HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

Because the ACPI patches required are minimal, desktops are pretty easy. If you want examples, look at my DH67xx and BRIX projects.

Thanks for the info! I expected as much and having those to use as a base will surely help to figure things out a bit. Most everything should be a breeze although, my concerns were for my GFX since it always gave me grief when I needed to test Yosemite+ since it always changed the ports my display used so I would temporarily lose my display until my dsdt was edited & recompiled to fix it. My hope is once it is done, your hotpatch method might actually fix that old issue.

On a side note, do you know of a working touchscreen driver that I could use with the new ENVY? Your repo didn't include one.

Is your audio popping the same as on IDT, where once you play any sound on your computer you get a small squeak sound and after the few seconds of playing that sound it makes the same sound? I've noticed that for a long while when using AppleHDA.kext and it makes me think it is related to HP laptops as that sound seems to be that our laptops sound is not staying fully initialized. Compare with Windows and you can hear that same sound (at least with IDT) when Windows is booting and it doesn't reappear. All this is testing with Apple EarPods.

I don't believe it is the same sound. It's not a squeak at all, it's just a loud pop and only does it once at the start of a volume change or when a sound initiates. The remaining sounds, if any all sound as they should. I don't even recall my old 17t ever having this problem in the past. If it ever did, it was short-lived since I remember doing the initial HDA build myself since no one else came forward with one for me to test with first. While it might be that sound is not being initialized as you say, I honestly don't know what is causing it yet. I've come across a few different HDA builds and have been slowly testing them all by mixing & matching resources between them to see if they solve the problem. Oh and for the record, I have only tested this with the internal speakers. I have done very little testing with the headphone jack. It may not even persist if headphones are being used but I will report back later when I find out. This issue does not seem to happen under Windows either. It's quite the mystery.

On a side note, do you know of a working touchscreen driver that I could use with the new ENVY? Your repo didn't include one.

If your touchscreen is connected via USB, it will work single touch...

It is possible the person who provided the original 'Q' USB information didn't have a touch screen, so the port it is on may be disabled by SSDT-HACK. Boot with -uia_ignore_rmcf and see if it works. Then you can let me know which port it is on (or provide ioreg).

If your touchscreen is connected via USB, it will work single touch...

It is possible the person who provided the original 'Q' USB information didn't have a touch screen, so the port it is on may be disabled by SSDT-HACK. Boot with -uia_ignore_rmcf and see if it works. Then you can let me know which port it is on (or provide ioreg).

No dice. While booted using the suggested command I dumped a copy of my ioreg for examination. On another note, I was planning to update via your repo but I am getting multiple errors when trying to compile the SSDT-HACK.aml using the make command. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I'd also like to know if it's possible to regenerate the SSDT-HACK without having to revert to using clean ACPI tables (no dsdt/ssdts on boot). I can get it to boot without using the working SSDT-HACK that I currently have but it's a chore and I'd rather avoid it if possible. Thanks!

Envy15-q667nr_notouchscreen.ioreg.zip

If anyone with sound problems using AppleHDA wants to try using VoodooHDA, let me know.  I started using VoodooHDA because I have the Beats audio system with 6 speakers (2 front, 2 top and 2 subwoofers).  Using VoodooHDA, I get all 6 speakers working.  I've been interested in testing it out on newer models of the HP Envy but gygabyte666 isn't interested in trying it out and I need someone to give me their audio dump using VoodooHDA's GetDump.  Just let me know if you're interested.

gygabyte666 isn't interested in trying it out

This isn't entirely factual. I simply don't have the free time and time is needed in order to properly test things such as this. Just wanted to clear that up. I'd like to wish you good luck with your research, even if I cannot do much to assist you at the moment. :)

• Like 1

If anyone with sound problems using AppleHDA wants to try using VoodooHDA, let me know.  I started using VoodooHDA because I have the Beats audio system with 6 speakers (2 front, 2 top and 2 subwoofers).  Using VoodooHDA, I get all 6 speakers working.  I've been interested in testing it out on newer models of the HP Envy but gygabyte666 isn't interested in trying it out and I need someone to give me their audio dump using VoodooHDA's GetDump.  Just let me know if you're interested.

I'am interested. What I should do ?

No dice. While booted using the suggested command I dumped a copy of my ioreg for examination.

USBInjectAll applies only to 10.11. The ioreg shows ML. No support in ML for the touchscreen.

On another note, I was planning to update via your repo but I am getting multiple errors when trying to compile the SSDT-HACK.aml using the make command. Any thoughts on how to fix this? I'd also like to know if it's possible to regenerate the SSDT-HACK without having to revert to using clean ACPI tables (no dsdt/ssdts on boot). I can get it to boot without using the working SSDT-HACK that I currently have but it's a chore and I'd rather avoid it if possible. Thanks!

