Anyone got any PCI-e BCM4360 WiFi-ac card going? (New Macbook Air owner wanted)

wifi ac wireless broadcom macbook air bcm4360 airportbrcm4360.kext IO80211Family.kext

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

rominator

rominator

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

I still hope that work on the 4325 Azurewave cards picks back up. They never finished and it could still be a cheap & solid card if we got it working on ac band.

Did anyone try the old flashing new id trick on it?

Somehow the Apple driver is saying "no thanks" to the ac part even when device id is changed in kext.

Meanwhile, I have ordered finished cards like yours with adapters in them and also parts to make more of my frankenairports.

Would be great if I could do them quickly.

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Would love to know for an upcoming itx build, so keep us updated :)

rominator

rominator

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Currently, it looks like real Apple cards or a PCIE card from Asus or...?????

I wish I had done the BT on my 4360CD, it is installed in back of Mac Pro and I would hate to bend a wire too far, break the card, and have to undo all that epoxy to find issue & fix and redo everything, so it will likely stay in the Mac Pro until I have a reason to remove it.

I don't think everyone understands that the Azurewave 4352 that many are using is NOT working as an AC card but is instead just running as an "N" card. So considering the DSDT or kext hacks needed to make it work, seems the older "N" cards that are 100% OOTB are better choices until someone fixes kexts or rebrands (flashes) the cards to actually work. The disingenuous threads listing them as "working" and "ac" then show screen shots with no "ac" listed as working are fooling people.

I have seen follow up posts where people are thankful and think the cards are working. Basically, someone has offered you a cheap Ferrari 12 cylinder but forgot to mention that it is only running on 4 pistons and is no faster than the Opel you traded in for it. I think this lack of understanding that they have gimped cards is part of why no one is clamoring for REAL ac cards.

Eventually the Chinese will figure out that there is a market and make those adapters by the 1000's for $20 each or so. Just not today.

Anyone who can solder small stuff should do what I did and just make the damn thing. I will be making more, I have ordered more parts but living in SoCal I am used to all my computer stuff either coming from Newegg (1 day away by UPS ground) or from Silicon Valley (frequently 1 day but no more than 2 days by ground)

Ordering stuff from China is 4 days minimum, and upwards of 3 weeks. Hard to keep excited while waiting.

Meanwhile the ac is till working effortlessly on my Mac Pro.

Will have an ac card for rMBP tomorrow and do some speed tests transferring files back and forth.

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Can offer you photo's of the BT only module I got, also used it on my MacPro to get fully supported BT 4.0 with marvelous signal increase.

BT is also one of its achilles heals with the case shielding the signal, plus the BT module isn't that great.

rominator

rominator

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

this card is making me crazy.

i have done another experiment: i put an airport card (taken from a macbook 2007) in the taobao adapter. i put them in a lci express slot and the card is recognized.

so the taobao adapter itself works.

the bcm94360 (wi-fi + bluetooth combo) itself works.

when i used them together (bcm94360cd+adaptor) only bluetooth works (but no wi-fi card recognized).

so it must be a software issue? i'm using 10.9 mavericks

what about you? can you help me please? 2 brains are better than one! :-)

EDIT:it's not a software issue. i tried even with ubuntu 13.10 64bit live and it doesn't recognize the wi-fi part (only bluetooth). the same with windows 7 64bit.

my conclusion it's that is hardware related to the adaptor (maybe with the switch).

i tried moving it, but nothing happened.

i even tried using a double power usb cable, nothing changed

Hi, I can confirm this exact same behavior.

I have received 3 of these adapters and just as reported, they do NOT work in Mac Pro in PCIE slot but removing the smaller adapter and putting on Mini PCIE slot the WiFi works.

Was also able to use USB cable while inside Mac Pro PCIE slot and use the BT.

I then tried an older BCM43xx card "N" type from another Mac Pro and it works in PCIE slot.

So my guess is that somehow there is a pin wrong or something, hard to say.

So far I have seen two of them do this, haven't tried 3rd one but no reason to expect different.

Mrengles

Mrengles

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Fix for unknown card for 10.8.5 build12F9:

1. In terminal:

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x30\x6B\x10\x00\x00\x75\x0D|\x30\x6B\x10\x00\x00\x90\x90|' /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360

2. In terminal:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

3. Wait 30 sec and restart...

4.Show a new report from the Terminal:

system_profiler SPAirPortDataType

P.S. You should see the

en0:
          Card Type: AirPort Extreme  (0x14E4, 0xХХХХ)
          Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (ХХХ)
          MAC Address: ХХХ
          Locale: ХХХ
          Country Code: ХХХ

Hello Skvo

Can you please explain what this HEX Edit is actually changing, and can this be accomplished with a DSDT only patch that you know of?

The PCE-AC68 work in my Hackintosh out of the box (OOB) but with limited 5GHz channel support. I'm only getting the lower and upper bands to show to show up as supported:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64,149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Anyone now how to fix this?

Thanks,

Robert aka Mrengles

http://mrengles.com/

Emilo

Emilo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Most Chinese adapters don’t work properly on many motherboards, because they have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth powered from PCI-E rail, using USB connection for Bluetooth Data only (two wires), so you will have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth working but not both at the same time. To have both working at the same time on all motherboards you must power Bluetooth part from alternative 3V power source.

Here is TAOBAO link for those who want native Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth 4.0/LE: http://item.taobao.c...&id=38195333521

This PCI-E adapter is using Broadcom BCM94360CD card found in iMac 2013.
 Both Wi-fi and Bluetooth work like a charm.

They managed Bluetooth part of the card to work properly by providing four wires connection to USB port for Data and Power.

To get correct 3.3V Bluetooth voltage from 5V USB port they have integrated AMS1117 step down voltage converter.

USB cable comes with adapter and could be plugged to internal USB header or external USB port.

If you don't speak Chinese and want to buy it, search for  TAOBAO purchasing agent. There are dozens of them.

osxwifi

osxwifi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi,

BCM94360CD (a/b/g/n/ac) and BCM94331CD (a/b/g/n) all works fine with WIFi and Bluetooth 4.0.

No spare keyboard is needed to be able to get to BIOS/UEFI or in Bootloader.

Native Airdrop Support.

Native Handoff Support for OS X Yosemite 10.10.

Emilo

Emilo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Quote:  "BCM94360CD (a/b/g/n/ac) and BCM94331CD (a/b/g/n) all works fine with WIFi and Bluetooth 4.0".

All adapters from your website are using USB connection for Bluetooth Data only (they use two wires).

In such a design only selected motherboards will be able to use both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth at the same time.

osxwifi

osxwifi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

All adapters from your website are using USB connection for Bluetooth Data only (they use two wires).

In such a design only selected motherboards will be able to use both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth at the same time.

We did a lot of testing and never had this problem with any motherboards. All tests was working fine. It using USB 2.0 Data lines.

Emilo

Emilo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

We did a lot of testing and never had this problem with any motherboards. All tests was working fine. It using USB 2.0 Data lines.

In my tests with USB used only for Bluetooth Data, it worked properly on older P45 and X58 motherboards, but I could not get it to work on newer GA-Z87MX-D3H.

Did you test it on Gigabyte Z87/H87 series motherboards?

osxwifi

osxwifi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

In my tests with USB used only for Bluetooth Data, it worked properly on older P45 and X58 motherboards, but I could not get it to work on newer GA-Z87MX-D3H.

Did you test it on Gigabyte Z87/H87 series motherboards?

Yes we did tests on Z87: GA-Z87X-UD4H, GA-Z87X-UD5 and some ASUS all did well...

we did not test GA-Z87MX-D3H but would like to do if I can find...

mr. west

mr. west

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Replaced my 5th Gen Airport Extreme router with a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 router (model R7000). 

Popped an ASUS PCE-AC68 in yesterday on Mavericks.  

