HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

No proof... you didn't provide the files requested in guide post #1, "Problem Reporting".

:-)

You get nothing! ;p

Nah, I finally got it sorted out for this my machines. It ended up being data conflicts. I was using pinconfig info from older installs with working audio to build my newer 10.10+ injectors and that extra data was enough to cause the injector to fail and for all my headaches. It sounds simple enough but trust me, this one had me almost ripping my hair out for weeks. I guess there is just some data that 10.10+ audio injectors not only don't need but refuse to load if it exists.  I'll be spending the next week or so fixing this in ALL of my injectors so I never have to deal with this again.

Just two more machines to go *sadface* All done! Everything is back to working properly again! :D

UPDATE: There's a bit more to this actually. Including what's written above, I found that the REAL culprit behind my HDA frustrations was multiple injectors causing conflicts with one another. You see, I have 10.11.x installed on a USB drive for testing and each of my machines has a different audio codec so naturally, each needs their own injector with different data to get HDA working. I had 3 injectors installed and I found that only one of them would load at a time. This makes sense considering each of them shares certain similarities, including version numbers. So, it mostly came down to this being the major problem that I wasn't aware of until today. I remedied and future-proofed this issue from occurring again by combining all the data needed for multiple machines into one big injector. So for those who don't know, it is very UNWISE to try to have multiple HDA injectors on the same install of OS X since only one will load. Feels great to finally put this one to rest. Go me! ;p

Thanks again to everyone who offered to help me with it! ^_^

The bundle identifier for "HDA Hardware Config Resource" is wrong. You have "com.apple.driver.AppleHDA". Should be: "com.apple.driver.AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver" as that is the bundle that IOClass "AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver" lives in.

Oops. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll update that asap. Sneaky little thing slipped past me all this time. Luckily, it isn't persistent across any of my backup files.

Guys I have two questions:

1. My sound works, but only in front-left, the front-right is low volume and very treble... I not install the voodooHDA, last time I try I just got kernel panic or something like after reboot, but I need to install voodoohda? (In linux Ubuntu I use HDA JACK RESTAK to select pins and make the sound very good like we can see in here: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/17sov5/howto_beats_audio_hp_laptop_speakers_on/ );

2. My HP show that Im using a MacBook Pro (13inch) I need to make some change to SMBIOS (or something like that) to change and make something work... or get something better? Where I can find a good explanation?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have working audio in macosx Sierra? I have everything else working except Audio. Under Audio, I do have the inputs listed but no Outputs are showing. I know usually that can mean either a Clover patch is needed or the AppleHDA76e0.kext needs patching for 10.12, but my patch_hda.sl is not working to patch it. Any suggestions? Great work @Rehabman on your continued work

Does anyone have working audio in macosx Sierra? I have everything else working except Audio. Under Audio, I do have the inputs listed but no Outputs are showing. I know usually that can mean either a Clover patch is needed or the AppleHDA76e0.kext needs patching for 10.12, but my patch_hda.sl is not working to patch it. Any suggestions? Great work @Rehabman on your continued work

Extra patch required in 10.12 (due to new range comparison): 3d8a19d411->3d00000000

• Like 1

Extra patch required in 10.12 (due to new range comparison): 3d8a19d411->3d00000000

Thanks that worked! I know it's pre-release but after taking a longer look, I do notice that the laptop function keys are not working to adjust brightness/volume. Will a change need to be made to SSDT-hack?

Thanks that worked! I know it's pre-release but after taking a longer look, I do notice that the laptop function keys are not working to adjust brightness/volume. Will a change need to be made to SSDT-hack?

Something has changed in the input system. It breaks other software too (Karabiner), so maybe it will be fixed, or we'll see how an official developer (such as the developer of Karabiner) works around it.

• Like 1

Something has changed in the input system. It breaks other software too (Karabiner), so maybe it will be fixed, or we'll see how an official developer (such as the developer of Karabiner) works around it.

Thanks will wait to see. For a beta I found it to be pretty smooth and good UI responsiveness.

• 1 month later...

Since I have been using Mac OSX Sierra, I also noticed that if I launch Safari and browse within a few minutes, the whole OS crashes. No kernel panic is displayed and no I/O activity is shown and the time completely stops. Can anyone confirm this as not sure if it's because of video on the screen which may be caused by the FakePCI_Intel kexts or something else? I am using the latest kexts from Rehabman's Github which had no issues on El Capitan and also have the proper SSDT applied from the instructions on Github. I know Mac OSX Sierra is in GM but this is one thing that didn't even happen on El Capitan in it's early beta's.

I wanted to post this as I looked and couldn't find any info on this site or anywhere else about this.

Edit: It seems to happen especially with certain video websites. One website always has commercials and Mac will completely freeze before it brings up the commercials for a video. I checked on a browser that works and it looks like the commercials use Flash and when the regular video plays it's HTML5. On Safari, I did download the latest flash and not sure if Safari has a place to adjust HTML5 settings. Wanted to provide this detail in case it's all websites that use both formats.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I have tried OSX 10.12 for awhile and have prepared the following package of kexts, the config.plist and the SSDT I use currently which is working so far so good. I want to thank everyone for helping me so I am just giving back to support. The package has been tested on Envy j-000 so any other model will have to use Rehabman's guide to install per their machine. 

FYI the function keys are working per the Karabiner Elements tool, but you just need to press the function keys you want not hit fn + f. Also make sure you have your own serialnumber or generate one from Clover Configurator for the SMBIOS section of config.plist before you use it.

ENVY_10.12_100116.zip

• Like 4

Once again, thank you for your continued support packages and for all of the hard work that goes into creating and testing them, Andrw! I would like to request permission to add it to the first post to keep everything as neat and organized as possible.

Once again, thank you for your continued support packages and for all of the hard work that goes into creating and testing them, Andrw! I would like to request permission to add it to the first post to keep everything as neat and organized as possible.

Of course you can, glad you enjoy it! I want to thank you for creating this thread to help all of us in getting great support for this model.

Of course you can, glad you enjoy it! I want to thank you for creating this thread to help all of us in getting great support for this model.

Glad to hear it! I'll update the first post as soon as possible. First post updated! Regrettably, I am unable to test your files but I trust them to be in good working order based on previous experiences with your other work. I appreciate the kind words but I don't see myself as deserving of any further acknowledgement regarding this thread. The way I see it, it stopped being mine awhile ago. I do very little to contribute to it these days. All of the appreciation and praise should go where it deserves to go, to RehabMan, yourself and the other active members who continue to invest in so much time and hard work into getting everything working after every major release. Keep up the great work and thanks again! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I was just researching my Safari freezes from certain video websites and came across this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/314544-safari-hangs-computer-on-some-videos/page-2

There is a link in the link to a russian website which mentions PAVP as a possible cause for the freeze and the issue with iTunes videos not playing because of HDCP. I do have great news in that the patch in the link fixes the freeze and now iTunes works for protected files! There is one side effect, when you go to sleep, once you play videos, your apps will start to not respond and you will have to eventually reboot your computer. 

@Rehabman with this new information, could there be something in your FakePCI that can do the following Clover patch but not have the side effect when you go to sleep.

Edit: After downloading my past purchase from iTunes, it will not play complaining about display not being HDCP, but at least the Mac doesn't completely freeze so this patch might be useful for something if we can get sleep mode to work with it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I have tried OSX 10.12 for awhile and have prepared the following package of kexts, the config.plist and the SSDT I use currently which is working so far so good. I want to thank everyone for helping me so I am just giving back to support. The package has been tested on Envy j-000 so any other model will have to use Rehabman's guide to install per their machine. 

FYI the function keys are working per the Karabiner Elements tool, but you just need to press the function keys you want not hit fn + f. Also make sure you have your own serialnumber or generate one from Clover Configurator for the SMBIOS section of config.plist before you use it.

