Disk does not appears (Dell optiplex 755)

chris1111

45 posts in this topic

Chris, I have never dealt w/ Clover so far .. Have you tried Chameleon w/ 10.9 on our 755, and it's problematic? Or the other way around, what's the advantage of running 10.9 on Clover versus Chameleon?

Good news:I copied IOPCIFamily.kext / IOAHCIFamily.kext / AppleAHCIPort.kext from my parallel 10.8.5 install into 10.9 /Extra and disabled boot cache in the boot plist --> 10.9 boots, internal volumes recognized, even correctly as AHCI ..

I'll try next to apply an extended myhack.kext with these kexts inside, too, to /S/L/E. Usually myhack forces priority so whatever containing kexts are loaded first, and kexts with the same name in /S/L/E are ignored ("kext with same name already loaded"). That's way more elegant than overwriting Apple kexts in /S/L/E, which tend to get overwritten by some future update.

Also by using the consolidated myhack.kext (or the older Extra.kext), one keeps the system more Vanilla which is a prerequisite for cloning an install onto other Hacks & Macs ..

Chris, I have never dealt w/ Clover so far .. Have you tried Chameleon w/ 10.9 on our 755, and it's problematic? Or the other way around, what's the advantage of running 10.9 on Clover versus Chameleon?

HI BugsB  :)  I never try clover on that machine and I sold it last mont  :D  happy for you ! your on the right way I think  :P  B)

I found this post after 5 or 6 hours of fiddling with boot flags etc. In the MacOS installer, I was getting "waiting for root device" or the install would "see no drives" to install the OS onto. Same with DiskUtility.

After reading this post, I put IOPCIFamily.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext and AppleAHCIPort.kext from S/L/E on my 10.8.5 OS in a folder. I used KextWizard and dragged the three kext and install them on the MacOS installation drive. Used KextWizard for maintenance of S/L/E (rebuild caches, set permissions etc) on the installation drive.

10.9 is installing now. Yeah.. On to the next hurdle!

Trying to get Dell 530 (10.8.2 works on internal SATA already) to see internal disk. myHack 10.9 vanilla will boot but the internal SATA drive is not displayed only USB drives. I copied the three kexts you quote from working 10.8.2 S/L/E to the myHack S/L/E with Kext Wizard. Now will not boot and seems to hang at DSMOS has arrived. 

Did you alter anything in the Extra/Extensions folder as well or just those three texts in S/L/E and nothing else? Could you post the three 10.8.5 kexts mentioned as only have 10.8.2

Thanks

GoGas,

The link contains the files mentioned earlier: 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ifdcgale0lmh4yk/Rfym9353Ef

From the time of the invisible drives, all I did was used Kext Wizard to install them.

As always, I did the typical maintenance in Kext Wizard afterwards (repair permissions and rebuild caches) and use boot flags -v -f during boot up.

There are other files in the folder that are specific to my Dell Optiplex 755. Your mileage may vary with the Dell 530, however.

• Like 1

@ Chris: you sold your OP 755? Get outta here .. ;)

you sold it as a 10.9 hackintosh? Just curious .. (that would sound like a lot of future support .. ;) )

Nice for you you Guys  B)  BugsB At this time Mavericks is on EXT drive for me  :ninja:  I sold the pc in the same week that the update 10.8.5

and the buyer really Happy  :D  :thumbsup_anim:

• Like 1

GoGas,

From the time of the invisible drives, all I did was used Kext Wizard to install them.

As always, I did the typical maintenance in Kext Wizard afterwards (repair permissions and rebuild caches) and use boot flags -v -f during boot up.

There are other files in the folder that are specific to my Dell Optiplex 755. Your mileage may vary with the Dell 530, however.

many thanks - will try these kexts but starting to think the 530 issue is slightly different; so annoying as obviously solved it 8 months ago but unable to do so now.

AppleHDADisabler info: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293464-applehda-disabler-for-mavericks/?p=1963376

GoGas,

please remove the SMBIOS.plist, it is fundamentally WRONG because it is one for MACBOOK .. or does your OP 755 have a battery and a trackpad ??

