• Please log in to reply
1266 replies to this topic

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I haven't given up yet. In fact, I updated the main page just last night.

Anyway, I have pretty much everything working with mine. Still have a lot of fine tuning to do though so it'll still be some time until I can call it complete.

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Feel free to try out Rehabman's clickpad kext.  I think it's pretty good.  If you agree, us it.  If not, upload yours so I can try it out myself.

https://code.google..../downloads/list

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Appreciate the link mnfesq!

Rehabman's Voodoo kext is pretty nice. It's very similar to what I was already using, the only difference is mine was older and this combines what use to be 2 different kexts for me. Thanks again :)

Demonbane

Demonbane

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

hey congrats! you may be the first one who run MacOS on Haswell laptop :)

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Heh, thank you! ^_^

It'd be pretty cool if it was true but honestly, I doubt it. IM has always had some talented people, and through the support i've recieved, i woukdn't be surprised if the title of first Haswell laptop went to someone else. I just might be the only one who documented success story. Still...it'd be pretty cool just the same. Lol

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted this on the first page already but i'll repost it here too. Hopefully, someone with the knowledge can see it and reply with good news for me. I mentioned this when I first started this thread, which feels like such a LONG time ago now. For those who weren't around, i'll recap:

Long story short, my wireless card will NEVER work with OS X. I always knew this. So, I swapped it out with one from my other machine. This was only intended to be a temporary solution until I got the system to the point where I felt like I should invest into a replacement. Anyway, that time has come and I need advice from those wiser than myself.

All that said, I didn't take into account the possibility of HP boning me by building my machine with only 1 half-mini card slot. So, there goes the idea to use 2 different cards (1 = wireless, 1 = bluetooth) and since my original card was a dual Bluetooth+Wireless card, I lost Bluetooth support since the switch. I'm aiming to get it back without wasting a USB port with a dongle. Can anyone kindly recommend me a new card? Obviously, I would much rather prefer this card to be a 2-in-1 Bluetooth+Wireless and it would be AWESOME if it was either natively supported, or only requires a simple DSDT edit to work with OS X. I hope one exists...Oh and please, no recommendations for a card you assume will work. It should be confirmed. I don't have the cash to waste on maybe cards. Keeping the price as cheap as possible is another MEGA plus. ;p

Thanks in advance! ^_^

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

OK, I verified that you do only have one pci-e half mini card slot for wifi/bt.  I used one on my HP Envy 17t-3200 CTO but ultimately switched to separate cards for wifi and bt because that's how that laptop is designed.  The combo card that worked for me was the Atheros AR5B195 pci-e half mini card.  Here's a link for it on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item461298b40f

The drawbacks I found were that it's only BT 3.0, not 4.0, the BT firmware does not load consistently (unless I boot into Windows first) and I get faster wifi transfer rates with my current Atheros wifi-only card (AR9258).  The plus is that it's sure to work.  

My understanding is that there has been advances to the BT kext for the AR5B195.  It used to break sleep.  I believe it is called IOath3kNull.kext.  

BTW - If you don't already have this, you might find it useful:

http://h10032.www1.h...l/c03922401.pdf

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Thanks for the info mnfesq! I'll look into that card more when I can.

I think i'm gonna try to do some research into Broadcom cards too. I am currently using one and I know how they perform. Not to mention almost every Bluetooth supported with OS X uses some kind of Broadcom chip so I trust them enough to invest into. I just need to get some time to look into a 2-in-1 card and hope they offer one. Otherwise, you're suggest might be my best option. I'd like to have as little trouble with the new card as possible.

Excuse me if I am wrong since I didn't check out the PDF you linked to but i'm assuming the last link is for my model's service manual. If so, then yes I have already got it and looked at it extensively. They are a great source of information.

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Well, I had a decent lead on a Broadcom card but it fell through due to price. It was WAY too expensive. Back to square one. It's a shame too, I love BCM cards. I'm open to Atheros too though. Ralink is pretty much out of the question for me though, just due to the fact that many of them require separate drivers and their own utility at boot-time. If I have to I'll downgrade to using an older card (BT 3.0, etc) but I would really like to try to find something that works with BT 4.0 and 5Ghz Wifi would be fantastic. That's all optional perks though for me. If anyone has any thoughts, or suggestions please fill me in. ^_^

Mahesh

Mahesh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Saw ur thread while searching for my Lenovo hackintosh. I have found a link to wifi and bt combo cards that works with a little edits. http://forum.osxlati...o-card-for-osx/ hope it helps u. Happy Hacking 

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Thanks for the suggestion Mahesh, unfortunately, the Broadcom lead I mentioned previously, was this exact same card. The price is just too high. I've only seen it listed on eBay and the lowest I could find was $100. That is just too expensive for a card. Unless of course you know of another place that sells it for cheap. Thanks again though.

Mahesh

Mahesh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Yeah the price is too much i know. I'm also searching for a wifi card myself for my Lenovo G580. Now i'm asking myself do i really need a bluetooth. 

jhorie

jhorie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Hi,

I was following your guide of post 20, but I am stuck at Install and properly setup Chameleon: Number 4

The folders don't exist???

Can you upload it again?

Thank you!

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Yeah the price is too much i know. I'm also searching for a wifi card myself for my Lenovo G580. Now i'm asking myself do i really need a bluetooth. 

Agreed. The price is totally outrageous IMO. When I get some time, i'm gonna try to look more into an older card. I assume the price will be much lower if I just settle for a card using BT 3 instead of BT 4. We'll see though I guess. I can't believe how much of a pain this is turning out to be. :(

Hi,

I was following your guide of post 20, but I am stuck at Install and properly setup Chameleon: Number 4

The folders don't exist???

Can you upload it again?

Thank you!

Wow! People are actually using that guide?! Sorry, I very quickly wrote it for someone else and I'm not even sure that they ever used it. I figured no one would to be honest. I hate to tell you this but it's EXTREMELY outdated now. Technically, the majority of the guide is still fine, it's just the parts that rely on my kexts, my progress, etc. that are outdated. I'm not even using Chameleon anymore. Soooooooo...yeah. >_>

That said, if you still want to continue, I've updated the zip archive and you should re-download it. It has [UPDATED] next to it so you can tell which one you need to get. I added the org.chameleon.Boot.plist back into it since i'm pretty sure it's what you were missing before. Otherwise, it's exactly the same, just has a few folders now. Sorry, but obviously that "guide" just doesn't get updated and it probably never will.

jpsys

jpsys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello Gygabyte,

I do not mean to rush you, but I just found your thread and have an Envy 17-j092nr.  Might you please update your guide based on the Clover bootloader you currently run?  I will be happy to share my findings if it will help.  Thank you so much!  Sorry I could not help earlier.

Best Regards,

jpsys

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Hi jpsys,

Sorry, but as mentioned in my previous post, the guide I wrote isn't being actively updated. Mainly, due to the fact that several, better guides exist both here on IM and scattered across the web. Secondly, there really isn't a surefire, universal method for every machine type. That said, the process is pretty similar. The only differences are my kernel. For whatever reason, I can't use the stock vanilla kernel for 10.8.5 with either Chameleon or for Clover. My kernel is the custom 10.8.4 kernel with Haswell support added. Google is your friend. Other than that, using any standard Clover guide should suffice. Just make sure if you install Clover with UEFI, you select and install OsxAptioFixDrv too. Otherwise it will probably hang. I'll try to update the main page with install files and info soon. Files are live now! Good luck. :-)

jpsys

jpsys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello Gygabyte,

Got it, thanks.  I have been trying to get to the install screen via the Clover bootloader, but I seem to always get the reboot problem as soon as the kernel starts, and I am stuck on that step.  I have checked the OSXAptioFixDrv option using the Clover Installer application when preparing the USB stick.  I am attempting a few other options-- if you have any pearls of wisdom, I thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

JPSys

mnfesq

mnfesq

Emenef, Esquire

• Members
  • 1,184 posts

Hello Gygabyte,

Got it, thanks.  I have been trying to get to the install screen via the Clover bootloader, but I seem to always get the reboot problem as soon as the kernel starts, and I am stuck on that step.  I have checked the OSXAptioFixDrv option using the Clover Installer application when preparing the USB stick.  I am attempting a few other options-- if you have any pearls of wisdom, I thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

JPSys 

Just to be sure, try using an earlier version of Clover, such as rev. 2165.  I can't get the new versions to go past the point where you have problems too.

gygabyte666

gygabyte666

Insanely >_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
What mnfesq said. I discovered I have to stay on or below r2133 otherwise my audio breaks. So be wary of the versions you play with.

Other than that, it depends really on your system and hardware. You have a different model than mine so things will likely be different for both of us. If you haven't yet, make and fix your dsdt. After that, just play around with the options. You're especially gonna want to enable the kernel patch for the CPU and very likely the lapic patch too. If you're trying to install a retail 10.8.5 install, you should look into a replacement kernel. I still can't load the vanilla stock 10.8.5 kernel and I'm assuming you probably can't either. Google search for a 10.8.4 kernel patched for Has well (assuming you have a Haswell).

I couldn't get around to it today but I was planning to release my files today since my progress has halted for now but I never got around to it. Maybe tomorrow if I can get some free time. They might help you. So keep an eye out.

Good luck. ^_^

jpsys

jpsys

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

UPDATE

Following Gygabyte's earlier guide, I was able to get to the install screen using installer files from 10.8.2 and Chameleon.  Does Clover have the same KernelPatcher.dylib file that Chameleon does in order to get past the reboot loop?

Thanks mnfesq for your insight, I will update you on my progress.  Thanks Gygabyte!

Best Regards,

JPSys

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy