[Success] HP ProBook 4x30s 4x40s

ryman

144 posts in this topic

Another successful story: last night installed Mavericks DP4 on my 4330s, but created the Mavericks install flash drive manually, instead of using the MyHack tool (with a little help from RehabMan). Installed all updates (DP5 to DP8) and reaching DP8, ran the ProBook Installer 6.1.6, selecting the options for my model, then rebooted. Initially, I had an issue with Spotlight, running continuously, but solved it with disabling the service, deleting the indexes manually in Terminal and then enabling the service again. Everything seems to work like it should.

• Like 1

Ok, here we go!

I used mostly several guides like this one, but RehabMan told me some important details.

The things you'll need:

1. Install OS X Mavericks DP4.app (recommended) or Install OS X Mavericks DP1.app (not so recommended, but will do) or InstallESD.dmg from any of them.

2. The latest Chameleon bootloader.

3. Pacifist (for extracting the mach_kernel)

4. The following files (included in this archive):

Extensions/FakeSMC.kext

Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext

Extensions/AirPortAtherosInjector.kext

modules/FanReset.dylib

5. An empty flash drive (8 GB or bigger)

6. ProBook Installer 6.1.6

I've made most of the work in Terminal to skip the "showing/hiding the hidden files" thing.

1. Mount your InstallESD.dmg (or open the content of the Install OS X Mavericks DP4.app and mount it from there), go in Finder to OS X Install ESD/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg, open the package with Pacifist and extract the mach_kernel from it. Save it somewhere. Do not unmount InstallESD.dmg until the whole flash drive creation process has not finished.

2. Prepare your flash drive: open Disk Utility, select your flash drive and create a new MBR partition table with 1 partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted. Leave the name whatever you like, in the next step it will be replaced anyway. When it's ready, close the Disk Utility.

3. Open Terminal and run the following command:

sudo asr restore -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/<flash> -erase -noverify

where <flash> is the name of your flash drive. This command will restore the base install system on your flash drive, removing its current content. Note that after this command, the name of the flash drive will be changed to OS X Base System (just like the name inside BaseSystem.dmg) so now is the time to change it to something easier to use, open Finder and change it to whatever you like. I will use InstallMavs for this example, don't forget to change the name in the next commands accordingly!

4. Run the following command:

rm /Volumes/InstallMavs/System/Installation/Packages

Packages is a symbolic link, pointing to the OS X install packages, which needs to be removed and replaces by the real Packages folder.

5. Run the following command:

cp -R /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages/ /Volumes/InstallMavs/System/Installation/Packages

This command will copy the real folder with the packages on your flash drive. Be patient, this folder is really big, so the process will take some time.

6. Install Chameleon on the flash drive, just run the package, select the flash drive as destination and click Install. Don't change the install options, leave them as they are by default.

7. You can close Terminal and unmount InstallESD.dmg (and any other dmgs you may have mounted) now. Open the flash drive in Finder and copy the extracted mach_kernel in its root folder.

8. Create an Extra folder in the root folder of the flash drive and copy in it:

- org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist from your working OS X installation.

- the content of the archive (just extract it in the Extra folder of the flash drive as it is).

NOTE: The users with FullHD screen mods or ProBook 47x0 may need to copy in the Extra folder RehabMan's Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml (as /Extra/SSDT.aml) in order to get to the installation program.

The users with 4x40s and Sandy Bridge CPU may need to copy in the Extra folder RehabMan's Mini-SSDT-IMEI.aml (as /Extra/SSDT.aml) in order to get to the installation program.

If you have to use them both (like in 4740s with Sandy Bridge CPU), one of them should be renamed to SSDT.aml and the other to SSDT-1.aml.

9. The flash drive is ready.

Now boot from the flash drive, select the flash drive in the Chameleon menu and enter the -f -v boot flags. When the Mavericks install has finished, reboot and use the flash drive again (selecting the Mavericks partition this time) with the same boot flags for the first run. When you have reached the desktop, you'll have fully operational LAN and Atheros WiFi, so use the App Store to install the first update (DP5), then reboot. Repeat the procedure (boot from the flash drive with -f -v, App Store, next update, reboot) for all updates. When you have installed DP8, boot into Mavericks (again with the flash drive and -f -v) and run the ProBook Installer 6.1.6, then reboot and that's pretty much all.

• Like 1

It's all good here! Updating was a pain in the ass though (started from DP1 up to DP8, each update took ~5min to download and ~13min to install) but in the end pretty much everything works as expected. Thanks!

I've got few questions though:

- my cpu multiplier doesn't go below x11 (resulting in 1.09GHz clock) whilst CPU on ML was running as low as on ~792MHz (not sure if this is the exact number)

- pressing the power button makes my laptop go to sleep instead of displaying a window with sleep/reboot/shutdown options (default Maverics behaviour?)

- apple logo on the login screen (above the account icon) is light gray and looks out of place (is this default in Mavs?)

It's all good here! Updating was a pain in the ass though (started from DP1 up to DP8, each update took ~5min to download and ~13min to install) but in the end everything works as expected. Thanks!

Glad you've made it!

I've got few questions though:

- my cpu multiplier doesn't go below x11 (resulting in 1.09GHz clock) whilst CPU on ML was running as low as on ~792MHz (not sure if this is the exact number)

Same here, don't know why, must be something with the new AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext. BTW, HWMonitor shows 11x most of the time, when DPCIManager 1.5 shows 8x, I have no idea which one is right.