It works OOB, recognized as a Third party card.  To get it recognized as Airport Extrem.  I had to hex edit /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortBrcm4360

and change 

30 6B 10 00 00 75 0D

to

30 6B 10 00 00 90 90

As others recommended in various posts.

In Network Utility, it recognizes the card as 600mbps (over 450 before).  However, in System Info -> Wifi, we see:

Current Network Information:

PHY Mode: 802.11ac
  BSSID: e4:f4:c6:05:c0:d0
  Channel: 161,-1
  Country Code: US
  Network Type: Infrastructure
  Security: WPA2 Personal
  Signal / Noise: -45 dBm / -83 dBm
  Transmit Rate: 405
  MCS Index: 7

Transmit rate = 405, which is the same as I get on my other hack with an N card (this is still higher than I got on the old router as the new router is faster).

In each case the router is only about 15 feet from the computer, so I don't think it's a signal issue.

In comparison, on my Macbook Pro Retina I get transmit rates up to 1035 (usually at 878 however).  Which is terrific.

Either way, my actual transfer rates are about the same when moving big files around.

Anyone have any tips on getting it to recognize at 1300mbps?  Or, more importantly, register a higher transfer rate?

osxwifi

osxwifi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

@mr. west ASUS PCE-AC68 and ASUS PCE-AC68 does not play nice in hackintosh. 

Native Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD and BCM94331CD new way to go in hackintosh!

xelanaiznac

xelanaiznac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Most Chinese adapters don’t work properly on many motherboards, because they have both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth powered from PCI-E rail, using USB connection for Bluetooth Data only (two wires), so you will have Wi-Fi or Bluetooth working but not both at the same time. To have both working at the same time on all motherboards you must power Bluetooth part from alternative 3V power source.

Here is TAOBAO link for those who want native Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n/ac) and Bluetooth 4.0/LE: http://item.taobao.c...&id=38195333521

This PCI-E adapter is using Broadcom BCM94360CD card found in iMac 2013.
 Both Wi-fi and Bluetooth work like a charm.

They managed Bluetooth part of the card to work properly by providing four wires connection to USB port for Data and Power.

To get correct 3.3V Bluetooth voltage from 5V USB port they have integrated AMS1117 step down voltage converter.

USB cable comes with adapter and could be plugged to internal USB header or external USB port.

If you don't speak Chinese and want to buy it, search for  TAOBAO purchasing agent. There are dozens of them.

does it work on a real mac pro?

Emilo

Emilo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I had no chance to test it in MacPro, but it should work fine.

At the beginning I purchased the same Taboo adapter as yours for testing on different PC motherboards and in several cases experienced the same behavior as you did on real MacPro.

After trying all available PCI-E pins to power Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in any combination I came to the conclusion that on some motherboards I can only get both to work by powering Bluetooth from outside PCI-E rail.

Then started to search for such an adapter and found this one:  http://item.taobao.c...&id=38195333521

This adapter has Bluetooth powered from USB port and works fine with all motherboards that original one wouldn't work with.

If you don't want to take any risk with $50 Taobao adapter which I recommended, there is more elegant solution for real MacPro (QuickerTek mCard for $149):  http://www.quickerte...cts/qCardm.html

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

As you can read I tested it out before, at least the one from taobao and it worked perfectly.

However I still have another mac pro 2010 which I want to go this way (perfect guide btw):

http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1748061

Basically with this adapter, either from taobao or osxwifi, you reroute the USB data pins to the old bluetooth module and it gets the current from the mini pci-e slot.

In fact I liked this guide so much I bought another one just to try on my mac pro :P.

On the positive side it has become 60 USD cheaper from over a year ago when I ordered it from taobao, and right now I wish I bought the new one from osxwifi; it looks a bit nicer and more compact.

Valuewise it's not to bad really I think and it makes a great addition to any mac pro / itx build or regular hackintosh.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wifi, ac, wireless, broadcom, macbook air, bcm4360, airportbrcm4360.kext, IO80211Family.kext

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy