OS X 10.9 myHack USB Installer Beta

224 posts in this topic

I'm typing this from Mavericks booted up on my GA-P35-DS3L. I have not been able to try out the latest Chameleon on the myHack installer yet, but still plan to. Video works fine with graphic enabler set to yes, but I had to use ##### to install the Lnx2Mac Realtek driver for ethernet. More when I know more.

@ILIusion: Core2Duo has been a requirement since Lion came out as the OS is 64bit only now. I believe there were some tweaks which would allow Lion to run on a Core Duo, but I've forgotten what they were by now!  :whistle:

Is there any insight you can offer me with this issue? Thanks

@ILIusion: Core2Duo has been a requirement since Lion came out as the OS is 64bit only now. I believe there were some tweaks which would allow Lion to run on a Core Duo, but I've forgotten what they were by now!  :whistle:

I understand that, but shouldn't be possible to still be able to install the new MyHack in my SL machine to, at least, make an installation USB for whatever other machine that runs 64-bit OS X? I, for example, was able to create an installation USB of 10.8 for a Core i3 MSI from my Core Duo using MyHack 3.1.2, but in case the same thing was to be attempted with Maverick, then the new version of MyHack is needed, as it supports the DP. I can't even try to make one, though, because the new MyHack won't run in my Core Duo.

@wws12: I think this could just be a bug that happens in 10.6.x systems. I hope Conti notices, so it can be fixed (in case it's indeed a bug and not a "Bad CPU").

Is there any insight you can offer me with this issue? Thanks

Certain versions of SL didn't work with a Core i3. This was fixed in later releases. Your system should have no problem running Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks, but just because it is capable does not mean it will. Give this method a try.. It's not that hard, but not as easy as myHack:

http://rochetechnology.com/quick-hackintosh-tip-installing-10-9-mavericks-developer-preview/

I listened to the entire video and then started and stopped it while I was making the installer flash drive. FYI it only worked on one of the 2 systems I tried it on so far, but I plan to try others when I have the time.

That guide sounds good, but unfortunately I need to install it on a MBR partition on one OS X partition only. Guess I'll have to wait for myHack to work properly...

Sorry, turns out I did an update to the drive I thought I was doing a clean install to. But it worked, so that was good. Now I'm trying a clean install, but I have your beach ball. How long did you wait for it to go away? Seems on one of my attempts I had it, but it went away after what seemed like forever. Funny how it works fine one time and then you try again on the same system and get a different result.

That guide sounds good, but unfortunately I need to install it on a MBR partition on one OS X partition only. Guess I'll have to wait for myHack to work properly...

It does work properly. MBR support is a unofficial add on so please do not say it does not work properly. He has considered dropping support all together for some time for MBR. 

It does work properly. MBR support is a unofficial add on so please do not say it does not work properly. He has considered dropping support all together for some time for MBR. 

Sorry, turns out I did an update to the drive I thought I was doing a clean install to. But it worked, so that was good. Now I'm trying a clean install, but I have your beach ball. How long did you wait for it to go away? Seems on one of my attempts I had it, but it went away after what seemed like forever. Funny how it works fine one time and then you try again on the same system and get a different result.

Could I use this method to install on a GUID formatted USB drive and then restore to my HDD?

Could I use this method to install on a GUID formatted USB drive and then restore to my HDD?

I can't promise it will work, but it should. I have used this method for MBR partitioned hard drives in the past. I use SuperDuper, but Carbon Copy Cloner should also work. You will have to install the proper Chameleon and boot file over to that partition. Let us know how it works out.

What system did you install this on? Also did you use the version of Chameleon which the myHack installer used or did you install a later version? 

I can't promise it will work, but it should. I have used this method for MBR partitioned hard drives in the past. I use SuperDuper, but Carbon Copy Cloner should also work. You will have to install the proper Chameleon and boot file over to that partition. Let us know how it works out.

What system did you install this on? Also did you use the version of Chameleon which the myHack installer used or did you install a later version? 

My main system:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/about/main-rig/

I never understood why tonymac or anyone else thinks is better for us to choose what they think is better.

I know he (my hack) is working hard and i thank him for that but if he can provide all settings for my hack he must do it so end user to choose.Anyway I'm not using it and just talking about mbr patch.

Sorry for my English

I never understood why tonymac or anyone else thinks is better for us to choose what they think is better.

I know he (my hack) is working hard and i thank him for that but if he can provide all settings for my hack he must do it so end user to choose.Anyway I'm not using it and just talking about mbr patch.

Sorry for my English

see, my friend, this is the first developer preview and everything is going just fine. basically nothing change in the installation process. so,  you don't need a MBR patch to install it, just do the regular process and install in a pendrive, after that, you restore the system to your MBR partition using the pendrive and the disk utility.

Thanks for the answer but i have already installed it  an on two computers without any problem and restoring it is a way of install but that is not what i said.

What does it mean unofficial?Lets not forget that we are trying to create or make a hackintosh.

Maybe the language as i said.

I have ML 8.4 installed on this HP 7700 duo core, I had to buy a USB audio the only problem. Great OS use it the most instead of win 8

I'm trying to install 10.9 with USB myhack .

At install > When it gets to the select install HD mode , nothing shows up but the USB drive . Same in utilties too.

thanks for any help

• Like 1

You don't need any third party app, just use the restore function of DiskUtility.

All the best!

OK fine, but what exactly do I need to restore to the USB drive? The whole 10.9 DMG? The BaseSystem DMG? Install 10.9 DP1.app? If one of you could quickly make a step by step guide outlining this process., it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

OK fine, but what exactly do I need to restore to the USB drive? The whole 10.9 DMG? The BaseSystem DMG? Install 10.9 DP1.app? If one of you could quickly make a step by step guide outlining this process., it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

1) You'll need two USB thumb drives, one for the MyHack installer, other (with at least 16 GB) for the OS itself;

2) Erase both thumb drives with DiskUtility, partitioning them as GUID partition table;

3) For the MyHack installer, use the instructions provided on MyHack home page;

4) When the installer is created, boot from it with both USB thumb drives connected to plain old USB 2.0 ports: never use the USB 3.0 ones;

5) When prompted to choose a disk to install, select your 16 GB+ thumb drive;

6) When the installation is done, boot to OSX from your current partition, open DiskUtility, select your 16 GB+ thumb drive, select the Restore tab, drag your 16 GB+ thumb drive as source and your intended MBR partition as destination;

7) When it's done, copy the extra folder from your current partition to the newly restored Mavericks partition. Also, copy FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement from your curent System/Library/Extensions to the S/L/E of the Mavericks partition;

8) Reboot with -v -f: you should be able to boot to Mavericks and be prompted to create your user account. Enjoy.

• Like 3

1) You'll need two USB thumb drives, one for the MyHack installer, other (with at least 16 GB) for the OS itself;

2) Erase both thumb drives with DiskUtility, partitioning them as GUID partition table;

3) For the MyHack installer, use the instructions provided on MyHack home page;

4) When the installer is created, boot from it with both USB thumb drives connected to plain old USB 2.0 ports: never use the USB 3.0 ones;

5) When prompted to choose a disk to install, select your 16 GB+ thumb drive;

6) When the installation is done, boot to OSX from your current partition, open DiskUtility, select your 16 GB+ thumb drive, select the Restore tab, drag your 16 GB+ thumb drive as source and your intended MBR partition as destination;

7) When it's done, copy the extra folder from your current partition to the newly restored Mavericks partition. Also, copy FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement from your curent System/Library/Extensions to the S/L/E of the Mavericks partition;

8) Reboot with -v -f: you should be able to boot to Mavericks and be prompted to create your user account. Enjoy.

Thank you very much, this is exactly what I needed. One thing though, when I run myHack 3.2 BETA 8 it gives me a BAD CPU error. :\ Any word on how to fix it?

You're welcome!

If you have an older than Core2Duo Intel CPU, there's no way to solve yet, sorry. If it's not the case, ask support in MyHack's home page. Good luck!

It's a Core i3-2120 with the legacy kernel under 10.6.3