Windows 8 netbook resolution metro apps

4everAnoob

3 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is possible. You can change the native resolution 1024x600 to 1024x768 scaled at native 1024x600. This means that all will be a little blur, but at least you can run Metro interface and you can see more stuff vertically than in native resolution. To do that, there is a Registry hack (only for Intel graphics drivers, not Microsoft) that unlocks scaling and enables 1024x768 resolution. Sorry I don't remember this hack now, but you can Google it.

However, in newer Intel graphics driver the hack is enabled by default, so you can just change the resolution. So, my advice, go to www.intel.com and download the latest driver for Windows 8. If there is one for your graphics adaptor, 99% the hack is enabled, just install the driver. If there isn't any for Windows 8, download for Windows 7. Then open the relevant INF file in Notepad and edit the entry "WINNT6.2" (the section that says do not install in Windows 8) and make it something else, like WINNT6.1 (do not install on Windows 7). Now change the section WINNT6.1 (Windows 7) or WINNT6.0 (Vista) with a lot of data underneath to WINNT6.2 and save. This changes the INF to install in Windows 8 but not 7 or Vista (who cares). Then run SETUP and the driver should install without any problem, since any Vista & 7 driver is also compatible with Windows 8, just Intel doesn't allow us to use it, to force us upgrade our hardware! Then most likely you will have to do the registry hack to enable 1024x768.

I hope that helps. To find out exactly the model of your graphics adapter, use a tool such as Aida64.

EDIT: Oops, just seen it, you said without chaning the resolution. No, you can't. But why would you want to use the Metro interface? Most users would rather use Desktop instead.

Well I was thinking on putting windows 8 on my netbook as I dont enjoy it that much on my laptop and I figured on a smaller screen metro would make more sense but m$ apparently thinks otherwise. And windows 8 without using metro is not really worth it to me. But I'll see.

Yes, it is possible. You can change the native resolution 1024x600 to 1024x768 scaled at native 1024x600. This means that all will be a little blur, but at least you can run Metro interface and you can see more stuff vertically than in native resolution. To do that, there is a Registry hack (only for Intel graphics drivers, not Microsoft) that unlocks scaling and enables 1024x768 resolution. Sorry I don't remember this hack now, but you can Google it.

However, in newer Intel graphics driver the hack is enabled by default, so you can just change the resolution. So, my advice, go to www.intel.com and download the latest driver for Windows 8. If there is one for your graphics adaptor, 99% the hack is enabled, just install the driver. If there isn't any for Windows 8, download for Windows 7. Then open the relevant INF file in Notepad and edit the entry "WINNT6.2" (the section that says do not install in Windows 8) and make it something else, like WINNT6.1 (do not install on Windows 7). Now change the section WINNT6.1 (Windows 7) or WINNT6.0 (Vista) with a lot of data underneath to WINNT6.2 and save. This changes the INF to install in Windows 8 but not 7 or Vista (who cares). Then run SETUP and the driver should install without any problem, since any Vista & 7 driver is also compatible with Windows 8, just Intel doesn't allow us to use it, to force us upgrade our hardware! Then most likely you will have to do the registry hack to enable 1024x768.

I hope that helps. To find out exactly the model of your graphics adapter, use a tool such as Aida64.

EDIT: Oops, just seen it, you said without chaning the resolution. No, you can't. But why would you want to use the Metro interface? Most users would rather use Desktop instead.