Asus Z87 Gryphon - i5 4670k - NVidia 470 - OS X 10.9

majusss

20 posts in this topic

I stuck with my motherboard at a very strange point... The patched BIOS is installed and I took the Mavericks installer from this tutorial. And know I tried several Boot flags such as: GraphicsEnabler, UID, npci. But the Boot just crashs or stuck at this point, also tried different USB ports. Iam booting from the GTX 470 with DVI. I would be so glad for some help with this problem.

Thank you guys!

post-1187606-0-09336700-1372837962_thumb.jpg

I also tried -v and -x in every combination. Ok i will try this in a few minutes. Thank you!

Update: So the GFX is out but absolutely nothing changed... still stuck at the same point -.- so depressing

Hello you're missing dart=0 ! - Devout Try: -v -f GraphicsEnabler=No dart=0 PCIRootUID=0

Hey thanks for that but it didn't booted -.- still the same error

I have both the asus z87 Expert and the Deluxe/Dual and to get past that for me, I have to disable the igpu multi monitor in the bios otherwise it hangs at that point.

I can't disable this function in the EFI

In the bios are you in the advanced interface for the bios? Across the top in the advanced bios interface is a category called advanced and then system agent confiuration and then graphics. That is where you can disable it. You set the primary to pcie and the disable the igpu multimonitor. I just downloaded the manual for your motherboard and it should be there.

In the bios are you in the advanced interface for the bios? Across the top in the advanced bios interface is a category called advanced and then system agent confiuration and then graphics. That is where you can disable it. You set the primary to pcie and the disable the igpu multimonitor. I just downloaded the manual for your motherboard and it should be there.

I  just searched for this option but it isn't there...

In the manual for the motherboard on pages 3-31 amd 3-32 it shows the option. This is in the advanced interface that you enter from the E-Z interface that is discussed on page 3-2 in the manual. The option is supposed to be there.

In the manual for the motherboard on pages 3-31 amd 3-32 it shows the option. This is in the advanced interface that you enter from the E-Z interface that is discussed on page 3-2 in the manual. The option is supposed to be there.

This is really strange because I see the option in the manual but it isn't there in the BIOS o.O

It should look like this. Turning it off disables your internal Intel HD 4600 and you will have the dedicated Nvidia only, which is usually enough. 

You CPU does not support VT-d by the way, dart=0 won't have any effect here.

• Like 1

It should look like this. Turning it off disables your internal Intel HD 4600 and you will have the dedicated Nvidia only, which is usually enough. 

You CPU does not support VT-d by the way, dart=0 won't have any effect here.

Omg in german the option have a totally different name... it isn't like "iGPU Multi-Monitor" its just "iGPU - enabled/disabled" and yes it is disabled all the time. 

Also set the primary display to pcie and have GraphicsEnabler=no. I am watching your topic as it took a while before I finally found the settings and install for  the the Asus boards up and running but now consistent in running mavericks and installing. Did not need a patched bios and settings in bios were  the graphics settings mentioned. Will continue to follow.

Thanks to k3enny for posting the bios page. Much clearer than my description and since the German is different.

Also set the primary display to pcie and have GraphicsEnabler=no. I am watching your topic as it took a while before I finally found the settings and install for  the the Asus boards up and running but now consistent in running mavericks and installing. Did not need a patched bios and settings in bios were  the graphics settings mentioned. Will continue to follow.

Thanks to k3enny for posting the bios page. Much clearer than my description and since the German is different.

Now I gained some hope again! Thanks for your help.

So this is my actual status:

- Patched BIOS because without patched PM I didn't got into the bootloader

- Used this Mavericks Installer

- tried Bootflags: "-f -x -v -GraphicsEnabler=No -npci0x3000"

- Also deactivated the iGPU COMPLETELY

Still stuck after the Bluetooth... see first post.

I think I will just tell you what I did. It was very much trial and error. I only have everyone else on the forums to thank for my success. I pulled from all sources to get here. None was my brilliance or abilities other than to try different things.

In the regular Asus bios I just loaded optimized settings and under the graphic set the pcie as initial and the multi monitor disabled.

First I created my usb installer stick as per the post here on the installation mavericks forum: “10.9 Mavericks Simple Vanilla Hackintosh Install Guide” up through step 10. HOWEVER, I formatted the usb stick in the options as mbr NOT guid as the Asus boards will not boot guid at this time. Still formatted Mac OS Extended journaled.

I installed chameleon 2248 to the usb stick. As to not being sure that that would boot haswell at the time, I deleted the “boot” from the root of the drive and installed chimera 2.1.1 onto the stick.

I then copied my own previous EXTRA folder from my mountain lion hard drive onto the usb drive.

As I had to be able install Mavericks to  a mbr hard drive,  I downloaded the mavericks mbr patch from osx86.net at http://www.osx86.net/view/3958-mavericks_mbr_patch.html . . Install the patch to the usb drive.

