News! Pandora's Box Beta2 is OUT

ErmaC

30 posts in this topic

7a388860925831127f9fc17fa179b453.png

Pandora's Box beta2

Hand-USB.png

Pandora's Box is a new Tool that can be used to create your own installer for Lion 10.7, Mountain Lion 10.8 and newly arrived Mavericks 10.9 from either the retail app or its .dmg image file.

pandora.jpg

Also included is a post-installation utility to apply additional fixes after installing or updating OS X.

These features are great, but you will see Pandora's Boxbeta2 also adds some additional functionality to the installation process. Since much of the configuration and customization can be done during the OS X installation process, once completed, you can immediate boot into your newly working OS X install without any additional setup.

Pandora's Boxbeta2 is available for download in our Downloads Section

Here is the complete change log from Beta1:

• Newly designed interface with preference and settings
  • Added HTML Credits System integrated directly into Pandora
  • Added the Help manual (integrated in OS X)
  • Added Sparkle Software (self Update of Pandora's Box)
  • Added support for OS X 10.9 Mavericks DP1
  • Added check for missing MBR patch (to continue in GUID)
  • Fixed bugs with bootloader in post-install
  • Fixed bugs with creating the Recovery HD partition
  • Fixed bug with missing AppleIntelE1000.kext installation
  • Added kernel flags and Intel HD4000 support to the bootloader options
  • Added modules for Enoch bootloader
  • Enlarged Laptop section, with two different kexts for battery support, LegacyAGPM.kext for better power management of Nvidia cards (different for Lion and ML).
  • AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext patch, available during installation
  • Added log system (during installation and post-installation), with "notifications" in ML and Mavericks.
  • Added RTC patch for Mavericks
  • Added GenericUSBXHCI.kext, for Lion, ML and new build for Mavericks
  • Added AppleATIATA.kext (ATI PATA and SATA controllers)
  • Switch from Trim patches to Trim Enabler.app for non-Apple SSD
  • Added latest HWmonitor stuff from kozlek project (FakeSMC.kext, Plugins and HWmonitor.app)
  • Added Rotate Daemon (fix for AMD7000 cards)
  • Added OpenCL patches for Lion and ML in differents cards/OS X versions
  • Added Intel HD4000-HD3000 support on 6/7 Series chipset
  • Added Desktop version of LegacyAGPM.kext for better power management of Nvidia cards (different for Lion and ML).
  • Added Repair permission and rebuild caches on others Volumes
  • Added Backup Hackintosh files function
  • Improve stability on each OS X versions when creating the Pandora System Options (on the fly).
  • Deleted the ACPI folders, now the .aml tables can leave into InsanelyBox directly.
  • Other minor bug fixes
Watch and Participate to the Beta2 Testing here: Pandora's Box (Beta 2 Testing)

InsanelyMac Staff

Click here to view the article

• Like 10

We have MyHack, KakeWalk, not to mention the tools created by the guys you hate, why the hell do we need another hackintosh install tool???

To paraphrase your message, we have windows, linux, bsd, hpux, solaris... why the heck do we need osx operating system.

• Like 14

I'm with TommyDaB1g.  I'll call this PandoraBeast from now on.

Hi mnfesq,

IMHO you and TommyDaB1g are missing the point of Pandora's Box due to not fully understanding that the ethos of IM and its hardworking contributers is totally different from that of the T***M** forum "drivers"........IM is about "giving free and learning for free from one to another, while having fun doing so because of freedom of expression with politeness, and invariably acknowledging and using the work of others with permission for the free benefit of all"....... :thumbsup_anim:

The description of Pandora's Box encapsulates this ethos (see red highlighted text):

Pandora's Box is a new Tool that can be used to create your own installer for Lion 10.7, Mountain Lion 10.8 and newly arrived Mavericks 10.9 from either the retail app or its .dmg image file.

Pandora's Box will hopefully encourage its new users, in the process of creating their own specific installer, to want to learn and understand what Pandora's Box does and how it does it......then be able and wishing to contribute back to IM......  ;)

Cheers

verdant

• Like 13

Hi mnfesq,

IMHO you and TommyDaB1g are missing the point of Pandora's Box due to not fully understanding that the ethos of IM and its hardworking contributers is totally different from that of the T***M** forum "drivers"........IM is about "giving free and learning for free from one to another, while having fun doing so because of freedom of expression with politeness, and invariably acknowledging and using the work of others with permission for the free benefit of all"....... :thumbsup_anim:

The description of Pandora's Box encapsulates this ethos (see red highlighted text):

Pandora's Box is a new Tool that can be used to create your own installer for Lion 10.7, Mountain Lion 10.8 and newly arrived Mavericks 10.9 from either the retail app or its .dmg image file.

