Anyone got any PCI-e BCM4360 WiFi-ac card going? (New Macbook Air owner wanted)

wifi ac wireless broadcom macbook air bcm4360 airportbrcm4360.kext IO80211Family.kext

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

The custom appel header does pci-e + usb signals, so it won't ever do the bluetooth part.

I know this card very well and in fact I've had it for over 2 months now, and you can get it to work by using the external header and put that back in your backpanel of the pro.

The bluetooth part really is worth it though, with antenna the range and responsiveness is far better than the stock bluetooth from your mac pro (using a Mac Pro4,1 myself).

The price is a bit steep (mine came at 110 euro ~ 140 USD), I'd rather have a mini pci-e card for my hack next.

Also bluetooth 4.0 is pretty easy to get working today with several usb bluetooth sticks from ebay, as low as 4 USD including wake from sleep support.

That said it's probably not worth your trouble, I know I'll be selling mine at some point.

xelanaiznac

xelanaiznac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

The custom appel header does pci-e + usb signals, so it won't ever do the bluetooth part.

I know this card very well and in fact I've had it for over 2 months now, and you can get it to work by using the external header and put that back in your backpanel of the pro.

The bluetooth part really is worth it though, with antenna the range and responsiveness is far better than the stock bluetooth from your mac pro (using a Mac Pro4,1 myself).

The price is a bit steep (mine came at 110 euro ~ 140 USD), I'd rather have a mini pci-e card for my hack next.

Also bluetooth 4.0 is pretty easy to get working today with several usb bluetooth sticks from ebay, as low as 4 USD including wake from sleep support.

That said it's probably not worth your trouble, I know I'll be selling mine at some point.

hi. thank you for your answer.

as you suggest, i put the card on a pci express slot and i connect even the usb cable.

doing that the bluetooth part started working! but the wi-fi card doesn't work. the only way to make the wi-fi card working is to put it on the mini pci express (but loosing the bluetoth part). so what is the matter?

i tried moving the switch but nothing happens. please help me

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I've drilled a hole into the backplate for the usb cable and conected that to the backpanel of the mac pro.

Just use the adapter card and you should have working ac wifi.

Make sure not to have any wifi card in the mini pci-e slot of the mac pro itself to avoid airport conflicts.

This setup should 100% work for both bluetooth + wifi.

xelanaiznac

xelanaiznac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

I've drilled a hole into the backplate for the usb cable and conected that to the backpanel of the mac pro.

Just use the adapter card and you should have working ac wifi.

Make sure not to have any wifi card in the mini pci-e slot of the mac pro itself to avoid airport conflicts.

This setup should 100% work for both bluetooth + wifi.

you did what i was thinking. but the issue is that my wifi card is not recognized if i use the pci express slot. 2 questions:

1-the wifi switch on the pci express card is set on number 1 or on number 3?

2-what about the blue and the green cable?must i disconnect them? look at the photo

thank you

edit: on the backside only the green light is on, while the red one is off. is it correct?

Attached Files

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

The blue+ green connector are just for the data:

Me8By.gif

In effect your usb chipset gets no power now.

I connected my cable on the connector on the bottom right (not supplied with card).

The switch is in the 2-3 position off (for standard 5 volts like usb needs)

Edited by Badeendje, 30 November 2013 - 05:08 PM.

xelanaiznac

xelanaiznac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

The blue+ green connector are just for the data:

Me8By.gif

In effect your usb chipset gets no power now.

I connected my cable on the connector on the bottom right (not supplied with card).

The switch is in the 2-3 position off (for standard 5 volts like usb needs)

sorry, i didn't explain myself well.

so, these are my configuration:

if i put the card on the mini pci express (the slot for the airport extreme) i have the wi-fi working and the bluetooth (obviously) not working.

if i put the card on the pci express slot (through the taobao adapter) and connecting a usb cable, i have the bluetooth working but the wi-fi card is not recognized!

is my adapter broken?

the switch is in the 2-3 position off. 

the adaptor has the green light turned on and the red light turned off. is it correct?

can i disconnect the long blu and green cable?

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Try the switch in the other position but it should work, for me it does both wifi + bluetooth.

Also try a hackintosh just so you can compare, only data connectors needed then.

And for a mac pro you don't need those wires as the mac pro has no internal usb headers.

xelanaiznac

xelanaiznac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

what about your red and green light of the adapter?

even changing the position of the switch, my wifi card is not recognized.

i even tried with the bcm9430cs2 taken from my macbook air 2013, and it doesn't work.

i think it must be only a faulty adaptor.

what do you think?

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I think the leds are just to show communication like any (wireless)nic?

Really got no idea... they're not marked or anything.

Since both chipsets work, but not both at any given time I think the adapter card itself works alright.

For me it just works and since you can't do a lot of settings or anything I really have no advise.

Probably it should work just the way you got it.

The other option is a loose Bluetooth 4.0 stick (which I already bought) and a mini pci-e card (which I'm looking for myself now).

xelanaiznac

xelanaiznac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

I think the leds are just to show communication like any (wireless)nic?

Really got no idea... they're not marked or anything.

Since both chipsets work, but not both at any given time I think the adapter card itself works alright.

For me it just works and since you can't do a lot of settings or anything I really have no advise.

Probably it should work just the way you got it.

The other option is a loose Bluetooth 4.0 stick (which I already bought) and a mini pci-e card (which I'm looking for myself now).

i think that the card itself works (i put it on a macbook air 2013and both wi fi and bluetooth are working),

what is not working is the lci express adapter (only the bluetooth part is working).

i don't know if i have to put the blue and the green cables in other position (but you told me that they are unuseful in a mac pro)

i put the card on another mac pro and it doesn't work too.

i hope the seller would send me another adaptor

edit:it seems that the lci express doesn't give power to the wi-fi adaptor (while the bluetooth is working because it receives the power from the usb cable)

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

All the mini pci-e adapters I got (most without usb) get the power from the pci-e slot so that shouldn't be a problem.

This is the same adapter card without the apple stuff: http://item.taobao.c...&id=20865240537

I can't read chinese and after translating I'm not sure but maybe it's still helpful in figuring out.

xelanaiznac

xelanaiznac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

All the mini pci-e adapters I got (most without usb) get the power from the pci-e slot so that shouldn't be a problem.

This is the same adapter card without the apple stuff: http://item.taobao.c...&id=20865240537

I can't read chinese and after translating I'm not sure but maybe it's still helpful in figuring out.

this card is making me crazy.

i have done another experiment: i put an airport card (taken from a macbook 2007) in the taobao adapter. i put them in a lci express slot and the card is recognized.

so the taobao adapter itself works.

the bcm94360 (wi-fi + bluetooth combo) itself works.

when i used them together (bcm94360cd+adaptor) only bluetooth works (but no wi-fi card recognized).

so it must be a software issue? i'm using 10.9 mavericks

what about you? can you help me please? 2 brains are better than one! :-)

EDIT:it's not a software issue. i tried even with ubuntu 13.10 64bit live and it doesn't recognize the wi-fi part (only bluetooth). the same with windows 7 64bit.

my conclusion it's that is hardware related to the adaptor (maybe with the switch).

i tried moving it, but nothing happened.

i even tried using a double power usb cable, nothing changed

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I really don't know, it should work just fine.

Maybe I can get a hold of some other adapter cards and test.

All I can do is show you screenshots of it working correctly sometime this weekend.

xelanaiznac

xelanaiznac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

All I can do is show you screenshots of it working correctly sometime this weekend.

thank you

xelanaiznac

xelanaiznac

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

can you please tell me what is the revision of your card? it's written on the backside of the lci express card bought from taobao

thank you

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

v1.0 according to the back.

Got it working in my hack now, just working great and even mouse/keyboard support in the bios :)

rominator

rominator

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hello there. I went ahead and ordered a BCM94360CD for iMac and didn't realize that the PCIE Express Adapter is actually also using another smaller adapter that goes from newer proprietary Apple Airport slot to the slightly larger Mini-PCIE older style Airport slot. 

In other words, the pictured PCIE slot adapter has another adaptor that allows the BCM94360CD to plug into a Mac Pro (or other machines that use WiFi cards in this style)

So I need to find that smaller adapter.

Could yu guys take pix of that adapter or list any part numbers on it?

I think plenty of folks could live with no BT from it if it let them go to 802ac on older machines.

Thanks guys. This thread is linked a few places as containing rare info on ac in older Macs, everyone should know that just getting the ac card isn't enough, need that adapter.

Also, if you know of any sources for the combo of both adapters in US would be great. In fact, any way to get one or both adapters would be good.

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I'm afraid I sold mine in my Mac Pro... it was aging and a good selling factor.

Also there was way to much money in it, almost 170 euro (about 200 USD) and it was a hobby from the beginning.

Would buy an adapter like a snap again, the cards itself can be cheaply bought.

I do have a usb version here from taobao with just bluetooth though I could take pics from.

Was way cheaper and love it, my trackpad and wireless keyboard even work in the uefi bios from my hack :)

Also tried to send you a pm which didn't work, have full details on the adapter incl. pcb schemes.

rominator

rominator

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Thanks.

I made my own, but it's ugly.

http://forum.netkas....pic,8385.0.html

Badeendje

Badeendje

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I've shared my sources (same as you found obviously :P) and I got good hope you'll end up seeing these adapter cards on ebay sometime soon.

Basically they figured out a complete PCB but the connector to use.

For me it just worked, bluetooth included but I like to tinker with my workstation

And as my Mac Pro was maxed out as can be I decided it was time to put more time in my hack which is almost as fast but has half the cpu cores and memory (which is exactly what I need anyways).

So I might go with this adapter for once it turns up on ebay for my hack again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wifi, ac, wireless, broadcom, macbook air, bcm4360, airportbrcm4360.kext, IO80211Family.kext

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy