Thoughts about Mavericks with Atom (yes, Atom)

88 posts in this topic

I've been trying to get something similar up and running with my Foxconn NT330i system... I got everything installed to disk and it boots -- once it gets through all the console output and is about to switch to the desktop the screen just goes blank... I can't figure out why!

Would anyone know why this would happen?

So far I put the null cpu management kext and the fakesmc kext in and I'm using this kernel: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/163-109-ivy-bridge-e-atom-lapic-fix-kernel/

Thanks for everyone's help!

I have installed Mavericks now on a Acer Revo R3700, using the lapfix kernel and no special flags..

QE/CI all looks good but slow as expected.

USB ok

No sound.

WiFi....No (Ralink chip set, needs 64bit drivers from OEM)

@aboveunrefined for the blank screen. Try the flag "GraphicsEnabler"=Yes

I had this issue initially which this flag fixed

I have installed Mavericks now on a Acer Revo R3700, using the lapfix kernel and no special flags.. QE/CI all looks good but slow as expected. USB ok No sound. WiFi....No (Ralink chip set, needs 64bit drivers from OEM) @aboveunrefined for the blank screen. Try the flag "GraphicsEnabler"=Yes I had this issue initially which this flag fixed

Thanks for the tip, while working with this I did find out all I really needed was GraphicsEnabler=Yes and USBLegacyOff=Yes

I'm not sure if you're in the same boat as me (I can't find jack about what the specific chipset is for sound), but for sound I ended up using a post installer and installed the Legacy variant of the ALC888 since my machine had an ALC888s in it. The built-in speaker doesn't seem to be working at all but at least I get output through the headphone jack.

Pretty much everything is working now, I just need to get the app store and other apple software working. Based on some posts I've read I need to add another flag containing the network card id and after adding that flag I end up in the same spot I was before with the blank screen so if I figure it out I'll follow up on here.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to get the app store to work with a patched kernel like this? Everything I'm trying seems to be yielding no results...

I get an error along the lines of "This device has not been authorized" while trying to sign into the app store (I'll update with the actual error once I can get to my machine...)

I'm also reading that it's not possible in other posts while querying throughout the www

Does anyone know whether it's possible to get the app store to work with a patched kernel like this? Everything I'm trying seems to be yielding no results...

I get an error along the lines of "This device has not been authorized" while trying to sign into the app store (I'll update with the actual error once I can get to my machine...)

I'm also reading that it's not possible in other posts while querying throughout the www

App Store is working for me without problems... iCloud services does not.... (iMessage, Calendar and Bookmarks Sync, Facetime)

Got 2 Foxconns NT330i myself and ended at the same position as you, system is working (no wifi or sound), appstore working but no Icloud. I have tried everything I could find on the net (renaming interface, using EFI tool to generate string to put into chameleon boot plist) but all caused the system to fail or crash, but never to a working Icloud. Keep getting the "communication" error. Quietly hoping it will be resolved with a new kernel ;-)

Successful progresss on my Jetway NC98-525E-LF.  I have used 10.9 Ivy Bridge-E, Atom & Lapic Fix Kernel kernel. meklort patcher (Patched mach_kernel 10.8.X for Atom CPUs) and any patched kernel in this thread didn't work.

I'm using GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IGPEnabler=No boot parameters.

Still testing. Don't like VLC Blu-Ray and Blu-ray 1080p rips playback on Mavericks. On Windows 7 SP1 x64 VLC play Blu-ray and 1080p rips excellent. I'm not 100% sure but Mavericks maybe don't support CUDA on ION2. Have installed latest CUDA drivers and use CUDA-Z to verify if CUDA works. CUDA-Z reports "No CUDA device found" after successful CUDA library load. Still testing.

Thanks.

theconnactic's atom_kernel works great for 10.9.  Has anyone updated to 10.9.1 and are still using this kernel?  I want to know before I try.  Also, 10.9.2 beta is out for developers.  Anyone try that with this kernel?  Do we need a new kernel for 10.9.x updates? 

Thanks.

Mac OS X 10.9.1 release has not updated kernel. You can use the same 10.9 kernel. I'm using 10.9 kernel on my 10.9.1 Mac OS X.

@aicragleon. What Atom system are you using? How do you get your system boot Mavericks?

Thanks.

Coool, I have a ZOTAC MAG HD-ND01 with an aton 330, ion graphics, and 4GB ram with graphics memory set to 512MB.  I installed Mavericks on an SSD from my normal desktop that was already running mavericks, then did an ##### install on it and put it in my ZOTAC.  I could not get it to boot on the ZOTAC until I used atom_kernel.zip from theconnactic on post # 16, page 1 of this thread. I don't have many boot flags, but I do have a device properties string in org.chameleon.boot.plist generated from OSX86Tools, but other methods work as well to get this string (ion = nvidia 9400 as far as I can tell).  I will try 10.9.1 with this kernel.  I do think the mach_kernel is changing in 10.9.2 since it is the new one with full unified MacPro6,1 support.  Also, audio works with the non-DSDT legacy ALC888 audio kexts from #####.  I had to open the case and check the writing on the actual audio chip, but it was ok since I had to swap out wifi cards anyway.  I installed a BCM943225HMB wireless N / BT 3.0 card that works with Toleda's kext called toledaARPT.kext.   Let me know if you have any other questions.  Also, I do not see a point in having a DSDT with this system since the atom 330 does not support powermanagement such as speedstep and turbo anyway and everything else seems to work without it, although I have not tested everything such as audio over HDMI or spdif audio, but I do not use them.  Ethernet works OOB which is nice for app store and the other apple services. This is a nice low power system I use mostly for overnight or 24/7 downloads and such.  

I can confirm that 10.9.1 update works perfectly fine on an Asus 1201N. I updated via App Store and after the reboot just reinstalled AppleHDA and repaired permissions with Kext Utility.

I wonder how are things on the KernelPatcher module update because I could really use those iCloud services.

• 1 month later...

I will pack the files this weekend....BUT i have to tell you that the files are the same from 10.8.5, with the exception of kernel.  The DSDT is hardcoded for 4GB memory

:) Please, share the files for the one's like me that are trying with no success.

:cry: I couldn't even get 10.8.5 to work (boot hangs after updating from 10.8.0) so I could use them for ML as well as I'm not lucky right now with Mavericks either.

;) Thank you people.

Has anybody success with Mavericks OS X 10.9.2 (13C64)!? Can't find updated binary patched kernel.

Nope. No success. I think we are stranded here. No kernel for 10.9.2 and I doubt the KernelPatcher update will arrive at all. I myself went back to 10.8.5

Might even work with a patched kernel - as long as you keep the OS as 10.9 or 10.9.1 and don't update to 10.9.2. But your GMA3150 will never be supported by any version of OSX, so forget about watching movies (youtube), playing games, using iLife and iWork and anything that needs graphics hardware acceleration (a.k.a QE/CI). Besides, because of the patched kernel, iCloud services will work only with complicated workarounds, and FaceTime/iMessage won't work by any means.

If all the above described issues doesn't bother you, go for it. But i'd recommend installing Mountain Lion, because that way you will be able to use the vanilla kernel with Chameleon's Kernel Patcher Module and FaceTime/iMessage/iCloud will work - but even in this scenario your GMA3150 won't be supported at all, so I suppose you shouldn't put OSX on this hardware.

All the best!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Successful progresss on my Jetway NC98-525E-LF.  I have used 10.9 Ivy Bridge-E, Atom & Lapic Fix Kernel kernel. meklort patcher (Patched mach_kernel 10.8.X for Atom CPUs) and any patched kernel in this thread didn't work.

I'm using GraphicsEnabler=Yes and IGPEnabler=No boot parameters.

Still testing. Don't like VLC Blu-Ray and Blu-ray 1080p rips playback on Mavericks. On Windows 7 SP1 x64 VLC play Blu-ray and 1080p rips excellent. I'm not 100% sure but Mavericks maybe don't support CUDA on ION2. Have installed latest CUDA drivers and use CUDA-Z to verify if CUDA works. CUDA-Z reports "No CUDA device found" after successful CUDA library load. Still testing.

Update. On Mavericks 10.9.1 with CUDA 5.5.47 driver for MAC CUDA-Z reports found ION2. But still no great performance compared to Windows 7 SP1 x64. Need to get working Mavericks 10.9.2. Then I can test Nvidia Offical Driver for Mavericks 10.9.2.

Thanks.