Found cause of freezes, need help with solution

7 posts in this topic

So, after running 10.8.4 with (Specs listed in sig) and freezefixapp (Which wasn't working.. Or so i thought!) here's the situation:

When running something that prevents system from sleeping (ie Torrent software) the computer will lock up at random intervals. Sometimes throwing a visible KP, othertimes just locking up completely. This also happens when you disable sleep/hibernate completely.

When this isn't running, system will hibernate, sleep and resume as normal. So bizarre, if anyone could shed some light on a possible solution it would be much appreciated. 2 weeks of re-installing and experimenting thus far has not helped.

P.S. I was trying to paste a log of the last kernel panic, but was not sure where i'd find it? I did try googling to no avail.

Cheers

*Edit* Also forgot to mention, for this build I am running DSDT-less (Although I do have the file on hand if it makes a difference [it froze anyway with it].. In E/E nullcpupowermanagement.kext is in there for what it's worth.

make SSDT with ssdtPRGen.sh in terminal

patch DSDT

patch AppleRTC if needed... likely

use Imac12,2 SMBIOS i use chameleon wizard

GeneratePStates and CStates should also work but check bios for Cx to be enabled.

check with others for kext rollback for 10.8.4 for Z68 boards

did u install the newest drivers for Gforce ? (not sure if needed or even available for 10.8.4)

check also AGPM.kext for a mod for your card device id

make SSDT with ssdtPRGen.sh in terminal

patch DSDT

patch AppleRTC if needed... likely

use Imac12,2 SMBIOS i use chameleon wizard

GeneratePStates and CStates should also work but check bios for Cx to be enabled.

check with others for kext rollback for 10.8.4 for Z68 boards

did u install the newest drivers for Gforce ? (not sure if needed or even available for 10.8.4)

check also AGPM.kext for a mod for your card device id

Thanks for reponse Latin much appreciated!

SSDT in terminal... how?

Patch DSDT (Not using one for now, is it necessary?)

Patch AppleRTC (Please point me in the right direction)

iMac 12,2 (Done)

Generate P and C states (done)

kext rollback.. which ones, specifically?

AGPM.. I tried this last time but didn't really help, still froze when I disabled sleep.

Problem solved!

For anyone keen to know read on (Not as obvious as you would think!)

The problem, was not in the GPU as I had though, but in the ethernet. A chap on osx86.net called Sauder55 posted about his random failings also when torrenting, and had suggested that in his particular application AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns, a checkbox on a common post-install utility program was causing the freezings. It's so inert, that you wouldnt even realise its a problem because it only really comes into light when you are torrenting.

The solution was to uninstall it, and to replace with Lnx2Mac's installer for RealtekRTL81xx, repair permissions and reboot. Well, I chanced upon this solution while surfing late last night ,on the verge of giving up.. AND IT WORKS!! 100% working system again. DSDT-free, sleep,wake, hibernate, its all fine!

The only thing I haven't downloaded is the CUDA drivers, because I'm scared to at this point as everything works fine. I have heard they are problematic in 10.8.4, but should I be installing them? I have freezefixapp running.

ahh i forgot to mention that RTGMac 206 gave me that issue also.. no wake after sleep... i used lnx2mac driver and all was good.

and the kext rollback i sugested was to go look.. as i dunno them all. im 10.6 and 10.7 .. i didnt bother much with 10.8

• Like 1

ahh i forgot to mention that RTGMac 206 gave me that issue also.. no wake after sleep... i used lnx2mac driver and all was good.

and the kext rollback i sugested was to go look.. as i dunno them all. im 10.6 and 10.7 .. i didnt bother much with 10.8

Ahh ok. Thanks for the heads up anyway, made me look for ssdtPRGen.sh which then lead to the eventual fix! Now... To work out whether to install CUDA or not :)