Building a New System! Questions on Compatibility

Luigifan

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys! In short, I'm building a new system and I curious about the compatibility with the parts I've chosen. I wish to install 10.7 Lion at minimum, Mountain Lion would be nice but isn't necessary.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130639

Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231310

Harddrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767

Graphics card will be an AMD Radeon HD 7570 which I hear is the same thing as the Radeon HD 6570

If there's any other info you guys need, let me know please. I will try to provide as much as I can.

Thanks in advanced,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I in fact prefer AMD cards to nVidia (because of killer OpenCL support, which by the way will be the basis of many Apple pro apps in the near future), but they are not as straightforward to use with OSX. If you want to go AMD, use a model that Apple uses in its MacPro - such as the 5770 or 5870 - or one that's proven to work OOB, like the 6870.

All the best!

Hi!

I in fact prefer AMD cards to nVidia (because of killer OpenCL support, which by the way will be the basis of many Apple pro apps in the near future), but they are not as straightforward to use with OSX. If you want to go AMD, use a model that Apple uses in its MacPro - such as the 5770 or 5870 - or one that's proven to work OOB, like the 6870.

All the best!

Thank you for the best wishes! 

The thing is, I already have the card since my friend sent it to me. But I will attempt to use it with OS X and if it doesn't work oh well. There's still one more hope for a Hackintosh system.

I plan on picking up an HP Laptop after the system for school and stuff.

I will be using this: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-2000/D6Q62AV?HP-2000t-2d00-Notebook-PC

But with the i5 config. Thoughts? How well would it work? :)

Well, with AMD 7xxx you must start with Mountain Lion 10.8.3 +: good luck! About the laptop, should be easy to have it working, but be aware that some peripherals, such as Wi-Fi, ethernet or the card reader, have the possibility of not to work properly or at all, but even then, if it's the case, it can be partially solved by replacing the Wi-Fi card by a compatible one - a cheap but invasive solution - or buying a compatible Wi-Fi USB dongle.

All the best!

Well, with AMD 7xxx you must start with Mountain Lion 10.8.3 +: good luck! About the laptop, should be easy to have it working, but be aware that some peripherals, such as Wi-Fi, ethernet or the card reader, have the possibility of not to work properly or at all, but even then, if it's the case, it can be partially solved by replacing the Wi-Fi card by a compatible one - a cheap but invasive solution - or buying a compatible Wi-Fi USB dongle.

All the best!

SD card reader is no big deal, I'll research the ethernet and wifi as much as I can. Also, the Intel HD 4000 will be support out of the box since modern Macbook Airs use that right? Thanks :)

I have the following in my current pc

Manufacturer LENOVO   Model 6075WFR   Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM   System type 64-bit operating system   Number of processor cores 2

Storage   Total size of hard disk(s) 72 GB   Disk partition (C:) 43 GB Free (72 GB Total)   Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics   Display adapter type Intel® Q35 Express Chipset Family   Total available graphics memory 256 MB   Dedicated graphics memory 0 MB   Dedicated system memory 64 MB   Shared system memory 192 MB   Display adapter driver version 8.15.10.1930   Primary monitor resolution 1024x768   DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network   Network Adapter Intel® 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection      

I also have an older mac os running 10.5.8 can I just remove my hard drive in the mac and put it into my Lenovo computer and then update it to 10.7 software. without changing a bunch of international parts in the lenovo.