Must use current tools. Tools are downloaded and installed with ./download.sh and ./install_downloads.sh.

USBInjectAll applies only to 10.11. The ioreg shows ML. No support in ML for the touchscreen.

Ah, didn't realize I was supposed to use USBInjectAll, I thought it was part of the SSDT-HACK. Correction, I am running Mavericks not ML; Not that it matters since i'm sure that isn't supported either. Oh well, thanks for the info.

Must use current tools. Tools are downloaded and installed with ./download.sh and ./install_downloads.sh.

I am using the current tools and it continues to fail...

I am using the current tools and it continues to fail...

Unlikely.

Post version of iasl:

iasl -v
The current version at bitbucket shows:

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL+ Optimizing Compiler version 20160313-64(RM)
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2016 Intel Corporation

Correction, I am running Mavericks not ML...

OK... I must have read the kernel version# wrong...

No touchscreen support in Mavericks either. It appeared in Yosemite.

I'am interested. What I should do ?

Download the voodoohda files from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/files/

You need to be sure to download getdump.  This will open your Terminal and put in all of your audio info.  Save it to a txt file and post it here.  I will try to determine what/where your audio devices are and will inject them into the Voodoohda.kext/info.plist.  I will then post the kext here (or you can make a new thread if you want to keep this one uncluttered with side-issues) and will work with you to see if we can get all of your audio devices working.  You will also need applehdadisabler.kext or will have to delete your applehda.kext.  Assuming you use Clover (I hope you do), you can put the modified Voodoohda.kext and the Applehdadisabler.kext in your 10.11 folder of kexts in Clover and that should get your sound working.  Beware that it may take multiple tries just to get the unmodified voodoohda.kext working on your laptop.  It doesn't work with everyone right away.  But if you want to experiment, with the upside chance of having all of your speakers working, with the ability to balance them as multiple audio devices, then give it a shot and we can have some fun playing with this.

If you start a new thread, just be sure to let me know in case I don't see it.

This isn't entirely factual. I simply don't have the free time and time is needed in order to properly test things such as this. Just wanted to clear that up. I'd like to wish you good luck with your research, even if I cannot do much to assist you at the moment. :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290687-wip-hp-envy-17t-j000-quad-haswell-1085109x1010x1011x/?p=2224011

No worries gygabyte666, I'm sure you have good reasons for your choices. I just want someone willing to work with me to get the Beats Audio on HP Envy laptops working on more than just my model.  Your thread attracts owners of more recent versions of the HP Envy so I posted it here.

Download the voodoohda files from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/files/

You need to be sure to download getdump.  This will open your Terminal and put in all of your audio info.  Save it to a txt file and post it here.  I will try to determine what/where your audio devices are and will inject them into the Voodoohda.kext/info.plist.  I will then post the kext here (or you can make a new thread if you want to keep this one uncluttered with side-issues) and will work with you to see if we can get all of your audio devices working.  You will also need applehdadisabler.kext or will have to delete your applehda.kext.  Assuming you use Clover (I hope you do), you can put the modified Voodoohda.kext and the Applehdadisabler.kext in your 10.11 folder of kexts in Clover and that should get your sound working.  Beware that it may take multiple tries just to get the unmodified voodoohda.kext working on your laptop.  It doesn't work with everyone right away.  But if you want to experiment, with the upside chance of having all of your speakers working, with the ability to balance them as multiple audio devices, then give it a shot and we can have some fun playing with this.

If you start a new thread, just be sure to let me know in case I don't see it.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290687-wip-hp-envy-17t-j000-quad-haswell-1085109x1010x1011x/?p=2224011

No worries gygabyte666, I'm sure you have good reasons for your choices. I just want someone willing to work with me to get the Beats Audio on HP Envy laptops working on more than just my model.  Your thread attracts owners of more recent versions of the HP Envy so I posted it here.

I attached my get dump awhile ago when you first asked. Here it is: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290687-wip-hp-envy-17t-j000-quad-haswell-1085109x1010x1011x/?p=2175685. This is for 111d (Vendor) 76e0 (Device) ids. VoodooHDA used "0x80868C20" as the IOPCI inject as VoodooHDA caused Kernel Panic with default values (because of HDMI)

I attached my get dump awhile ago when you first asked. Here it is: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290687-wip-hp-envy-17t-j000-quad-haswell-1085109x1010x1011x/?p=2175685. This is for 111d (Vendor) 76e0 (Device) ids. VoodooHDA used "0x80868C20" as the IOPCI inject as VoodooHDA caused Kernel Panic with default values (because of HDMI)

Thanks.  Sorry I missed it.  This is a crowded thread so it's easy to miss things.

Your analog speaker has the NID 13 and the Config 0x92170110.  You have 3 devices after that simply called "Other."  Two of those devices are most likely your other speakers.  Now, you will have to play with this a bit, but I would try using NID 14 and Config 0x92180160, and NID 16 and Config 0x92180150.  The code you need to add to your info.plist looks like this:

<key>NodesToPatch</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Codec</key>
					<integer>0</integer>
					<key>Config</key>
					<string>0x92180160</string>
					<key>Node</key>
					<integer>14</integer>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Codec</key>
					<integer>0</integer>
					<key>Config</key>
					<string>0x92180150</string>
					<key>Node</key>
					<integer>16</integer>
				</dict>
			</array>

If you need help patching your info.plist, let me know.

Now, there is one more thing you need to do.  Assuming these work for you, you will need to create a multi-output device using Audio Midi Setup.  Let me know if you need help with that.  Lastly, if you want to have a volume control in your menu bar that lets you control the volume of your multiple audio devices, you need to use PTHVolume.  It's a free app that works as a prefpane.  Let me know how it goes.

EDIT: Since I first posted this a few minutes ago, I se that I had the wrong Config in the code above.  I have changed it so it should be right now.

Hey mnfesq, I didn't know if you saw my post but I finally did get the getdump file. The one thing with using the VoodooHDA kext is that HDMI audio doesn't work. When I try to add the HDMI codec in the VoodooHDA kext, it causes a kernel panic. Is there a way to patch the nodes with AppleHDA to make it more streamlined. I know if we can somehow use VoodooHDA files but patch it to work with AppleHDA since the main downfall for AppleHDA is the headphone switch (which doesn't happen using VoodooHDA) and we would get 4 speakers too. Thanks again.

Boy, I really feel badly that I missed your posts.  I, too, have problems with HDMI audio.  I don't use HDMI for my laptop so I have never had the incentive to try to fix it on my laptop.  However, I use the same kext on my Zotac ID83, which runs as a Mac Mini.  On that one, I have the video connected via HDMI cable but the audio via an analog cable.  I am going to try to get HDMI audio working on that machine using the VoodooHDA kext, if possible.  I will post about my experiences doing that.

In my GetDump output, the speakers show up like this in the original:

nid 13 0x92170110 as  1 seq  0 Speaker       Fixed Analog  Front   Internal Unknown misc 0 NoPresenceDetect
 nid 14 0x40f000f0 as 15 seq  0 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
 nid 15 0x40f000f0 as 15 seq  0 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
 nid 16 0x40f000f0 as 15 seq  0 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0

And patched, they look like this:

VHDevice NID=13 Config=92170110 (pin: Speaker () Cap=00010050 Ctrl=00000040 -- Conns: 0=19 1=20 2=28
VHDevice NID=14 Config=92180160 (pin: Speaker () Cap=00010034 Ctrl=00000000 -- Conns: 0=19 1=20 2=28
VHDevice NID=15 Config=40f000f0 (pin: Other (No) Cap=00010034 Ctrl=00000000 -- Conns: 0=19 1=20 2=28
VHDevice NID=16 Config=92180150 (pin: Speaker () Cap=00000010 Ctrl=00000000 -- Conns: 0=26
  • Like 1

Thanks.  Sorry I missed it.  This is a crowded thread so it's easy to miss things.

Your analog speaker has the NID 13 and the Config 0x92170110.  You have 3 devices after that simply called "Other."  Two of those devices are most likely your other speakers.  Now, you will have to play with this a bit, but I would try using NID 14 and Config 0x92180160, and NID 16 and Config 0x92180150.  The code you need to add to your info.plist looks like this:

<key>NodesToPatch</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Codec</key>
					<integer>0</integer>
					<key>Config</key>
					<string>0x92180160</string>
					<key>Node</key>
					<integer>14</integer>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Codec</key>
					<integer>0</integer>
					<key>Config</key>
					<string>0x92180150</string>
					<key>Node</key>
					<integer>16</integer>
				</dict>
			</array>

If you need help patching your info.plist, let me know.

Now, there is one more thing you need to do.  Assuming these work for you, you will need to create a multi-output device using Audio Midi Setup.  Let me know if you need help with that.  Lastly, if you want to have a volume control in your menu bar that lets you control the volume of your multiple audio devices, you need to use PTHVolume.  It's a free app that works as a prefpane.  Let me know how it goes.

