HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

As of right now I only have my S5, and my USB 3.0 My Passport drive as the only USB 3.0 devices to plug in at once. My previous IOReg had my flash drive and a PS4 controller connected via USB 2.0 also.

As mentioned before, I did plug in just my USB 3.0 device and tried all ports with copying a file to see the speed, then tried a USB 2.0 device for the same test and both devices were recognized in all ports and copied the file in USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 speeds respectively. Now that you mentioned it, it probably is just one USB 3.0 hub for all those ports which is why everything is still working with only the one SSP1.

Plug into each port individually. Post ioreg for each.

It is easy to see in ioreg whether it is a hub with all 4 USB3 ports, or individual ports (without hub).

Plug into each port individually. Post ioreg for each.

It is easy to see in ioreg whether it is a hub with all 4 USB3 ports, or individual ports (without hub).

Ok here it is, I named the files accordingly to which location the USB 3.0 device was plugged in on the computer.

Edit: It looks like if you open up my files in IORegistryExplorer and select IOUSB in the top-left of the screen, it shows each time which port all of the devices it connects to. I even searched the port location and it looks like SSP1 is only used when I connected my USB 3.0 external drive to the upper-left port on my computer. The rest were HS ports

Archive.zip

Ok here it is, I named the files accordingly to which location the USB 3.0 device was plugged in on the computer.

Edit: It looks like if you open up my files in IORegistryExplorer and select IOUSB in the top-left of the screen, it shows each time which port all of the devices it connects to. I even searched the port location and it looks like SSP1 is only used when I connected my USB 3.0 external drive to the upper-left port on my computer. The rest were HS ports

Only "upper left" shows it plugged into a USB3 port (SSP1). It is not on a hub, but directly connected to the port.

The other files show it connected to USB2 (HSxx).

You have only SSP1 enabled. Perhaps if you enable the other SSPx ports via an unedited port injector.

Only "upper left" shows it plugged into a USB3 port (SSP1). It is not on a hub, but directly connected to the port.

The other files show it connected to USB2 (HSxx).

You have only SSP1 enabled. Perhaps if you enable the other SSPx ports via an unedited port injector.

Ok I have done more testing with the original port injector you posted and SSP1-4 are used but 5-6 are not when I plugged my USB 3.0 into the ports. I was wondering, if I didn't see a performance hit, what does the SSP ports do that the HS don't? Does this mean the EH02 entry can still be removed?

Attached is the one document but you can see the port layout as I unplugged my USB 3.0 device. The SSP4 port is the one located on the bottom-right of the laptop which was the the last port I had my external drive plugged into.

USB 3.0 all ports tested.zip

Ok I have done more testing with the original port injector you posted and SSP1-4 are used but 5-6 are not when I plugged my USB 3.0 into the ports.

Attached is the one document but you can see the port layout as I unplugged my USB 3.0 device. The SSP4 port is the one located on the bottom-right of the laptop which was the the last port I had my external drive plugged into.

Conclusion from ioreg:

- The 4 USB3 ports are SSP1-4.

- SSP5-6 are not used.

- There is no internal USB3 hub.

I was wondering, if I didn't see a performance hit, what does the SSP ports do that the HS don't?

HSxx ports are USB2. SSPx ports are USB3. USB3 ports are faster than USB2.

Since no performance hit, the device you're testing with does not have speeds that exceed USB2 bandwidth limits.

Does this mean the EH02 entry can still be removed?

For your computer, the EH02 entry does nothing as the second EHCI controller is not active. I'll probably leave it in there just in case other machines do use it. It doesn't hurt to leave it in.

The EH01 entries would be used in the case FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext were used. But I bet, just like my u430, that you'll need a hub injector. Because I'm almost certain forwarding the USB2 ports on XHC, they'll be relocated to a hub at the first port on EH01 (just like my u430).

Let me know if you want to test that...

Conclusion from ioreg:

- The 4 USB3 ports are SSP1-4.

- SSP5-6 are not used.

- There is no internal USB3 hub.

HSxx ports are USB2. SSPx ports are USB3. USB3 ports are faster than USB2.

Since no performance hit, the device you're testing with does not have speeds that exceed USB2 bandwidth limits.

For your computer, the EH02 entry does nothing as the second EHCI controller is not active. I'll probably leave it in there just in case other machines do use it. It doesn't hurt to leave it in.

The EH01 entries would be used in the case FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext were used. But I bet, just like my u430, that you'll need a hub injector. Because I'm almost certain forwarding the USB2 ports on XHC, they'll be relocated to a hub at the first port on EH01 (just like my u430).

Let me know if you want to test that...

I can test the hub injector. To partially answer your answer, it does look like our EH01 USB 2.0 hub is also on the first port (1d100000) from looking on IORegistry so hopefully that helps with testing as well.

I can test the hub injector. To partially answer your answer, it does look like our EH01 USB 2.0 hub is also on the first port (1d100000) from looking on IORegistry so hopefully that helps with testing as well.

First see whether it is necessary.  I see all 8 ports showing at the EH01.PRT1 hub, so it may not be needed.

Install FakePCIID_XHCIMux and see what happens.  Reply with ioreg.

I am curious, do you have any examples of injecting the ports of an internal USB 3 hub?

No example, as I haven't run into a USB3 internal hub.  But the injector would be similar to the hub port injector I did for the u430 on EH01 (the locationID would be different, of course).

First see whether it is necessary.  I see all 8 ports showing at the EH01.PRT1 hub, so it may not be needed.

Install FakePCIID_XHCIMux and see what happens.  Reply with ioreg.

No example, as I haven't run into a USB3 internal hub.  But the injector would be similar to the hub port injector I did for the u430 on EH01 (the locationID would be different, of course).

Here is the IOReg with your port injector and mux kext applied. Only the fingerprint reader are not being recognized from the internal devices. so no Bluetooth or camera. While this IOReg doesn't show it, the external USB ports though are being mapped to the USB 2.0 hub as my Logitech USB doggle is detected when I tried it afterwards. 

The port locations for when plugging in an external USB 2.0 device is 1d110000, 1d120000, 1d130000 and 1d140000. Plugging in my USB 3.0 drive are: 14900000, 14a00000, 14b00000 and lastly 14c00000. The good thing is using the Mux kext is my USB 3.0 device now correctly says the speed of my USB 3.0 drive is Up to 5Gbps which before still showed 480Mbps. For some reason the rest of the internal devices are not detected. I wonder if by switching it to the USB 2.0 hub, if it ran out of ports to map?

USB with Mux.zip

Here is the IOReg with your port injector and mux kext applied. Only the fingerprint reader are not being recognized from the internal devices. so no Bluetooth or camera. While this IOReg doesn't show it, the external USB ports though are being mapped to the USB 2.0 hub as my Logitech USB doggle is detected when I tried it afterwards. 

The port locations for when plugging in an external USB 2.0 device is 1d110000, 1d120000, 1d130000 and 1d140000. Plugging in my USB 3.0 drive are: 14900000, 14a00000, 14b00000 and lastly 14c00000. The good thing is using the Mux kext is my USB 3.0 device now correctly says the speed of my USB 3.0 drive is Up to 5Gbps which before still showed 480Mbps. For some reason the rest of the internal devices are not detected. I wonder if by switching it to the USB 2.0 hub, if it ran out of ports to map?

I wonder if the other set of HSxx ports need to be enabled in the mux scenario. Perhaps the internal devices go to HS08,09,10,11 instead of HS04,05,06,07.

Try changing the port injector to inject the HS08/09/10/11.

I wonder if the other set of HSxx ports need to be enabled in the mux scenario. Perhaps the internal devices go to HS08,09,10,11 instead of HS04,05,06,07.

Try changing the port injector to inject the HS08/09/10/11.

I was wondering was looking at the port injector and some entries like HS01-04 says "UsbConnector=3" but HS05-07 says the value=0. Do I need to worry about that value when adding the HS08-11?

Edit: I found your previous commit when you removed the ports and added them back and just removed HS12-13, but still not mapping. I even tried different mapping groups (ex removing HS04-HS07 while keeping HS08-13) but still not working for the other internal ports.

I was wondering was looking at the port injector and some entries like HS01-04 says "UsbConnector=3" but HS05-07 says the value=0. Do I need to worry about that value when adding the HS08-11?

The value comes from DSDT _UPC. It indicates the type of USB port (0 is USB2, 3 is USB3). You can read about it in the ACPI spec.

Edit: I found your previous commit when you removed the ports and added them back and just removed HS12-13, but still not mapping. I even tried different mapping groups (ex removing HS04-HS07 while keeping HS08-13) but still not working for the other internal ports.

It is probably something DSDT is doing. Further debugging (with ACPIDebug) would be required...

Given that everything works on XHC, it may not be worth it unless you have the skills and are curious.

Note that there are mechanisms provided by FakePCIID_XHCIMux where only a subset of ports can be routed to EHCI. So you could route your external ports USB2 to EHCI, but leave the internal devices routed to XHCI.

How to defined a new SerialNumber?

Use Clover Configurator as there is a preloaded Serial Number which you can generate from the SMBIOS section. I forget the site but the serial number you generate with Clover Configurator you can check with Apple and if an error comes up that says serial number doesn't exist is what you want.

I have full audio working on my laptop using VoodooHDA with some node patches.  Apparently, mine does not work with this model of HP Envy.  If someone who has this model wants to send me their GetDump.txt, which can be obtained using the GetDump script that comes with the VoodooHDA.kext (not the installer version), I would be glad to search for the correct codes to make node patches that work on this model.  

BTW, my front speakers are on one node and my top speakers and subwoofer are on another.  I combine them all using a multi-output device created with Audio Midi Setup and control the volumes and mix with PTHVolume.  When I plug in my headphones, the front speakers switch to headphones and I have to select headphones in PHTVolume on the menu bar so that no sound comes out of the speakers when using headphones.  It's pretty simple even if I made it sound complicated here.

I have full audio working on my laptop using VoodooHDA with some node patches.  Apparently, mine does not work with this model of HP Envy.  If someone who has this model wants to send me their GetDump.txt, which can be obtained using the GetDump script that comes with the VoodooHDA.kext (not the installer version), I would be glad to search for the correct codes to make node patches that work on this model.  

BTW, my front speakers are on one node and my top speakers and subwoofer are on another.  I combine them all using a multi-output device created with Audio Midi Setup and control the volumes and mix with PTHVolume.  When I plug in my headphones, the front speakers switch to headphones and I have to select headphones in PHTVolume on the menu bar so that no sound comes out of the speakers when using headphones.  It's pretty simple even if I made it sound complicated here.

I was searching for and every thread says go to official thread on how to use get dump. Can you provide me the link and steps to create the get dump.txt file? Thanks

Edit: I did get VoodooHDA running on my system which fixes the headphone switch and the brief audio disturbance caused from not playing media for a few seconds. If you look at this link. It describes which nodes our top speakers are on which I believe is node 15 or 0x0f.  For the subwoofer it is located on 0x10. Can you since I can't find the proper get dump file or the command to run to give you the files, can you provide your node patches that are in your VoodooHDA.plist? Thanks

Edit2: Sorry about the edits, don't like to double post. I got it, found the latest file on the source forge website. Attached is my get dump.txt. Let me know what we can do next

getdump.txt.zip

Hey guys,

I've got an HP ENVY 17 and I successfully installed OS X El Capitan on it but there's a problem with the graphics. QE/CI is not working as only detects 7MB VRAM. I was searching for a solution when I saw that my graphics are Intel HD4600 Desktop GT2 (8086:0412) and the ones patched by Andrw0380 #904 are the Mobile GT2 (8086:0416).

So when I realised about that, I removed FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext and I installed AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext & AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext cause I saw on a topic that those were my kexts. But after restarting the system and changing some Clover boot arguments nothing has changed, everything looks equal.

I don't know exactly what I have to do, because I'm a newbie here and I installed OS X thanks to Andrw0380 files. Maybe I need to patch my DSDT or something like that but I don't have any idea.

Thank you very much.

Hey guys,

I've got an HP ENVY 17 and I successfully installed OS X El Capitan on it but there's a problem with the graphics. QE/CI is not working as only detects 7MB VRAM. I was searching for a solution when I saw that my graphics are Intel HD4600 Desktop GT2 (8086:0412) and the ones patched by Andrw0380 #904 are the Mobile GT2 (8086:0416).

So when I realised about that, I removed FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext and I installed AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext & AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext cause I saw on a topic that those were my kexts. But after restarting the system and changing some Clove er boot arguments nothing has changed, everything looks equal.

I don't know exactly what I have to do, because I'm a newbie here and I installed OS X thanks to Andrw0380 files. Maybe I need to patch my DSDT or something like that but I don't have any idea.

Thank you very much.

Try going to this page and follow the instructions set by Rehabman as you can get you own DSDT files. It's strange that if you have the Envy 17 that your graphics are the desktop version. What happens is our mobile 0416 is incompatible with Yosemite and El Capitan so we use that FakePCI and the patched DSDT to fake it as the desktop version. I would suggest checking in Windows just to make sure what your Device ID is since you tried to remove the FakePCI kext and that didn't solve it as well. Just to make sure, when you said you installed AppleIntelHD5000Graphics and the Azul.kext, did you just mean the ones already included or did you get the files elsewhere? I am asking as if you do have the Desktop 0412 Device ID, just removing the FakePCI should fix it.

Hey mnfesq, I didn't know if you saw my post but I finally did get the getdump file. The one thing with using the VoodooHDA kext is that HDMI audio doesn't work. When I try to add the HDMI codec in the VoodooHDA kext, it causes a kernel panic. Is there a way to patch the nodes with AppleHDA to make it more streamlined. I know if we can somehow use VoodooHDA files but patch it to work with AppleHDA since the main downfall for AppleHDA is the headphone switch (which doesn't happen using VoodooHDA) and we would get 4 speakers too. Thanks again.

getdump.txt.zip

Try going to this page and follow the instructions set by Rehabman as you can get you own DSDT files. It's strange that if you have the Envy 17 that your graphics are the desktop version. What happens is our mobile 0416 is incompatible with Yosemite and El Capitan so we use that FakePCI and the patched DSDT to fake it as the desktop version. I would suggest checking in Windows just to make sure what your Device ID is since you tried to remove the FakePCI kext and that didn't solve it as well. Just to make sure, when you said you installed AppleIntelHD5000Graphics and the Azul.kext, did you just mean the ones already included or did you get the files elsewhere? I am asking as if you do have the Desktop 0412 Device ID, just removing the FakePCI should fix it.

Ok, as I saw it in Windows I'm using the Mobile GT2 version (like yours). What I should do to fix it? I'm going to test Rehabman's instructions, but anyway it should work with your dsdt, no? I'm really confused, why aren't working?

Ok, as I saw it in Windows I'm using the Mobile GT2 version (like yours). What I should do to fix it? I'm going to test Rehabman's instructions, but anyway it should work with your dsdt, no? I'm really confused, why aren't working?

As long as you haven't changed any of the AppleIntel kexts in S/L/E in extensions it should work with my DSDT and SSDT's. Make sure you have the following FakePCI kexts applied to S/L/E: FakePCI, FakePCI_Intel_HD4600_HD4400, FakePCI_Intel_HDMI_Audio and if you have the Broadcom wireless card FakePCI_BCM94352Z  

On those instructions to create your own DSDT and SSDT, there is also the config.plist file included that you can try replacing yours in Clover. Hope that works.

Hi, I've installed El Capitan with Andrw0380's most recent files and everything works, but I have no sound. How do I fix it?

There is an additional Clover patch in KextstoPatch section of your config.plist. On Rehabman's github for envy has all three patches. Sorry I am posting this on my phone so don't have the exact code

• Like 1

There is an additional Clover patch in KextstoPatch section of your config.plist. On Rehabman's github for envy has all three patches. Sorry I am posting this on my phone so don't have the exact code

My sound started working out of nowhere and now I have the same functionality as I did in Yosemite (the two top speakers and headphone jack works). Does the kernel patches you mention add any functionality, like fixing the rest of the speakers? or am I good as it is.

thanks.

My sound started working out of nowhere and now I have the same functionality as I did in Yosemite (the two top speakers and headphone jack works). Does the kernel patches you mention add any functionality, like fixing the rest of the speakers? or am I good as it is.

thanks.

Since those are working you are good. It must just needed a reboot after the install. I knew it either needed the patch in your Clover config.plist or a reboot. Glad you are up and running.