HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a Envy 17-j150LA with 10.10.3 (Using stuff from 10.10_ENVY_04082015 zip)
Everything works perfect except the WebCam and the Built-in LeapMotion Sensor, also, USB3.0 devices doesn't work but 2.0 devices (on 3.0 ports) works well-.
After a fresh install of OS X 10.10 without kext's and settings, the webcam and leap motion sensor works (Leap Sensor works after install the official app from the official page) but applying the zip (10.10_ENVY_04082015) stops working ...

The camera and sensor is connected via internal usb?

What i can do?

Hi, I have a Envy 17-j150LA with 10.10.3 (Using stuff from 10.10_ENVY_04082015 zip)

Everything works perfect except the WebCam and the Built-in LeapMotion Sensor, also, USB3.0 devices doesn't work but 2.0 devices (on 3.0 ports) works well-.

After a fresh install of OS X 10.10 without kext's and settings, the webcam and leap motion sensor works (Leap Sensor works after install the official app from the official page) but applying the zip (10.10_ENVY_04082015) stops working ...

The camera and sensor is connected via internal usb?

What i can do?

https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch

Have a HP Envy 17 140J with Haskell and intel video. Have working beautifully with Rehabman's Github patch. Just follow directions to the letter and everything but MMC card & some of the sensors will work perfect. 

I'm working to figure out how to work with HWsensors to get all sensors back since working since I changed over to his version of FakeSMC.

Any idea would be helpful. 

Cheers to Rehabman for the patches and all the work it took.

Have a HP Envy 17 140J with Haskell and intel video. Have working beautifully with Rehabman's Github patch. Just follow directions to the letter and everything but MMC card & some of the sensors will work perfect. 

I'm working to figure out how to work with HWsensors to get all sensors back since working since I changed over to his version of FakeSMC.

Any idea would be helpful. 

Cheers to Rehabman for the patches and all the work it took.

The scripts do not install the FakeSMC plugins by default. They are inefficient.

If you want to add them, you can install manually. See here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-FakeSMC-kozlek/

Quickly popping in to say that I updated the first post pretty extensively just now. All of the links should be working well again. I'm pretty disappointed that it took me so long to fix it.

One last thing that needs to be said before I wrap this up. Thank you all for your seemingly endless support to this thread and the people who are actively seeking assistance on it. You are all such wonderful and amazing people to give so much of your time in order to help others like you do. Is it too bold of me to think this is the single greatest thread in the entire forum? Well, even if that's not true I still believe it holds the kindest and most hard-working members in it. You guys (and girls???) are the absolute BEST!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did anyone upgrade to the latest 10.11.4 beta lose audio? I tried to reapply the injector kext and haven't changed my config.plist. Is there a new KextsToPatch for the IDT 76E0?

Edit: I think Apple might of stopped kexts from running that have the "kext signature validation error code -67030" as the kext doesn't run or display the IDT connection ports under Audio which from my testing would still show even if I was missing a Clover patch.

Hello. has anybody noticed any loss in performance with the recent updates to OS X? I just noticed this till today, even though Ive been using 10.11.3 for a while now I ran this benchmark today because i noticed quite a bit of sluggishness in one of my applications where cpu performance is upmost important.

I just wonder if it's our laptop model, my laptop only or everybody. my graphics have been acting up as well since the last update I think.
2d2d3c1d60244b7bf44f86a5850dfadf.png

Did anyone upgrade to the latest 10.11.4 beta lose audio? I tried to reapply the injector kext and haven't changed my config.plist. Is there a new KextsToPatch for the IDT 76E0?

Edit: I think Apple might of stopped kexts from running that have the "kext signature validation error code -67030" as the kext doesn't run or display the IDT connection ports under Audio which from my testing would still show even if I was missing a Clover patch.

New requirements for AppleHDA injectors (new entries in Info.plist/OSBundleLibraries). My patch_hda.sh script automatically does the right thing.

See here: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch

• Like 1

Hello, RehabMan.

I have a HP Envy 17-J014SR laptop. I have installed OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 and i have some issues:

if i do post installation with files from post #904 (Andrw0380) i have some glitches on start of os x and no sound. (i use patched ACPI, and kexts from this archive from Andrw0380)

i also use your guide to patch and there is interesting things: no glitches at start, but no sound (ssdt, sddt-hack used and config.plist. no DSDT file in acpi/patched (?))