Thanks Andrw0380 for the files! If anyone is using this config on Sierra 10.12.1 with BCM94352, you may need to apply the additional kext patches listed here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/316060-pre-release-macos-sierra-10121/?p=2281834.

With Sierra 10.12.1 and above, you don't need Karabiner-Elements and I get better keyboard functionality without it.  (I particularly need to use the zoom feature -- Ctrl+Trackpad up which doesn't work with Karabiner-Elements.). Also, the function keys work based on your BIOS settings as to whether they work with our without the Fn key.  However, the brightness up and down keys don't work right using the patch RehabMan made for the HP Envy.  He has told people that they should map F14/F15 for their brightness keys.  I made the code for the HP Envy to have working brightness up and down keys (F2/F3).  It's not in the form of a patch, just copy and paste it into your DSDT at _SB/PCI0/LPCB/H_EC/_Q13 and overwrite the code there that came from RehabMan's patch.

Method (_Q13, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (HKNO, Local0)
                        If (LEqual (Local0, 0x07))
                        {
                            Notify (PS2K, 0x0365)
                        }

If (LEqual (Local0, 0x08))
                        {
                            Notify (PS2K, 0x0366)
                        }
                    }
  • Like 1

How's it going guys? Before anything, let me just say that I've done everything I could to get my HP Envy 15 j011dx to fully work but I've been stuck for over a year now. I've made a lot of progress. I've managed to install El Capitan on it but my only problems are with sound, screen brightness and battery management to work. If anyone are willing to help me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Specs: HP Envy 15 j011dx

750gb HDD, Intel Core i5 3230m ivyBridge cpu.

With Sierra 10.12.1 and above, you don't need Karabiner-Elements and I get better keyboard functionality without it.  (I particularly need to use the zoom feature -- Ctrl+Trackpad up which doesn't work with Karabiner-Elements.). Also, the function keys work based on your BIOS settings as to whether they work with our without the Fn key.  However, the brightness up and down keys don't work right using the patch RehabMan made for the HP Envy.  He has told people that they should map F14/F15 for their brightness keys.  I made the code for the HP Envy to have working brightness up and down keys (F2/F3).  It's not in the form of a patch, just copy and paste it into your DSDT at _SB/PCI0/LPCB/H_EC/_Q13 and overwrite the code there that came from RehabMan's patch.

Method (_Q13, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Store (HKNO, Local0)
                        If (LEqual (Local0, 0x07))
                        {
                            Notify (PS2K, 0x0365)
                        }

If (LEqual (Local0, 0x08))
                        {
                            Notify (PS2K, 0x0366)
                        }
                    }

Thanks I tried that and it does fix my brightness keys without using Karabiner-Elements. Just so you know, right before the line: "Store (HKNO, Local0)", you will need this line "External(\HKNO, FieldUnitObj)" otherwise MaciASL will complain that the object doesn't exist. 

Thanks Andrw0380 for the files! If anyone is using this config on Sierra 10.12.1 with BCM94352, you may need to apply the additional kext patches listed here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/316060-pre-release-macos-sierra-10121/?p=2281834.

On 10.12.1, if you use the new Rehabman's FakePCI, you don't need those other patches. As I am using the current patches before with the new FakePCI and WiFi is working great!

• Like 2

Thanks I tried that and it does fix my brightness keys without using Karabiner-Elements. Just so you know, right before the line: "Store (HKNO, Local0)", you will need this line "External(\HKNO, FieldUnitObj)" otherwise MaciASL will complain that the object doesn't exist. 

My DSDT already had HKNO listed as an object near the beginning.  I guess if you don't have it already like I did, you can/should add it.  Glad you have it working.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know I updated the .kexts in my package that was posted on the first page by the OP. It should work on 10.12.1 and the 10.12.2 betas. Because of the latest posts before this one, I was able to attach the updated SSDT-hack used to fix Brightness Up and Down, the latest FakePCI to fix WiFi and also attach the latest VoodooPS2Controller.kext that I was able to find and build. This should allow you not to have to use the modded El Capitan Trackpad to be able to change the options, fixes the cap locks light problem and also no Karabiner-Elements is necessary from my tests.