The only model identifiers that may be used w/ our 755 are specific iMac and MacPro models which can house Core2Duos and Xeons.

Thank you,

Bugs

• 1 month later...

Guys. Someone can tell why we need this old kexts? Where problem in the dsdt? Because I don't like this solution (we can have more problems).

There are some motherboards that need modified IOPCIFamily.kext in order to work properly (http://netkas.org/?p=1072). Together with that kext you need matching AppleACPIPlatform.kext, or you'll get kernel panic. Since 10.8.5 and Mavericks, because of changes Apple have made, when you replace two kexts mentioned above - appleahciport.kext won't work and because of that there is no available HDDs.

In one of earlier threads I gave temporary solution (replacing new kexts with IOPCIFamily.kext, AppleACPIPlatform.kext and appleahciport.kext from 10.8.4), but that's just workaround until somebody update modified IOPCIFamily.kext in order to work with 10.8.5 and 10.9.0. I would like if I could do that, but it is above my knowledge.

Replacing IOPCIFamily.kext is not needed for most used Gigabyte boards, but for some more "exotic" MBs like my Dual Xeon Supermicro X8DAE or some Dell models it is the only solution.

But on 10.8.5 all works fine. Maybe we can update something in DSDT? Because we have intel ich9do chip with ahci. So problem maybe with chip ID or something like this

For some users 10.8.5 is OK and some started to have issues with that version. Probably for one group it could be solved with DSDT (IRQs, IDs, whatever), and those who had to use modified IOPCIFamily.kext before will need updated version that works with AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.9.0.

Problem is that both fixes are not really easy (as far as I know), and people with deeper knowledge would have to help with this issue. On the other hand there are not many motherboards affected. Most of the Gigabyte and Asus models are OK, and that's probably what more than 85% of people using here (I myself have 5 Gigabyte hacks and one Supermicro with this problem). So, I'm not very optimistic that this will be solved soon (if ever). I have started first thread about this problem almost 6 months ago http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290371-no-hard-drives/?do=findComment&comment=1930336 and nothing really changed since than.

GoGas,

Thanks a lot. You save my 755 under the hammer!LOL

• 3 months later...

As I see this is can be not IOPCIFamily.kext problem. Seems as PCIFamily found SATA device. But then initialization of AHCI fails. When I change PCIRoot, SATA devices hides from PCIFamily and all works fine. Kext scan another PCI devices and all OK.

AHCI drivers not opensoused by apple :(

What do you mean George? Only have to add PCIRootUID=0  on boot with myHack and drive is recognized during install? No kext added?

• 1 month later...

Hi, can somebody help me? I want to install Mavericks on a Dell 755 SFF but I've tried a lot of things and none of them work. Can somebody upload the Mavericks 10.9.1 install? I currently have the 10.9.2 and I think that's the problem... I was able to install it, but I was getting a Still Waiting For Root Device when trying to boot from HDD..

Can somebody help me? Thanks!

Hi, can somebody help me? I want to install Mavericks on a Dell 755 SFF but I've tried a lot of things and none of them work. Can somebody upload the Mavericks 10.9.1 install? I currently have the 10.9.2 and I think that's the problem... I was able to install it, but I was getting a Still Waiting For Root Device when trying to boot from HDD..

Can somebody help me? Thanks!

What is your full specs ?

• 6 months later...

Ok i'm not sure if this will work out its not finished installing, but i saw this video

now this was for yosemite install on 755

but in the comments switch to legacy mode for hdd 

so have a niresh usb stick with 9.0 which worked for an asus board but wouldnt boot my 755

changed to legacy mode and its installing (graphics card a nvidia 610)

niresh stick needs a boot loader installing (if you find instructions to write it to usb).

now there is the boot0: problem but that just requires dd the boot1h file to the hdd 

that just takes a couple of usb sticks one for that file and the other to boot from.

CPU for the install is a dual core but normally i run a quad core 9600 but it can be flakey to boot on 10.7.5 so swopped out for now.

Feeling optimistic now.

• 1 month later...