Install Leopard 10.5.4 via iDeneb v1.1 or v1 10.5.4 on External SATA HDD on an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO

verdant

1 post in this topic

All done on on an eSATA Hard Drive connected via eSATA ......using a USB keyboard and mouse (NOT PS/2), Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 G0 CPU, PATA DVDRW, Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MBgraphics card, Netgear GA311 Gigabit LAN PCI card (RealTek 8169S chipset) and Asus SupremeFX audio card.

NO WARRANTY IS IMPLIED OR GIVEN AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THESE STEPS WILL WORK FOR YOU AS THEY HAVE FOR ME.

THIS GUIDE IS ONLY for INTEL CPUs NOT AMD CPU SYSTEMS AND THE KERNEL AND THE SYSTEM INSTALL SELECTIONS USED IN THE GUIDE ARE FOR AN nFORCE CHIPSET MOBO. CERTAIN SELECTIONS WILL NEED TO BE DIFFERENT FOR AN AMD CPU AND/OR INTEL CHIPSET MOBO.

A. Clean install of Leopard 10.5.4 via iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4 Intel/AMD DVD

I used the iDeneb_v1_10.5.4.iso file (burned to slowly to DVD, i.e. at ≤ x4) with MD5 checksum:

MD5 = 11f087c6acf31ec93d23ef625c189648

and downloaded the iDeneb 10.5.4 - v1.1 ppf patch now available as a .zip file...... :dev:

The patching instructions in the extracted iDeneb_v1.1_PPF_Patch folder are clear and easy to follow, and after patching the iDeneb_v1_10.5.4.iso file, its mounted name changed to iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4, and so I renamed the patched .iso file with MD5 checksum:

to iDeneb_v1_10.5.4.iso.

1. Boot from the iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4 Intel/AMD Install DVD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

2. On DVD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 –v" (without quotes) 3. Once the iDeneb OS X Installer has loaded, choose your main language and then use Disk Utility to partition the HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR) into the number and size of volumes required, and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) giving it a unique name without spaces.

4. If you have partitioned your HDD into more than one volume, select the volume to install to.

5. Press Continue and then Customize. Once in the "Customize" menu, select as follows:

Language Translations: No selections for myself

Additional Fonts: Selected for myself

X11: Selected for myself

Patches 10.5.4 Ready:

AMD Patch:
Not selected

Audio:
Not selected

Chipset:
AppleNForceATA selected ONLY

Kernel:
Kernel 9.2.0 Sleep selected ONLY

Network:

- Ethernet:
No selection (
Realtek RTL8169 driver now integrated!
)

- Wireless:
No selection

Fix:
No selections EXCEPT

- AppleSMBIOS: AppleSMBIOS Mac Pro

Video:
No selections EXCEPT

- NVinject:
NVinject 0.2.1 256MB

Applications: All selected

6. Double check "Customize" choices, then click "Install". When install begins, choose to (or not) skip the DVD verify process.

7. When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the HDD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the HDD and pressing Enter.

8. On the HDD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 –v" (without quotes) and wait as verbose booting takes place successfully into the Welcome screen video sequence BUT without sound (as expected since no audio driver installed)...... :dev:

All of the problems with v1 that I experienced, i.e. Welcome screen looping after "Do not transfer my information now" and "almost empty" IONetworkingFamily.kext preventing Internet access via RTL8169 HAVE BEEN FIXED......

Changelog v1 to v1.1:

Fix CarbonLib Error

Fix Error " Do not Transfer my information now ", now all ethernet drivers works.

The Drivers for Realtek RTL8169 and RTL8139 has been integrated

• The ApplePS2Controller has been integrated

• Update Drivers for Ati Radeon X1600 and X1950XT

• Fix Error in Tiger-IO80211 package

• Update Adium to Version 1.3

• Update Transmission to Version 1.33

9. Furthermore, the Migration Assistant application works fine (BUT must boot with cpus=1 and maxmem=2048 to avoid freezing during large file and heavy data load transfer......as with Firewire) enabling the transfer of User Accounts and Applications etc. from my Kalyway OS X 10.5.4 system...... :P

Also, on booting after installing iDeneb, the System Profiler directly (i.e. no resolution change required via System Preferences-Displays) showed 1280x1024@75Hz resolution 32-bit Color depth and 256MB VRAM with Hardware Accelerated CI and QE Supported….. :P

UPDATE: To get switchable resolutions on-the-fly, try swapping the monitor DVI or VGA (via VGA-to-DVI adapter) connector to the other DVI port on the GFX card.....this tip, from cyclonefr, has worked for me.

