HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

Sorry for taking long to respond. I ran your script but it comes up an error " Creating AppleHDA injector for 76e0...cp: invalid option -- 'X'" [/size]afterwards most of the output is "No such file or directory". Is there a specific codec I put after ./patch_hda.sh as mine is 111d(vendor IDT) 76e0 (device id) and no matter which combination I put in comes up the same cp error.  

As I mentioned before I am on 10.11.4 beta with the j070ca series laptop and the latest beta still doesn't fix Audio. My config.plist hasn't changed for AppleHDA patches that worked in previous El Capitan and AppleHDA is present in /System/Library/Extensions with the "AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext" that was in the Envy folder before in /Library/Extensions per your ./install_downloads.sh script.

BTW the audio popping happens on the IDT 76e0 also when I had audio previously. For my experiment with VoodooHDA, the popping never happened.

Correct way to regen the AppleHDA injector:

rm -rf AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext
make AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext
Or (if you read the makefile and see what it does):

./patch_hda.sh IDT76e0_Envy

Correct way to regen the AppleHDA injector:

rm -rf AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext
make AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext
Or (if you read the makefile and see what it does):

Ok I ran the commands and I even started a fresh directory and followed your Envy instructions and get the following errors:

Andrews-PC:envy.git andrew$ rm -rf AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/
Andrews-PC:envy.git andrew$ make AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext
Creating AppleHDA injector for IDT76e0_Envy...cp: invalid option -- 'X'
Try 'cp --help' for more information.
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Resources/*': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/PlugIns': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/version.plist': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Resources/layout12.xml': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml': No such file or directory
./patch_hda.sh: line 34: AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Resources/*.xml.zlib: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Resources/*.xml': No such file or directory
Print: Entry, ":NSHumanReadableCopyright", Does Not Exist
Parse Error: Unclosed Quotes
Value Required for Set Command
Print: Entry, ":CFBundleGetInfoString", Does Not Exist
Print: Entry, ":CFBundleVersion", Does Not Exist
Print: Entry, ":CFBundleShortVersionString", Does Not Exist
File Doesn't Exist, Will Create: AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Merge: ":HardwareConfigDriver_Temp" Entry Does Not Exist
Copy: Entry, ":HardwareConfigDriver_Temp:IOKitPersonalities:HDA Hardware Config Resource", Does Not Exist
Delete: Entry, ":HardwareConfigDriver_Temp", Does Not Exist
Delete: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:HDA Hardware Config Resource:HDAConfigDefault", Does Not Exist
Set: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:HDA Hardware Config Resource:IOProbeScore", Does Not Exist
Merge: ":IOKitPersonalities:HDA Hardware Config Resource" Entry Does Not Exist
 Done.
touch AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext
Andrews-PC:envy.git andrew$ ./patch_hda.sh IDT76e0_Envy
Try 'cp --help' for more information.
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Resources/*': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/PlugIns': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/version.plist': No such file or directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Resources/layout12.xml': No such file or directory
cp: cannot create regular file 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Resources/Platforms.xml': No such file or directory
./patch_hda.sh: line 34: AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Resources/*.xml.zlib: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove 'AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/Contents/Resources/*.xml': No such file or directory
Print: Entry, ":NSHumanReadableCopyright", Does Not Exist
Print: Entry, ":CFBundleGetInfoString", Does Not Exist
Print: Entry, ":CFBundleVersion", Does Not Exist
Print: Entry, ":CFBundleShortVersionString", Does Not Exist
Merge: ":HardwareConfigDriver_Temp" Entry Does Not Exist
Copy: Entry, ":HardwareConfigDriver_Temp:IOKitPersonalities:HDA Hardware Config Resource", Does Not Exist
Delete: Entry, ":HardwareConfigDriver_Temp", Does Not Exist
Delete: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:HDA Hardware Config Resource:HDAConfigDefault", Does Not Exist
Set: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:HDA Hardware Config Resource:IOProbeScore", Does Not Exist
Merge: ":IOKitPersonalities:HDA Hardware Config Resource" Entry Does Not Exist
 Done.

