• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

RobertoBenzi

RobertoBenzi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello there, I'm tryin' to Triple Boot my Aspire One a150, as the title says, with Windows7, Lubuntu 13.04 and Snow Leopard, plus a shared data FAT32 partition.
The only Mac i have available is an old iBookG4 with Tiger (and that can't be upgraded to Leopard due to processor speed slower then 833Mhz - it's 800Mhz)

I did this way

I installed Win7 in the whole hard disk (this was before deciding to triple boot this computer), then I resized the Windows patition to 30GB (the whole drive is 160GB) with the partition manager Microsoft integrated in Windows7.

Then I installed Lubuntu on a Extended Partition with 1GB Logical Partition for Swap, 9GB Logical Partition for Lubuntu OS, 512MB unallocated space in case it may be needed to create a Chameleon partition.

From Gparted included in lubuntu live I also created a 20GB HFS+ partition (with hfsprogs) as a Primary Partition.

Now the troubles start.

I downloaded -- PIRATED OS i -- S3 v2, took a 8GB usb drive, plugged it in the iBook, formatted it with GUID Partition Table in HFS+ and restored the -- PIRATED OS i -- iso to it. I can't install Chameleon on it with the iBook 'cause it says (from v2 RC4 to the actual v2.1) that I need Leopard, and I only have Tiger and can't update to Leopard due to CPU restriction

So the magic bullet was to download Chameleon for Windows and install it (I wanted to install it in the -- PIRATED OS i -- USB drive, but there wasn't any kind of option to do that, so I had to install it on the Windows partition).

Now when I boot I select Windows 7 partition in GRUB, in Windows Multi Boot Manager I select Chameleon and in Chameleon I select my USB Flash with -- PIRATED OS i -- loaded, despite being funny and silly, it seems to work.

In the OSX Installation Menu I selected Disk Utility, formatted the Mac OS Partition from HFS+ to HFS+ Journaled, select this partition as target for installation and selected theese kext
config.jpg 
with the addition of the RTL8139 in Drivers-->Network-->Wired--->Realtek
the Apple PS/2 insted of Voodoo PS/2 in Drivers--->PS/2
and the RTC (32bit) instead of RTC in Patches-->RTC

Then I completed the installation process, let it reboot and booted to the MacOSX Partition with the above trick (Grub: Windows 7, WMBM: Chameleon, Chameleon: MACOSX drive - instead of installation disk -) giving -f and -v as boot option.

The problem is that after I while it change the font of the verbose mode, it says
Waiting for DSMOS...
systemShutdown False
and after a while stuck this way the screen turns totally white (one time the computer started playing stayin' Alive too) and then freeze.

I thought this may be because I don't have an EFI Partition (do I have it? How do I know if I do?) or maybe because my Partition Table is MBR instead of Hybrid GPT/MBR, may this be the problem?

In case it is, how do I solve this?

I read many guides and they say to use Disk Utility from OSX Install Disk to initially partition the disk in order to have a GUID Partition Table, but I can't due to the trick I have to use to make the install USB Drive start (that is having chameleon installed within windows), if I start from a clean disk I have no way to make the Install USB Drive boot.
There's a way to install chameleon in the Install USB drive within the OSX Installation Menu? Otherwise how can I switch to GUID -maybe avoiding to format Windows Partition if possible, cause I have various University programs on it and that would be a huge pain to reinstall them -?

Or if that's not related to partition table what may be issuing?

Thanks

X-TRiAL

X-TRiAL

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Hello there, I'm tryin' to Triple Boot my Aspire One a150, as the title says, with Windows7, Lubuntu 13.04 and Snow Leopard, plus a shared data FAT32 partition.
The only Mac i have available is an old iBookG4 with Tiger (and that can't be upgraded to Leopard due to processor speed slower then 833Mhz - it's 800Mhz)

I did this way

I installed Win7 in the whole hard disk (this was before deciding to triple boot this computer), then I resized the Windows patition to 30GB (the whole drive is 160GB) with the partition manager Microsoft integrated in Windows7.

Then I installed Lubuntu on a Extended Partition with 1GB Logical Partition for Swap, 9GB Logical Partition for Lubuntu OS, 512MB unallocated space in case it may be needed to create a Chameleon partition.

From Gparted included in lubuntu live I also created a 20GB HFS+ partition (with hfsprogs) as a Primary Partition.

Now the troubles start.

