Mavericks - to be locked down (in the future)?

frankiee

101 posts in this topic

Locking down /system would completely defeat the point of a desktop os. The root user always needs access. A lot of professional third party apps and hardware would not work anymore. Wouldn't that mean no third party drivers? No pro tools, which is almost exclusively a mac userbase? The only way they could do that is to make it basically like iOS, and speaking of that, how many times has a major ios release been jailbroken? Every single time. So the talented hackintosh and osx hackers would find a way. But regardless, if that happens, and Apple decides to make a desktop operating system for idiots and completely abandon their pros and power users, there will be a lot of people moving to windows and (hopefully) Linux, in which case I would say good riddance to Apple. Also if that happens devs will support for older versions of osx for longer.<br /><br />As for the kernel, as far as i know it can still be built from the source and patched... Isn't Apple required to keep it that way or can they change the license? <br /><br />I remember a while back there was some concern about Apple considering moving to arm and how it would be the end of hackintoshes. If they do that, they would still have to support Intel computers for a little bit, and by that time powerful enough arm PC's would be available as well and we would just be building arm hackintoshes.<br /><br />So I don't think there's anything to worry about. If there's a will, there's a way, right? I can tell you there's definitely a will here...

• Like 1