HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

It looks quite normal, except:

- USB WiFi not recommended

- I don't use LittleSnitch (I tend not to install system level software like that...)

- Clover/kexts is not setup to boot the installer or recovery partition (no kexts)

Yep that's until I receive in a few days the card you recommended (already got some KPs due to that.

Never found a Little snitch alternative to stop or block domains.

Sorry but I did not get your 3rd point about Clover.

But thanks, I guess there isn't anything to do, if everything looks fine.

I have J014SR (BIOS F.66) .

What BIOS version you have?

RehabMan, how about my report. it's possible to improve something ? 

Otechman, can you download and check if this app is works or not, please ?  Intel Power Gadget

It's small app without kexts. If this app is work and other apps will works too.

I can't check the bios version now but I tested the app and it crashes

Sorry but I did not get your 3rd point about Clover.

You need essential kexts to boot the installer or recovery partition (FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller, networking kexts if you want to use the network, etc).

But thanks, I guess there isn't anything to do, if everything looks fine.

You didn't mention a problem.

--

here is my files of problem reporting

You did not provide all files requested in "Problem Reporting".

The ioreg shows power management is not implemented.

--

As far as DVD Player, I'm going to look into it a bit on my Lenovo u430. I suppose it is graphics related, and may just be an incompatibility (Macs do not have HD4400/HD4600).

You need essential kexts to boot the installer or recovery partition (FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller, networking kexts if you want to use the network, etc).

You didn't mention a problem.

I thought I did in an earlier post, the thing is I work with after effects and when I installed it on OS X it crashes upon launch with a message related to GPU. so I was wondering if you had any similar experience (the problem is mentioned in an earlier post)

And btw I just received the combo card, amazing, works ootb, except for handoff that doesn't work and pairing that doesn't last more than 2s

I thought I did in an earlier post,

A precise description of the problem must appear with the "Problem Reporting" files.

the thing is I work with after effects and when I installed it on OS X it crashes upon launch with a message related to GPU. so I was wondering if you had any similar experience (the problem is mentioned in an earlier post)

And btw I just received the combo card, amazing, works ootb, except for handoff that doesn't work and pairing that doesn't last more than 2s

I don't have "After Effects" (that's an Adobe thing, right?), therefore no experience with it.

I suspect there are some incompatibilities considering real Macs don't have the same GPU present in our laptops.

Handoff requires:

- the patch to IOBluetoothFamily (it is in my config.plist)

- appropriate 5ghz patch for your region (US FCC is in my config.plist... problems with AirDrop have been reported when you use a patch mismatched for your region).

- and all devices must be logged into the same iCloud account (you may have to log out of all, log back in).

The iPhone is not intended to be paired (it also pairs and disconnects from my real Apple MacBookAir6,2).

Some news on the "DVD Player" issue...

On my Lenovo u430, I went back to a non-hotpatch setup. DVD Player runs fine in that scenario.

In order to discover the problem, I will need to convert each static patch to hotpatch, one at a time, each time testing DVD Player in order to understand which hotpatch fix is not complete. It will take a while.

I may have (finally) found a fix for my audio "popping" issues with my ALC290. I've been (slowly) experimenting to try to pinpoint the problem but I still need to do a bit more testing before I can be sure. Once I know if I have it licked so will the thread, then you can use those results to update your repo Rehab. Worst case, I will probably have to remake the entire HDA myself to be sure everything is the way it should be for my machine but that really is overkill and I would prefer to avoid it for obvious reasons. Anyway, point is when I know it's fixed everyone else will too.

On an unrelated note, I wanted to ask for your guidance again Rehab. I haven't looked into it much yet but I am planning to try to attempt to hotpatch my desktop machine myself. Could I trouble you for a bit of advice when it comes to making a SSDT-HACK for a desktop? I can figure out the rest on my own as it seems relatively simple enough but I haven't quite narrowed down your reasoning behind what you add to the SSDT-HACK vs. what you leave out of it. Although I still have next to zero interest in updating anytime soon, it'd be nice if I could get my issues with Yosemite/El Capitan fixed for my desktop asap and I believe based on the way it works, your hotpatch method could do just that. :)

A precise description of the problem must appear with the "Problem Reporting" files.

I don't have "After Effects" (that's an Adobe thing, right?), therefore no experience with it.

I suspect there are some incompatibilities considering real Macs don't have the same GPU present in our laptops.

Handoff requires:

- the patch to IOBluetoothFamily (it is in my config.plist)

- appropriate 5ghz patch for your region (US FCC is in my config.plist... problems with AirDrop have been reported when you use a patch mismatched for your region).

- and all devices must be logged into the same iCloud account (you may have to log out of all, log back in).

The iPhone is not intended to be paired (it also pairs and disconnects from my real Apple MacBookAir6,2).

So first off, I got my continuity features to work thanks to your 3rd suggestion, went and logged out of my iCloud account, i also disabled and enabled the feature so now it works great. I have now 2 things that have risen.

1/ I tried changing the country code with a Plist Editor to mine (Morocco - MA) with the hex counterpart, as I understood from another thread about this. But I still get TX in the system report. And it seems that the country code MA is present in the Brcm code. it's working now and showing.

2/ When I restart my computer, it gets stuck at the shutdown phase and I have to manually reboot it, but I'll try doing that again and again since it seems kinda random to see if there is any pattern. seems like reseting network settings but deleting some files mentioned in that thread and rebooting, did it

On another note, is it possible to spoof the graphic card for a known one? as in maybe editing the part where the software goes looking for that info?

Thanks bunches, loving my comp more each day

I wanted to ask you a question since you all got ENVYs with the discrete graphic card disabled. Does anyone work with After Effects? is it functioning?

I have After Effects from CS5.5 installed. I will check it a bit later to see if it's working and I will let you know. :)

On another note, is it possible to spoof the graphic card for a known one? as in maybe editing the part where the software goes looking for that info?

You should be more specific here. Are you asking if you can simply label your card as another? If so, then yes you can. It's quite easy to do and can be done using a dsdt/ssdt edit. I can't speak for AMD/ATI cards as I don't use them myself but for Intel/Nvidia it is quite simple to do. I don't have access to it right now but if desired I can post the code snippets you'd need to do so a bit later on.

On the other hand, if you were asking if you could fake a device from one to another, the answer for that is a bit more complex. I am not the most experienced or knowledgeable on this subject so I could be wrong but from what i've gathered over my time working with such ideas, I would have to say as long as the hardware is architecturally similar faking should be possible, otherwise I don't believe it would stand much of a chance to work. Device faking is a tricky business since while you might be able to get the support you're looking to get, you could also be introducing issues into your install that wouldn't be there otherwise if faking never took place.  After all, there isn't much sense in faking a device if you're only going to be able to get about the same level of support for the one being faked as the one you already have. Most of the time, faking is only done to gain support for a device where you would otherwise have none to begin with. If it already working the way it is, I wouldn't bother since there is generally very little to gain from it. Something to keep in mind. Hope it helps.

I have After Effects from CS5.5 installed. I will check it a bit later to see if it's working and I will let you know. :)

You should be more specific here. Are you asking if you can simply label your card as another? If so, then yes you can. It's quite easy to do and can be done using a dsdt/ssdt edit. I can't speak for AMD/ATI cards as I don't use them myself but for Intel/Nvidia it is quite simple to do. I don't have access to it right now but if desired I can post the code snippets you'd need to do so a bit later on.

On the other hand, if you were asking if you could fake a device from one to another, the answer for that is a bit more complex. I am not the most experienced or knowledgeable on this subject so I could be wrong but from what i've gathered over my time working with such ideas, I would have to say as long as the hardware is architecturally similar faking should be possible, otherwise I don't believe it would stand much of a chance to work. Device faking is a tricky business since while you might be able to get the support you're looking to get, you could also be introducing issues into your install that wouldn't be there otherwise if faking never took place.  After all, there isn't much sense in faking a device if you're only going to be able to get about the same level of support for the one being faked as the one you already have. Most of the time, faking is only done to gain support for a device where you would otherwise have none to begin with. If it already working the way it is, I wouldn't bother since there is generally very little to gain from it. Something to keep in mind. Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot for all the info, I will be eagerly awaiting your input about After Effects. I know I shouldn't rely on this for my work, but honestly I feel more productive on OS X.