I downloaded -- PIRATED OS i -- S3 v2, took a 8GB usb drive, plugged it in the iBook, formatted it with GUID Partition Table in HFS+ and restored the -- PIRATED OS i -- iso to it. I can't install Chameleon on it with the iBook 'cause it says (from v2 RC4 to the actual v2.1) that I need Leopard, and I only have Tiger and can't update to Leopard due to CPU restriction

So the magic bullet was to download Chameleon for Windows and install it (I wanted to install it in the -- PIRATED OS i -- USB drive, but there wasn't any kind of option to do that, so I had to install it on the Windows partition).

Now when I boot I select Windows 7 partition in GRUB, in Windows Multi Boot Manager I select Chameleon and in Chameleon I select my USB Flash with -- PIRATED OS i -- loaded, despite being funny and silly, it seems to work.

In the OSX Installation Menu I selected Disk Utility, formatted the Mac OS Partition from HFS+ to HFS+ Journaled, select this partition as target for installation and selected theese kext
config.jpg 
with the addition of the RTL8139 in Drivers-->Network-->Wired--->Realtek
the Apple PS/2 insted of Voodoo PS/2 in Drivers--->PS/2
and the RTC (32bit) instead of RTC in Patches-->RTC

Then I completed the installation process, let it reboot and booted to the MacOSX Partition with the above trick (Grub: Windows 7, WMBM: Chameleon, Chameleon: MACOSX drive - instead of installation disk -) giving -f and -v as boot option.

The problem is that after I while it change the font of the verbose mode, it says
Waiting for DSMOS...
systemShutdown False
and after a while stuck this way the screen turns totally white (one time the computer started playing stayin' Alive too) and then freeze.

I thought this may be because I don't have an EFI Partition (do I have it? How do I know if I do?) or maybe because my Partition Table is MBR instead of Hybrid GPT/MBR, may this be the problem?

In case it is, how do I solve this?

I read many guides and they say to use Disk Utility from OSX Install Disk to initially partition the disk in order to have a GUID Partition Table, but I can't due to the trick I have to use to make the install USB Drive start (that is having chameleon installed within windows), if I start from a clean disk I have no way to make the Install USB Drive boot.
There's a way to install chameleon in the Install USB drive within the OSX Installation Menu? Otherwise how can I switch to GUID -maybe avoiding to format Windows Partition if possible, cause I have various University programs on it and that would be a huge pain to reinstall them -?

Or if that's not related to partition table what may be issuing?

Thanks

First of all I would try to stay away from distributions, they install a load of unwanted/unneeded software. (obviously your choice though)

I have Quad-boot working on my Acer with Windows 8, Kubuntu 13.04, ML 10.8.4, & Mavericks 10.9. 

The best way to get a working system is to reformat your whole drive and use a GPT and stay away from the MBR. 

For me I use Clover which I find is far superior, does your system support (U)EFI? Because then you could install all your operating systems via UEFI (like me). 

When I partitioned my HDD, I used GParted off of a Linux OS USB, to try and avoid my HDD becoming a Hybrid disk. 

I opened GParted and formatted to a GPT, with 7 Partitions they were: 

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB     FAT32
   2:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows 8                78.6 GB     NTFS
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data Linux                    59.1 GB     EXT4
   4:                 Linux Swap SWAP                      8.6 GB     SWAP
   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Data                    338.2 GB     ExFAT
   6:                  Apple_HFS Mac HD                   79.9 GB     HFS+
   7:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine             47.9 GB     HFS+

The reason I didn't use OS X Disk Utility is because it likes to create Hybrid MBR/GPT disks. Not a problem if you don't mind having that, but for me I wanted a Pure GPT setup to run all OS via UEFI. 

First I installed Windows 8/7 I used a ISO image a restored it to a USB drive to make it install UEFI, I used this tool.

Then I installed Linux via USB drive using the same tool. When installing Linux you have to select 'Something Different' and set the swap to the created partition and put the boot loader on the EFI partition. 

After I installed OS X via Clover from a USB. 

Operating systems were installed this way to retain the Pure GPT. 

I know you said it would be a pain to do a format of your drive, but if you can do it, I would advise it to make your HDD GPT.

When I installed OS X from Clover I only needed 2 kexts which were FakeSMC.kext (mandatory for all hacks) and VoodooPS2Controller.kext (for my trackpad and keyboard). 

OS X would then boot without any other kexts, however I had to add more to get the functionality of battery, wifi, audio, ethernet maybe a few more. 

That is one of the advantages of Clover, its the easiest way to install OS X over Chameleon. 

You said you wanted a shared FAT32 partition, that only supports files up to 4GB, thats why I used ExFAT which all operating systems recognise and can read and write off. 

Also, why are you going to install Snow Leopard, I feel that Mountain Lion has the most compatibility so far. 