- pressing the power button makes my laptop go to sleep instead of displaying a window with sleep/reboot/shutdown options (default Maverics behaviour?)

I haven't tried this yet. I'll check it later.

Edit: ok, it seems the behavior of this button is changed in Mavericks:

single press - the laptop goes to sleep

press and hold for a second or two - the menu with the sleep/reboot/shutdown options appears

press and hold for four seconds or more - the laptop turns off

- apple logo on the login screen (above the account icon) is light gray and looks out of place (is this default in Mavs?)

Haven't noticed such thing, because I always use the verbose mode (-v) on boot. Will take a look at this.

Edit: I tried with no boot flags and all seems normally to me, the apple logo and the spinnig circle are one above another and none of them is out of place.

• Like 1

Edit: I tried with no boot flags and all seems normally to me, the apple logo and the spinnig circle are one above another and none of them is out of place.

You misunderstood me here: I meant the *login* screen, not the boot screen. There's nothing wrong with the boot screen (apple logo and spinning circle) but I'm talking about the apple logo on the *login* screen - the place where you type your password in order to, ekhm, login. I think (might be wrong) the logo used to be much darker on ML, but maybe that's just my OCD kicking in... :)

You misunderstood me here: I meant the *login* screen, not the boot screen. There's nothing wrong with the boot screen (apple logo and spinning circle) but I'm talking about the apple logo on the *login* screen - the place where you type your password in order to, ekhm, login. I think (might be wrong) the logo used to be much darker on ML, but maybe that's just my OCD kicking in... :)

Well, mine is light gray too, so what? Maybe there is a pixel or two difference in the alignment between this logo and the user icon, but not so big deal.

Clearly Apple just changed it.

Clearly Apple just changed it.

Yeah, not a big deal. Not sure if it was mentioned before but the patch for quicker bluetooth initialization you have posted somewhere else does its job on Mavericks as well. Bluetooth starts up much quicker.

@RehabMan: I really want to request just one thing from you. As you can see I use a DV6 laptop. I have been using your Probook installer for a long time now. I just have one request.

Please separate the kexts in "Probook 4xxx support kexts" option. Using this I install all the pro book kexts. But this invariably causes a KP on ACPIplatform kext on my system. I need to use the other patched kext for Asus systems which works well.

I pretty much rely on pro book for my dv6 and dv7 laptops installation. Please do allow selection of individual kexts in the next release. 

@RehabMan: I really want to request just one thing from you. As you can see I use a DV6 laptop. I have been using your Probook installer for a long time now. I just have one request.

Please separate the kexts in "Probook 4xxx support kexts" option. Using this I install all the pro book kexts. But this invariably causes a KP on ACPIplatform kext on my system. I need to use the other patched kext for Asus systems which works well.

I pretty much rely on pro book for my dv6 and dv7 laptops installation. Please do allow selection of individual kexts in the next release. 

If any of the common kexts causes KPs for you, why don't you remove only that kext after you have run the Installer?

The ProBook Installer does not modify or install a replacement for AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

The ProBook Installer does not modify or install a replacement for AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

@RehabMan: My bad I opened it up using pacifist and yes there is no APCIplatform.kext in it. I don't know why but I always got KP panics relating to ACPIPlatform after using probook installer.

As far as separate choices are concerned, I requested that as a feature, as probook installer does come in handy for other systems too. That way we can only choose what we want and untick what we don't. That being said, I got my system up and running in one go using Pandoras Box beta on my DV6 :) This is the fastest install ever since I used hackintosh since the days of ole leopard and tiger. Used the ACIPm patch from olarila and no need for nullcpupowermanagement too.

Normal temps while idling are 50 Degrees Celsius, however B)

Edit: @RehabMan: Your PS2 kext works perfectly on my system. Even the login screen hang that I had reported earlier on tony*** was solved with a permissions repair and caches rebuild. Did not need to remove the daemon. It works just fine :yoji:

If any of the common kexts causes KPs for you, why don't you remove only that kext after you have run the Installer?

That is what I do. I used to get KP's all the time with older versions of Probook installer.

@Rehabman @philip_petev : Figured out the KP on the kext. It happens only if I inject USB in either chameleon or Clover. Selecting USBBusFix or any of its variety when I have it patched in my DSDT will cause the KP. :)

We don't use those flags on the ProBook.

Clean install of the GM also works. Only thing is the power button, which turn the screen on and off, instead of opening the shutdown popup. 

Actually, it sleeps the laptop, just like the power button does on my Apple MacBookAir6,2 :-)

Ctrl+Power will bring up the menu (with a bonk).  And surprising... Fn+Power will just sleep the display.

Hi, i don't have a Probook, i have a dv6-3016 laptop and i would to try Probook installer. I used Mavericks DP8 and works almost everythings, but the system was a bit slow, and i think that with Probook installer i could to have a better hackintosh. I ask if it's possible to use the installer for my notebook. Thanks

Hi, i don't have a Probook, i have a dv6-3016 laptop and i would to try Probook installer. I used Mavericks DP8 and works almost everythings, but the system was a bit slow, and i think that with Probook installer i could to have a better hackintosh. I ask if it's possible to use the installer for my notebook. Thanks

Not really.  The ProBook Installer is for Sandy/Ivy Bridge with Intel 6/7-series chipset HP ProBooks.  Your laptop is an HP, but that is where the similarities end.  Your laptop is gen1 Core i-series with 5-series chipset.

Probably your slowness is due to no QE/CI on graphics.  You might look at this thread for that: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286092-guide-1st-generation-intel-hd-graphics-qeci/