Installing Leopard 10.5.6 Using iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 on SATA HDD on an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO

verdant

17 posts in this topic

All done on an eSATA Hard Drive connected via eSATA ......using a USB keyboard and mouse (NOT PS/2), Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 G0 CPU running at 3.0GHz, PATA DVDRW, Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB graphics card, Netgear GA311 Gigabit LAN PCI card (RealTek 8169S chipset) and Asus SupremeFX audio card (AD1988b audio codec).

NO WARRANTY IS IMPLIED OR GIVEN AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THESE STEPS WILL WORK FOR YOU AS THEY HAVE FOR ME.

THIS GUIDE IS ONLY for INTEL CPUs NOT AMD CPU SYSTEMS AND THE KERNEL AND THE SYSTEM INSTALL SELECTIONS USED IN THE GUIDE ARE FOR AN nFORCE CHIPSET MOBO. CERTAIN SELECTIONS WILL NEED TO BE DIFFERENT FOR AN AMD CPU AND/OR INTEL CHIPSET MOBO.

For further information on installing OS X on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs, check out my InsanelyMac Topic threads on Series 7 nForce chipsets and/or Pre-Series7 nForce chipsets, originally here and now here, depending on your nForce chipset....... :dev:

Part I - Clean install of iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3

Personally I have used both the unpatched iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3, Public Beta Release.iso file (burned to DVD), and the PPF5 patched iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3, Public Beta Release.iso file (burned to DVD).

1. I booted from my USB Flash Drive OSx86 Install DVD Booter.......called "OSx86DeFacto" by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the OSx86DeFacto USB Flash Drive and pressing Enter.

Otherwise, use a PPF1 patched iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3, Public Beta Release.iso file (burned to DVD) with MD5 checksum of 0c93dea47a999344a3b4303740f623f9 after patching.

Or, a PPF1 patched .iso file patched again with PPF2........MD5 checksum of patched ISO after PPF2 patching: 0fbdc0ed0bed502e026cca9cf42efa2c.

Or, a PPF2 patched .iso file patched again with PPF3........MD5 checksum of patched ISO after PPF3 patching: fb4742db14dcba1892ead2f61b080e4e.

Or, a PPF3 patched .iso file patched again with PPF4........MD5 checksum of patched ISO after PPF4 patching: a702367d23d9b3374df19ace88a9fb08.

Or, a PPF4 patched .iso file patched again with PPF5........MD5 checksum of patched ISO after PPF5 patching: 9ceb2e8daaa182a1071a337ad9b81e3f.

Or, the iPC OSx86 Universal 10.5.6 Final ISO (aka iPC Beta with PPF5) with MD5 checksum 9ceb2e8daaa182a1071a337ad9b81e3f

Or, the V1.1 PPF patched iPC OSx86 Universal 10.5.6 Final ISO (aka iPC Beta with PPF5) from ~pcwiz [Developer of iPC OSx86] .......MD5 checksum of patched ISO after V1.1 PPF patching: 723fbe0f7f619e30e4c92c1865450a18.......that adds MeDevil's AppleNForceATATest package for people who are having issues with the default AppleNForceATA package (slashack 64bit modded MeDevil kext)........you really only need to apply it if the default AppleNForceATA does not work for you (Still waiting for root device, found 0 units, etc.)......to the Final Release .iso file. :dev:

2. On the OSx86DeFacto Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "-v rd=diskXs2" (without quotes) and with X=5 in my case).

3. Once the iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 OS X Installer has loaded, choose the main language and then use Disk Utility to partition the HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR) into the number and size of volumes required, and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) giving it a unique name without spaces.

4. If the HDD has been partitioned into more than one volume, select the volume to install to.

My external 750GB HDD is partitioned as MBR into 6 OS X volumes formatted as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled); the first volume has the Darwin PC_EFI v8 bootloader installed using OSx86Tools and is a 10GB OS X Boot volume with Kalyway 10.5.2 installed and "-v cpus=1 maxmem=2048" set in com.apple.Boot.plist.

5. Press Continue and then Customize. Once in the "Customize" menu, select as follows:

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Base System (installed by default with AppleDecrypt.kext and Disabler.kext)

Language Translations - Optional but not selected by myself

iPC OSx86 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3

Kernels -
9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

Drivers - Video Drivers - NVIDIA -
NVdarwin 256MB

Drivers - Chipset Drivers -
AppleNForceATATest nForce Drivers

Drivers - Audio Drivers -
AD1988B

Drivers - Ethernet Drivers -
Realtek R1000

Drivers - USB Drivers -
Patched USB Drivers

Fixes and Patches -
Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5
(
must be installed if Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel is installed
)

Fixes and Patches - AppleSMBIOS Patch -
AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 Mac Pro

Applications -
Optional but all selected except Marvin's AMD Utility

6. Double check "Customize" choices, click Done, then in Install Summary window, click "Install". When install begins, choose to (or not) skip the DVD verify process.

7. When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the HDD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the HDD and pressing Enter.

8. On the HDD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v -f" if you want to use "Do You Already Own a Mac" window to transfer your information across via options listed, or if not, simply type "-v -f" (without quotes) and wait as verbose booting takes place successfully into the Welcome screen video sequence......

9. At this point iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 OS X ran fine for me, with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048" since information transferred from another external or internal HDD OS X system, giving full CI & QE 1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz video, Internet access, network file sharing, simple audio playback on iTunes Radio, USB 2.0 device mounting/un-mounting/data transfer, Firewire mounting/un-mounting/data transfer, functioning Sleep mode, shutdown/restart, Darwine,...... :graduated:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.5

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x104381F2

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Headphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Line Out:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Optical

Microphone:

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Expansion Slot

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x036d

PCI Revision ID: 0x00a2

PCI Vendor ID: 0x10de

Bus Number: 0x2b

DataBar USB2.0:

Capacity: 14.94 GB

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: Yes

BSD Name: disk4

Product ID: 0xfcf6

Vendor ID: 0x07ab

Version: 11.00

Serial Number: 907708280064

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Freecom

Location ID: 0x2b800000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

Mac OS 9 Drivers: No

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Volumes:

FREECOM16:

Capacity: 14.94 GB

Available: 8.04 GB

Writable: Yes

File System: MS-DOS FAT32

BSD Name: disk4s1

Mount Point: /Volumes/FREECOM16

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

1394 storage:

Manufacturer: COMBO

Model: 0x8034

GUID: 0x1A300000083A1

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Sub-units:

1394 storage Unit:

Unit Software Version: 0x10483

Unit Spec ID: 0x609E

Firmware Revision: 0x0

Product Revision Level: 0.01

Sub-units:

1394 storage SBP-LUN:

Capacity: 37.26 GB

Removable Media: Yes

BSD Name: disk6

Mac OS 9 Drivers: No

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Volumes:

ISO_TRANS:

Capacity: 37.26 GB

Writable: Yes

File System: NTFS

BSD Name: disk6s1

Mount Point:

Part II and Part III are only needed if using a PPF1 or PPF2 patched iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3, Public Beta Release.iso file

Part III is only relevant if you want or need to install eno's latest nForceLAN.kext (0.62.12n), in place of version 0.62.8n installed by iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3 from PPF3 onwards......

Part II - Installation of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext to give 6GB RAM operation with iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3, Public Beta Release OS X Installation

1. Download slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext Driver......unzip file......

2. Install AppleNForce.kext v0.1 using Kext Helper b7.......

3. Reboot with -v -f......

Success.......4 cores and 6GB RAM operational with full CI & QE 1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz video, Internet access, network file sharing, simple audio playback on iTunes Radio, USB 2.0 device mounting/un-mounting/data transfer, Firewire mounting/un-mounting/data transfer, functioning Sleep mode, shutdown/restart, Darwine,...... :dev:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Part III - Installation of eno's latest nForceLAN.kext (0.62.13n) to give onboard LAN operation with iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3, Public Beta Release OS X Installation

1. Download eno's latest nForceLAN.kext onboard LAN driver (0.62.13n) for nForce MOBOs, ........unzip file......

2. Install nForceLAN.kext using Kext Helper b7.......

3. Reboot with -v -f......

Part IV - Making the "About This Mac" Accurate in Real-Time for Your Q6600 CPU Clock Speed and Transparent Black with iPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 Intel AMD SSE2 SSE3, Public Beta Release OS X Installation

See my blog entry dated Friday 27th June 2008....... :P

• 11 months later...

Hey, great tutorial, I'm having a random issue that I wonder if you could help with when installing iPC 10.5.6 on my XFX nForce 750i, E8500 C2D, 6 GB DDR2_800, and GeForce 9800 GT. I follow your steps exactly but the install says it fails while trying to run the preinstall scripts for the 930SleepKernel. It does this regardless of whether or not I actually select the SleepKernel during the Customize section. BTW, I've been selecting all other kernels except Sleep, just for the record.Thanks for any help

Hey, great tutorial, I'm having a random issue that I wonder if you could help with when installing iPC 10.5.6 on my XFX nForce 750i, E8500 C2D, 6 GB DDR2_800, and GeForce 9800 GT. I follow your steps exactly but the install says it fails while trying to run the preinstall scripts for the 930SleepKernel. It does this regardless of whether or not I actually select the SleepKernel during the Customize section. BTW, I've been selecting all other kernels except Sleep, just for the record.Thanks for any help
Re-post your comment in my Series 7 nForce thread and I will reply if you find no further help from post #1 as soon as I have some time..........

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys im new to all of this, but i must say this info is amazing. just a quick onei have installed as per instructions and works fine well almost, i have one issuewhen i restart the pc it seems to take a long time at loading ie when it goes to the mac screen the white one with the apple in the middle i get like a no entry sign and stops there, does any one have any ideas why. is there a patch or a bios setting that i need to. and if i press reset well it starts up now and again if not i have to leave it for 20min then it may work againim using p5n32-e sli mobo8 gig ram 160 gig hdd idedvdrw again idepentium duo core 2 .13mhz Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache: 2 MB Memory: 8 GB Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08ATA Bus:Maxtor 6L160P0: Capacity: 152.67 GB Model: Maxtor 6L160P0 Revision: BAJ41GN0 Serial Number: L32KAFCG Removable Media: No Detachable Drive: No BSD Name: disk0 Protocol: ATA Unit Number: 0 Socket Type: Internal Low Power Polling: No Mac OS 9 Drivers: No Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record) S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified Volumes:mac: Capacity: 142.9 GB Available: 130.45 GB Writable: Yes File System: Journaled HFS+ BSD Name: disk0s2 Mount Point: /LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H: Model: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H Revision: LL0C Serial Number: Detachable Drive: No Protocol: ATAPI Unit Number: 1 Socket Type: Internal Low Power Polling: No Power Off: No Type: Ethernet Hardware: Ethernet BSD Device Name: en0 IPv4 Addresses: 192.168.0.12 IPv4: Addresses: 192.168.0.12 Configuration Method: DHCP Interface Name: en0 NetworkSignature: IPv4.Router=192.168.0.1;IPv4.RouterHardwareAddress=00:18:4d:10:4e:8c Router: 192.168.0.1 Subnet Masks: 255.255.255.0 IPv6: Configuration Method: Automatic DNS: Server Addresses: 192.168.0.1 DHCP Server Responses: Domain Name Servers: 192.168.0.1 Lease Duration (seconds): 0 DHCP Message Type: 0x05 Routers: 192.168.0.1 Server Identifier: 192.168.0.1 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Proxies: Exceptions List: *.local, 169.254/16 FTP Passive Mode: Yes Ethernet: MAC Address: 00:40:95:30:ab:9e Media Options: Full Duplex, flow-control Media Subtype: 100baseTX

