[Success] HP ProBook 4x30s 4x40s

ryman

144 posts in this topic

Hi, folks!

Update: The latest ProBook Installer by philip_petev supports Mavericks unofficially (with the settings for 10.8). Just download and install it on your Probook 4x30s or 4x40x. There are no special kexts beside this needed!

Guide by philip_petev:

Ok, here we go!

I used mostly several guides like this one, but RehabMan told me some important details.

The things you'll need:

1. Install OS X Mavericks DP4.app (recommended) or Install OS X Mavericks DP1.app (not so recommended, but will do) or InstallESD.dmg from any of them.

2. The latest Chameleon bootloader.

3. Pacifist (for extracting the mach_kernel)

4. The following files (included in this archive):

Extensions/FakeSMC.kext

Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Extensions/RealtekRTL8111.kext

Extensions/AirPortAtherosInjector.kext

modules/FanReset.dylib

5. An empty flash drive (8 GB or bigger)

6. ProBook Installer 6.1.6

I've made most of the work in Terminal to skip the "showing/hiding the hidden files" thing.

1. Mount your InstallESD.dmg (or open the content of the Install OS X Mavericks DP4.app and mount it from there), go in Finder to OS X Install ESD/Packages/BaseSystemBinaries.pkg, open the package with Pacifist and extract the mach_kernel from it. Save it somewhere. Do not unmount InstallESD.dmg until the whole flash drive creation process has not finished.

2. Prepare your flash drive: open Disk Utility, select your flash drive and create a new MBR partition table with 1 partition, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted. Leave the name whatever you like, in the next step it will be replaced anyway. When it's ready, close the Disk Utility.

3. Open Terminal and run the following command:

sudo asr restore -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg -target /Volumes/<flash> -erase -noverify

where <flash> is the name of your flash drive. This command will restore the base install system on your flash drive, removing its current content. Note that after this command, the name of the flash drive will be changed to OS X Base System (just like the name inside BaseSystem.dmg) so now is the time to change it to something easier to use, open Finder and change it to whatever you like. I will use InstallMavs for this example, don't forget to change the name in the next commands accordingly!

4. Run the following command:

rm /Volumes/InstallMavs/System/Installation/Packages

Packages is a symbolic link, pointing to the OS X install packages, which needs to be removed and replaces by the real Packages folder.

5. Run the following command:

cp -R /Volumes/OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages/ /Volumes/InstallMavs/System/Installation/Packages

This command will copy the real folder with the packages on your flash drive. Be patient, this folder is really big, so the process will take some time.

6. Install Chameleon on the flash drive, just run the package, select the flash drive as destination and click Install. Don't change the install options, leave them as they are by default.

7. You can close Terminal and unmount InstallESD.dmg (and any other dmgs you may have mounted) now. Open the flash drive in Finder and copy the extracted mach_kernel in its root folder.

8. Create an Extra folder in the root folder of the flash drive and copy in it:

- org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist from your working OS X installation.

- the content of the archive (just extract it in the Extra folder of the flash drive as it is).

NOTE: The users with FullHD screen mods or ProBook 47x0 may need to copy in the Extra folder RehabMan's Mini-SSDT-DualLink.aml (as /Extra/SSDT.aml) in order to get to the installation program.

The users with 4x40s and Sandy Bridge CPU may need to copy in the Extra folder RehabMan's Mini-SSDT-IMEI.aml (as /Extra/SSDT.aml) in order to get to the installation program.

If you have to use them both (like in 4740s with Sandy Bridge CPU), one of them should be renamed to SSDT.aml and the other to SSDT-1.aml.

9. The flash drive is ready.

Now boot from the flash drive, select the flash drive in the Chameleon menu and enter the -f -v boot flags. When the Mavericks install has finished, reboot and use the flash drive again (selecting the Mavericks partition this time) with the same boot flags for the first run. When you have reached the desktop, you'll have fully operational LAN and Atheros WiFi, so use the App Store to install the first update (DP5), then reboot. Repeat the procedure (boot from the flash drive with -f -v, App Store, next update, reboot) for all updates. When you have installed DP8, boot into Mavericks (again with the flash drive and -f -v) and run the ProBook Installer 6.1.6, then reboot and that's pretty much all.

Bildschirmfoto20130816um15.41.25.png

Everything works!

Thx to:

philip_petev - ProBook Installer and much more!

RehabMan - ProBook Installer, Blinkscreen, VoodooPS2Controller.kext and much more!

B.C. - patch-hda.1.1 script

myHack - Installer

Rene - GenericUSBXHCI.kext

mendietinha - AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext for DP5

and some other guys i forgot

Edited by ryman
  • Like 1

What about the kernel? @ryman how did you install the second SSD into your Hp probook? please let me know. I have a HP Dv6 6116tx running 10.8.4. Only problem I have is HDMI out. Everything else works (except 6490m of course.) 

If I can boot into Mavy without cpus=1 busratio=21 then I will give this a try tomorrow itself.

Working fine too on my pro book 4430s

Did not use my hack just copied my extra folder from ml

Replaced applesmartbattery manager kext with one from ml apple hda kext removed dsdt patch for atheros wifi and edited atheros 40 plugin for my wifi card

Works really good

post-179170-0-99253700-1371755162_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ryman, after i updated to dp3 on probook 4530s, i got an issue with the screen when starting the laptop and after signing in screen:

i got a black screen with cursur arrow show, i can move the arrow normaly but  it is a blank black screen then after i enter sleep mode by pressing fn/f1 and wake the laptop i get the normal screen and my desktop screen.

this is weird really but if you have any fix for this and/or suggesting what to do that will be appreciated mate.

BTW: i installed the blinking screen files in usr/bin as u mentioned..... do i have to copy and paste the 2 files u have: 1- blinkscreen.sh 2 - blinkscreen ?

Thank you for your attention mate

Hi Ryman, after i updated to dp3 on probook 4530s, i got an issue with the screen when starting the laptop and after signing in screen:

i got a black screen with cursur arrow show, i can move the arrow normaly but  it is a blank black screen then after i enter sleep mode by pressing fn/f1 and wake the laptop i get the normal screen and my desktop screen.

this is weird really but if you have any fix for this and/or suggesting what to do that will be appreciated mate.

BTW: i installed the blinking screen files in usr/bin as u mentioned..... do i have to copy and paste the 2 files u have: 1- blinkscreen.sh 2 - blinkscreen ?

Thank you for your attention mate

Copy both files to /usr/bin/.  After reboot blinkscreen should work probably!

• 2 weeks later...

thank you mate, Sorry for late reply, i did not have electricity and we had a bad weather in here,

I am installing now dp5 and hope that 10.9 version 4.1 works for it..... will see and report as soon as i finish installation 

be seeing you later

Maybe a little bit, but not really noticeable.

hi, i have a bad experience with pro book 4530s Battery since dp5, i wonder if in final release will be approved and works like it is working now with ML.

That's a pity. I hoped for ~4hrs instead of ~3.5hrs on my Probook 4330s.