Mavericks - to be locked down (in the future)?

frankiee

101 posts in this topic

Apple could care less about this or any other hacking community (unless someone starts selling millions of computers with OSX). They simply created this new system as a mean to increase their os's security, and meanwhile they will whitelist known kexts (from system reports, probably) so their real customers (Mac owners) won't face any issue with their 3rd party hardware.

And why are there names of kexts that are only used for hackintoshes? If that really is a whilelist (and remains so!) that would mean that Apple is actually supporting hacks (in a way).

Problem: I can try as hard as I want, but I simply cannot believe that. That would be very very very contrasting to the Apple I know (since 20+ years).

And why are there names of kexts that are only used for hackintoshes? If that really is a whilelist (and remains so!) that would mean that Apple is actually supporting hacks (in a way).

If I heard/read correctly, the list includes an extensive number of kexts, not exclusively hackintosh kexts. 

I am sure Apple could make this a nightmare, if they really want to.

That's what I said  :P

Why is Apple doing this?

As previously stated, one possibility would be to improve security on the part of OS X. Currently, all kexts are mixed with vanilla OS X kexts so this would be a way to create separation while not preventing the use of 3rd party kexts. At this point however, everything is just speculation and there isn't any reason to do so at this moment. Many things could change between now and GM release. Then, we will know for sure. 

I am starting to worry if they are using this to distract us or just make a list of people with un-official macs to hunt down later and charge...
PS its not a good idea to write all there errors that help us, that would just help them fix it.

^ I think you might just be a little paranoid there mate. Do you think Apple actually worries about the fact that I'm running OSX on a PC... I sure don't (especially after I bought that MPB anyway :lol:). The way I see it, they're way to busy making billions selling iPads and iPhones to care about a few guys messing around with their computers.

While I'd like to think that this in some way relates to us or to apple trying to make it easier for people to hackintosh as past of some long term commercial strategy... the logical part of my brain says - no - it's just a feature the same as any other. If by chance it helps us out, great. If not, I'm sure the developers out there will find a way around as they always do.

No worries, Apple will not "hunt us down" :) And let's just hope they won't lock us down either. But ultimately, we will have to wait and see.

Nonetheless, if anybody discovers any changes in a new build regarding this topic, it would be nice to hear about!

Those changes are already in Mavericks and have been in there since DP1... You guys misread the post and the person who posted the information in that article is mis informed into thinking that Mavericks will break Hackintoshs. The WWDC session video states that kext in /Library/Extension will not load if they are not CODESIGNED. However kexts in Extra/Extensions and S/L/E will continue to load (as they are now) and upon the first installation of your mac an annoying box will pop up and will inform you that S/L/E is not valid but they loaded anyway. After you click Ok, you will never see that box again.

Everything is fine.

You guys misread the post and the person who posted the information in that article is mis informed into thinking that Mavericks will break Hackintoshs.

I think nobody said Apple WILL definetly lock down OS X. There always was a question mark. But I think that Apple _could_ use such mechanics to lock down OS X, and they _have_ some kexts in their list (FakeSMC et al) that are only used for hacking (not exculsively hacking kexts, thats another thing). The real question is: will they? (And that's a very important question imho)

Everything is fine.

So many have said: "no, they won't", and _if_ you are all right, I will be happy. I am just a bit wary of believing that, so I'd like to see.

• 3 weeks later...

Nosotros somos la mejor inversion de Apple en comprobar la compatibilidad de productos. 

Si blockearian la posibilidad de hackear sus sistema, algo que pueden hacer facilmente, deberían desarrollar investigaciones muy caras y con mucho riesgo masivo.

google trad:

We are the best investment for Apple to check product compatibility.

If they block the ability to hack their system, something that they can do easily, should develop a very expensive research and massive risk.

Edited by fantomas1
please do your best to post your comments in english, thank you
  • Like 1

My take on this is that Apple are simply trying to add protection to genuine macs by ensuring that no OS specific kexts are tampered with. They don't care about aftermarket or hackintosh specific kexts that are not installed by the OS because they wont affect genuine macs hence they are in the exclusion list (not Apples problem if they wreak havoc etc).

• Like 2

My take on this is that Apple are simply trying to add protection to genuine macs by ensuring that no OS specific kexts are tampered with. They don't care about aftermarket or hackintosh specific kexts that are not installed by the OS because they wont affect genuine macs hence they are in the exclusion list (not Apples problem if they wreak havoc etc).

Makes sense to me.

• 1 month later...

It's absolutely impossible to lock root user out of /system, specially when unencrypted harddrives can be switched to other machine or just boot to windows and modify the files with help of macdrive, they can try but it wont end well for apple.

If they end up being able to lock it then hackintosh community will find way to override the system lock within 1hour to 2days.

Im also thinking of it more like protection from tempering of os files in genuine macs that really wont affect hackintosh's at all.

I think it would require TPM module to be installed to even lock the system and i think that will come with future macs to protect /system from tampering.

It's still the same as it was in all the dp's from what I can tell. In currently only running it on my mbp, and in the info.plist there's seriously like every kext ever made for OS X... So four the most part the only kexts you would have to add to the list would be new kexts that have been developed since it's release or modified kexts.

My build  Z87M-D3H  GeForce 760 and just 2 kext install / network and fakesmc; I never recive  message to eclude my kext  in GM   :)

ofcorz it make sense. those kexts might already been included by Apple

So, with GM out we can safely assume that the situation won't change anymore?

Interesting indeed, bc as it stands right now, hacking is even easier now, and with additional support (LGA2011) and less kexts needed. Heck, Apple did even whitelist hackintosh specific kexts, so we do not get some pesky messages. So I am also baffled a bit ... but maybe it makes sense nonetheless.

Bc in a way, Apple might see the Hackintosh community as friends, not enemies - maybe even as a big bunch of guinea pigs, which do Apple no harm, but test and make sure OS X runs on a wider variety on hardware. I do not think that Apple will release OS X for non Apple machines anytime soon, but as I know Apple, they like having some backup strategies. So, who knows?

And if I were Apple, I'd still prefer a "Hackintosher" - who is still tied to the Apple ecosystem in a way - over loosing a customer completely to Windows or Linux.

Maybe these things also play a role?

So, with GM out we can safely assume that the situation won't change anymore?

Interesting indeed, bc as it stands right now, hacking is even easier now, and with additional support (LGA2011) and less kexts needed. Heck, Apple did even whitelist hackintosh specific kexts, so we do not get some pesky messages. So I am also baffled a bit ... but maybe it makes sense nonetheless.

Bc in a way, Apple might see the Hackintosh community as friends, not enemies - maybe even as a big bunch of guinea pigs, which do Apple no harm, but test and make sure OS X runs on a wider variety on hardware. I do not think that Apple will release OS X for non Apple machines anytime soon, but as I know Apple, they like having some backup strategies. So, who knows?

And if I were Apple, I'd still prefer a "Hackintosher" - who is still tied to the Apple ecosystem in a way - over loosing a customer completely to Windows or Linux.

Maybe these things also play a role?

It's still kind of hard to believe that Apple is supporting the Hackintosh lol. The exclusion list basically says everything. Technically speaking, laptops are a bit more harder to convert them to hackintoshes while desktops are easier. The easiest however is building a hackintosh from scratch. One theory as to why they might be supporting hackintosh is because of users who need OS X but also need powerful production machines than the Mac Pro. I'm not sure if its legal but I believe there are movie or music production studios who use hackintoshes.

It's still kind of hard to believe that Apple is supporting the Hackintosh lol.

Well, seems they actually do - at least a little bit.

Technically speaking, laptops are a bit more harder to convert them to hackintoshes while desktops are easier.

"Convert" - good hint. Bc there are also people who are actually "converting", but wouldn't have done so if they hadn't the chance to try out OS X on a Hackintosh before.

All is well here: GA-Z77X-UD5H, Radeon 7950HD (Crossfire). Patched AppleHDA, FakeSMC, and Intel/Atheros and my System is running smooth. No pop-ups, no errors (bdmesg or console). The only issue I have encountered thus far is having to sleep the System once to enable SS/Turbo to work, just like all of the DP versions.

Can anyone explain how to add a kext to the exclusion list then? I have made some edits to the AGPM and it now reports that the signature is broken. The kext loads but I think it has issues when it comes out of sleep. I wanted to be able to add it to the exclusion list as to isolate the problem. Another is the AppleHDA, mine gives me the same warning in console

Any help would be appreciated

the edits shouldn't be a problem and if the kext is loaded it is fine, adding to the list is NOT going to make a difference. breaking the sign should only make it show as: from unknown. your problems with wake are from something else.

Ive always thought that the fear of kexts signing has all been FUD and with the fact that apple also includes unsigned system kexts i don't think it will ever be an issue in the future.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess it's just the one of the steps on the road to force developers sign their apps, kexts, etc. 

Why Apple shall fight with Hackintosh users? Hackintosh users are all potential customers. For sure! Hackintosh users are one of the biggest fans of Apple OS. I'm sure that Apple developers are using hackintosh based comps to test various hardware options. Apple does not loose anything. The only thing apple has done, they have shut down selling of pre-installed hackintosh comps.

If you have hackintosh, you will buy soon or later iPhone or iPad as it makes your life a lot easier by using iCloud service. Many hackintosh users have bought later MacBook.  Btw, in EU the only way to get Mac Pro type comp is to build hackintosh at the moment (Mac Pro design doesn't conform to a new EU safety standard).