When I was referring to faking a device, I was speaking about it in the sam "After Effects" context, if what RehabMan said is true and the software is looking for a compatible card, then I would love to know where he goes looking for the info and if it is possible to change it IF as you said, it is not a danger to the system's stability.

Some news on the "DVD Player" issue...

On my Lenovo u430, I went back to a non-hotpatch setup. DVD Player runs fine in that scenario.

In order to discover the problem, I will need to convert each static patch to hotpatch, one at a time, each time testing DVD Player in order to understand which hotpatch fix is not complete. It will take a while.

This is now fixed... change made to all Envy repos (diffs are all the same).

As this thread is for J-series: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch/commit/d543338f82e2bcf9bc380d0d55b76f0f2585e1b5

• Like 1

As this thread is for J-series: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch/commit/d543338f82e2bcf9bc380d0d55b76f0f2585e1b5

Amazing, how can I go about updating the SSDT-Hack or go ahead and update all the files you updated recently? should I follow the update part guide?

Nevermind,  downloaded all the files again from the github repo and installed them then initiated the make command for the SSDT-HACK compilation.

DVD Player as well as those Intel Power Gadgets are working. Installing After Effects to check again.

Really good day

Pardon the ignorance but what was the issue? If the machine has no optical drive, is it worth updating? Thanks for the info.

Amazing, how can I go about updating the SSDT-Hack or go ahead and update all the files you updated recently? should I follow the update part guide?

Updates to the repo are clearly covered in the guide.

Pardon the ignorance but what was the issue? If the machine has no optical drive, is it worth updating? Thanks for the info.

It is explained quite clearly in the commit comment/diffs.

DVD Player does not require an optical drive.

The same problem may be affecting the other apps... (we'll see as people test).

Updates to the repo are clearly covered in the guide.

It is explained quite clearly in the commit comment/diffs.

DVD Player does not require an optical drive.

The same problem may be affecting the other apps... (we'll see as people test).

I tried just now all the apps that were reported not working in this thread and they all work now. AfterEffects, Intel Power gadgets, DVD Player. this fixes it all

• Like 1

I tried just now all the apps that were reported not working in this thread and they all work now. AfterEffects, Intel Power gadgets, DVD Player. this fixes it all

Super... thanks for confirming the fix!

I may have (finally) found a fix for my audio "popping" issues with my ALC290. I've been (slowly) experimenting to try to pinpoint the problem but I still need to do a bit more testing before I can be sure. Once I know if I have it licked so will the thread, then you can use those results to update your repo Rehab. Worst case, I will probably have to remake the entire HDA myself to be sure everything is the way it should be for my machine but that really is overkill and I would prefer to avoid it for obvious reasons. Anyway, point is when I know it's fixed everyone else will too.

I'll keep an eye out here...

On an unrelated note, I wanted to ask for your guidance again Rehab. I haven't looked into it much yet but I am planning to try to attempt to hotpatch my desktop machine myself. Could I trouble you for a bit of advice when it comes to making a SSDT-HACK for a desktop? I can figure out the rest on my own as it seems relatively simple enough but I haven't quite narrowed down your reasoning behind what you add to the SSDT-HACK vs. what you leave out of it. Although I still have next to zero interest in updating anytime soon, it'd be nice if I could get my issues with Yosemite/El Capitan fixed for my desktop asap and I believe based on the way it works, your hotpatch method could do just that. :)

Because the ACPI patches required are minimal, desktops are pretty easy. If you want examples, look at my DH67xx and BRIX projects.

Super... thanks for confirming the fix!

I'll keep an eye out here...

Because the ACPI patches required are minimal, desktops are pretty easy. If you want examples, look at my DH67xx and BRIX projects.

Thanks Rehabman I can also confirm the DVD Player issue is now fixed! 

@gygabyte666 Is your audio popping the same as on IDT, where once you play any sound on your computer you get a small squeak sound and after the few seconds of playing that sound it makes the same sound? I've noticed that for a long while when using AppleHDA.kext and it makes me think it is related to HP laptops as that sound seems to be that our laptops sound is not staying fully initialized. Compare with Windows and you can hear that same sound (at least with IDT) when Windows is booting and it doesn't reappear. All this is testing with Apple EarPods.