Be aware, the VoodooPS2 file was built from another port of the VoodooPS2 repository so no official support will be provided and if any issues, refer back to the official documentation by Rehabman. I want to thank everyone who made it possible as I couldn't have done it without the amazing people here.

ENVY_10.12.1_120116.zip

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I wanted to provide you with something that I just discovered. For the past couple months, I have been using eqMac on 10.12 and noticed that the headphone switching and popping issue wasn't present when the eqMac equalizer was enabled. Lately I have been searching to see if I can find any details to get our AppleHDA working the same way but discovered the new AppleALC by vit9696 and decided to give it a try. While audio doesn't work natively using his kext, I discovered something that might help with the headphone switched issue and the pop that you hear when playing media. In his kext for our codec he had the following 7 patches 

<dict>
			<key>Count</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>QcYGAEmLvCQ=</data>
			<key>MaxKernel</key>
			<integer>13</integer>
			<key>MinKernel</key>
			<integer>13</integer>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>AppleHDA</string>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>QcYGAUmLvCQ=</data>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Count</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>QcYGAEiLu2g=</data>
			<key>MinKernel</key>
			<integer>14</integer>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>QcYGAUiLu2g=</data>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Count</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>QcaGQwEAAAA=</data>
			<key>MinKernel</key>
			<integer>13</integer>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>QcaGQwEAAAE=</data>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Count</key>
			<integer>2</integer>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>ixnUEQ==</data>
			<key>MinKernel</key>
			<integer>13</integer>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>4HYdEQ==</data>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Count</key>
			<integer>2</integer>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>hBnUEQ==</data>
			<key>MinKernel</key>
			<integer>13</integer>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>AAAAAA==</data>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Count</key>
			<integer>2</integer>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>gxnUEQ==</data>
			<key>MinKernel</key>
			<integer>15</integer>
			<key>MaxKernel</key>
			<integer>15</integer>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>AAAAAA==</data>
		</dict>
		<dict>
			<key>Count</key>
			<integer>2</integer>
			<key>Find</key>
			<data>ihnUEQ==</data>
			<key>MinKernel</key>
			<integer>16</integer>
			<key>Name</key>
			<key>Replace</key>
			<data>AAAAAA==</data>
		</dict>

Only the following three when applied in Clover is needed to enable audio using our injector kext

<dict>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>QcaGQwEAAAA=</data>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<integer>13</integer>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>com.apple.driver.AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>QcaGQwEAAAE=</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>2</integer>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>ixnUEQ==</data>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<integer>13</integer>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>4HYdEQ==</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>2</integer>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>ihnUEQ==</data>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<integer>16</integer>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>AAAAAA==</data>
			</dict>

The first patch out of the three is a new patch that wasn't added to any of our Clover patches. When I added that patch to Clover, I found headphone switching to work properly and no popping sound when starting playback or after a few seconds of playing media. I wonder if this patch keeps AppleHDA from going to sleep as it keeps the codec engaged which allows the switching to work like it should. The one downside I noticed is if you have your internal speakers set and go to sleep, when resuming if you plug in your headphones with mic, no audio will play through your headphones. One thing which might help is, after resuming from sleep, if I only plug in my Apple EarPods a little, sound does play through the headphones and System Preferences shows that the Internal Mic is working with the headphones not the headphones/Line In device like it should. I wonder if the Mic from the EarPods is somehow interfering with the sound to go through the Headphone part of the EarPods.

Hope this new info helps at all in maybe finding a way to improve AppleHDA support.

• Like 2

Just to say Thank you, to  gygabyte666, Andrw0380, Rehabman and the others helpers that made this possible. My 'HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC (ENERGY STAR)', works fine with the last files on Sierra 10.12.2. Thank you again.

• 1 month later...