If i use DSDT.aml and few SSDT ...ssdt1...7 from Andrw0380 and config.plist from Andrw0380... i have glitches at start and working sound :))))

Please, help me where is my mistake ? :)

Hello, RehabMan.

I have a HP Envy 17-J014SR laptop. I have installed OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 and i have some issues:

if i do post installation with files from post #904 (Andrw0380) i have some glitches on start of os x and no sound. (i use patched ACPI, and kexts from this archive from Andrw0380)

i also use your guide to patch and there is interesting things: no glitches at start, but no sound (ssdt, sddt-hack used and config.plist. no DSDT file in acpi/patched (?))

If i use DSDT.aml and few SSDT ...ssdt1...7 from Andrw0380 and config.plist from Andrw0380... i have glitches at start and working sound :))))

Please, help me where is my mistake ? :)

There is a guide linked from my github: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch

Hello RehabMan,

It has been a while I haven't used my hack, so with all the updates in OS X I decided to do everything from scratch so as to use the SSDT-HACK method, and when I was done, everything was working except the sound, so I restarted, I rebuilt the cache and nothing.

the injector is where it should be, the clover patches are present in the config.plist.
I wanted to maybe fiddle with apple-had but didn't really know if it was the right thing to do

Any suggestion?

EDIT: made apple_hda work and created an injector (just had to modify the resources folder as in the script it looks for Resources_76e0 without the word "envy" at the end). and went with the same routine, start without caches, rebuild caches, restart couple of times and still nothing. Checked clover patches, old config.plist against new, nothing

EDIT 2: tried creating a new injector through the method in (Mavericks compatibility), but still no sound

EDIT: made apple_hda work and created an injector (just had to modify the resources folder as in the script it looks for Resources_76e0 without the word "envy" at the end). and went with the same routine, start without caches, rebuild caches, restart couple of times and still nothing. Checked clover patches, old config.plist against new, nothing

There is nothing wrong with the scripts in the repo. The makefile invokes patch_hda.sh with './patch_hda.sh IDT76e0_Envy' as designed.

Post ioreg as ZIP using IORegistryExplorer v2.1.

And output from:

kextstat|grep -y acpiplat
kextstat|grep -y appleintelcpu
kextstat|grep -y applelpc
Also, post EFI/Clover folder as ZIP (press F4 at main Clover screen before collecting). Please eliminate 'themes' directory, especially if you have an overabundance of themes installed. Provide only EFI/Clover, not the entire EFI folder.

Also post output of:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /
Compress all files as ZIP. Do not use external links. Attach all files using site attachments only.

RehabMan,

You were right, it was just my mistake, the script worked as advertised.

I compiled all the info you requested and compress them into one zip file

Thanks for the swift answer

(struggled with the attachment)

Your config.plist is wrong. Looks like you edited it with Clover Configurator (which stripped Devices/Arbitrary).

The guide is very clear about Clover Configurator use (that you should not use it on your config.plist).

• Like 1

Your config.plist is wrong. Looks like you edited it with Clover Configurator (which stripped Devices/Arbitrary).

The guide is very clear about Clover Configurator use (that you should not use it on your config.plist).

I used it to edit SMBios data which if I remember, you did allow, unless I'm mistaken in which case I apologise.

I went to reread the part and it says to edit a dummy one and paste the part in the actual one.

I will do this right now then.

Sorry for bothering, i'll retry

Just to let you know that it worked, I used Plist Edit Pro, and I got my sound back.

Really don't know where I'd be without your guides and guidance

Thank you

Guess who got a second ENVY machine recently... :whistle:

It's a little different but otherwise almost hardware identical to the 17t. So, of course i've been working on installing OS X on this one too but I gotta say, it has been one hell of a headache to get this one setup the way I want. The reason for all of my misery? USB 3.0 only. Just like my 17t, this one too has USB 2.0 emulation in the BIOS for legacy OS support; unlike the 17t...it doesn't actually work.  :( 

What I believe happened is one of two things, either:

1. the fine people at HP goofed and didn't realize this bug slipped past them (or they are just lazy, which is prob more likely) or
  2. Since the chipset on this machine's board is newer it could be that Skylake had more influence on it than I realized by trying to obsolete USB 2.0 support.

Whatever the case may be, not having USB 2.0 support has made my life with this machine a disaster! Heh, It has been such a pain that I opted to use the old reliable 17t to install the OSs on the hard drive by HDD swapping, since the USB problem was preventing me from doing so otherwise.  :wallbash:

Anyway, i'm not trying to make this into a big deal or anything since it's really just a minor inconvenience for the moment and everything should be fine once I get USB 3.0 sorted out and a few other annoyances that i've come across for OS X. I just figured I would let the thread know about my new toy. YAY NEW THINGS!!!  :drool:

Oh and before anyone asks me, no I am NOT planning to install El Capitan on this or the 17t anytime in the foreseeable future. As I believe I have mentioned before, I HATE what Yosemite did to OS X and although I have tested El Capitan to see how well it works, it'll take a lot more than a few reliability improvements to make me upgrade from my lovely and almost perfect Mavericks. Honestly, the boot time alone is enough to keep me on something older. The last time I actually timed it (which was Yosemite), it was a full minute slower to boot than Mavericks and that is just pathetic. Anyways, good day everyone!  :P

• Like 1

Hey RehabMan,

Me again haha, I wanted to ask you about something. I have a Ralink wifi card that is not supported and thus I use a USB dongle for that. One thing that happens when I want to shutdown the computer or put it to sleep is that the screen gets dark as in starting the process of shutting down and then gets stuck there. Or sometimes when I leave the computer for long enough and it wants to go to sleep with the dongle plugged in, it throws me into a KP. I wanted to know if you had any insight or occurence about this happening.

Hey RehabMan,

Me again haha, I wanted to ask you about something. I have a Ralink wifi card that is not supported and thus I use a USB dongle for that. One thing that happens when I want to shutdown the computer or put it to sleep is that the screen gets dark as in starting the process of shutting down and then gets stuck there. Or sometimes when I leave the computer for long enough and it wants to go to sleep with the dongle plugged in, it throws me into a KP. I wanted to know if you had any insight or occurence about this happening.

USB WiFi is problematic. Avoid it.

Install a supported WiFi card instead, such as BCM94352HMB.

• Like 1

So, the new ENVY's dsdt is a disaster. It simply doesn't seem to extract well. I have included the dsdt for examination in the hopes of finding some help with it. It's a broken mess.

I managed to mostly clean up the required ssdts already (i hope) but without a functional dsdt, I can't really accurately test them and this dsdt has so many problems that I just don't know what else to do to try to fix it anymore. Unlike the 17t this one even references TONS of data from the other ssdts, which to me makes absolutely no sense and kind of defeats the point of having separated tables.

I'm hoping someone else had/has a machine like this one that they managed to get sorted out. I already attempted fixing it for days using my old 17t dsdt as a reference but this thing is just so busted it didn't seem to matter much.

Any help I can get on this from other, more experienced members would be GREATLY appreciated! I am currently using a modified dsdt from the 17t to even get this thing booting and functioning semi-reasonably. Thanks everyone. :D

USB WiFi is problematic. Avoid it.

Install a supported WiFi card instead, such as BCM94352HMB.

I looked up the card online, does it come as a replacement for the WIFI one already present?

And while we're in the upgrading process, can I also exchange the HDD with an SDD? It's an Envy j-101sf

I looked up the card online, does it come as a replacement for the WIFI one already present?

And while we're in the upgrading process, can I also exchange the HDD with an SDD? It's an Envy j-101sf

In terms of a replacement card, what you are looking for is the Azurewave AW-CE123H, which is an AC/BT combo card. It is confirmed working in HP Envy models and isn't blacklisted.

For your second question, I don't personally own one nor have I used one with OS X but I wouldn't see why not. Apple uses and supports SSDs but they only support "authentic" Apple-approved ones afaik. All that means is that you'll have to add a couple patches into Clover to get it working with the OS properly. Not really a big deal.

In terms of a replacement card, what you are looking for is the Azurewave AW-CE123H, which is an AC/BT combo card. It is confirmed working in HP Envy models and isn't blacklisted.

For your second question, I don't personally own one nor have I used one with OS X but I wouldn't see why not. Apple uses and supports SSDs but they only support "authentic" Apple-approved ones afaik. All that means is that you'll have to add a couple patches into Clover to get it working with the OS properly. Not really a big deal.

Hey thanks gygabite666, I am looking into this right now. Good luck with your rig, I like it