Bootable Installation

Adammg

7 posts in this topic

Almost all of the installations are based on a bootable DVD. However, some laptop owners have a conflict where the DVD won't boot on their machines and the only way around that is to use VMWare as a conduit to install OSX from the DVD onto the hard drive.

The most recent bootable iso is called "Mac OS X 10.4.7 AMD/Intel (JaS) ISO Repack"

Thanks RammJet, I have tried Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack. It will install but once everything is done installing and it goes to reboot, I take the CD out, and startup options using -v. It goes so far then freezes up. Can't figure out why though.

When installing to an empty hard drive where OSX will be the only OS on the drive, you need to make special preparation.

Use a Windows or Linux utility to format the drive as FAT32. This will establish the correct MBR partition scheme. Use that utility to set the partition for OSX to "active".

When you start the OSX installation, go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. You will be formatting your OSX partition. On the left side, you will see the hard drive listed with one partition listed below it. Click on the partition (not the hard drive) and on the right side, click the Erase tab. Be sure it is set to MacOS Extended Journaled and click the Erase button. Then quit Disk Utility.

In the installer, select your new OSX partition. When you get to the screen where you click the Install button, first click the Customize button and select packages for your computer. Click the little arrow in front of the patches category. Select Intel packages, not AMD. Select SSE2 or SSE3, not both, depending upon the capability of your processor. Select the Combo Update to get the latest OS version. Select other packages only if you are sure your computer needs them.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...ost&id=4499

What utility could I burn to a CD and boot up to that format the drive to FAT32? I don't have a floppy drive so making a start up disk is out.

The the stuff I need to install when I go to customized on the installer...Should I choose the Intel Combo or AMD combo? I am runnin an AMD 64 that supports SSE3 so I know to choose that and ATI chipset, need Via as well...but the others I am not sure of like the AMD Kernal or AMD Combo or Intel Combo.

On my last attempt to install, I got a registeration screen but keyboard and mouse wasn't workin. had to get a USB Mouse for the mouse to work but don't have a USB keyboard...Any suggestion?

Thanks

Adam

What utility could I burn to a CD and boot up to that format the drive to FAT32? I don't have a floppy drive so making a start up disk is out.

Why do you have to install it on a CD? Don't you have Windows installed on another hard drive? You can use Windows to format the hard drive. Or, you can download and use Acronis or Partition Magic. You can download the GParted Linux live iso and burn it. You can find Ultimate CD or Hiren's CD that have lots of utilities on them. You can use a Windows installer CD. Tell it to format the hard drive then abort the install.

The the stuff I need to install when I go to customized on the installer...Should I choose the Intel Combo or AMD combo? I am runnin an AMD 64 that supports SSE3 so I know to choose that and ATI chipset, need Via as well...but the others I am not sure of like the AMD Kernal or AMD Combo or Intel Combo.

Why in HELL would you consider installing an Intel package on an AMD machine? Especially when I said install only AMD or Intel, not both? Install ALL of the AMD packages. The VIA package is if you have a SATA controller with a VIA chipset. Do you have that? The ATI package is for an ATA (hard drive) controller chipset. Do you have that? Remember I said to install only what your computer can use?

On my last attempt to install, I got a registeration screen but keyboard and mouse wasn't workin. had to get a USB Mouse for the mouse to work but don't have a USB keyboard

Usually you either have to have a PS2 keyboard and mouse or a USB keyboard and mouse. No mixing. No USB mouse with a PS2 keyboard. Check your BIOS for PS2 settings or USB settings. Some keyboards come with a PS2 or USB adapter.

• 1 year later...
Usually you either have to have a PS2 keyboard and mouse or a USB keyboard and mouse. No mixing. No USB mouse with a PS2 keyboard. Check your BIOS for PS2 settings or USB settings. Some keyboards come with a PS2 or USB adapter.

For people that come across advice like this 2 years later like I did, please note that this has been fixed, but you must use the ps2fix that's floating aroudn here.