EDIT: Since I first posted this a few minutes ago, I se that I had the wrong Config in the code above.  I have changed it so it should be right now.

Boy, I really feel badly that I missed your posts.  I, too, have problems with HDMI audio.  I don't use HDMI for my laptop so I have never had the incentive to try to fix it on my laptop.  However, I use the same kext on my Zotac ID83, which runs as a Mac Mini.  On that one, I have the video connected via HDMI cable but the audio via an analog cable.  I am going to try to get HDMI audio working on that machine using the VoodooHDA kext, if possible.  I will post about my experiences doing that.

In my GetDump output, the speakers show up like this in the original:

nid 13 0x92170110 as  1 seq  0 Speaker       Fixed Analog  Front   Internal Unknown misc 0 NoPresenceDetect
 nid 14 0x40f000f0 as 15 seq  0 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
 nid 15 0x40f000f0 as 15 seq  0 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0
 nid 16 0x40f000f0 as 15 seq  0 Other         None  Unknown N/A     External Unknown misc 0

And patched, they look like this:

VHDevice NID=13 Config=92170110 (pin: Speaker () Cap=00010050 Ctrl=00000040 -- Conns: 0=19 1=20 2=28
VHDevice NID=14 Config=92180160 (pin: Speaker () Cap=00010034 Ctrl=00000000 -- Conns: 0=19 1=20 2=28
VHDevice NID=15 Config=40f000f0 (pin: Other (No) Cap=00010034 Ctrl=00000000 -- Conns: 0=19 1=20 2=28
VHDevice NID=16 Config=92180150 (pin: Speaker () Cap=00000010 Ctrl=00000000 -- Conns: 0=26

I am patching it now. I know on Linux NID 13 would be one speaker, NID 15 would be another and NID 16 would be my subwoofer. Any other changes needed or can I just change NID 14 to NID 15 from your post?

I am patching it now. I know on Linux NID 13 would be one speaker, NID 15 would be another and NID 16 would be my subwoofer. Any other changes needed or can I just change NID 14 to NID 15 from your post?

Try using the Configs from my post for each of the respective NIDs and see if the devices are recognized after you reboot.  Report your results. The devices that end in f0 will not work with OS X.  I remember learning that from somewhere here.  There is a big and very well-written post about audio configs for VoodooHDA here.  Probably this one:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267905-voodoohda-common-problems/

Unlikely.

The current version at bitbucket shows:

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL+ Optimizing Compiler version 20160313-64(RM)
Copyright (c) 2000 - 2016 Intel Corporation

Same version as what iasl -v outputs for me. Compiling still fails. It's so weird...

OK... I must have read the kernel version# wrong...

No touchscreen support in Mavericks either. It appeared in Yosemite.

No worries, Guess I have to try to track down a suitable replacement driver instead. One must exist somewhere.

Understandable. As mentioned before, I just wanted to clear the air. Last thing I want is the thread looking like we aren't all trying our hardest to make as many things as possible work for our machines, even if we're not always working on the same things.

• Like 1

Same version as what iasl -v outputs for me. Compiling still fails. It's so weird...

Post output of 'make'. Also, post output of 'git diff'.

No worries, Guess I have to try to track down a suitable replacement driver instead. One must exist somewhere.

There is one for $$$. I forget who makes it.

Is anyone else having a delay between the login screen appearing and being able to move the mouse?

If I use the config.plist directly from the latest 10.11 Envy files, the problem doesn't occur. However, when I change things in the SMBIOS section of the config.plist, the problem reappears. There's severe mouse lag and then a few seconds later everything is smooth again. 

Sorry if I sound picky, but at this stage I really want to perfect my install. Thanks.

Is anyone else having a delay between the login screen appearing and being able to move the mouse?

If I use the config.plist directly from the latest 10.11 Envy files, the problem doesn't occur. However, when I change things in the SMBIOS section of the config.plist, the problem reappears. There's severe mouse lag and then a few seconds later everything is smooth again. 

Sorry if I sound picky, but at this stage I really want to perfect my install. Thanks.

You will probably have to provide more details on what you mean by 'latest 10.11 Envy files' and by 'change things'.

Try using the Configs from my post for each of the respective NIDs and see if the devices are recognized after you reboot.  Report your results. The devices that end in f0 will not work with OS X.  I remember learning that from somewhere here.  There is a big and very well-written post about audio configs for VoodooHDA here.  Probably this one:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/267905-voodoohda-common-problems/

Ok I tried it and success have all full speakers at once with multi-output. I had to change it to NID 15 from NID 14 as only half my speakers would work. I am going to test the free app to see the volume issue.

Edit: Yep I am able to adjust the volume. One thing which I believe you mentioned before. 2 of my speakers always stay on even when headphones are plugged in. VoodooHDA detects the headphones are plugged in and mutes the other two speakers on Speaker (Analog). I wish there was a way we can combine this knowledge into AppleHDA to make that work with all speakers and that would keep HDMI working. Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Ok I tried it and success have all full speakers at once with multi-output. I had to change it to NID 15 from NID 14 as only half my speakers would work. I am going to test the free app to see the volume issue.

So NID 16 was your subwoofer and NID 15 was your top speakers?

Also, I found that, if my front speakers are set at 100% volume, the subwoofers/top speakers should be set at about 67%.

Edit: Yep I am able to adjust the volume. One thing which I believe you mentioned before. 2 of my speakers always stay on even when headphones are plugged in. VoodooHDA detects the headphones are plugged in and mutes the other two speakers on Speaker (Analog). I wish there was a way we can combine this knowledge into AppleHDA to make that work with all speakers and that would keep HDMI working. Thanks for sharing!

For headphones, I just select that as my audio device in PTHVolume and that will silence the speakers while listening to headphones. The switch for headphones appears to apply only to the front speakers device and not to the others.

So NID 16 was your subwoofer and NID 15 was your top speakers?

Also, I found that, if my front speakers are set at 100% volume, the subwoofers/top speakers should be set at about 67%.

For headphones, I just select that as my audio device in PTHVolume and that will silence the speakers while listening to headphones. The switch for headphones appears to apply only to the front speakers device and not to the others.

Yes nid 15 was top speakers and nid 16 is subwoofer. I notice the subwoofer was kind of combined with the top speakers as turning the top speakers up would cause a more bass sound so having it at 67% was the best as you mentioned.

@nrjmadan previously had AppleHDA use the nid as a way to get just the top speakers working. Is it possible to use the nid and info from getdump to apply to AppleHDA at least to fix some bugs like headphone switching and the sqweak between sounds?

In all VoodooHDA is best for headphone switching, getting all speakers to work, and no squeak between sounds while AppleHDA is better for more streamline updates and HDMI works so its a cross roads

Post output of 'make'. Also, post output of 'git diff'.

I don't know what happened but I finally got it to compile properly & without error. I rebooted, tried it again and it just worked. I can't explain why it worked this time but failed every other time since I literally changed nothing. Just to be safe after the compile worked I decided something might be wrong with iasl so I removed the current installed version & reinstalled a fresh copy to be on the safe side for the future. Another problem solved though I suppose. Thanks for the help Rehab! :)

There is one for $$$. I forget who makes it.

Oh gawd, are you referring to that company that is trying to charge almost $200 for a single device license for their trial driver? If so, then yeah i'm good on all that. I'll stick with the free one that I found instead. It seems to work reasonably well for the moment, given it only supports single touch but I don't think that i'll be able to ask for much more under OS X. If you or anyone else ever needs it for your repo just let me know. Hopefully, at some point maybe someone will be kind enough to point me to a better, more updated one.

I've only experienced this once and I know exactly why it happened since I was relying on ACPI tables from another machine to get a different machine to boot. Conflicts between tables are what I believe the cause to be from. I suppose it could be related to an unsupported USB driver too such as GenericXHCI since I believe that doesn't properly work under El Capitan. It could also just be a natural delay from before your mouse driver initializes too.

I don't use El Capitan so this is all educated guesses and based on what I have read from other users. My own experiments were conducted under Mavericks.

You will probably have to provide more details on what you mean by 'latest 10.11 Envy files' and by 'change things'.

I used the 10.11 envy files in the OP (which link here) and there was no issue. Then, after replacing the whole of SMBIOS in the config.plist with a new serial, SmUUID, board serial number etc. so I could get iMessage to work, that delay reappeared. I'm not sure how changing trivial things such as the serial number could cause this issue - I didn't touch anything in the ACPI section like  gygabyte666 suggested either.

I used the 10.11 envy files in the OP (which link here) and there was no issue. Then, after replacing the whole of SMBIOS in the config.plist with a new serial, SmUUID, board serial number etc. so I could get iMessage to work, that delay reappeared. I'm not sure how changing trivial things such as the serial number could cause this issue - I didn't touch anything in the ACPI section like  gygabyte666 suggested either.

You misunderstood what I wrote. I was suggesting that you should replace the acpi tables if you're model is different from the one intended for Andrw0380's files. Different models have different hardware and in turn have different tables to accommodate for that. Bottom line is if you're not using the exact model the tables were dumped from, you need to make your own based from your own dumps.