Crackling Sound With ALC 892 And SSE2

18 posts in this topic

Hi!

I'm having problems with the audio on my GA-Z87-HD3 (ALC 892) using VoodooHDA 2.8.4.

It's mostly noticeable when playing sound at a higher volume.

The SSE2 option on the VoodooHDA preference pane doesn't help at all.

Everything other than that work just fine with the Voodoo driver, front and rear ports, etc.

If I understood correctly, there is also some patched AppleHDA that should work with ALC 892.

Does it work with Mavericks DP2? How does this work? I haven't found any good instructions on this.

Since I couldn't find the 892 driver elsewhere, I've tried with the ML edition of ##### (magic proprietary tool that automagically installs {censored}) as there is an option to install the 892 driver, however that didn't works as there were no audio devices listed at all.

I would love any help with this and more importantly any info on how these audio drivers actually work on OS X.

EDIT: Tried setting iGain to 0 in the Info.plist inside VoodooHDA.kext. That didn't do anything...

Also tried Force HPET, dropping the frequency to 44100 Hz

I'm not sure if you did this already, but if you are using a patched applehda you need either hdaenabler.kext or a properly edited dsdt. Also make sure there isn't any hdadisabler.kext left over from the voodoohda installation. The newest voodoohda also installs that kext to keep voodoohda from conflicting with applehda. I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

lahdekorpi... test my Applehda-kext with this enabler in my attachment please.

copy both File in S/L/E in your System

i work here with Z77 Intel-Chipset-MSI-board and work good.

Greetings Pinarek

I tried that but there is no sound.

The kext is loaded properly and I do get the list of the outputs, but none of those produce any sound.

Edit:

Just booted to Ubuntu to do a dump of the codecs: http://pastebin.com/LQZx1uCt

lahdekorpi... test my Applehda-kext with this enabler in my attachment please.

copy both File in S/L/E in your System

i work here with Z77 Intel-Chipset-MSI-board and work good.

Greetings Pinarek

Thank You so much Pinarek!

It worked! I just had to cut the power to the whole motherboard before it did...

However, now I can't use the headphones jack and the green output on the back at the same time.

If I plug my headphones in, that output disappears and the headphones one appears. And viceversa.

With VoodooHDA I could use them both at the same time, or just switch the main output as I liked without having to unplug any cables.

Ideas?

hello lahdekorpi

The green to the output is indeed the standart output for two speakers.
If you connects 2 speakers there, but the connector is used, where do you want to connect headphones?
Or you still have audio outputs connected to the front of the PC? I did not!

For me it is important that I can connect two normal speakers and sounds out there.

Greeting Pinarek

Translatet with Google Translater from english to german

I'm using the "front" port of my case (connected to the motherboard) where I connect my headphones.

My speakers are connected in the back all of the time.

I would like to have the headphones connected at all times. Now if I plug them in, the speakers stop working.

With VoodooHDA I can use both at the same time...

I would like to have the headphones connected at all times. Now if I plug them in, the speakers stop working.

With VoodooHDA I can use both at the same time...

I have some knowledge of the AppleHDA.kext  pinarek  posted and worked for you.  AppleHDA.kext is configured to mute the speakers when the headphone is plugged in.  If you are interested, the pathmap can be edited to remove the headphone detect/speaker mute feature.  Because the 892 has only 2 input amps, you will lose Line In (Blue port).  After the edit, Headphones and Speakers both show in preferences.  To select both, set up a Multi-Output device in Audio MIDI Setup.  

• Like 1

I have some knowledge of the AppleHDA.kext  pinarek  posted and worked for you.  AppleHDA.kext is configured to mute the speakers when the headphone is plugged in.  If you are interested, the pathmap can be edited to remove the headphone detect/speaker mute feature.  Because the 892 has only 2 input amps, you will lose Line In (Blue port).  After the edit, Headphones and Speakers both show in preferences.  To select both, set up a Multi-Output device in Audio MIDI Setup.  

This kext has all the xml files packed as zlib, so I can't edit this directly?

See toleda/audio_ALCInjection Select file/View Raw/Download

Files

1. ML-Customizing the Realtek ALC AppleHDA, see Procedures/3. Manual Speaker and Headphone Selection 

2. zlib_terminal.zip

The platforms.xml in this modified AppleHDA is different than the one of the PDF instructions.

Managed to add a new "Internal Speakers" output that doesn't work and the "Headphones" one outputs for both, speakers and headphones at the same time.

The platforms.xml in this modified AppleHDA is different than the one of the PDF instructions.

Managed to add a new "Internal Speakers" output that doesn't work and the "Headphones" one outputs for both, speakers and headphones at the same time.

Pinarek did not mention that he posted the ML Alpha AppleHDA.kext.  For the current Realtek ALC892 AppleHDA.kext see Mountain Lion Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio - OSx86 10.8 (Mountain Lion) - InsanelyMac Forum

Platforms.xml/Pathmaps/Item 10/PathMapID: 892. What is different?

Platforms.xml after the edits:

I am pleased with the kexts that you can start and what you can indeed lahdekorpi

some help with his problem, to connect with the headset at the same time and 2 speakers to it.

A suggestion, credit the source of the kexts you attach.  Post #7 illustrates the problem of replying to a kext support question when you don't know the answer. 

post-618506-0-79835000-1375029835_thumb.png

• Like 2

Pinarek did not mention that he posted the ML Alpha AppleHDA.kext.  For the current Realtek ALC892 AppleHDA.kext see Mountain Lion Realtek ALC AppleHDA Audio - OSx86 10.8 (Mountain Lion) - InsanelyMac Forum

Platforms.xml/Pathmaps/Item 10/PathMapID: 892. What is different?

Platforms.xml after the edits:

A suggestion, credit the source of the kexts you attach.  Post #7 illustrates the problem of replying to a kext support question when you don't know the answer. 

Thanks!

Now I've got a proper Platforms.xml.zlib file. 

I tried patching from scratch with your instructions.

Since the Mavericks version of AppleHDA couldn't be directly binary patched, I got a clean Mountain Lion one from my MacBook and patched that manually.

All looked good until I tried to produce any sound, nothing comes out. I've seen this same problem before, where the whole sound card would stop working even after reboots or in Ubuntu.

Pulling the power cord out worked on those cases, but not anymore.

Well, I thought that maybe the patched file just didn't work and I restored the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts that previously worked (I copied them before trying anything), fixed permissions, rebuild caches, rebooted and they have the same problem.

Outputs are listed ok, headphones / internal switches automatically when plugged in (though, it takes for like 5 seconds in the preference pane to update. It just shows a lot of "Unknown" outputs for a second while switching).

But no, none of those output any sound.

Tried booting to Ubuntu, there everything works just fine.

Am I missing something?

I do keep getting these:

28.7.2013 23.09.33,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 6064
28.7.2013 23.09.33,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 6148
28.7.2013 23.09.33,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in IOHDAStream at line 401

Also codeaudiod crashes:

Crashed Thread:  11  com.apple.audio.IOThread.server

Exception Type:  EXC_ARITHMETIC (SIGFPE)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_DIV (divide by zero)

IOReg:

Mac Pro.zip (584 KB)

https://mega.co.nz/#!dIRH1bgY!NgRkoTACcGUO8gNb-h-WiBiu8-5ZaF38GYmXP6QIqlg

Edited by lahdekorpi

Well, I thought that maybe the patched file just didn't work and I restored the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler kexts that previously worked (I copied them before trying anything), fixed permissions, rebuild caches, rebooted and they have the same problem.

Outputs are listed ok, headphones / internal switches automatically when plugged in (though, it takes for like 5 seconds in the preference pane to update. It just shows a lot of "Unknown" outputs for a second while switching).

If you need a native kext, install the combo update.  Regarding the no sound problem, if the backup doesn't work any more, something else is broken.  A backup restore or a fresh install is suggested.  Reply with your edited Platforms.xml.

• Like 1

If you need a native kext, install the combo update.  Regarding the no sound problem, if the backup doesn't work any more, something else is broken.  A backup restore or a fresh install is suggested.  Reply with your edited Platforms.xml.

I've saved the native kext of Mavericks DP4 and I have the clean one of Mountain Lion. Attached is the edited Platforms.xml.

I was just wondering what else could I have broken since the only two files I have touched are the HDAEnabler1.kext and AppleHDA.kext, as well as used Kex Wizard to repair permissions.

Any other conf files or caches I should remove?

Edit:

Tried removing both files and installing VoodooHDA, that works just fine. Tried going back to the original files pinarek posted and they don't.

iTunes won't even start playing anything until I change the output to some other sound card or Air Play.

I guess I'll have to wait and use VoodooHDA until someone figures out how to patch the AppleHDA in Mavericks for 892...

Platforms.xml

post-1187604-0-64193000-1375082777_thumb.png

Edited by lahdekorpi

Tried going back to the original files pinarek posted and they don't.

iTunes won't even start playing anything until I change the output to some other sound card or Air Play.

AppleHDA.kext only allows 4 audio output devices.  Since you added headphones, you have to delete one of the following (pdf updated).:

Item 4: Orange

Item 5: Black

or Item 6: SPDIF out

pdf updated.

Edit Platforms. xml, save, install, restart.

What did you do with/to HDAEnabler1.kext?

This is not a Mavericks issue.  

• Like 1

AppleHDA.kext only allows 4 audio output devices.  Since you added headphones, you have to delete one of the following (pdf updated).:

Item 4: Orange

Item 5: Black

or Item 6: SPDIF out

pdf updated.

Edit Platforms. xml, save, install, restart.

What did you do with/to HDAEnabler1.kext?

This is not a Mavericks issue.  

Thanks, just forgot to remove one before...

I did nothing to HDAEnabler1.kext, I just took the one from the pinarek's zip as is.

Now that part works, the input is no longer changing automatically when plugging in. However, sound is still not working.

Also, when changing volume via keyboard, there's a lot of delay. iTunes won't play at all.

The only thing I did was:

remove HDADisabler and VoodooHDA,

reboot with -f,

install both AppleHDA and HDAEnabler1.kext as is from the zip provided by pinarek,

repair permissions and rebuild cache,

reboot with -f

This worked before, now it doesn't. Even restored from a backup (where VoodooHDA was installed) and am having the same problem. Weird...

Are there any other caches or config files I could try removing?

EDIT: Full size screenshot: http://pic.useful.fi/21ed425105cbf4c83c147d0fb01f090d.png

Just for fun, tried installing the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler1 with MB 5.4.1.

The result is the same, no sound and lots of:

2.8.2013 18.09.05,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 6064
2.8.2013 18.09.05,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 6148
2.8.2013 18.09.05,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in IOHDAStream at line 401

post-1187604-0-62162500-1375455105_thumb.png

Edited by lahdekorpi

This worked before, now it doesn't. Even restored from a backup (where VoodooHDA was installed) and am having the same problem. Weird...

Are there any other caches or config files I could try removing?

Just for fun, tried installing the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler1 with MB 5.4.1.

The result is the same, no sound and lots of:

2.8.2013 18.09.05,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 6064
2.8.2013 18.09.05,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDAController at line 6148
2.8.2013 18.09.05,000 kernel[0]: Sound assertion in IOHDAStream at line 401

Something is damaged or something is present that should not be.  Suggest a clean install for audio testing.  Get back to working audio with AppleHDA.kext.  Attach your edited Platforms.xml before installing.

• 2 months later...