I then booted up from the usb drive –v, –f, graphicsenabler=no, npci=2000 I got to the install window and passed the dreaded stall at the Bluetooth line. There is a stall on a gray screen but wait it out as the window finally should show up. Under disk utility I had to format the installation hard drive under options as mbr with macintosh os journaled as the format choice as again the asus board will not boot the guid drive. This is why the mbr patch is so important. Run the install and when done, again boot from the usb drive and choose the mac install hard drive under chameleon and it should take you to the mavericks setup. I then installed chameleon 2248 to the hard drive and then chimera 2.1.1 , not sure if you need the chimera but that is what I did. I copied over my extra file to the hard drive. As long as the fake.smc  and nullpowermanagement kexts are in the extra/extensions folder, that will be fine. Otherwise, copy the ones from the vanilla install to the S/L/E folder before rebooting.

Take a deep breath before trying and hope I explained this OK. I have the Ethernet , not wi-fi,  working as well as the sound on the board. If this works for you I will continue so you can get these up as well. First hope this works and again will follow and try to get through snags if they occur.

update info if using a 500 series nvidia card:  

Today, July 13, I wanted to test this again to make sure it all works as I wrote. I used my Asus Z87 Expert board and threw in my 580 nvidia card which I had not used before as I had 680 and 690 nvidia cards in my systems. Anyway it boots fine until it got to the gray screen before the mavericks installation window appears. At this point, the screen goes black. I then actually used GraphicsEnabler=yes and the 580 card booted fine into Mavericks installation. It installs as stated above and the GraphicsEnabler=yes has to be used when booting up into Mavericks. Again this is only with my nvidia 580 card. I also have an extra  560 nvidia graphics card and had the same experience with it. I do not know if a 400 series nvidia card acts this way but did want to update this as I am using the 680 and the 690 cards in my system. Also I put the 580 into my Asus Z87 Deluxe/Dual motherboard and again had to have GraphicsEnabler=yes for the nvidia 580 card to boot. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I will just tell you what I did. It was very much trial and error. I only have everyone else on the forums to thank for my success. I pulled from all sources to get here. None was my brilliance or abilities other than to try different things.

In the regular Asus bios I just loaded optimized settings and under the graphic set the pcie as initial and the multi monitor disabled.

First I created my usb installer stick as per the post here on the installation mavericks forum: “10.9 Mavericks Simple Vanilla Hackintosh Install Guide” up through step 10. HOWEVER, I formatted the usb stick in the options as mbr NOT guid as the Asus boards will not boot guid at this time. Still formatted Mac OS Extended journaled.

I installed chameleon 2248 to the usb stick. As to not being sure that that would boot haswell at the time, I deleted the “boot” from the root of the drive and installed chimera 2.1.1 onto the stick.

I then copied my own previous EXTRA folder from my mountain lion hard drive onto the usb drive.

As I had to be able install Mavericks to  a mbr hard drive,  I downloaded the mavericks mbr patch from osx86.net at http://www.osx86.net/view/3958-mavericks_mbr_patch.html . . Install the patch to the usb drive.

I then booted up from the usb drive –v, –f, graphicsenabler=no, npci=2000 I got to the install window and passed the dreaded stall at the Bluetooth line. There is a stall on a gray screen but wait it out as the window finally should show up. Under disk utility I had to format the installation hard drive under options as mbr with macintosh os journaled as the format choice as again the asus board will not boot the guid drive. This is why the mbr patch is so important. Run the install and when done, again boot from the usb drive and choose the mac install hard drive under chameleon and it should take you to the mavericks setup. I then installed chameleon 2248 to the hard drive and then chimera 2.1.1 , not sure if you need the chimera but that is what I did. I copied over my extra file to the hard drive. As long as the fake.smc  and nullpowermanagement kexts are in the extra/extensions folder, that will be fine. Otherwise, copy the ones from the vanilla install to the S/L/E folder before rebooting.

Take a deep breath before trying and hope I explained this OK. I have the Ethernet , not wi-fi,  working as well as the sound on the board. If this works for you I will continue so you can get these up as well. First hope this works and again will follow and try to get through snags if they occur.

update info if using a 500 series nvidia card:  

Today, July 13, I wanted to test this again to make sure it all works as I wrote. I used my Asus Z87 Expert board and threw in my 580 nvidia card which I had not used before as I had 680 and 690 nvidia cards in my systems. Anyway it boots fine until it got to the gray screen before the mavericks installation window appears. At this point, the screen goes black. I then actually used GraphicsEnabler=yes and the 580 card booted fine into Mavericks installation. It installs as stated above and the GraphicsEnabler=yes has to be used when booting up into Mavericks. Again this is only with my nvidia 580 card. I also have an extra  560 nvidia graphics card and had the same experience with it. I do not know if a 400 series nvidia card acts this way but did want to update this as I am using the 680 and the 690 cards in my system. Also I put the 580 into my Asus Z87 Deluxe/Dual motherboard and again had to have GraphicsEnabler=yes for the nvidia 580 card to boot. 

I thank you so much for this extended guide! GraphicsEnabler=yes (this point is really really strange... I mean you enable the disabled iGPU?! this doesnt make any sense at all. I really want to know the reason why this works :) ) got me into the installation! Know I need to wait for my HDD... Maybe I will post some postinstall problems.

Remove the Nvidia drivers from SLE on the USB install stick and it will boot right it. What you are seeing is Mac hanging on the Card. Post install you can reinstall the drivers. This is a very common issue for your GPU. 

• Like 1