HP Envy 17t-j000 Quad (Haswell) + 10.8.5/10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x/10.13.x/10.14.x

gygabyte666

1,321 posts in this topic

Thanks! Finally got it booting, seems my initial problem was that I had gotten a distro. After acquiring the real installer got it booting, but after some hiccups though. Did anyone else experience the installer not finding their HDD drives(I had that), or not being able to format the free partition you intend to install it to, it just hangs or shows an error about no free space, my only choice was to install into the mSATA drive that came with my system.

I fixed the ethernet and the Energy Saver system settings panel by using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext. am I supposed to do this? 

Also when i close the lid and open it the screen doesn't light back up, but the computer is clearly awake and functional. I have to hard restart.

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext shouldn't be used. It does exactly what the name implies...disables all CPU power management features and runs it at a constant frequency. This will affect many things including battery life, sleep and overall performance. Make a proper power management SSDT for your CPU and use that instead.

News about card reader?

Nope, I haven't checked in a long time either. Sorry. :(

Thanks! Finally got it booting, seems my initial problem was that I had gotten a distro. After acquiring the real installer got it booting, but after some hiccups though. Did anyone else experience the installer not finding their HDD drives(I had that), or not being able to format the free partition you intend to install it to, it just hangs or shows an error about no free space, my only choice was to install into the mSATA drive that came with my system.

Distros suck! Avoid them in the future since they usually only CAUSE problems, not fix them.

If the installer doesn't display your HDD then you may need a driver for your HDD controller or it isn't being picked up properly and is experiencing limited functionality due to a current driver. This can happen when an Apple driver detects that the controller should be able to do x (based on what current Macs can do using a similar HDD controller) but instead it is limited to y. This shouldn't be causing issues as severe as what you're experiencing though. At best it would probably only slow down the drive performance. So, your machine having a different controller and needing a proper driver is still the most likely answer. Other than that, the only other things I can think of right now are some settings are incorrectly configured and are causing the problem. Double check your Clover setup config.plist and make sure you don't have anything enabled that you don't need. If in doubt, disable it and test to make sure you don't need it to boot.

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext shouldn't be used. It does exactly what the name implies...disables all CPU power management features and runs it at a constant frequency. This will affect many things including battery life, sleep and overall performance. Make a proper power management SSDT for your CPU and use that instead.

Im not using it anymore, for some reason now it doesn't hang when accessing the Energy Saver Sys panel. I'm guessing the SSDT provided by Andrw380 works well.

But I still can't close the lid and have the screen wake up when i open it. I don't care if the computer doesn't sleep when i close the lid (it does when i put it to sleep by apple menu) I just want to be able to close it while the computer is on. I don't understand well how to create an ssdt-3...

Anyway, the computer works well and stable. been using it 100% for work and I'm very happy with it even with that fault. still I'd like to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you pls post the files for 10.10 in the main post? Your attached file does not work, and you dont have anything on DropBox.

First post updated with temp. link added to post #700 so people know of Andrw0380's generosity while they wait on me to finish fixing mine.

I've done quite a few updates to my repo for the Envy. I based the changes on my current Lenovo u430 repo (which was originally based on my envy repo). Even though I no longer have the laptop, it wasn't much work to port the changes from the u430, so I make it available to those that still have this laptop.

A full script is provided that generates all patched ACPI files (DSDT and SSDTs).

There are also scripts (download.sh and install_downloads.sh) that will download and install all required kexts.

A full step-by-step guide is linked.

The patched AppleHDA (using symlink style injector kext) is there (and installed by install_downloads.sh) but the contents of Platforms.xml.zlib and layout12.xml.zlib are based on an early version of patched AppleHDA.kext originally found here. If there have been improvements, it would be easy to integrate the new content.

Please check it out and provide feedback: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch

• Like 2

I've done quite a few updates to my repo for the Envy. I based the changes on my current Lenovo u430 repo (which was originally based on my envy repo). Even though I no longer have the laptop, it wasn't much work to port the changes from the u430, so I make it available to those that still have this laptop.

A full script is provided that generates all patched ACPI files (DSDT and SSDTs).

There are also scripts (download.sh and install_downloads.sh) that will download and install all required kexts.

A full step-by-step guide is linked.

The patched AppleHDA (using symlink style injector kext) is there (and installed by install_downloads.sh) but the contents of Platforms.xml.zlib and layout12.xml.zlib are based on an early version of patched AppleHDA.kext originally found here. If there have been improvements, it would be easy to integrate the new content.

Please check it out and provide feedback: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-Envy-DSDT-Patch

I tried your patch from last week, when you updated all the files with one merge and my SSDT-3 for CPU didn't provide proper power management. I tried adjusting my config.plist with the adjustments from yours. Could the generated ones from linux have an issue. I got the latest patches working by replacing with the one generated from Pike-Alpha. Any suggestions as your work is awesome. BTW regarding the AppleHDA try this attachment as volume adjustment from the menu bar works and no amber light like the one provided in the repo. Thanks again.

DummyHDA-top_speakers.kext.zip

I tried your patch from last week, when you updated all the files with one merge and my SSDT-3 for CPU didn't provide proper power management. I tried adjusting my config.plist with the adjustments from yours. Could the generated ones from linux have an issue. I got the latest patches working by replacing with the one generated from Pike-Alpha. Any suggestions as your work is awesome. BTW regarding the AppleHDA try this attachment as volume adjustment from the menu bar works and no amber light like the one provided in the repo. Thanks again.

You should read the guide. SSDT.aml from ssdtPRgen.sh is still required. Use the config.plist from the repo. If you're inserting into an existing install, make sure you clean out your ACPI/patched before doing 'make install'.

I don't have the laptop anymore. Any AppleHDA testing will have to come from others that do. I'm welcome to bring in a new AppleHDA (actually just the files that are used to build it), if there is consensus on the best files to use.

You should read the guide. SSDT.aml from ssdtPRgen.sh is still required. Use the config.plist from the repo. If you're inserting into an existing install, make sure you clean out your ACPI/patched before doing 'make install'.

I don't have the laptop anymore. Any AppleHDA testing will have to come from others that do. I'm welcome to bring in a new AppleHDA (actually just the files that are used to build it), if there is consensus on the best files to use.

Ok thanks I didn't know since when I used make install, the SSDT it replaced contained the same CPU 0 - CPU 7 so thought that would work without it. Everything works once I replace that SSDT.aml with Pike's. Thanks again.

Ok thanks I didn't know since when I used make install, the SSDT it replaced contained the same CPU 0 - CPU 7 so thought that would work without it. Everything works once I replace that SSDT.aml with Pike's. Thanks again.

Pike's ssdtPRgen.sh generated SSDT.aml defines APSS, ACST, and plugin-type=1 injection. Native SSDTs provide _PSS/_CST (and other CPU PM related objects).

Let me know on the audio thing. Perhaps you could summarize the differences between the AppleHDA in the repo vs. the one you're proposing. I can then work out some way to provide it as an option (or the default). Plus if it fixes things, I'd like to know "what," so I can dig into the "how." Does it fix the subwoofer?

Edit: Looking into the details of your updated DummyHDA.kext. I think it may be using the wrong bundleid for the pin config verbs (HDA Hardware Config Resource). It is using com.apple.driver.AppleHDA. I think this should be com.Apple.driver.AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver (as that is where the code for this kext lives). Perhaps it works with both... Not sure. But I've always used AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver and it seems more correct as that's what the original kext uses and that's the bundleid of the binary that needs to load.

Pike's ssdtPRgen.sh generated SSDT.aml defines APSS, ACST, and plugin-type=1 injection. Native SSDTs provide _PSS/_CST (and other CPU PM related objects).

Let me know on the audio thing. Perhaps you could summarize the differences between the AppleHDA in the repo vs. the one you're proposing. I can then work out some way to provide it as an option (or the default). Plus if it fixes things, I'd like to know "what," so I can dig into the "how." Does it fix the subwoofer?

Edit: Looking into the details of your updated DummyHDA.kext. I think it may be using the wrong bundleid for the pin config verbs (HDA Hardware Config Resource). It is using com.apple.driver.AppleHDA. I think this should be com.Apple.driver.AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver (as that is where the code for this kext lives). Perhaps it works with both... Not sure. But I've always used AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver and it seems more correct as that's what the original kext uses and that's the bundleid of the binary that needs to load.

Yeah me and nrjmadan have been working on it and his DummyHDA allows the front speakers to work which allows louder volume. He said his pinconfig in this post to allow this. The main list that it fixes are:

- Top Speakers are working allowing higher volume

- The amber light on the mute key doesn't light up when sounds are playing on the system

- Headphone mic is working even after 2 minutes, which before would cut out

- Volume adjustment on the menu bar works on the Internal Speakers where on the Apple HDA in the repo, it is stuck at full volume

Hope this helps. These are the differences I have notice on my system. Headphone switching seems to happen more often instead of the bug where it will stay on Internal speakers when Headphones are plugged in and vice versa. I am not much of a coder, just am provided my two cents on what I've notice from my testing.

Yeah me and nrjmadan have been working on it and his DummyHDA allows the front speakers to work which allows louder volume. He said his pinconfig in this post to allow this. The main list that it fixes are:

- Top Speakers are working allowing higher volume

- The amber light on the mute key doesn't light up when sounds are playing on the system

- Headphone mic is working even after 2 minutes, which before would cut out

- Volume adjustment on the menu bar works on the Internal Speakers where on the Apple HDA in the repo, it is stuck at full volume

Hope this helps. These are the differences I have notice on my system. Headphone switching seems to happen more often instead of the bug where it will stay on Internal speakers when Headphones are plugged in and vice versa. I am not much of a coder, just am provided my two cents on what I've notice from my testing.

When I had the laptop, I never noticed "Volume adjustment on the menu bar works on the Internal Speakers where on the Apple HDA in the repo, it is stuck at full volume"... volume adjustment was always working. And that has been the feedback so far with the repo (as problems with volume adjustment have not been mentioned).

I'll update the repo with your changes and see how the feedback goes...

Note: Update is pushed. Please test it.

When I had the laptop, I never noticed "Volume adjustment on the menu bar works on the Internal Speakers where on the Apple HDA in the repo, it is stuck at full volume"... volume adjustment was always working. And that has been the feedback so far with the repo (as problems with volume adjustment have not been mentioned).

I'll update the repo with your changes and see how the feedback goes...

Note: Update is pushed. Please test it.

Thanks downloaded repo and the Audio works awesome! Didn't mention it, but the video flicker is gone on the Apple logo since your update over a week ago and HDMI audio is working without applying the patch manually. :D

Thanks downloaded repo and the Audio works awesome! Didn't mention it, but the video flicker is gone on the Apple logo since your update over a week ago and HDMI audio is working without applying the patch manually. :D

Cool. Thanks for the feedback!

Cool. Thanks for the feedback!

No problem. Quick question, I know you no longer have your Envy laptop, but does your laptop have the sudden screech sound when playing content on the headphones? It only lasts for about a half second before the content will play, but on every Apple HDA that picked up the IDT 76E0 card, has that same sound and after about 30 seconds of stopping the sounds, the same screech happens. It's weird because if I have the headphones plugged in and boot Windows, the same screech sound happens, but it only happens while the system is booting and the sound is not heard when playing sounds. 

I know it's not a big deal was just wondering on if it is just the IDT 76E0 card in Mac or something that has an explanation. 

No problem. Quick question, I know you no longer have your Envy laptop, but does your laptop have the sudden screech sound when playing content on the headphones? It only lasts for about a half second before the content will play, but on every Apple HDA that picked up the IDT 76E0 card, has that same sound and after about 30 seconds of stopping the sounds, the same screech happens. It's weird because if I have the headphones plugged in and boot Windows, the same screech sound happens, but it only happens while the system is booting and the sound is not heard when playing sounds. 

I know it's not a big deal was just wondering on if it is just the IDT 76E0 card in Mac or something that has an explanation.

Not on my u430 (Realtek ALC233), but I do notice a slight screech with my ProBook 4540s (IDT 76d9).

Not on my u430 (Realtek ALC233), but I do notice a slight screech with my ProBook 4540s (IDT 76d9).

Thanks at least I know it's not just me lol! Who knows maybe the combination of the headphone and mic jack with IDT might be causing it. I know Bluetooth doesn't do it. At least audio works that's the main thing.

Thanks at least I know it's not just me lol! Who knows maybe the combination of the headphone and mic jack with IDT might be causing it. I know Bluetooth doesn't do it. At least audio works that's the main thing.

FYI: The Probook has headphone separate from external mic.

FYI: The Probook has headphone separate from external mic.

Just a theory my old HP had the two separate, but I did use VoodooHDA at the time so that may be why that sound didn't happen. Must be something with IDT and AppleHDA. Thanks again for all your help!

Hey Rehabman, I just want to say thank you for your updated Envy repo! :D  I updated my system by using your guide and it works perfectly. I did notice one thing that happened that never happened on my machine, the trackpad in my laptop suddenly wasn't responsive. I had several reboots before without that issue so it was weird. 

I was wondering, looking over your config.plist, what does dropping the SSDT table "DMAR" do? Also I notice the Apple RTC and KernelLaptic was set to true. I am wondering as my computer boots and so far don't notice an improvement with or without. Thanks

Hey Rehabman, I just want to say thank you for your updated Envy repo! :D  I updated my system by using your guide and it works perfectly. I did notice one thing that happened that never happened on my machine, the trackpad in my laptop suddenly wasn't responsive. I had several reboots before without that issue so it was weird. 

I was wondering, looking over your config.plist, what does dropping the SSDT table "DMAR" do? Also I notice the Apple RTC and KernelLaptic was set to true. I am wondering as my computer boots and so far don't notice an improvement with or without. Thanks

My Envy had "Local APIC" kernel panic without KernelLapic. Other models may vary, or even a BIOS update could have fixed the problem... Experiment without it and see if you can boot. But there is no harm in including the patch, as it has no effect for systems that don't need it.

The AppleRTC patch is to avoid CMOS resets. It is about 50/50 with laptops as to whether it is required or not... I don't remember testing for certain, but I include it in my default config.plist as it generally helps but usually doesn't cause any problem.

From what I understand DMAR dropping can do the same as dart=0, for the case that VT-d is enabled in BIOS (or enabled without an option in BIOS). You can try with/without and see how the system responds.

As far as trackpad, make sure you have the latest kext, and no other PS2 kexts. Also check that you're not injecting kexts... and that kernel cache is up-to-date (eg. rebuild cache). It is easy to accidently inject kexts when they are already in /S/L/E especially if you start using custom entries (because you may forget to turn off kext injection for the custom entry). When in doubt do an EC reset (disconnect all power sources [including battery], hold down power button 30 sec, reconnect all power sources, boot).

Also, keep in mind the trackpad is automatically disabled when a USB mouse is plugged in should you have the corresponding option in SysPrefs->Accessibility enabled. If previously you didn't have the VoodooPS2Daemon installed, that feature would not have been working...

My Envy had "Local APIC" kernel panic without KernelLapic. Other models may vary, or even a BIOS update could have fixed the problem... Experiment without it and see if you can boot. But there is no harm in including the patch, as it has no effect for systems that don't need it.

The AppleRTC patch is to avoid CMOS resets. It is about 50/50 with laptops as to whether it is required or not... I don't remember testing for certain, but I include it in my default config.plist as it generally helps but usually doesn't cause any problem.

From what I understand DMAR dropping can do the same as dart=0, for the case that VT-d is enabled in BIOS (or enabled without an option in BIOS). You can try with/without and see how the system responds.

As far as trackpad, make sure you have the latest kext, and no other PS2 kexts. Also check that you're not injecting kexts... and that kernel cache is up-to-date (eg. rebuild cache). It is easy to accidently inject kexts when they are already in /S/L/E especially if you start using custom entries (because you may forget to turn off kext injection for the custom entry). When in doubt do an EC reset (disconnect all power sources [including battery], hold down power button 30 sec, reconnect all power sources, boot).

Also, keep in mind the trackpad is automatically disabled when a USB mouse is plugged in should you have the corresponding option in SysPrefs->Accessibility enabled. If previously you didn't have the VoodooPS2Daemon installed, that feature would not have been working...

Perfect explanation! Last thing that I've notice and was just wondering. On my Envy 17-j laptop, the battery bar on Apple is slightly behind the HWMonitor. What happens is the Menu Bar for Apple will say battery is fully charge while the battery isn't actually charged, it just looks like the battery percentage isn't providing the same information as HW Monitor. That is the only bug I've found, you guide is awesome!

Perfect explanation! Last thing that I've notice and was just wondering. On my Envy 17-j laptop, the battery bar on Apple is slightly behind the HWMonitor. What happens is the Menu Bar for Apple will say battery is fully charge while the battery isn't actually charged, it just looks like the battery percentage isn't providing the same information as HW Monitor. That is the only bug I've found, you guide is awesome!

Two possibilities:

- ACPIBatteryManager.kext only updates every 30 seconds, and not sure how often HwMonitor updates, but since they update at different times, they are not guaranteed to show the same value. Note: HwMonitor is looking at the ioreg data (at regular intervals) placed there by ACPIBatteryManager.kext. The system looks at the ioreg when notified by ACPIBatteryManager.kext. Summary: they are both looking at the same data, but at different times.

- HwMonitor may not do the calculation exactly the same as the system (rounding difference?)

On my ENVY 17-j017sg i installed OS X Yosemite with the help of Fahad Ibn Omar Fajardos Youtube-Guide

Now i tried to update my clover partiton with files from post #700 since the are more specific to my model.

The Problem: Now my screen brightness adjustment doesnt work anymore. Anybody knows what i did wrong and how to get it working again?

Thank You!

P.S I also copied some files to s/l/e