HP Pavilion dv6-3136tx Local APIC Error

mitch101

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I tried to install OS X today, but I can't get to the installer. I'm trying to do it off of USB with the Clover bootloader. I am not sure how to type in flags, and my laptop's inbuilt keyboard doesn't work apart from Enter and arrow keys. Plugging in a USB keyboard doesn't work. The error I get is Local APIC Error and then a panic. I don't have a camera so I can't take a pic.

Specs:

HP Pavilion dv6-3136tx Notebook

6GB DDR3 (I think) RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon Premium Graphics 5650 Graphics Card

Intel Core i5 Processor

Windows 7 Home Premium

Just to clarify, I CAN NOT GET INTO THE INSTALLER.

@mitch101 That kernel panic is common with HP computers with Intel i series processors. You can either boot with cpus=1 or use a modified kernel to prevent it for occuring. Cpus=1 will limit your cpu to only using one of it's cores though, so it will hinder your computer's preformance. I consider the latter to be a much better option.

I wrote a utility a few months ago that can patch kernels to bypass the lapic kernel panic. You can patch the kernel on your USB with it. Here it is :D

• Like 1

@mitch101 That kernel panic is common with HP computers with Intel i series processors. You can either boot with cpus=1 or use a modified kernel to prevent it for occuring. Cpus=1 will limit your cpu to only using one of it's cores though, so it will hinder your computer's preformance. I consider the latter to be a much better option.

I wrote a utility a few months ago that can patch kernels to bypass the lapic kernel panic. You can patch the kernel on your USB with it. Here it is :D

Patcher uses OS X which is a no go. And I fixed the keyboard, but no idea how to enter flags in Clover.

EDIT: Woohoo! I found out how, and CPUs=1 worked! Thanks guys. /close