Pandora's Box will hopefully encourage its new users, in the process of creating their own specific installer, to want to learn and understand what Pandora's Box does and how it does it......then be able and wishing to contribute back to IM......  ;)

Cheers

verdant

I certainly mean no disrespect for the intelligence and hard work of the creators but, in my humble opinion, the side-effect of tools like these is that it makes it possible to install OS X on a PC with little or no knowledge of how OS X works and what changes need to be made to make it operate properly on a PC.  For me, OSx86 has always been about learning, not having cool toys.  I've said before that if I spent half the time I spend on OSx86 working, I could have bought 3 MacBookPros by now.  For app developers that want the experience of combining all the tools necessary to install OS X on a PC into a single app, I respect their intentions but do not like the adverse effects this causes.  Back in the early 2000's, I used to be a video ripper and had my own release group.  I ripped hundreds of videos using software and methods that took me months to develop.  Now, any fool can rip a video by pressing one or two buttons on a free app and make as good, if not better, rips than I used to make.  I don't oppose progress but now video ripping is only really understood by the people that make the apps, not the people who rip the videos.  Whenever we make things easier for people, with the best of intentions, we take away their need to learn.  I guess it's inevitable but I'm an old guy so I can gripe about it if I want to.  In the meantime, I will continue to install OS X manually and will continue to help people on this and other forums but only if I don't have to spoon-feed them and substitute my knowledge and experience for theirs.

• Like 3

I would like to add, the difference with Pandora, if you want to learn, you can. It's open source, you just have to make an effort to find the files.

Now, i agree, making it easy for the newbies is not the best idea, they will not learn anything, because all they need is provided. 

But look at it from another angle. Most people trying to install OS X will end up here, on IM, seeking for an answer. How would you like to answer the same questions day in, day out? 

But this is not the main reason Pandora has been created. It is there to promote various sollutions, that have been contributed to the community, and give credit where it belongs. 

"It's just another tool" No! It depends on your point of view.

I'm with TommyDaB1g.  I'll call this PandoraBeast from now on.

Shame on you.

• Like 1

I would like to add, the difference with Pandora, if you want to learn, you can. It's open source, you just have to make an effort to find the files.

Now, i agree, making it easy for the newbies is not the best idea, they will not learn anything, because all they need is provided. 

But look at it from another angle. Most people trying to install OS X will end up here, on IM, seeking for an answer. How would you like to answer the same questions day in, day out? 

But this is not the main reason Pandora has been created. It is there to promote various sollutions, that have been contributed to the community, and give credit where it belongs. 

"It's just another tool" No! It depends on your point of view.

Shame on you.

Well, at least I don't fear being permanently banned here.

I certainly mean no disrespect for the intelligence and hard work of the creators but, in my humble opinion, the side-effect of tools like these is that it makes it possible to install OS X on a PC with little or no knowledge of how OS X works and what changes need to be made to make it operate properly on a PC.  For me, OSx86 has always been about learning, not having cool toys.  I've said before that if I spent half the time I spend on OSx86 working, I could have bought 3 MacBookPros by now.  For app developers that want the experience of combining all the tools necessary to install OS X on a PC into a single app, I respect their intentions but do not like the adverse effects this causes.  Back in the early 2000's, I used to be a video ripper and had my own release group.  I ripped hundreds of videos using software and methods that took me months to develop.  Now, any fool can rip a video by pressing one or two buttons on a free app and make as good, if not better, rips than I used to make.  I don't oppose progress but now video ripping is only really understood by the people that make the apps, not the people who rip the videos.  Whenever we make things easier for people, with the best of intentions, we take away their need to learn.  I guess it's inevitable but I'm an old guy so I can gripe about it if I want to.  In the meantime, I will continue to install OS X manually and will continue to help people on this and other forums but only if I don't have to spoon-feed them and substitute my knowledge and experience for theirs.

There are fewer and fewer doers and more and more consumers of what doers do.  Eventually, this will hit the critical point when there won't be enough doers and consumers will just have to make do.

• Like 2

what does  post installation do? i was on Mbeast and chimera until i found out this and got so excited to see all these star ratings. so i downloaded and installed hoping to fix my OpenCL issue with my gtx 780 that doesnt seem to be enabled. i dont know what happened but now i cant see the whole boot screen. i get a black screen and bang, am on the desktop. what can i do to enable OpenCL on GTX 780 3gb for mac?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a silly question.

