M2N SLI Deluxe AMD Box

Lanceomni

4 posts in this topic

Ive moved on to a new project. Ive listed the system specs and issues I ran into below.

MOBO: Asus M2N SLI Deluxe (BIOS )

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 5000 X2

RAM: Corsair XMS2 DDR-800 1gb x4 (4gb)

GRAPHICS: PNY 7600GT 256mb (VCG7600GXPB)

DRIVES: 1x WD 74gb Raptor SATA 1.5, 3x WD Caviar 80gb SATA 3, NEC DVD Burner (ND3550A), ASUS DVD ROM (E-616A2)

INSTALL: Kalyway 10.5.2 AMD + all software updates from apple apart from system updates.

Resolved Issues:

1. Graphics card worked but without all the goodies. Despite having selected NVinject on install I had to redownload it and install. Worked like a charm after reboot giving me acceleration and all resolutions.

2. USB ports didn't "plug and play" It only recognized those plugged in on boot. Quick search provided the answer. mach_kernel & system.kext did not have matching version numbers. My Kernel was 9.2.0 and the system.kext was 9.2.2. A Post by lioNEXT answered my questions and offered other solutions to problems like this. I recomend that you read lioNEXT's post and make sure that mismatched version numbers is your problem. If for some reason his post is down here is the link to the patch usb_fix_1.3.mpkg.

3. The onboard dual gigabit ethernet is not supported and I could find no patches. I sprung for a PCI ethernet card from Netgear FA311 and it worked out of the box. (I would love to hear a fix however. [uPDATE] nForce drivers are available and work fine. Ive utilized both ports and they work great

Unresolved Issues:

1. Onboard RAID doesnt work. The motherboard was listed as having a hardware RAID however I believe it is software based running off of the motherboard. The array can be set up just after startup before the OS loads. I had originally set it up with two 80gb RAID 0 for scratch disk space and even after I wiped my OS drive clean and installed it showed my array as healthy but Leopard doesnt see it. I have since then disabled RAID on the motherboard and tried setting up RAID in Leopard from DiskUtil. I still have problems mounting it.

I formatted both drives and successfully set them up as RAID 0 for scratch disk. I may attempt to try the onboard RAID or look into purchasing a PCI Express RAID controller. 11/4/08

2. It takes at least over full minute to startup and I know that there must be something hanging the system up. Ill have to post some of the startup logs.

3. Viewing networks. I can't see the network icon anymore. I am sure this is just something Ive done as I had used it right after install.

4. Holding "T" while starting up does not turn my computer into a firewire drive. I assume that this is something build into apple's hardware.

• 9 months later...
Guest LongN3ck

bump... over a year later....I have that same board, and just installed Leo4All Server 10.5 with much success, my only issue is the lack of network. What network .kext did you use? I have no lights at all on the board and no connectivity. :angel:

• 3 weeks later...
bump... over a year later....I have that same board, and just installed Leo4All Server 10.5 with much success, my only issue is the lack of network. What network .kext did you use? I have no lights at all on the board and no connectivity. :angel:
Damn sorry about the delay. I did not have email notification on ;)I used nForceLAN.kext http://rapidshare.com/files/171102326/nForceLAN.kext.zip Let me know if you have any questions about installing.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Lance, did you have any difficulties with the install? I have the same mobo with an Athlon X2 6000+ and 2gb ram and have had nothing but failures.I've tried many distro's and I have yet to complete one successfully. iDeneb, iAtkos, Kalyway, Leo4all, each has it's own errors it pops up with, usually something like "The installer could not verify the contents of the 'xxxx' package." I've tried multiple burns of the same iso at different speeds, different downloaded copies of the same distro and of course other distros and still no joy.Might I inquire as to what your drive setup is? I've been working with and IDE HDD and an IDE DVD drive, although I've previously tried SATA-IDE, IDE-SATA, and SATA-SATA. To be honest, I've had so little success I abandoned the SATA's a while ago as many distros wouldn't even get into the installer!Any suggestions are greatly welcomed!Thanks!