I wonder if the new AppleHDA.kext in the newest beta has some changes causing the script to error because the made .kext has zero bytes. I do have the following directory that was already created in your Github called 'Resources_IDT76e0_Envy' which has the defined ahhcd.plist, layout12.plist and Platforms.plist so the files are there in the same order, just wander why the script errors out.

On what hardware? In what conditions?

I noticed it has been doing it on the new ENVY since I got audio working with it using your injector. Just in case you forgot it is using the ALC290. The popping occurs when performing file operations while the audio is muted whenever an audiable sound would normally be produced within the OS. Examples could be drag and drop, emptying trash, etc. I've noticed it occuring during every drag/drop operation and on installer complete tasks. It could happen when audio isn't muted too but I haven't noticed it yet.

EDIT: It seems to happen randomly and it doesn't matter if the audio is muted or not. It takes the place of a normal OS X sound and seems like it the system doesn't know what volume the audio is set at so it overrides it and makes one loud, distorted popping sound in it's place when a sound is activated. Basically, sometimes I hear a normal sound, like tossing something in the trash and the next time I could hear the same sound if i'm lucky or it could be replaced by the distorted, amplified pop sound instead. Like I said, it's random when it occurs, unless the audio is muted in which case then the popping sound happens everytime an OS sound occurs. Hopefully, that makes sense

It will also do it randomly when adjusting system volume.

I noticed it has been doing it on the new ENVY since I got audio working with it using your injector. Just in case you forgot it is using the ALC290. The popping occurs when performing file operations while the audio is muted whenever an audiable sound would normally be produced within the OS. Examples could be drag and drop, emptying trash, etc. I've noticed it occuring during every drag/drop operation and on installer complete tasks. It could happen when audio isn't muted too but I haven't noticed it yet.

EDIT: It seems to happen randomly and it doesn't matter if the audio is muted or not. It takes the place of a normal OS X sound and seems like it the system doesn't know what volume the audio is set at so it overrides it and makes one loud, distorted popping sound in it's place when a sound is activated. Basically, sometimes I hear a normal sound, like tossing something in the trash and the next time I could hear the same sound if i'm lucky or it could be replaced by the distorted, amplified pop sound instead. Like I said, it's random when it occurs, unless the audio is muted in which case then the popping sound happens everytime an OS sound occurs. Hopefully, that makes sense

Any chance you can run GetDump for the VoodooHDA kext?  I still think I can get all of your speakers to work using VoodooHDA, something which the AppleHDA.kext will never allow.

Ok I ran the commands and I even started a fresh directory and followed your Envy instructions and get the following errors:

Andrews-PC:envy.git andrew$ rm -rf AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext/

Andrews-PC:envy.git andrew$ make AppleHDA_IDT76e0_Envy.kext

Something is wrong with your install -- it seems your copy of 'cp' is damaged. Do a fresh install of OS X.

Does it only happen after a wake/sleep cycle or is a problem on fresh boot?

You might check if Mirone has updated files for ALC290 (compare with those in Resources_ALC290).

Any chance you can run GetDump for the VoodooHDA kext?  I still think I can get all of your speakers to work using VoodooHDA, something which the AppleHDA.kext will never allow.

Not sure if you're aware, but this is for a different machine than the one the thread is about. Either way, I appreicate the offer but I would still prefer to use AppleHDA over Voodoo for multiple reasons. Thanks again though. :)

Does it only happen after a wake/sleep cycle or is a problem on fresh boot?

You might check if Mirone has updated files for ALC290 (compare with those in Resources_ALC290).

It occurs on fresh boots. Haven't checked it after a wake/sleep cycle yet. I'll check that a bit later and report the result if I don't get it fixed before then. Haven't been able to check Mirone's version yet either. I'll do that aswell and see if it helps. Thanks for the info! :D

Haven't been able to check Mirone's version yet either. I'll do that aswell and see if it helps. Thanks for the info! :D

The files in the Envy-K repo are from Mirone. But that was a few months ago... he may have updated them since...

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask you a question since you all got ENVYs with the discrete graphic card disabled. Does anyone work with After Effects? is it functioning?

Because I just installed it and it crashes at Launch with this message <GPUManager> <2> Sniffer Result Code: 7.

Looked pretty much everywhere, nothing.

I'm sure it would have worked under windows but don't want to use that option unless I have to.

Thanks in advance

Ok I reinstalled Mac OSX fresh and got audio back. I am sticking with 10.11.3 right now. One thing I've noticed is DVD Player no longer works. It just crashes when you launch it. I know it worked with the FakePCI on Yosemite but this is the first time I am running it on El Capitan. Did Apple change it so it no longer runs on our hardware like iTunes? I followed directions exactly. Is it working for anyone else?

PS Do you think enabling ig-platform to my config.plist would help even though SSDT-HACK already takes of that?

Ok I reinstalled Mac OSX fresh and got audio back. I am sticking with 10.11.3 right now. One thing I've noticed is DVD Player no longer works. It just crashes when you launch it. I know it worked with the FakePCI on Yosemite but this is the first time I am running it on El Capitan. Did Apple change it so it no longer runs on our hardware like iTunes? I followed directions exactly. Is it working for anyone else?

PS Do you think enabling ig-platform to my config.plist would help even though SSDT-HACK already takes of that?

If you're talking about DVD player, I just tried opening it and it crashes just like you said. I'm on 10.11.3 also.

If you're talking about DVD player, I just tried opening it and it crashes just like you said. I'm on 10.11.3 also.

I have no optical drive in my Lenovo u430, but DVD Player.app crashes on launch as well. OTOH, I have no use for DVD Player.app.

Hello everyone, and thanks for instructions here.

I have HP Envy 17-J014SR laptop with F.66 BIOS. At this moment I have OS X El Capitan 10.11.33 almost works... except battery status, backlight by Fn keys and maybe something else.

First of all i try to patch my system by RehabMan's repo (instructions from Guide HP Envy Haswell. after patching i have in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched/ 2 files: ssdt.aml and ssdt-hack.aml

No DSDT. with this patches works sound, intel hd4600 and some apps are not works (such as ableton live and few apps too). Trying to patch my DSDT is not possible (too many errors...about 200 and can't compile).

I take files from Andrw0380 from 904 post (DSDT, SSDT's) and with this files applications is works, intel hd4600 works....but no battery status, no backlight by Fn keys :))))  How I can patch (correctly) my DSDT for works more things on the laptop ? Somebody can help me ? 

First of all i try to patch my system by RehabMan's repo (instructions from Guide HP Envy Haswell. after patching i have in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched/ 2 files: ssdt.aml and ssdt-hack.aml

No DSDT. with this patches works sound, intel hd4600 and some apps are not works (such as ableton live and few apps too).

You will need to be more specific about the problems you have.

Hi, RehabMan.

My problem is patch my DSDT. I load my DSDT (saved by clover, F4) into MacIASL, try to apply pathes and can't save my patched DSDT - 189 errors there. (without patches i can't save dsdt too. 169 errors).

Maybe i do something wrong ? 

Hello everyone, and thanks for instructions here.

I have HP Envy 17-J014SR laptop with F.66 BIOS. At this moment I have OS X El Capitan 10.11.33 almost works... except battery status, backlight by Fn keys and maybe something else.

No DSDT. with this patches works sound, intel hd4600 and some apps are not works (such as ableton live and few apps too). Trying to patch my DSDT is not possible (too many errors...about 200 and can't compile).

I take files from Andrw0380 from 904 post (DSDT, SSDT's) and with this files applications is works, intel hd4600 works....but no battery status, no backlight by Fn keys :))))  How I can patch (correctly) my DSDT for works more things on the laptop ? Somebody can help me ? 