hi guys im new to all of this, but i must say this info is amazing. just a quick onei have installed as per instructions and works fine well almost, i have one issuewhen i restart the pc it seems to take a long time at loading ie when it goes to the mac screen the white one with the apple in the middle i get like a no entry sign and stops there, does any one have any ideas why. is there a patch or a bios setting that i need to. and if i press reset well it starts up now and again if not i have to leave it for 20min then it may work againim using p5n32-e sli mobo8 gig ram 160 gig hdd idedvdrw again idepentium duo core 2 .13mhz
Hi there,Glad to help..... :angel: Boot with -v debug=0x100 and post the boot screen error messages in my Pre-Series 7 nForce topic so I can see what problems you are having with booting.....Cheersverdant

• 9 months later...
Guest emuhack

i have everything installed and working.... boots to OS and i did the -v -f hook on first boot to load all kext files....but im missing drivers... can i just find the kext files and load them using the program mentioned at the end of the guide???Thanks,Missing:Audio - realtekNetwork - intel

i have everything installed and working.... boots to OS and i did the -v -f hook on first boot to load all kext files....but im missing drivers... can i just find the kext files and load them using the program mentioned at the end of the guide???Thanks,Missing:Audio - realtekNetwork - intel
Yes.......you can install kexts in /S/L/E/ using Kext Helper b7........

• 3 months later...
how would i install this on a nVidia GeForce 6100V amd cpu? can i do it usb. i tried to burn the ipc osx 10.5.6 and it failed 3 times..
Check that the MD5 checksum of the .iso file matches the correct MD5 checksum for iPC 10.5.6 Final Version and then burn the single layer DVD at the slowest possible speed ≤ x4.......

ok. is there anyway i can use a slave hard drive? i got 2 sata hard drives. 320gb primary. 120gb secondary. or i can use a ide 40gb. can i make a 16gb partition use it as a usb. and install install it on the other half?btw i got a dell e310 p4 2.8ghz.and a compaq sr5505f 2.2ghz amdwhich would be better to install it on

• 2 weeks later...
ok. is there anyway i can use a slave hard drive? i got 2 sata hard drives. 320gb primary. 120gb secondary. or i can use a ide 40gb. can i make a 16gb partition use it as a usb. and install install it on the other half?btw i got a dell e310 p4 2.8ghz.and a compaq sr5505f 2.2ghz amdwhich would be better to install it on
Install to a SATA HDD partitioned/formatted as GPT/Mac OS Extended (Journaled)......it is generally easier to install on Intel CPU MOBOs......

thanks for the reply. i put kalyway 10.5.1 on my dell. sata hdd. 1 partition mdr. install went perfect. but i always get b0 no matter what. any suggestions?
Have you see here.....?

i have tried that.. i do it all right and when i do write.. "device could not be accessed exclusively. i put universal ipc osx 10.5.6 and every boot it just sticks at the boot screen
Recommend you post in New Users Loung to get further help........give your full system details and state the boot flags you have tried on bootup etc.......it is easier to get help there more quickly......

• 2 months later...

Sorry for asking this here but I don't know were should I post this.I have a Toshiba Laptop l40-15g psl48e and I tried to boot from iPC DVD 10.5.6 with the options "-v cpus=1" as it says on wikipedia.It takes a while to load and I can see progress on the screen, but after a while I get a blank blue screen and I don't know what to do.Help?

Sorry for asking this here but I don't know were should I post this.I have a Toshiba Laptop l40-15g psl48e and I tried to boot from iPC DVD 10.5.6 with the options "-v cpus=1" as it says on wikipedia.It takes a while to load and I can see progress on the screen, but after a while I get a blank blue screen and I don't know what to do.Help?
That is a video kext issue......your laptop I think has an integrated GPU...... Intel GMA X3100.........try booting with -v -x cpus=1.......Post your next questions in the New Users lounge if you make any progress booting iPC DVD 10.5.6 with -v -x cpus=1.....