I'am from Mars, your from Venus,with dual firewire

rschultz101

2 posts in this topic

I'am from Mars, your from Venus,with dual firewire

AMS Venus DS3R, only 400 + usb, but rackmount,

since I got a bunch of disk, and usually don't need more than 2 at the same time I figured I'll give it a shot,....

well, usb ok, firewire, input/output error, after partition with usb port, since firewire was not recognized,....

go figure,... no drives , chipset from TI not from oxford, oxford chipset only for usb,...

dig,.... nothing found,... got it to work, with , intel GUID partition,... now works,...

emh,.. how is it,... well, noisy as hell, right now,.... 60mm fan a 6015L12C,

looks like a 5500rpm, 23cfm 39db fan from T & T,.... 15mm thick

will try to get a pabst fan with thermal sensor, the 25mm fan's won't fit,

after eject disks,.... the fan is still running,...

to remount drives, need diskutil,....

the power connector is some DIN, with key, comesof easy,... especially unplugging a firewire connector,...

the bottom is plastic,.... really needs some rubber there,

have not tried raid,... should work fine, since it's hardware,...

is not compatible with the plastic mobile racks , that look the same,

the venus aluminum trays, are open in the back, and the drives don't fully connect without screws,

and getting them out, is another story,... so if you don't want to use screws everytime,...

add a spacer/foam in the back end, don't forget a tape, once you pull out the tray, that the drive comes out,....

there is a firewire 800 version, but currently IDE only, a sata version should be on the way,

but who knows, when,..

there are bunch of others, pds2go, macally, lacie, metallgearbox,

differences,....

+ firewire 800

- 40mm fans,

- more open enclosure, noise

- no smoth surface, scratch other items in bag

- no handle

- no removable tray

-/+ RAID

- oxford chipset for firewire, TI is more compliant

what's next, get the trays for the desktop, so I can run them as sata drives,...

get a quiet fan with thermal sensor,...

design a new one, without fans, and drives completly sealed,....

comments welcome,

thanks, Robert

• 2 years later...
Guest iSAWaUFO
emh,.. how is it,... well, noisy as hell, right now,.... 60mm fan a 6015L12C,looks like a 5500rpm, 23cfm 39db fan from T & T,.... 15mm thickwill try to get a pabst fan with thermal sensor, the 25mm fan's won't fit,

I orded a replacement fan for the T&T 6015L12C, from AMSelectronics.comAs a replacement, they sent me aSUNON MagLevKDE1206PHV3 MS.A.GNDC12V =-= 0.6Wrated at 15.2 CFM3000 RPM25 dBASpecs: http://www.alliedelec.com/Images/Products/...NC/997-0532.PDF