With the new way to patch DSDT and SSDT from Rehabman, you don't need my DSDT, SSDT or to even patch your own DSDT as that will conflict with the two files you have. The .kext files also have been updated so when you run ./download.sh and ./install_downloads.sh, it should install the updated kexts files.

I am attaching my config.plist that I use as everything works here and it is slightly different than Rehabman's. Just make sure under SMBIOS to add a serial number which you can obtain from Clover Configuration

@Rehabman I notice in your config.plist that under "DisableDrivers" you have VBoxHfs. I could never get Mac to boot if I disable it and I find adding "OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi" to drivers64UEFI allow you to not have to disable hibernate mode. If you could look at my config.plist as everything works and just want to make sure our config.plist is as optimized as it should be.

config.plist.zip

@Rehabman I notice in your config.plist that under "DisableDrivers" you have VBoxHfs. I could never get Mac to boot if I disable it and I find adding "OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi" to drivers64UEFI allow you to not have to disable hibernate mode. If you could look at my config.plist as everything works and just want to make sure our config.plist is as optimized as it should be.

My guide uses HFSPlus.efi.

I've never been able to get hibernatemode to work on my Lenovo u430 (and I don't want my SSD being trashed repeatedly with every sleep anyway), so I use OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi. Those who want hibernation are free to experiment on their own.

I patch my system by RehabMan's guide, all files installed.

Works: internal sound, intel hd4600, backlight by Fn keys, battery status

Not works applications: DVD-Player, Ableton Live, Intel Power Gadget.... 

I don't understand what i do wrong....

I patch my system by RehabMan's guide, all files installed.

Works: internal sound, intel hd4600, backlight by Fn keys, battery status

Not works applications: DVD-Player, Ableton Live, Intel Power Gadget.... 

I don't understand what i do wrong....

DVD Player is a known problem (you can use VLC).

No experience with Ableton Live.

In my guide there is a section labeled "Problem Reporting". You should read it.

A few days i experimenting with dsdt/ssdt/kexts/config.plists and other..... no luck. Works sound - no intel hd4600, works intel hd4600 - no sound, sound and intel hd4600 + battery status and other - no works app. and all this by a circle...

Backed to my work config: sound works, intel hd4600 works, apps works. battery status not works, backlight by Fn keys not works (maybe something else don't works), bu main (for me) apps are works !

A few days i experimenting with dsdt/ssdt/kexts/config.plists and other..... no luck. Works sound - no intel hd4600, works intel hd4600 - no sound, sound and intel hd4600 + battery status and other - no works app. and all this by a circle...

Backed to my work config: sound works, intel hd4600 works, apps works. battery status not works, backlight by Fn keys not works (maybe something else don't works), bu main (for me) apps are works !

Rehabman,

Do you think there is any chance that some difference between the DSDT method and hot patching one might be the reason some apps don't work?

Say we wanted to troubleshoot this, how would I go about that?

I don't know whats wrong. But when I use ssdt-hack.aml + ssdt.aml generated by RehabMan's script + config.plist (just add a correct serial there). Nothing touched by me (dsdt fixes and other). Everything works, but no apps: Ableton Live, Intel Power Gadget, DVD player... maybe some apps don't works too.

When I use other config.plist + DSDT from Andrw0380 (904 post) and more DSDT fixes i have WORKED apps but not battery status, backlight.....

Rehabman,

Do you think there is any chance that some difference between the DSDT method and hot patching one might be the reason some apps don't work?

Say we wanted to troubleshoot this, how would I go about that?

Without files requested in "Problem Reporting" and specific details on the problem, I'm not about to make any guess.

Alright that's all I needed to hear, I attached all the needed files here.

thanks

It looks quite normal, except:

- USB WiFi not recommended

- I don't use LittleSnitch (I tend not to install system level software like that...)

- Clover/kexts is not setup to boot the installer or recovery partition (no kexts)