Sotirios Papakonstantinou

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

To convert the disk from MBR to GPT, you can go in Windows, right-click the Computer icon, select Manage. You see Computer Manager. Click on Disk Manager. Select the disk and right click to see the options. There is a "Convert to GPT", but I'm not sure if it will allow you to do it and if that will affect your Linux installation. Do it at your own risk... I would try to reinstall MacOS using different settings related to SATA.

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Well I once had dual boot Windows 7 and MacOS X 10.6 Snow Leopard vanilla (official, not distro). In order to make the MacOS X 10.6 install successfully and boot, I needed some specific kexts and a temporary MacOS X 10.5 Leopard installation to use the terminal. I created three paritions, one small for MacOS X 10.5 Leopard, one larger for MacOS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and the rest (larger) of the disk was reserved for Windows (initially formatted as FAT32) as it would be my primary OS. In your case you could include one more for Linux and a smaller for Linux swap, total 5 partitions. The MacOS X distro that works in almost every hardware, is Kalyway 10.5.2, so I started booting from an external DVD-RW and booted into Kalyway DVD. I used Disk Utility to format the disk as GUID and create the three partitions. First was Windows, so I could later delete the other two and expand it, should I didn't want MacOS anymore. It was formatted as FAT32, so Windows installer would later detect and use it. Second was MacOS Extended Journaled intended for Snow Leopard. The temporary MacOS Extended Journaled partition for Leopard was placed at the end, so later I could easily delete it and expand the Snow Leopard partition to fit all space. I then proceeded to install Kalyway 10.5.2 in the last partition. I didn't need to configure anything, it worked automatically as I was installing Linux instead of MacOS! Well done Kalyway, pity it is too difficult to upgrade it and you stay at 10.5.2  :(

Then (from Leopard) I formatted a USB flash drive as MacOS Extended Journaled and made it bootable (installed Chameleon), just in case. I used a Snow Leopard DMG to install Snow Leopard on the second partition. As expected the boot sector was changed, so I used the flash drive to boot into Leopard again. I then used DSDTSE to create a custom DSDT file that matched exactly my hardware and BIOS version, and Atom kernel and some other kexts (downloaded from http://www.osx86.net/). I followed a guide to install chameleon, the custom DSDT file and the kexts as needed using the terminal. After all steps were completed successfully, I could boot without the flash drive and use chameleon to go into Snow Leopard. When I was 100% sure I could use Snow Leopard without any problem, I deleted the Leopard partition and expanded the Snow Leopard partition to fit all space. I proceeded installing applications. Wireless network didn't work. Wired worked only if booting with the cable connected. If you removed the cable and connected it again, it wouldn't detect it. This issue was solved by installing official Realtek drivers from their site.

Then I installed Windows 7 in the first partition (after formatting it to NTFS from Windows Setup). At this point I could boot into Windows but not MacOS. One solution was to boot into Snow Leopard using the flash drive and then install Chameleon again. This way I would boot into MacOS and select Windows from Chameleon as needed. But I wanted Windows to be my primary OS, so I edited Windows bootloader to inculde a MacOS option instead. So I booted into Windows or selected MacOS from Windows bootloader as needed. I installed Macdrive so I could access the Mac partition from Windows 7 and I made a backup of the Atom kernel. Every time I did a combo upgrade in MacOS, I booted into Windows, restored the Atom kernel at the root of the Mac partition and I could boot in MacOS again wthout any issue having the latest version.

WARNING: Restoring the Atom kernel worked up to version 10.6.7. It didn't work after combo upgrade to 10.6.8 and I could fix my Snow Leopard installation! I gave up, deleted it and expended Windows partition to cover the whole disk. I didn't like to go through all this trouble again to reinstall Snow Leopard and all my applications. So be extra careful. Download and install manually the 10.6.7 combo upgrade. DON'T upgrade to 10.6.8 or you won't be able to boot again!

I hope that helps. :)

PS: In your case, since you don't want to reinstall Windows, I would try installing Snow Leopard in MBR mode. It is possible, but I don't know how, sorry... Just a thought, why don't you create a backup of the Windows partition (with Acronis or Clonezilla) and then format the disk in GUID mode and proceed as above? You should later be able to restore the Windows partition instead of reinstall Windows and use the DVD to make it boot into Windows (repair Windows). It could work and save you the trouble to reinstall everything in Windows :)

RobertoBenzi

RobertoBenzi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

First of all I would try to stay away from distributions, they install a load of unwanted/unneeded software. (obviously your choice though)
I have Quad-boot working on my Acer with Windows 8, Kubuntu 13.04, ML 10.8.4, & Mavericks 10.9.
The best way to get a working system is to reformat your whole drive and use a GPT and stay away from the MBR.
For me I use Clover which I find is far superior, does your system support (U)EFI? Because then you could install all your operating systems via UEFI (like me).

