figured using efi-injections were obsoleted by DSDT/SSDT patches by now for GPUs. Hmm, how did you extract yours? Obviously, yours won't work with mine since you have a 4000 and I have a 4600. Good to know though. If I can manage to extract that from mine and it works, I won't need to mess with my SSDTs.  :)

I plan to try out Clover again when I can. I also need to reinstall 10.8.5b for testing as well. Wish I had the time now but gotta go to work soon >_<

Thanks again! ^_^

Audio - did you remove the AppleHDA.kext before installing the VoodooHDA.kext?  Did you create a multi-output device?  Was it made up of Speaker (analog) and Speaker (multi)?  The crackling may have to do with your CPU functioning properly. Does it?

Video - until you have Haswell support, you're going to lack video drivers.  

When I get a chance, I will post my Clover install options and config.plist.  I doubt it will work for you the same as for me because your hardware is so much newer than mine.  That's the price you pay for having the newest system on the block.

In the meantime, check this out:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290783-intel-hd-graphics-4600-haswell-working-displayport/?do=findComment&comment=1934467

Yes, I removed AppleHDA before testing Voodoo. Doesn't make any difference if AppleHDA exists or not, it still acts the same way. It's not really a crackling either, more like a stutter, like it's skipping really badly. No options for me to create multi-output device. I had many inputs/outputs. I had Speaker (analog), Speaker (multi), HDMI, Headphones and 2 Mics. Since I have to rely on using NullCPUPM, I assume that my CPU doesn't function properly. All 8 threads are counted for but i'm pretty sure that's just because Chameleon's kernelpatcher is helping.

Yup! Believe me, I know. That's why I need to figure out a way to get 10.8.5b to act more stable. 10.8-10.8.4 are fine but since so much of my hardware relies on the drivers for 10.8.5b, the stability of it running with this machine is quite low.

Having your Clover setup as example might help. Maybe it just doesn't support my system yet, maybe my setup is way off, I just don't know. All I know is that Chameleon is the only thing working right now, which is why i've stuck with it. I'd much rather move to Clover though.

Thanks for the link! I've read through it before, but i'm gonna do it again and try to just add an IGPU section right into my DSDT. I'm sick of screwing around with my SSDTs and getting nowhere.

I had many inputs/outputs. I had Speaker (analog), Speaker (multi), HDMI, Headphones and 2 Mics.

It appears that you may not have known how to create a multi-output device using Audio Midi Setup.  Here is a link to a tutorial:

http://www.sethwebster.com/2012/07/18/mac-osx-lion-output-sound-to-multiple-devices/

The two devices to include in the multi-output device is speaker (analog) and speaker (multi).  

As for stuttering, check out some of the options mentioned here:

http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=454

As for clover, here are the options I selected on installation:

post-270804-0-85253000-1377193745_thumb.png

And here is my config.plist:

config.plist.zip

My HP Envy did not allow me to install to EFI partition.  I installed Clover to my OS X partition using the Legacy method.

Let me know if you make any progress.

Ok, I appreciate the info. I'll try it again soon and get back to you with any results. :)

On the same note, may I ask why you are relying on Voodoo for your audio? If you have similar hardware, you should be able to get AppleHDA working, which is typically much more stable and is official. As mentioned before, I already have that working, but something isn't configured right since my audio isn't producing sound. All my ports are detected though (minus HDMI audio) and I can adjust volume like a real Mac.

I checked that site before for troubleshooting the stuttering but I never found anything that helped fix it.

Hmm, when I find a bit more time i'll have to try out Clover again and try to incorporate some of the options you're using. It can't hurt. Thanks!

I use Voodoo because it was easier for me to map the subwoofer.  I'm not a computer guru and it was really hard for me to learn how to generate the correct code to locate it.  Then, it was really easy to add it to the Info.plist.  I am certainly willing to learn to use Applehda.  In time, that may happen.

I'm thinking that until you have native power management, your may get audio stuttering.  Need to get rid of that NullCPUManagment.kext.  Try these kexts and see if it works instead:

Archive.zip

Keep at it.  If it was easy, it wouldn't be fun.

• Like 1

Ok, i'm gonna make this quick because 1) my battery is dying and 2) it's late and I should be in bed. Just wanted to write down my experiment while it's fresh in my mind.

I went through the process again. Made sure AppleHDA was removed and reinstalled your VoodooHDA. Setup multi-output device and it went through just fine. Oddly enough, the volume slider still worked even after I had the multi-output enabled. Sadly, no change in terms of sound quality. To be sure, I tested out my USB audio card, which normally works great under OS X and sure enough, the stuttering persists using that as well. It's looking like it is my lack of CPU support afterall. That really sucks for now considering I have no method to fix it. All is not lost though because while I was using Voodoo, I used the official getdump tool to dump my audio information. I figure, even if the stuttering is there making the audio basically useless to me, it's still working audio and maybe the information from the dump will help me fix AppleHDA at a later date.

I also tried out your provided kexts from the archive above. Of course, I removed NullCPUPM before testing them out but it doesn't matter. It still threw a KP at CPUPM as expected. It's looking more and more like I really am going to have to wait until the 10.8.5 final is released. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the changes (or possible lack thereof) that Apple makes to the final build. Hopefully, those changes will be in my favor.

Lastly, for kicks I made a post in the HD 4600 support thread here and got a few replies. Hopefully some good will come of that too. Time will tell I suppose. Post is here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290783-intel-hd-graphics-4600-haswell-working-displayport/?p=1940442

Ok, said what I needed to. Going to bed now. Assuming I don't sleep all day, perhaps there will be more testing fun tomorrow.

Got it! Updated the first post to reflect this too but my audio is fixed!

I re-patched a clean AppleHDA using my codec dump info and all is well now. Audio works and most ports are correctly identified. The subwoofer and HDMI aren't currently detected and neither of them work but that's ok for now, they are both low priority fixes i'll look more into later or whenever I get around to it.

The stuttering still exists but the fact remains that I can actually hear audio playing now. So, I'm gonna classify the audio issue as solved and assume that the VoodooHDA kext is working properly as well since they both yield the same sound quality results.

I only have 2 high priority pieces left to fix and this system will be in good shape. My CPU and my GFX are all that's left before this system can really start being used. It's a good day! :)

• Like 2

Guess what's working now...

4600HD_systprof_after.png

Thanks to Cobra03 for their support and for providing the needed DSDT values. First posted updated to reflect this change. ^_^

C'mon CPU support! That's the last piece of this system's puzzle.

• Like 2

@gygabyte666

I see great progress. I guess it won't be long now. :) Btw, do you have any idea how to remove the hard drives in this laptop? Really wanna begin trying to get this up and running myself. Was scared as heck before. Anyway, great job!

Hopefully not. Depends on what the 10.8.5 final looks like. CPU support could make or break this system.

Um...yeah, taking out the hard drive is just like any other computer. Unscrew the bottom and go to town. If you need more, the service manual will tell you everything you need and then some. Get it here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03733756.pdf

Uh-huh. I see how it is. Waiting for me to get all the work done, so you can reap all the rewards? Shame on you. ;p

Uh-huh. I see how it is. Waiting for me to get all the work done, so you can reap all the rewards? Shame on you. ;p

When it comes to OSx86, we are all leaders for some and followers for others.

• 1 month later...

Heh, thank you! ^_^

It'd be pretty cool if it was true but honestly, I doubt it. IM has always had some talented people, and through the support i've recieved, i woukdn't be surprised if the title of first Haswell laptop went to someone else. I just might be the only one who documented success story. Still...it'd be pretty cool just the same. Lol

Posted this on the first page already but i'll repost it here too. Hopefully, someone with the knowledge can see it and reply with good news for me. I mentioned this when I first started this thread, which feels like such a LONG time ago now. For those who weren't around, i'll recap:

Long story short, my wireless card will NEVER work with OS X. I always knew this. So, I swapped it out with one from my other machine. This was only intended to be a temporary solution until I got the system to the point where I felt like I should invest into a replacement. Anyway, that time has come and I need advice from those wiser than myself.

All that said, I didn't take into account the possibility of HP boning me by building my machine with only 1 half-mini card slot. So, there goes the idea to use 2 different cards (1 = wireless, 1 = bluetooth) and since my original card was a dual Bluetooth+Wireless card, I lost Bluetooth support since the switch. I'm aiming to get it back without wasting a USB port with a dongle. Can anyone kindly recommend me a new card? Obviously, I would much rather prefer this card to be a 2-in-1 Bluetooth+Wireless and it would be AWESOME if it was either natively supported, or only requires a simple DSDT edit to work with OS X. I hope one exists...Oh and please, no recommendations for a card you assume will work. It should be confirmed. I don't have the cash to waste on maybe cards. Keeping the price as cheap as possible is another MEGA plus. ;p

Thanks in advance! ^_^

OK, I verified that you do only have one pci-e half mini card slot for wifi/bt.  I used one on my HP Envy 17t-3200 CTO but ultimately switched to separate cards for wifi and bt because that's how that laptop is designed.  The combo card that worked for me was the Atheros AR5B195 pci-e half mini card.  Here's a link for it on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atheros-AR5B195-AR3011-WiFi-WLAN-Bluetooth-Combo-Half-Mini-PCI-E-Card-PA3894U-/300959708175?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item461298b40f

The drawbacks I found were that it's only BT 3.0, not 4.0, the BT firmware does not load consistently (unless I boot into Windows first) and I get faster wifi transfer rates with my current Atheros wifi-only card (AR9258).  The plus is that it's sure to work.  

My understanding is that there has been advances to the BT kext for the AR5B195.  It used to break sleep.  I believe it is called IOath3kNull.kext.  

BTW - If you don't already have this, you might find it useful:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03922401.pdf

Thanks for the info mnfesq! I'll look into that card more when I can.

I think i'm gonna try to do some research into Broadcom cards too. I am currently using one and I know how they perform. Not to mention almost every Bluetooth supported with OS X uses some kind of Broadcom chip so I trust them enough to invest into. I just need to get some time to look into a 2-in-1 card and hope they offer one. Otherwise, you're suggest might be my best option. I'd like to have as little trouble with the new card as possible.

Excuse me if I am wrong since I didn't check out the PDF you linked to but i'm assuming the last link is for my model's service manual. If so, then yes I have already got it and looked at it extensively. They are a great source of information.

Well, I had a decent lead on a Broadcom card but it fell through due to price. It was WAY too expensive. Back to square one. It's a shame too, I love BCM cards. I'm open to Atheros too though. Ralink is pretty much out of the question for me though, just due to the fact that many of them require separate drivers and their own utility at boot-time. If I have to I'll downgrade to using an older card (BT 3.0, etc) but I would really like to try to find something that works with BT 4.0 and 5Ghz Wifi would be fantastic. That's all optional perks though for me. If anyone has any thoughts, or suggestions please fill me in. ^_^