Windows OSX question

34 posts in this topic

i want a hd for windows games , found one on craigslist for $25 for 60gb sata drive that guy said he will put windows on it for me, question is whats easiest way to boot ,? plug one in at a time an boot or?

im usin clover btw

...that guy said he will put windows on it for me...

That's really nice of him, but I don't think Windows is THAT hardware independent. Windows is PITA to migrate from one PC to another (unless the two are 100% identical).

Thanks for info guys , I just dont wanna mess up my OSX install. I see This bootcamp assistant in utlities folder. Is it more easier to just use that to partition off 100Gb or so for windows games, and this wont mess with my osx install on the drive right? basically been tryin to play NFS world on my mac but i cant use the all car cheat because its a EXE and ive tried Winebottler ect to open it but it doesnt work..Im guessing if I run NFSW on bootcamp Win, I can use the EXE cheat for all cars. 

Also will I be able to delete the windows partition if I dont want it anymore?

I see This bootcamp assistant in utlities folder. Is it more easier to just use that to partition off 100Gb or so for windows games, and this wont mess with my osx install on the drive right?

Boot Camp DOES NOT WORK on a PC. It requires EFI (the version Apple uses) to be present to function properly. Disconnect all OS X disks and other disk containing any important data leaving only the disk to install Windows to and install it. Windows is ignorant BAD GUY then it comes to other then NTFS file systems.

• Like 1

All this to play NFS World? Hmm maybe I should install it on my Win 7 and see if it's worth the hassle. :) Easiest solution is to follow what Pi r2 said and just unplug all the drives aside from the one you want to install Windows on and let it install away to avoid any complications in the process.  It will be just like installing Windows on any PC at that point so much less headaches and head beating to do.

You'll always be able to delete the Windows partition if you're not happy with the product.

Did some research and i see that people can install win 7 with usb stick threw bootcamp, i wasnt sure that was possible i thought that usb bootcamp option was just for making the usb stick bootable with win 7 not install it, that looks like my best bet I can jus go down to best buy and get a 4gb flash drive for pretty cheap im guessing under $15 or so.  If thats best / easiest way to go let me know and ill give it a try.

I see i need to install rEFIt for the computer to detect the USB bootable win 7 install.  I notice it looks similar to Clover kinda like option to choose between Win and OSX when the computer starts, Jus makin sure this wont mess anything up.

To clarify, you want/need to install Windows on Mac (Apple computer) or you want/need to install it on a PC with OS X installed (hackintosh)?

Why I'm asking? There is a big difference in process between the two. Windows on Mac can be installed via Boot Camp utility. On hackintosh, you should install Windows the same way as with any other PC (only disconnecting OS X/data HDDs for the sake not loosing any data accidentally) hakintoshes are not any different from any other non Apple PC. Boot Camp is of no use with Hackintosh.

Yes I want to Install Windows 7 On a PC with OSx installed originally. (Hackintosh)

So just so i get this straight, I Cant use Bootcamp with hackintosh? or i can sorry its kinda hard to understand.

whats easiest cheapest way to install win 7 then on my hackintosh with 1 Hd ?

So vmware or parallels is my only option right now.? I have Win 7 files on my desktop, I dont have disc drive or usb stick yet.

I hope i can install win 7 with that VMware or Parallels with iso file.

OK.

Boot Camp tool will only work on Mac computers (Apple computers) and WILL NOT work with Hackintosh. For the Boot Camp to work like it does on Macs, there should be present the same EFI (read the thing instead of BIOS) implementation as Macs have. UEFI doesn't count. Boot Camp will not run on Hackintosh (at least it doesn't run on my Snow Leopard hackintosh).

If you have a DVD drive use it. If you don't have a DVD drive, then an USB pen drive with Windows installation disk restored to it. In order to make an installation pen drive you're going to need a PC with Windows 7/8 OS installed (or a virtual Windows machine either VM ware or Virtual box), as the official Microsoft provided tool to make Windows installation USB pen drives (as expected) is for Windows. To restore the 64 bit version of Windows (regardless is it a Pro or Home Premium or any other version) you will need a PC with 64 bit Windows installed, as you can't create a pen drive with 64 bit Windows in 32 bit Windows.

So if you don't have a DVD drive you will need either to use someone's computer with Windows, or use a virtual Windows in VMware/Virtual Box. There are OS X versions of both.

Windows in virtual machine can be installed from an iso image, so no need to have a DVD/pendrive.

Don't use the bootcamp utility in your hack, just load a DVD or USB drive with the windows 7 installer (lots of tutorials in the net), disconnect any OSX HD and install windows. Once it's working (after many reboots, like usual) reconnect the OSX disk and Chameleon or Clover will see the windows disk and let you boot from it.

ok ima give this a shot vm ware with my win 7 iso. wish me luck! ahha

I only have 1 HD. lol

thanks for advice guys for vm machine it says for settings 1Gb of memory for Win 7 in vmware is that fine or should it be more?

I have two (2) Sata HD drives on HP 7700 desktop

500G > 3 partions > I first installed windows first partion on primary drive . ML on 2nd and Maverick on the 3rd partion.

750G> 3 partions have 2 mac installs 

after I installed ML on 500g 2nd partion > installed Chameleon boot loader, if I wanted to run windows > I hit F8 and selected the win drive.

I rarely use windows 8

So If you have win on primary first HD and Mac on the second HD. at bios boot select f ? key to select boot drive. check bios to make sure both are active. after getting mac running load chameleon boot loader on mac drive.

If you want WIN and mac on one drive, boot win on first and partion (GUID) then install mac on second. either way you will need OS install sources.

remember ML needs GUID partions

I keep a 1g usb boot drive on hand  for emergency boot > f8 > select drive.

I keep a Mac drive dmg to restore. using ML on 750G and a 32g Usb

ok so i installed Win 7 32bit with Vmware and played NFS and it worked fine, I understand bout the 1gb for 32gb and 2gb for 64bit, is it worth using 64bit instead for the extra 1gb or memory? would it let the game play any smoother?

Boot Camp DOES NOT WORK on a PC. It requires EFI (the version Apple uses) to be present to function properly. Disconnect all OS X disks and other disk containing any important data leaving only the disk to install Windows to and install it. Windows is ignorant BAD GUY then it comes to other then NTFS file systems.

weird i never had a issue with os x drive being in when i install windows and been doing it since 10.4