My hackintosh is aging and planning to buy a new mother board and a brand new CPU.

Thanks for genius people like you guys to build such a great tool.

Can anyone kindly suggest a configuration works well with Pandora's box ? Fairly good mother board, top line i7 CPU, fairly good gpu.

Any input is welcome.

Sounds like a silly question.

My hackintosh is aging and planning to buy a new mother board and a brand new CPU.

Thanks for genius people like you guys to build such a great tool.

Can anyone kindly suggest a configuration works well with Pandora's box ? Fairly good mother board, top line i7 CPU, fairly good gpu.

Any input is welcome.

If you mean a good and easy to set up build, try these parts:

- Core i7 3770K (if no over clock needed, take the 3770 not K: it has the advantage of VT-D, but i don't know OSX issues with it are fixed if you want to use the feature);

- Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H (if no over clock needed, take the H77 version);

- EVGA GTX 670;

- The mobo has four RAM slots, max it out!

- If you need wi-fi, go for a TP-Link WDN-4800;

- Take the biggest and baddest screen you can afford; use one which has DVI-D and HDMI connectors - VGA is likely to fail you;

- Any Corsair (my choice) or OCZ PS 500W+

- If you get a HDMI monitor with built-in audio, you'll have to study how to get it working, but you won't need external speakers;

- A Logitech C920: it's pure joy with FaceTime.

That's it! Good luck!

P.S.: and it's indeed way off-topic. I suggest a local mod move this to another place (and post the link here so we find it).

Great tool, thanks for this.  I was finally able to get an upgrade to 10.8.4 working using v2 Pandora's box post install - I'm doing a build on a Sager custom "gaming" notebook - for portable/travelling audio/logic pro work station (I'm a film/tv composer).  This is a beast - 6 core i7 3.5 ghz with 32gb ram installed 3 ssds for samples, etc.  

I could use some HELP post-install as I'm relatively green at hacking, and trying to sort out video issues.  The card is an Nvda GT`X 770m with 3gb ram.  When I booted into the native 10.8.4 drivers after upgrading from 10.8.3, I can ONLY get video from the attached DVI output on the main board to an external monitor.  I had almost given up, but thanks to the Pandora's box option to "remove the nvda kexts", I was back to at least seeing the internal display again, but of course the card is not fully supported, only shows 7mb ram and acceleration, etc. broken.  

BUT the interal display is properly "seen" and funcioning  (it was completely BLACK with the native 10.8.4 Nvdia kexts installed). 

The only way I was able to get a OSX86 install to work on this motherboard, which is a "custom" sager intel board (with very little bios control over the hardware) was to use iAtkos ML 10.8.3  UEFI Clover boot install.  So now, I'm hoping I can get the full nvida support via kext editing... or proper injection? -  (as best I can understand) Clover kind of hijacks the Chameleon boot loader part of started up and is not editable..??  Any expert ideas appreciated! Also implied in this question are how to get the proper addressing to the Video Outputs of the machine as well for you EXPERT GENIUSes here   thanks!!

I can try manually adding back nvdia kexts one by one.  Of course the IDEAL situation would be to have the card work and addressing BOTH the internal display on the Sager Notebook, and the external DVI and HDMI outputs wired in..

Ive already fixed networking (via a new card) and USB/PS2 stuff, batter level, and (I think) sleep/wake.

Sager Notebook   OSX 10.8.4 Atheros wlan, Nvda GTX 770M 3gb 32GG ram installed   i7-3970X  

If this notebook uses nVidia optimus, or other dual graphics system, you're out of luck, unless you manage to disable the dedicated graphics - the nVidia - in the BIOS and use the integrated graphics only. If it has InsydeH2O or some other locked BIOS besides dual graphics, don't even try it: bear in mind that notebook support in OSX86 is rather limited, and you must always research if your laptop is one of the very few that will satisfactorily work before starting your OSX86 project.

If the notebook has no integrated graphics - such as some Alienware Sandy-E based notebooks, perhaps there's hope: check it out!

All the best!

PS.: I overlooked the CPU model of your laptop, since my browser rendered it in tiny letters, don't know why. It has indeed no Intel HD integrated graphics, since it's a Sandy-E machine. Good! Is it SLI? If it is, you must turn SLI off in the BIOS, otherwise no dice.

• Like 1