10. At this point iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4 runs without any apparent problems, including USB devices and Firewire devices mounting/unmounting.....etc., EXCEPT for no audio.....In order to get full audio functions, I ran the Taruga_AD1988b_rev3_Installer package downloadable from http://wiki.taruga.net/tiki-index.php.....when online.... :P or from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=30545..... :dev:

11. Finally, to avoid any problems with the well known >3 GB RAM problem... :dev: ; see this thread by mtotho.....on many motherboards, if you install 4GB or more of RAM in Dual Channel mode, then you may get a kernel panic when the RAM usage exceeds 3GB (I have experienced this issue with 4, 5 and 6GB RAM installed, although in some fora it is suggested that with 6GB or 8GB RAM the issue may disappear.... :rolleyes: )

So, modify the com.apple.Boot.plist file as follows:

1. Go to the Terminal, and at the $ prompt, type in

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

2. Enter your password when requested. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor within the Terminal window.

3. Type in (without any spaces anywhere)

maxmem=3072

between <string> and </string> under <key>Kernel Flags</key>.

4. Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press Ctrl O and then Enter, to save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file.

5. Press Ctrl X to Exit and type "exit" at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal.

12. Go to System/Library/Extensions, and scan down extensions list to check for:

AppleCPUThermo.kext

AppleThermal.kext

and any other any *Thermal* kexts, if present; these should be removed as they can cause CPU overheating under OS X......

13. Finally modify the "About This Mac" reporting of the CPU type to suit......Repair Permissions takes place with no ACL or SUIDS errors....so go enjoy OS X 10.5.4..... :rolleyes:

B. Clean install of Leopard 10.5.4 via iDeneb v1 10.5.4 Intel/AMD DVD

I used the iDeneb_v1_10.5.4.iso file (burned to DVD) with MD5 checksum:

1. Boot from the iDeneb v1 10.5.4 Intel/AMD Install DVD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

2. On DVD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 –v" (without quotes) 3. Once the iDeneb OS X Installer has loaded, choose your main language and then use Disk Utility to partition the HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR) into the number and size of volumes required, and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) giving it a unique name without spaces.

4. If you have partitioned your HDD into more than one volume, select the volume to install to.

5. Press Continue and then Customize. Once in the "Customize" menu, select as follows:

Language Translations: No selections for myself

Additional Fonts: Selected for myself

X11: Selected for myself

Patches 10.5.4 Ready:

AMD Patch:
Not selected

Audio:
Not selected

Chipset:
AppleNForceATA selected ONLY

Kernel:
Kernel 9.2.0 Sleep selected ONLY

Network:

- Ethernet:
Realtek RTL8189 selected ONLY (
Actually Realtek RTL8169 driver
)
- Wireless:
No selection

Fix:
No selections EXCEPT

- AppleSMBIOS: AppleSMBIOS Mac Pro

Video:
No selections EXCEPT

- NVinject:
NVinject 0.2.1 256MB

Applications: All selected

6. Double check "Customize" choices, then click "Install". When install begins, choose to (or not) skip the DVD verify process.

7. When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the HDD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the HDD and pressing Enter.

8. On the HDD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "-v -f" (without quotes) and wait as verbose booting takes place successfully except for "Couldn't allocate Class RTL8169" error (see later) into the Welcome screen video sequence BUT without sound (as expected since no audio driver installed)...... :rolleyes:

9. BUT when the "Before You Begin...." screen appears and the USB keyboard is identified, followed by the "Welcome" screen and the country choice is made, followed by "Select Your Keyboard" screen and the keyboard layout is chosen, all without any problems, followed by the "Do You Already Own a Mac?" screen, THEN making ANY selection, e.g. "Do not transfer my information now", and clicking the "Continue" button causes the system to hang (even though the mouse pointer can be moved) for a while BEFORE the Welcome screen video sequence loops again back to the "Before You Begin...." screen..... :rolleyes:

10. Solution: AFIK this solution is thanks to greyMD -

1. Run single user mode using the -s flag while booting i.e. type -s at the "boot:" prompt and wait for the prompt ":/ root#" to appear (I had to boot -s twice and press Enter after the static cursor appeared to get the prompt; you may not need to), type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for ":/ root#" to re-appear.

2. Mount the file system by typing "mount -uw /" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt.

3. Change the root password by typing "passwd root" at the ":/ root#" prompt and then typing in a new root password and retyping it again as requested.

4. Create the .AppleSetupDone file by typing

"touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt

5. Boot the system by typing "exit" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt.

11. Reboot from HDD with "-v -f" and the OS X Login screen is presented; enter "root" as Name and for Password, the root password chosen previously, and the system logs you in as System Administrator.

Having rebooted with -v -f successfully…. the System Profiler shows.....

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA,

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

plus 1152x870@75Hz resolution 32-bit Color depth with Hardware Accelerated CI and QE Supported.....

12. On setting 1280x1024@75Hz resolution in Display Preferences I get as usual a blank blue screen ("on-the-fly" resolution switching may not be feasible on LCD or CRT monitors with open source graphics drivers, such as NVinject, NVkush, NATIT and so on?....I have yet to try with a CRT monitor.....if it is, I am not yet aware of how to set it up. See UPDATE below:), so I rebooted with "-v" successfully (N.B. booting now with "-v -f" causes a system reboot!) without any hang-ups. The System Profiler shows 1280x1024@75Hz resolution 32-bit Color depth and 256MB VRAM with Hardware Accelerated CI and QE Supported….. :rolleyes:

UPDATE: To get switchable resolutions on-the-fly, try swapping the monitor DVI or VGA (via VGA-to-DVI adapter) connector to the other DVI port on the GFX card.....this tip, from cyclonefr, has worked for me.

13. At this point iDeneb v1 10.5.4 runs without any apparent problems, including USB devices and Firewire devices mounting/unmounting.....etc., EXCEPT for no audio and no Internet access (and hence no network file sharing).....In order to get full audio functions, I ran the Taruga_AD1988b_rev3_Installer package downloadable from http://wiki.taruga.net/tiki-index.php.....when online.... :rolleyes: or from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=30545..... :rolleyes:

14. Finally, to avoid any problems with the well known >3 GB RAM problem... :dev: ; see this thread by mtotho.....on many motherboards, if you install 4GB or more of RAM in Dual Channel mode, then you may get a kernel panic when the RAM usage exceeds 3GB (I have experienced this issue with 4, 5 and 6GB RAM installed, although in some fora it is suggested that with 6GB or 8GB RAM the issue may disappear.... :rolleyes: )

So, modify the com.apple.Boot.plist file as follows:

1. Go to the Terminal, and at the $ prompt, type in

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

2. Enter your password when requested. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor within the Terminal window.

3. Type in (without any spaces anywhere)

maxmem=3072

between <string> and </string> under <key>Kernel Flags</key>.

4. Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press Ctrl O and then Enter, to save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file.

5. Press Ctrl X to Exit and type "exit" at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal.

15. Go to System/Library/Extensions, and scan down extensions list to check for:

AppleCPUThermo.kext

AppleThermal.kext

and any other any *Thermal* kexts, if present; these should be removed as they can cause CPU overheating under OS X......

16. Now to fix the problem with Internet access find the IONetworkingFamily.kext....Show Package Contents and go to Contents and to Contents/Plugins.....here is the problem!.....ONLY the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext is present.....all the other necessary files are NOT IN the IONetworkingFamily.kext Contents folder, NOT EVEN on the install DVD....see below :graduated:

My Solution:

1. Insert
the JaS OsX86 10.5.4 Client/Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 Install DVD in the DVDRW again and ru
n Pacifist (located in iDeneb App folder in Applications), then click on "Open Apple Install Discs" and click "Choose" to open
the iDeneb v1 10.5.4 Intel/AMD Install DVD...wait for packages to load.....

N.B.
I have not been able to boot from my
JaS OsX86 10.5.4 Client/Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 Install DVD because booting hangs at "Still waiting for root device" boot error message......
:rolleyes:

BUT
it does have the
complete
IONetworkingFamily.kext, i.e. the full Package Contents.....
BUT
the
iDeneb v1 10.5.4 Intel/AMD Install DVD
does not
; its
IONetworkingFamily.kext
has a Contents folder with
only
a PlugIns folder containing the AppleUSBEthernet.kext!.....

2. Type "IONetworkingFamily" (without quotes) in Find window and press Enter.....Install the
IONetworkingFamily.kext to
System/Library/Extensions by clicking on "Install" in Pacifist and clicking "Replace" as and when requested.....

3. Repair Permissions and reboot with"-v -f".....the following message appears on Repairing Permissions:

ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library/Preferences"

ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library"

ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root"

but AFIK these are not messages to worry about unduly.....

Full Internet access is now obtained (see System Profiler under Network) together with LAN/WAN file sharing...... :rolleyes:

17. Download and run the iDeneb 10.5.4 - v1.1 Updater package which is now available as a .zip file...

18. Finally modify the "About This Mac" reporting of the CPU type to suit......Repair Permissions etc.....and create other User (Standard and/or Admin) Accounts..... :rolleyes: