HP dv6110us Install

annunaki

11 posts in this topic

Procedure I followed to install iDeneb 10.5.4 on HP Pavilion dv6110us with modbin kernel 9.4.0 using entire 100Gb HD:

Edit:

Leo4All v4.1 is installed exactly the same way, but already has the powermanagement bundle included.

First...my specs. Your system may differ in chipset, video or whatever. Some chipsets do not have a driver, yet, so if you have trouble with install, search the forum to see if someone has posted a fix for your particular hardware.

• Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 (dual core)
  • Processor Speed: 1.6 GHz
  • RAM: 1 GB
  • System Chipset: nForce Go 430
  • nVidia NForce MCP51 SATA Hard Disk / DVD.
  • BIOS Version: F.25
  • Video: nVidia GeForce Go 6150 128MB vram - updated in BIOS (15.4 inch Display)
  • USB 2.0
  • Wi-fi: Broadcom B/G WiFi
  • Wired ethernet - unknown
  • Sound: Intel High Definition Audio (Azalia)

Edit:

You will need these kexts later for wireless networking and screen resolution. Download and save to pen drive or whatever. Instructions included.(Originally posted by ..TheOne.. on page one of this thread)

- dv6000_Series_Lan_and_Video_Fix.zip

Optionally you can also download this PowerManagement.bundle to add the battery meter and some power management features. Instructions included. (Found on this thread by c_c)

Not needed for Leo4All v4.1 as it is already included in install.

- PowerManagement.zip

F10 on boot to go into BIOS

- Set a boot password (not BIOS password) if possible. (This helps prevent the com.apple.boot.plist error - thanks redash!)

- Increase vram in to max which is 128Mb (Optional, but really improves performance)

- Set Boot Order to boot from HD first

Before power on...connect USB mouse - leave keyboard disconnected for now

(The following process has to be done as quick as possible or you will get an error such as "com.apple.Boot.plist not found")

- Boot laptop and hit ESC at the ESC/F10 prompt

- Select boot from CD then hit ENTER

- Hit F8

- Type -v then hit ENTER

Have a USB keyboard ready and insert it approximately 5 seconds after the previous step. (This goofy process is probably only particular to this model HP. It may be much more straightforward for other models/chipsets. YMMV)

- Repeat process if you get stuck at "waiting for root device". This is where many people have trouble. Much of this has to do with the system having trouble with ps/2. The kexts on the DVD are not perfect yet for this chipset. You may have to play around with the USB mouse/keyboard combination (what and when to plug them in) to bypass this troublespot and force the system to load the USB ones. I know I tried a LOT of things to get past this stupid message.

- Afterwards, the system may appear to hang (or stop responding), but BE PATIENT. It just goes through the install slow in some places. I had to wait over 7 minutes on some installs.

Upon successfully entering into GUI install I went to Disk Utility, erased the entire 100GB drive & formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). (There are methods of dual or triple booting with Windows & Linux but I will not discuss this here. Search the forums.)

Continue setup.

Select Customize.

Options I selected that worked good for iDeneb (Thanks ..TheOne..):

- Additional fonts

- Select your language. English is already default so leave unchecked if you don't need others.

- Nforce Test driver (meDevil's kext for the motherboard & internal SATA drive support) (This is of utmost importance and I forgot to put this in the list)

- X11

- AMD Patch

- AppleAzaliaAudio

- Modbin Kernel 9.4.0 (Other kernels may work good, but I wanted 9.4.0. Tried the other kernels but there were no fixes. 9.2.0 Sleep really hurt the system)

- Broadcom Wireless

- Firewire kext removal - this laptop has no firewire anyway and it is said to speed up boot a little

- PS2Controller Fix - didn't make much of a difference with or without.

- Install all apps except Firefox. Firefox was customized in Italian so just skip this app & dl later unless you prefer Italian setup

Options I selected for Leo4All v4.1

- Chipset

---- NForce Test

---- VIA SIS Marvell & SB Chipset Driver (not sure if necessary)

- Audio

---- AzaliaAudio

- Graphics (NO DRIVERS SELECTED) - None of the options work for the GeForce Go 6150

- Network

---- Broadcom

- Remove Firewire

- "About this Mac"

- StageXNU kernel

- SMBIOS - Netkas

- ACPIPlatform 1.1.0

- EFI Bootloader

Install. Wait about 20 minutes. Reboot. Take disk out. Leave Keyboard and mouse connected.

Hit ESC, Enter to boot from HD, F8, -v, ENTER

Wait forever. Install should be good. Sound good. Network & screen resolution not good. After typical Apple GUI setup is done...

- Apply the GeForce Go 6150 and wireless kext fixes suggested by ..TheOne.. using Kext Helper (Applications/iDeneb App/Kext Helper)

- Do not reboot yet.

- (Optional, ymmv) Open OSX86Tools and enable Quartz GL for a nice speed enhancement. Just ran Xbench with and without QGL enabled. System benchmarked at about 50 regardless.

- Set boot time to 2 or 1 in com.apple.boot.plist using OSX86Tools or whatever method you like (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration)

- Set Kernel Flag in com.apple.Boot.plist to -v idlehalt=0 cpus=2. -v is important so you can see exactly how the system starts up, and where it hangs. idlehalt=0 cpus=2 will allow your sound to work properly and speed system up alot.

- Reboot

- Now screen can be changed to 1280x800

- Recommend to disable screensaver and deactivate computer, display & hard disk sleep functions in System Preferences. I believe they are the culprit to crashing the system intermittently.

---

Working:

- Sound - Works perfect as long as idlehalt=0 cpus=2 are passed as boot flags. *see UPDATE below

- Boot Time = exactly 2 minutes

- 1280x800 display

- USB

- Wireless (Light turns pink)

- Shutdown and reboot

- QuartzGL - Supported

- Trackpad with scroll / Keyboard / vol-mute buttons *see UPDATE below

- CD/DVD reads - writing not tested tho

- Screen Sharing :dev:

- Auvi WBT100 USB Bluetooth adapter works right out of the box

- Office 2008, iLife 08, iWork 08, iTunes and a bunch more

Not Working:

- Suspend/sleep

- Quartz Extreme - Not Supported

- Headphones

- System may crash or lock up at some random point forcing a reboot. It did so by itself last night. May be due to entering screensaver mode. Fixed with StageXNU kernel and disabling sleep. *see UPDATE below

- Most screensavers do not work. So far only "Computer Name" and "Flurry" work. Screensaver may crash system though. I expect this is due to the lack of QE/CI support.

- Roxio 9 installs but app will not start

- Front Row - Screen just goes black, but you can get back by hitting ESC.

Crippled:

- "About this Mac" shows "Total Number Of Cores: 1" - Other threads show this to be merely cosmetic. Activity Monitor shows 2 cores working so it's not technically crippled. StageXNU 9.4.0 kernel fixes this issue.

- Core Image - Software

- Keyboard, trackpad & vol-mute buttons work only when usb kb & usb mouse connected at boot. Can be unplugged after logged in. *see UPDATE below

- Hangs at boot for approx 5 minutes at IOKit message when usb keyboard & usb mouse not connected at boot. If connected at boot, no problem. System is fully booted in exactly 2 minutes :graduated:

Untested:

- mic input

- Wired ethernet - not tested but appears to be operational in System Profiler

- CD/DVD burning - Roxio installed but app would not start. I'll try a different method later.

- IR port

- VGA video output

- Modem

- PCMCIA card slot

- HP Expansion slot

*UPDATE:

Internal keyboard, trackpad and vol/mute buttons will only work properly if a usb keyboard & usb mouse are plugged in during boot. After system is up and running you can disconnect them. Also, my system occasionally crashes...goes to a black screen. It may happen when it goes into screensaver mode. I've tried to set the screensaver to never launch, but it does anyway. StageXNU kernel 9.4.0 fixed the crash issue.

It seems that I can boot properly with only the USB keyboard connected at startup, sometimes. I've read this to be true with other setups as well. Does anyone know of possible fixes for this issue? I believe the internal kb/trackpad are ps2.

Sometimes sound is ok, sometimes not, depending on how it boots up. If trackpad works, sound is bad. If trackpad is not working, sound is great. Not sure where the problem lies. I tried changing the vram settings in the BIOS, but nothing really worked there. Any ideas?

Sound is working fine now that I added idlehalt=0 cpus=2 as Kernel Flags in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
		 <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/Property/List-1.0.dtd">
		 <plist version="1.0">
					<dict>
								<key>Kernel</key>
								<string>mach_kernel</string>
								<key>Kernel Flags</key>
								<string>-v idlehalt=0 cpus=2</string>
								<key>Timeout</key>
								<string>2</string>
					</dict>
		 </plist>

Tried the different kernels, but none offered any fixes that I've been able to see. 9.2.0 Sleep kernel caused the most trouble, btw. I recommend sticking with the modbin version.

Replaced modbin kernel with StageXNU Kernel 9.4.0.

Not required for Leo4All v4.1 since StageXNU can be selected during install.

The StageXNU Kernel 9.4.0 for Intel/AMD SSE2 SSE3 fixes the single CPU irritation in System Profiler. It is also supposed to help the system be able to use sleep. When my system went to sleep, it never got back out of black screen. This kernel did, however fix the random system crash bug.

- New kernel on the block: StageXNU Kernel for OSx86 Released

- I used this for instructions to load kernel

Also, does anyone know of a power management fix that I can try? I've heard of some out there but can't find anything particular. I may try different kernels at some point, but that will have to wait for a bit.

Found a great fix for power management on this thread...here. Link to updated file are in the instructions above. Basically just have to replace the /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle then sudo chown -R /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle.

Good for iDeneb, but not required for Leo4All v4.1 since power management is installed by default.

Trackpad scroll is now working. The "fix", or workaround was found in this thread. Basically you can do one of 2 things...edit the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext, or delete it. I tried the edit method and it did not work at all for me. So, I went for the delete method. Now trackpad works and is customizable under System Preferences / Keyboard & Mouse / Mouse (not trackpad 'cause it ain't there no more). Still have to boot w/USB kb/mouse unfortunately.

- Go to /System/Library/Extensions/

- Back up ApplePS2Controller.kext

- Go to /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

- Delete ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

Please post your successes or fails with your dv6000 AMD in the following thread:

hp Pavilion dv6000 series AMD, A place to discuss issues, solutions and news on running Leopard.

• 3 weeks later...

wow.. running SOO SMOOTH!!! Great guide again. My system is running excellent by going straight by this. Only problem I got is...

- Set boot time to 2 or 1 in com.apple.boot.plist using OSX86Tools or whatever method you like (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration)- Set Kernel Flag in com.apple.Boot.plist to -v idlehalt=0 cpus=2. -v is important so you can see exactly how the system starts up, and where it hangs. idlehalt=0 cpus=2 will allow your sound to work properly and speed system up alot.
I don't know how to do this with OSX86Tools or anything else, and I can't seem to find out how to do it either. A link to a guide, or article on editing your .boot.plist stuff would be helpful.

wow.. running SOO SMOOTH!!! Great guide again. My system is running excellent by going straight by this. Only problem I got is...I don't know how to do this with OSX86Tools or anything else, and I can't seem to find out how to do it either. A link to a guide, or article on editing your .boot.plist stuff would be helpful.
Glad to help!Open terminalType: sudo suEnterType password then enterType: cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfigurationEnterType: vi com.apple.Boot.plistEnterType: i (that means insert text in vi)Find the place where it says <key>kernel Flags</key>Next line will read <string></string>You would add -v idlehalt=0 cpus=2 between the open and close string arguments.So now it would read <string>-v idlehalt=0 cpus=2</string>Insert the number of seconds in the Timeout string that you'd like to use...I used 1 second<string>1</string>When you are done, hit the ESC key...you should hear a beep.Type: wq!EnterThat means "Write, Quit, Bang...or 'make it so!'"Your com.apple.Boot.plist should look like the example in the blog.Repair your permissions...always a good thing to do :thumbsup_anim: Reboot.There are other methods that work too, I'm just used to vim because of Linux. Supposedly you can just open the file in textedit, edit it, then overwrite it using admin privileges. I haven't tried it. Others have used nano. It's like vi, but different. Maybe it's easier, I dunno. Just remember, if you use vim, and you make a mistake, it's ok. Just hit ESC, wait for the beep and type q! (meaning quit and don't make any changes). You can try again. When you are done, just open the file in Textedit or whatever to make sure it looks right.

• 3 months later...

Trying this guide out on my HP Pavillion DV2000zAMD 64 x 2Nforce 430Geforce 6150Broadcom Wireless(looks like almost identical to your specs)I am using the NEW iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5Do you know if NTinject for 6/7 series works?So far I can install fine, but then i can hung on boot at either :timed out waiting for iokit to quiesceormDns cannot read user-specified host name ..blah blah------have you tired iDeneb 1.3? I tried with just the normal iso, and then the patched one with the nForce patch. havent noticed a difference, not sure what it does.please let me know if you have used the new 1.3 iDeneb 10.5.5 and/or the nForce patch. Thanks alot

• 3 weeks later...
Trying this guide out on my HP Pavillion DV2000zAMD 64 x 2Nforce 430Geforce 6150Broadcom Wireless(looks like almost identical to your specs)I am using the NEW iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5Do you know if NTinject for 6/7 series works?So far I can install fine, but then i can hung on boot at either :timed out waiting for iokit to quiesceormDns cannot read user-specified host name ..blah blah------have you tired iDeneb 1.3? I tried with just the normal iso, and then the patched one with the nForce patch. havent noticed a difference, not sure what it does.please let me know if you have used the new 1.3 iDeneb 10.5.5 and/or the nForce patch. Thanks alot
I think the nForce patch is for nForce3. I don't know either. Also, anyone tried iPC 10.5.6 with this. I've selected these options (except remove firewire because there isn't one in iPC), but I still get the IOKit error (quiesce) and it completely freezes. I have a dv2120us with pretty much the same specs, except I have a TL-52, and it's a 14.1 inch screen. Also, does Leo4allv3 with this because I REALLY don't want to have to download yet ANOTHER distro. Thanks in advance.whizkid515

• 2 weeks later...

Okay! I am happy to report that I have a HackBook! I'm using Leo4allv4.1 with 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel, currently. I have a dv2120us, which is essentially the same computer in this guide, except I have more L2 cache in my processor and I have a 14 inch screen. Used this guide, and it works amazingly! THANK YOU!!! Also, anyone have ideas on why iPC 10.5.6 was giving me issues? I don't think FireWire caused all these problems for me. (iPC doesn't have a Remove Firewire option)

• 4 months later...

Thank you. Finally with this topic I install on my Compaq Presario V6210br and this working: Sound, WIFI, VIDEO 1280x800 32bit. Everything perfect. Very nice. I use Leo4all v4.1 with dv6000_Series_Lan_and_Video_Fix.Now, I need an AMD Driver for MAC my notebook is very hot because I change the processor. It was Sempron 3500+ and now I change to Turion 64 x2 TL60 2.0Ghz. Some body know if exist this driver?Sorry for my english. :angel:Imagem1.pngImagem3.pngNow with Update to 10.5.7 :lol:Imagem1.png

• 1 year later...