ML on a Asus Z87 Haswell Build

Gus93

59 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So I hope this is an appropriate place to post the following and that I don't {censored} anyone off by doing so. But, I recently put together a PC (over the past few weeks) featuring the brand new Haswell shenanigans (I'll list the build shortly). Anyway, I would love to get OSX up and running on this baby, but am by no means an expert. Now, before you get mad and tell me to just wait patiently for others to figure it out, here me out. I have been reading and reading and reading all about creating a Hackintosh, but am brand new to the scene. Granted, I have some computer savvy, I work for my university's tech support, etc... (also I built the damned thing which must count for something.) Anyway, I am here to be a testing guinea pig. I plan to dive into this fully this weekend, but am trying to amass as much advice and documentation as I can before hand. I will try to keep this updated as I go through the whole process of trying to make things work, but I am confident that I am going to need help and hopefully in return I will help to blaze the trail for others. So at this point, any tips, points, and bewares are welcome! Here is my build:

CPU: Intel i7 4770K

Mobo: Asus z87-Deluxe

GPU: Asus GTX660 ti

PSU: Corsair 600Wm

HDD: Some 500Gb drive that I had laying around

Ram: 2x4Gb corsair vengeance

Not sure if I am leaving out any important information there, but I think that's it! I've attached the patched BIOS file I have acquired for my board.

EDIT: I am not allowed to "upload this kind of file"... But I have one is what matters I guess. And if anyone wants it or needs it credit for the creation goes to CodeRush.

Update: This in from user gaspimp:

" myself and the user "VonDutch" on the hardocp forums discovered that all Asus Z87 boards have a UEFI firmware bug which prevents them from booting GPT partitioned disks. Specifically - GPT partitioned disks without a UEFI bootloader but WITH an EFI partition. All Mac OS Install USB sticks work this way, and also function the same when installed. Thus, it is impossible to boot your hackintosh install or an installer. Chameleon simply won't load. You could try Clover UEFI as a bootloader instead of Chameleon but it doesn't work with Haswell or Mavericks yet... Aaanyway, long story short, Asus seems unwilling to help and says the only OS they officially support is Windows 7 and 8. This breaks a lot of linux installs too - not just Mac. Both VonDutch and I have replaced our boards with Gigabyte ones. That seems like the only solution until Asus releases a BIOS/UEFI update to address this issue, but it seems unlikely when their employees are on forums denying the issue and being rude to customers."

Has anyone had any luck or any advice to save me from this doom which seems to have occurred before I even start?

• Like 2

Haswell is just too new.

When new technology is released it takes a while to work out the kinks.

Asus will eventually release an update to fix the bug. This I can guarantee. 

You could try a pure MBR install. Format your USB stick as MBR and get the MBR patch to allow Mavericks to be installed on a non EFI hard drive.

Interesting. I found a guide about doing an MBR install (well it's part of the guide): http://www.osx86.net/guides-tutorials/18820-tutorial-how-install-mac-os-x-mountain-lion-asus-k50in-tutorial.html

I was wondering what you guys think of that guide before I dive into it on Saturday, good to know a little outside thought before attempting this kind of thing in my opinion.

Also, I saw that @gaspimp discussed clover as a replacement for chameleon that might work, but clover doesn't have support for haswell yet. So, I was wondering (*crosses fingers that he doesn't get crucified*) what you guys thought about chimera? Which I know has been updated to include support for haswell. Is it a big nono to bring that up here as it's from tonymac? If so I apologize. I'm really just trying to gain an understanding of the space.

Interesting. I found a guide about doing an MBR install (well it's part of the guide): http://www.osx86.net/guides-tutorials/18820-tutorial-how-install-mac-os-x-mountain-lion-asus-k50in-tutorial.html

I was wondering what you guys think of that guide before I dive into it on Saturday, good to know a little outside thought before attempting this kind of thing in my opinion.

Also, I saw that @gaspimp discussed clover as a replacement for chameleon that might work, but clover doesn't have support for haswell yet. So, I was wondering (*crosses fingers that he doesn't get crucified*) what you guys thought about chimera? Which I know has been updated to include support for haswell. Is it a big nono to bring that up here as it's from tonymac? If so I apologize. I'm really just trying to gain an understanding of the space.

The latest Chameleon (2248) works perfect for Haswell now. And yes, go for it! It's all about having fun. MBR install would be a perfect learning experience for you.

