M2N-SLI Deluxe BIOS Borking Guide

Lanceomni

8 posts in this topic

M2N-SLI Deluxe BIOS Borking Guide

1. Go to Asus.com to download the latest bios for your mobo.

2. Download all drivers/utilities for your mobo.

3. Notice that the utility "Asus Update" can download and flash your bios from Windows.

4. Knowing that you should save the bios update to a usb thumb drive and reboot into the bios setup to flash. You instead use this program and allow it to <strike>flash</strike> "BORK" your bios.

5. Reboot only to find nothing is happening.

[uPDATE]
I figured that I would give it one more try. So this time I pulled the battery and set the jumpers to short out the remaining juice. I replaced the jumper and battery and was able to get into setup but it would not let me flash the bios. It would freeze when I selected the option. I did this a second time but left the battery out and the jumper on clear and rebooted. MAGICALLY it decided to allow me to reflash and Im back to normal. Go figure.

Yeah so I noticed that there were several bios updates since I last flashed. I figured I might upgrade to a new flashy AMD processor so I might as well update the bios.

Well it started flashing and got to 86% and paused. Then it completed flashing but failed on the verification.

So I Pulled the battery and shorted the jumpers. No good. I then remembered that my bios has Asus CrashFree installed. This should allow me to revert and recover from a bad flash. Well I restart with the mobo driver disk and got nothing. I then stripped the computer to barebones. I followed some recomendations and replaced the pci express graphics card with a PCI card. So now I have just an IDE cdrom, PCI graphics and processor. I now boots off the CDROM but instead some running CrashFree it gives me this error.

Bad or missing Command Interpreter

Enter the full shell command line:

command.com /P /E:256

Some error from FreeDOS which I assume is whats on the Asus driver disk.

I call Asus and bring the tech support guy up to date. He says flashing the bios from "asus update" in windows is a bad idea. Most people have problems with this.

Well Id say take that #%^*%^ utility off the website or give me some kinda warning.

I tried to get him to go over CrashFree with me and he says "That never works". :graduated:

So I guess Im ordering a new bios chip on Monday.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest: Mark_*

Read this after failing M2N SLI DELUXE bios update and failing crash free "rescue", but can confirm that using PCI video, removing battery, setting clear cmos jumper and booting IN THAT CONDITION got me access normal bios setup. From there I used tools/bios update. Thanks for the update. :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...
Read this after failing M2N SLI DELUXE bios update and failing crash free "rescue", but can confirm that using PCI video, removing battery, setting clear cmos jumper and booting IN THAT CONDITION got me access normal bios setup. From there I used tools/bios update. Thanks for the update. :thumbsup_anim:
Awesome, most people think I am mistaken on the steps I used but finally I have someone to confirm this. It is strange as I have never come across anything like this previously.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest: Nick_*
Read this after failing M2N SLI DELUXE bios update and failing crash free "rescue", but can confirm that using PCI video, removing battery, setting clear cmos jumper and booting IN THAT CONDITION got me access normal bios setup. From there I used tools/bios update. Thanks for the update. :angel:
Awesome, most people think I am mistaken on the steps I used but finally I have someone to confirm this. It is strange as I have never come across anything like this previously.
Well just to reaffirm - tried to update with the Asus Updater - Erased ok, paused at 87% then completed the write then failed the verify at 80 something %.Tried to reboot but dead - no post - nada.Did as suggested - removed battery, cleared CMOS with jumper for 10 seconds replaced jumper.Removed PCI-E video card and replaced with PCI card.Rebooted - into BIOS ok. Flashed with EZ Flash to 1701 - completed ok.Shut down.Replaced PCI_E card - botted back into BIOS - set my preferences then all OK with updated BIOS.Phew ......

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

In my case, i did a update from DOS to the newest bios ver 5100, the update was successfull, but the computer started to hang up after the boot.Because the hang ups, it wont let me downgrade to the old bios.So, i find this post, --> removed battery, cleared CMOS with jumper for 10 seconds, replaced jumper.Now the the hang ups are gone, and windows is starting normally.I did this update because this mobo was not recognizing my 6gb ram, only 5.5gb in bios, now she recognize all 6gb, and the system is working smooth.

• 3 months later...

Similar problem here... Computer starts up... two to three seconds later, it turns off...I assumed hardware problem and put it aside for a few weeks... Later I tried to get it running (using new PSU) and up it came...Everything worked fine for a few weeks and then it started all over again...This time I noticed if I cleared the CMOS (jumper pins 2 & 3) it would boot but I need to do this every time I booted...If I do not put the CMOS jumper back, it won't remember setting but it will boot every time....As a last resort I changed the CMOS battery and every thing is working fine now....Still not convinced it was a dud battery as these should last at least sever years (8 to 10 years normally)...