When I partitioned my HDD, I used GParted off of a Linux OS USB, to try and avoid my HDD becoming a Hybrid disk.

I opened GParted and formatted to a GPT, with 7 Partitions they were:

1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB     FAT32   2:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows 8                78.6 GB     NTFS   3:       Microsoft Basic Data Linux                    59.1 GB     EXT4   4:                 Linux Swap SWAP                      8.6 GB     SWAP   5:       Microsoft Basic Data Data                    338.2 GB     ExFAT   6:                  Apple_HFS Mac HD                   79.9 GB     HFS+   7:                  Apple_HFS Time Machine             47.9 GB     HFS+
The reason I didn't use OS X Disk Utility is because it likes to create Hybrid MBR/GPT disks. Not a problem if you don't mind having that, but for me I wanted a Pure GPT setup to run all OS via UEFI.

First I installed Windows 8/7 I used a ISO image a restored it to a USB drive to make it install UEFI, I used this tool.
Then I installed Linux via USB drive using the same tool. When installing Linux you have to select 'Something Different' and set the swap to the created partition and put the boot loader on the EFI partition.
After I installed OS X via Clover from a USB.

Operating systems were installed this way to retain the Pure GPT.
I know you said it would be a pain to do a format of your drive, but if you can do it, I would advise it to make your HDD GPT.

When I installed OS X from Clover I only needed 2 kexts which were FakeSMC.kext (mandatory for all hacks) and VoodooPS2Controller.kext (for my trackpad and keyboard).
OS X would then boot without any other kexts, however I had to add more to get the functionality of battery, wifi, audio, ethernet maybe a few more.
That is one of the advantages of Clover, its the easiest way to install OS X over Chameleon.

You said you wanted a shared FAT32 partition, that only supports files up to 4GB, thats why I used ExFAT which all operating systems recognise and can read and write off.

Also, why are you going to install Snow Leopard, I feel that Mountain Lion has the most compatibility so far.

First of all I'd like to thank you for the long and detailed post you wrote in order to help me, you have been very kind.
I'm sorry for replying so much time later, but after arranging things in a way to make them work, more or less, due to being very busy for RL problems I've gotten very little free time to dedicate to my little project.
Now seems like I'm gonna have some more so I'm back :)

I've used distribution initially because it seemed to me something more approachable being at the very beginning of the esploration of the Hackintosh world. Now that I've learnt some (very few, actually :P) concepts I will try to go with a clean install, keeping my fingers crossed and being ready to serve myself many mokas and cups of coffee :P

Then, I'm trying to install Snow Leopard because I think my Atom N270 don't support 64bit instructions and, for what I've read (can't quote the source, 'cause I don't remember) all versions after Snow Leopard are 64 bit only.
Furthermore that's the reason I think I can't use GPT, I've read around that only 64 bit of Windows7 works with GPT, is that wrong?

from http://msdn.microsof...e/gg463525.aspx Q. Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?     A. Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

Having a BIOS-based system, and using a 32-bit version of Windows7 (due to the inability of my N270 CPU to process 64-bit instructions) this mean that I can boot in Chameleon (maybe in it's own partition, or in the 200MB EFI partition) and from that partition I'll be able to boot Windows 7 32 bit, or I won't be able to boot Windows 7 32bit at all?

Using Clover too depends on being able to boot a GPT with EFI partition :(

WARNING: Restoring the Atom kernel worked up to version 10.6.7. It didn't work after combo upgrade to 10.6.8 and I could fix my Snow Leopard installation! I gave up, deleted it and expended Windows partition to cover the whole disk. I didn't like to go through all this trouble again to reinstall Snow Leopard and all my applications. So be extra careful. Download and install manually the 10.6.7 combo upgrade. DON'T upgrade to 10.6.8 or you won't be able to boot again!

I hope that helps.  :)

I really don't remember how, but I have been able to update to 10.6.8 I found a guide over the internet, but I don't remember where. It was about something like backing up some kext that would have got broken in the update. Dunno if it was due to a particular kernel in the disto I used or due to what (that's why I'm gonna try to do this with Vanilla this time, I wanna understand what I do and why things works/get broken :)

I'm cloning the whole drive with Clonezilla and as soon as it finishes I'm gonna try to reinstall all the OSes in a proper and clean way :)
Just need to get the answers about GPT/64-bit OSes before I get started :)

Once again, sorry for replying that later :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy