• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

edgedev

edgedev

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I've been wondering if there are any laptops that are out of the box ready for a Mac OSX install? (without them being Macs :whistle: )

Is there like some Acer, Asus, Toshiba, Samsung, Alienware/Dell build out there that will work by just a DSDT add-in or something? I'm not trying to shortcut the system that you guys have set forth, but as a way to save time and money on a pre-built system.

I have seen some places online that have managed to get older laptops to work with like Leopard and Snow Leopard.

TheEnthusiast

TheEnthusiast

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Well all systems need at least FakeSMC so there goes "out of the box ready."  :hysterical: . As far as laptops, I'll go on record and say no because there's always something needed. For example, touchpads, at least all I've seen so far, need a modified kext. Power management needs a kext or BIOS mod and SSDT. Audio needs VoodooHDA or patched AppleHDA for the laptop's codec. That's still not everything, but you should get the idea. It's a hackintosh meaning it's not supposed to be an easy alternative to a Mac. However, you'll be happy to know that a properly patched DSDT is a great asset and eliminates many modifications that would be necessary otherwise. 

Lejenk

Lejenk

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Hi, 

The Asus K52JE did a great job for me last year. I had everything working, but not without a DSDT, patched kexts etc...

Sadly this model is not available anymore.

In addition to the above, if you decide to buy a laptop to run OS X, do not buy a model with dual graphics, it will not work, so you will be forced to disable 1 card. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy