Thoughts about Mavericks with Atom (yes, Atom)

88 posts in this topic

I just installed Mavericks on my Atom-powered Asus 1201n. The installation method i used was cloning my successful installation on my main machine to a 16GB USB thumb drive, and then to a partition on my netbook, then adding fakesmc and nullcpupowermanagement, and installing Chameleon (r. 2171). Finally, i copied my working Extra folder from the main partition of my netbook to the new one.It sorta managed to boot - using -f - but it hangs right where the userland would, well, land. That means it's either something i missed - and i'm performing changes right now - or the kernel patcher module, that was our oasis with Mountain Lion, cannot handle Mavericks' kernel, which would be sad.I'll keep you all posted!

IMG_0046.JPG

• Like 1

Chameleon 2171? Why not latest rev? (2246 now)

http://forge.voodoop...e/changes/HEAD/

I have even created an alias in my dotfiles for pulling and compiling latest revision:

alias chameleon="svn co -r HEAD http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon/trunk && cd trunk && make && cd .. && echo Done, launching Chameleon Wizard! && open /Applications/Utilities/Chameleon\ Wizard.app && exit"

I'm now hunting for DP1 MBR patch. Besides that I've got everything prepared for my 1201N.

Edit:

Very imaginative, but I prefer to wait a while and install directly to my chosen partition, than struggle later with incorrect paths, "still waiting for root dev", etc.

Anyway, thanks for a clever tip how to do it eventually in the future.

Edited by Mestiso
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying, no luck! Stops at the same place no matter what i do. Seems to confirm the kernel patcher needs a refresh for Mavericks, but i'm starting to wonder, given the recent information, it could be also some protection in the kernel, akin to the new code signature rules for Mavericks' kexts. Investigating further...

All the best!

I had a try with the latest Pandora on the Mavericks installer dmg rather than copying an existing installation. Mine is a Zotac with ION2. It got past DSMOS and stopped just after failing to initialise bluetooth, which mine doesn't have (probably because I picked a Mac Mini smbios.plist), so roughly just about where you got to on yours.

• Like 1

No, splonk, you got way farther - here it stops right before launchd. Did you use the kernel patcher module of Chameleon? Or installed as is using the vanilla kernel? I'm really curious. If the kernel patcher module got you that far, that means ION 2 systems have some features original ION lacks, making the boot process hang for the latter. Perhaps it's the sse4.2 instructions, which the N330 surely doesn't support?

I think you are very very close to get your system up and running: if the boot is hanging at bluetooth, after DSMOS, the issue has nothing really to do with bluetooth, but everything to do with graphics. Try to use GraphicsEnabler=No, then Yes if No doesn't work, and as a last ditch attempt try to boot after deleting all graphics-related kexts.

All the best!

P.S.: to all: does anyone know if the XNU sources for any DP Mavericks is already out?

All the best!

It runs the patched Atom kernel - patched-2422.1.4.1.8~1/RELEASE_X86/64     Pandora incorporates Chameleon so it examines and patches on the fly as necessary. Need to run with an npci flag or it gets stuck on PCI Configuration. My cpu is a D510. Original plist did not have GE. Once enabled, it detected the ION2 and loaded all relevant kexts without complaint but still hung at the same point.

Tried deleting the ATI and NV kexts with GE off, still no go. Unfortunately, no logs are created on the installer so I cannot see exactly what is causing the problem. The only thing I can see is that AppleHDAController does not get loaded, otherwise all ok. HFS mounts the selected root device and then hangs. Before deleting the gpu kexts it would try to initialise bluetooth and then hang. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Screenshot as requested

No, it crashes exactly at the same point as with my netbook: it's either a kernel patcher module failure - it was made for Mountain Lion, so it was kind of expected - or a codesign issue because we tampered with the kernel. Without sources, there's no way to know, but i tried something, as will post later.

Im thinking it is Kernel or loginwindow issue.

Kernel, yes: loginwindow, hardly.

Today i tried to boot again with the kernel patcher module and DP5, but this time i tried a method that enable AMD users to boot Mavericks up to single user access (-s): replaced the DP5 dylibs by the ones from 10.8.4. It indeed went further, but not to the point i had single user access, so we're still at square one.

All the best!

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to chime in and say that my experiences with getting Mavericks running on Intel Atom AT5IONT-I (D525 CPU w/ ION2) are the same as the above screenshot, it hangs just right before the launchd daemon.

I, too, am using the Kernel Patcher module within Chameleon to get it to boot.

I haven't tried anything else other than the basic troubleshooting steps (e.g., various Chameleon options and arguments).  

• Like 1

Great news!

I've been trying to run Mavericks on my 1201n since it was seeded as a preview, with no success: the kernel patcher module from Chameleon clearly needs to be updated, and since it's not developed by the Chameleon team itself, but by a third party development company (meklort's xZenue LCC), we haven't yet any ETA for this update. I tried the old kernel patcher from meklort, but also met with no success (which was expected, since it shares the same code with the kernel patcher module). So we've been stuck with Mountain Lion for quite a while.

As some of you might know, i'm deeply involved with AMD kernel development - and I'm currently the AMD Development forum moderator - and we managed to boot some AMD machines with a couple of beta kernels. These kernels are quite AMD-specific, and in fact i tried them with my 1201n, but they didn't work. However, one of our leading developers, Andy Vandjick, doesn't have an AMD machine, so he has been trying to make his patches as much CPU-agnostic as possible, and indeed his old AMD kernels for Mountain Lion and  Snow Leopard also included support for legacy Intel hardware. Last week, he adapted his patch set for Mavericks, and since he didn't install the necessary new Xcode, i have to build the binaries for him. The resultant kernel didn't work, but brought relevant insights for the current beta kernels for AMD.

Well, knowing Andy's history of enabling legacy Intel support for his kernels, and also knowing he has been using essentially the same base patch set across OSX iterations, i decided to experiment with his kernel, even a little skeptical - since it didn't met its goals, that is, boot on AMD. Then, today, for my greatest surprise, after a few attempts, it worked, and i manage to install mavericks on my 1201n!

I didn't do many things with my Mavericks partition since then, and i expect all iCloud-based services not to be working, since that's the rule with kernels compiled from the XNU sources, but hey!, that's a real deal! Hope you all try it! Here's our kernel: atom_kernel.zip

• Like 5

Great news!

I've been trying to run Mavericks on my 1201n since it was seeded as a preview, with no success: the kernel patcher module from Chameleon clearly needs to be updated, and since it's not developed by the Chameleon team itself, but by a third party development company (meklort's xZenue LCC), we haven't yet any ETA for this update. I tried the old kernel patcher from meklort, but also met with no success (which was expected, since it shares the same code with the kernel patcher module). So we've been stuck with Mountain Lion for quite a while.

As some of you might know, i'm deeply involved with AMD kernel development - and I'm currently the AMD Development forum moderator - and we managed to boot some AMD machines with a couple of beta kernels. These kernels are quite AMD-specific, and in fact i tried them with my 1201n, but they didn't work. However, one of our leading developers, Andy Vandjick, doesn't have an AMD machine, so he has been trying to make his patches as much CPU-agnostic as possible, and indeed his old AMD kernels for Mountain Lion and  Snow Leopard also included support for legacy Intel hardware. Last week, he adapted his patch set for Mavericks, and since he didn't install the necessary new Xcode, i have to build the binaries for him. The resultant kernel didn't work, but brought relevant insights for the current beta kernels for AMD.

Well, knowing Andy's history of enabling legacy Intel support for his kernels, and also knowing he has been using essentially the same base patch set across OSX iterations, i decided to experiment with his kernel, even a little skeptical - since it didn't met its goals, that is, boot on AMD. Then, today, for my greatest surprise, after a few attempts, it worked, and i manage to install mavericks on my 1201n!

I didn't do many things with my Mavericks partition since then, and i expect all iCloud-based services not to be working, since that's the rule with kernels compiled from the XNU sources, but hey!, that's a real deal! Hope you all try it! Here's our kernel: atom_kernel.zip

That's good news! :D

This means I can try installing this on my Acer Aspire One D257 =P

• Like 1

It work for me, but I need to boot with kernel flag "UseKernelCache=No", other wise hangs on boot, I don't know how to post a picture where it hangs. My pc has an atom 525 with Ion2, everything works oob.

I just replace my /E and my startup folder I have in my other hackintosh and now runs flawlessly.

• Like 1

i have the at5iont-i, care to share about the installation process?

I have a jetway minitop (model:JBC600C99-52W).

Make your usb following the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] procedure, replace the kernel with the theconnactic kernel. when finish the installation, boot from your usb to boot from your HD, install the chamelon bootloader to your HD.

theconnactic, there did you get atom_kernel.zip kernel?
I get

In case you read this has been kernel panic.
There is no {censored} support for running Lion on AMD.
You have to try fixing this yourself.

message after some time when booted to Mac OS X.

I have a problem with asrock ion a300 , i have use the method of pepetato in this post, i've added the atom kernel renamed in mach_kernel.

I have deleted the original kernel, but when i boot in -v after a lot of time the pc restart.

I have tried with -x, -v, -v npci=0x2000 , GraphicsEnabler=Yes / no ,....

I don't want give up!!!!

Please help me :)