So, I was planning to follow this guide: http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/11/how-to-set-up-asus-hackintosh.html

with some input from this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners/

for my overall installation.

in the first one it talks about using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], which I'm not sure if that's a good idea. (again, I really hope this isn't violating the terms of this forum and if it is, I will change it.) I've talked to some people and they thought [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] would work, but I should replace the chimera portion with the latest chameleon. Does that sound like it would work? If so, how would I go about doing that? or should I just follow what the second guide says from start to finish?

It begins in the morning. The steps I will be talking:

1. flashing patched BIOS which I received from CodeRush

2. attempting to use custom installer created by user Chris1111 (updated by me to use latest chameleon) If this allows my machine to boot I will email him w/o installing it for him to update his software. Here is a link to his guide video as well as his software.

3. Depending on how long he takes to get back to me I will either use that or attempt to follow one of the previous methods I've discussed above. Will update with progress!

EDIT: Chris1111 has asked me to take down the links to his installer because it is still in development. k3nny, I understand what you are saying, but I am in direct contact with the creator of this and we are working to get any bugs out of his system

Hi, especially with a new and not fully supported systems I would recommend you not to use any installer bundles. They will likely place unnecessary extensions or modify other things, which will cause trouble at some point of time and you will have a hard time figuring out what it is. 

Follow the "all-in-one guide" you already linked above, it is really easy. Make sure to get the latest revisions of Chameleon and FakeSMC.

So I successfully followed all of the steps (I thought) described in this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners/

up until the actual part where you boot from your flashdrive (Part 3)

My computer appears to be refusing to boot from my flashdrive, when I select it from the boot menu the screen goes black and I get a little cursor that hops around the screen for a bit then my machine just boots into windows.

EDIT: I don't know if this matters at this point (I don't think it does). But I'm using ML not Maverick

I can't really help you with Chameleon, hopefully others will do.

Is it possible that you turned off CSM (Compatibility Support Module) in your BIOS? By disabling it you will lose the possibility to boot in legacy BIOS mode and won't be able to start Chameleon.

Regardless of your OS, you should be able to see the boot loader. According to netkas.org Haswell support is available starting with 10.8.5 beta by the way.

Yea, I'm tempted to go out and get 10.8.5, but I will deal with that later. I finally was able to get the thing to show the boot loader! and when I selected the apple one or whatever it hung up on the grey screen with the apple on it. I did run it in verbose mode and filmed it, but 1. I'm not sure what info from that is relevant. and 2. I'm not sure how to share that video.

I was under the impression that the chameleon update would allow me to install with some funcitonality? Maybe I just totally misunderstood. 

Forget everything I just said. I got it to boot in and am past the whole first error thing. My current error is:

"can't find mach kernel"

Mach_Kernel found, back to hanging on grey screen with apple logo. I ran it with the following commands: "-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No" I couldn't really see what happened cuz it went so quickly, but I will try to film it and post that!

Edit: Here is the last thing that shows right before I get a black screen: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1012327_10151503788853741_1659394196_n.jpg

GOT IT UP AND RUNNING! So excited. I ended up using an installer that is still in the works from user Christ1111 (he is following this thread and SUPER AWESOME!) I'm not sure when he plans to release that to the masses, but I am currently in post-installation. Installing all the good {censored} that you need for a computer to run these days.

EDIT: I did end up using maverick and not ML

The last thing that is not working is my ethernet/wifi/bluetooth. Any advice on this?

Edit: It seems that this has broken my windows install. Any advice on that?

Edit: After some frantic googling and combination of terminal and other shenanigans found here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/278523-broke-windows-after-installing-os-x/?do=findComment&comment=1816632

windows is back up and running! YAY!

The wifi, Bluetooth, and Ethernet are all built into the motherboard, which is the Asus z87-deluxe. Is that just hopeless?

It also seems that I'm still stuck booting from my flashdrive which is fairly frustrating. Any ideas why that might be or how to fix it? When I try booting without the flashdrive it gives me a black window for a little bit before booting into windows

Sure, give me two minutes here. I am not sure how to upload a file?

Edit: I have the zip file made, but I'm unsure of how to share that with you? Also, I am using a patched BIOS, how do I tell exactly what version?

I ended up just putting it in my google drive, here's a link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxiGWGRdGYwNeTJPN21jaV9yaVk/edit?usp=sharing