Mountain Lion HP Pavilion dv6-7104ea drivers help

21 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get my HP Laptop converted from its "Windows 7 certifed bla bla" to Mac OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion.

I have had no end of problems getting the installer to even boot up... Even more problems getting it to install and a hell of a lot of problems getting it boot the OS after installing it.

However it is now installed and I'm in the process of trying to set everything up (devices drivers whatever).

Heres what I've managed to get working so far:

* HD4000 Graphics (QE/CI working great runs Skyrim silky smooth on high graphics)

* Sound

* Touchpad

* Keyboard

* USB 2.0 port

* Ethernet (LAN cable not wifi)

* Battery %

* Sleep

* USB2.0 Slots (devices and usb sticks can be plugged and unplugged repeatedly with no problems)

Here's what I need help getting working:

* Need USB3.0 ports to work so devices can be placed into them (i tried the most common USB3.0 stuff but they just destroy my hackintosh and require a backup) (NOTE - If I dont patch the USB3.0 i can use 3.0 devices but NOT 2.0 devices... Currently I have patched it so i can use USB 2.0 devices but not 3.0 devices (since i don't need USB3.0 devices as yet....)).

* Need Wireless internet working the card is "Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230" but from what I'm told its not possible to do that yet?

(Can somebody show me link to a Wifi USB stick I can buy from ebay.co.uk (I'm in England) that I can buy that will give the laptop the use of wifi again?)

* VGA socket produces a very messed up image

* HDMI socket has no sound but video is perfect

* Microphone doesn't seem to work maybe there is a kext to fix that?

Wishlist:

* Get the nVidia 630 M working somehow (the laptop has an HD4000 and a Nvidia 630M in windows you can select which one to use when you start a program however in MacOS I was unable to have both cards at same time without major kernel panics so I had to remove all references to the Nvidia 630M and just focus on the HD4000.) the HD4000 is not that bad of a chip on windows it can play Skyrim at full FPS so it should be OK to use that for time being....

I consider the above to be most important and upon completion the system will be quite functional and user friendly.

The final thing to solve will be any software problems such as iCloud or anything that may or may not be working.

Hi,

Please take notice of the following: http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/

Search for the following kext: AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

Add it to the Extra folder on the USB, boot with -f -v.

lol well fair enough but I'm not into such politics I'm only interested in getting MacOSX working.

I'm quite happy to follow any guide you can give me that will work......... The problem I'm getting is the hard disk is not detected by Disk Utility and on HP Laptops they don't allow you to change AHCI settings etc.

I have tried IOATAFamily.kext.zip and IOATAFamily.kext (Lion).zip both of which didnt work (as noted in first post).

Is that the same as the one you posted?

I tried every file I could find that matched or partially matched the name you put and nothing worked.

Still no hard disks in Disk Utilitiy I'm about ready to put MacOSX in the *Windows 8* pile of bad words and impossible stuff lol.

Surely there must be a way to fix this????

Here is some information about Pandora's Box: http://www.insanelym...-beta1-testing/

A guide on how to create an installer can be found here: http://www.insanelym...-for-beginners/

This is the old way, Pandora will automate the steps for you. (Comes with an AHCI injector :) )

The kext i suggested is not the same as you've tried.

Remember, if you add kexts to the Extra folder on the USB, you have to boot with -f -v.

-f Skips the kernel cache, so the Extra kexts will be loaded.

What HP model do you own? Perhaps there is already a guide for it here: http://www.insanelym...llation-guides/

Hope this helps.

Do this go to your bios and make sure your hard drive is set to AHIC reboot you should see it then.

I'm not completely stupid I've used Windows since 3.1 and I used Amiga prior to that.

I followed at least 10+ guides to the letter and did every troubleshooting thing they suggested before even coming here and asking for any help.

The BIOS on the Laptop does NOT have any "Advanced" menu to set stuff like AHCI and there is no hacked bios to use with it.

An interesting sidenote is the Disk Utility does not even seen USB hard drives I insert (it only sees the USB stick its installing from).

Maybe that implies the problem might not be AHCI related? Or is it? I dunno I've never setup a Hackintosh before but I would love to get it working..... Hell its a lot cheaper than buying a MacBook omg £2,5000 vs £600 for PC identical specs?

Right now I'm running MacOSX MT and SL in VMWARE and its working great even Photoshop CS6 etc works just fine.

Prior to last week I had never looked at MacOS so its all new to me and to be frank it seems quite nice..... It can even run Windows stuff relatively well.

Of course Windows has gone downhill with this WIndows 8 nonsense and Microsoft shows no signs of getting rid of this horror show therefor I must eventually move to a different system admittedly I dislike Linux the MacOS is a lot better IMO.

My laptops specs are not too bad decent i7, Nvidia 630m, 8 GB ram etc for a Mac with same specs the price is just WTF unrealistic...

Here is some information about Pandora's Box: http://www.insanelym...-beta1-testing/

A guide on how to create an installer can be found here: http://www.insanelym...-for-beginners/

This is the old way, Pandora will automate the steps for you. (Comes with an AHCI injector :) )

The kext i suggested is not the same as you've tried.

Remember, if you add kexts to the Extra folder on the USB, you have to boot with -f -v.

-f Skips the kernel cache, so the Extra kexts will be loaded.

What HP model do you own? Perhaps there is already a guide for it here: http://www.insanelym...llation-guides/

Hope this helps.

I posted the full model and all specs in my first post but I will paste it here as well

HP Pavilion DV6-7104EA

http://britaincloud....-dv67104ea.html

----

The guide looks promising heres a quote

"Hold your horses, because goddamn HP doesn't let us change the SATA mode of our hard drive to AHCI, we must make due with the mode it comes in (RAID). Who the hell uses RAID, especially for one and only one hard drive... Whatever, anyway you need a modified version of the SATA controller kext in order for your hard drive to be detected by the OSX installer on myHack. Get it here."

Interesting.....

So my laptop must be using RAID for hard disks so my attempts to make AHCI kexts didnt work because the drives arent even in IDE mode.... Dear god....

I will try this guide

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283609-guide-hp-pavilion-m6-1045dx-mountain-lion/

Its not the same laptop but its SIMILAR .... maybe you can find a guide thats more perfect to my HP model?

Hi!

It involves a bit of work, but if the kext injectors (or AHCH injectors) don't work, you can make a custom DSDT file, which sets up your hardware properly! I'm typing this on Linux from my Asus A8JR with no AHCI in BIOS, and SATA set to IDE mode, but I modded my DSDT file and it now boots in AHCI mode in Linux (and Mac OS X!). Unfortunately that wasn't my problem, and I still can't get to the Apple logo! :/

If things keep getting stuck and you can't get it to recognise the disks, I could have a go at making a modded DSDT file for you - PM me if needed!

HEY! I got the hard disk to appear in Disk Utility by following this guide:

http://www.insanelym...-mountain-lion/

I had to add a new kext that allowed the installer to see the hard drive on RAID mode (AHCI was never the problem!)

So yea im gonna try install it and see what happens... Most likely i will get a new problem immediately after installing but oh well i might as well try.....

Oh yea i had to use the lepic kernel patch to get the installer to boot up without a kernel panic.

So lets see how it goes with the install...

jommoner - If you think your method is the most stable way for the system then the method im using from the Guide then yes it would be great to help i can provide teamviewer to a Mac where you can make changes to the usb installer (and use any apps to gather information on the hardware i can also boot into an XP or Linux if you need futher hardware tools that only exist on them.... whateva it takes to get MacOS working im in for it) and i can provide skype for video call during installing and testing on the computer.....

EDIT - Ok i installed ML but when i try boot i get an error it appears as so:

I managed to get the installer to appear by using lepic kernel patcher and the "AppleAHCIPort.kext" which allows my hard disk to be visible....

Then when i try boot up it stops at *waiting for root device* ...... any ideas?

HEY Great news people i managed to get to my mac desktop!

Im using the leptic kernel patcher and AppleAHCIPort.kext so my RAID hard drive appears as AHCI to the Mac.....

Now i need help setting up drivers , video, sound etc etc also my touchpad and laptop keyboard stopped working i have to use usb keyboard/mouse/ethernet.....

I say again the Mac boots up and works its just a matter of installing the drivers and i aint got a clue how to go about setting that up.... Took me a week just to get the mac to boot the desktop lol.

You can see what devices i have in the top link.

If you can recommend programs to run to get information so you can tell me what kexts or pkgs to install please do.... I also need to know which HD4000 to select.... (i had to delete all nvidia drivers/extentions to avoid a deathscreen on graphicsenabler so for the moment my lappy is limited ot the hd4000 rather than the nvidia 630m which is unfortunate but its more important to get everything else working before even considering tinkering with that....)

Who is willing to help me get all drivers or as many as i can working?

Drivers needed:

The laptops touchpad and keyboard worked during installer but not at boot up and inside the mac os.......(now only usb keyboard/mouse works)

No network is working (not ethernet or wifi)

Bluetooth works so i can use internet through that for the moment....

The intel HD4000 is working in max resolution but is low fps and lacking 3d etc.

That would be a good start.....

Followed by

System hangs on device inserted/removed from USB at the macOS desktop would be nice to fix that somehow

• Like 1

Surely somebody is willing to help get the devices (network, battery %, hd4000, usb3.0 and systme not locking up when a usb stick is inserted.... etc) ?

Is there a program that contains a huge database of packages that auto finds stuff you need? or at leaast has a wide selection that makes it easy with instructions on how to pick the right one?

Edit - I got the trackpad and internal keyboard (the keyboard attached to laptop) working by using TRACKPAD.SYNAPTIC-GESTURE.zip

But that still leaves a lot of stuff that needs doing.... help would be nice.....

Pandora's Box, it comes also with a post installation tool :P

- Intel HD4000: You can do this by adding method DSM to the DSDT.aml file. If you do not have a DSDT, have a look here: http://www.insanelym...ig-platform-id/ 3 or 4 is a good choice to start with.

I recommend typing HD4K-ig=4 as a boot flag, if it works, you can add it to the boot.plist, if not, you can reboot and still boot into the desktop.

- For the USB hang, try the kexts i have attached, it's a rollback. Install them using Kext Drop or a similar application. See if it solves the hanging.

- Wifi, what i get from the URL with the specs, it is an Intel card, which will not work anytime soon, i recommend replacing it with a compatible adapter, they start at $5 and up on Ebay, Atheros is a good choice. Note that your bluetooth device will not work anymore after that.

- Ethernet: Mind having a look in Windows, under device manager? Thank you.

Missed the url to the specs earlier, sorry.

Edit: Battery attached.

Archief.zip

battery.zip

Pandora's Box, it comes also with a post installation tool :P

- Intel HD4000: You can do this by adding method DSM to the DSDT.aml file. If you do not have a DSDT, have a look here: http://www.insanelym...ig-platform-id/ 3 or 4 is a good choice to start with.

I recommend typing HD4K-ig=4 as a boot flag, if it works, you can add it to the boot.plist, if not, you can reboot and still boot into the desktop.

- For the USB hang, try the kexts i have attached, it's a rollback. Install them using Kext Drop or a similar application. See if it solves the hanging.

- Wifi, what i get from the URL with the specs, it is an Intel card, which will not work anytime soon, i recommend replacing it with a compatible adapter, they start at $5 and up on Ebay, Atheros is a good choice. Note that your bluetooth device will not work anymore after that.

- Ethernet: Mind having a look in Windows, under device manager? Thank you.

Missed the url to the specs earlier, sorry.

Edit: Battery attached.

Ethernet is not working (yet the light is on meaning there must be some form of connection).

However Wifi will be lacking for sure......

The main issues atm are:

* HD4000 not working its acting like a SVGA from 90s lol (yet its not a bad chip it can play skyrim silky smooth on windows.... it should be capble on a hackintosh right?)

* The i7 CPU needs to be running proper at good specs (what mac model would you suggest? or kexts ? i set it to Macbook pro 9 i believe....)

* Ethernet is not working

* Wifi not working (im aware you can buy a $10 dongle off ebay and solve the wifi problem but i want THE wifi card working not some ebay nonsense)

* If you plug in a SD card while at desktop whole system will lock up and need powercut

* USB3.0 slots dont work at all (even with usb2.0 items)

* Would like to be able to use all usb slots and addremove devices from them......

I suppose thats about it really the MAIN issues at least lol.

Pandora has a tool like [bad tony postboot] ?? ( [bad tony postboot] is useless for me since it doesnt have anything i find useful...) i can run post-install? Since i dont want to have to create new ML install media... mine is working and it does install and it took almost a week to get it to that point i dont want to mess that up at least ;p

You seem to know your stuff... Do you have skype? would you like to assist directly? As i said previously i can give teamviewer to a windows XP or macOS on the computer im trying to setup..... I assume then you can install and mess about and find stuff to do and fix things? im still learning ;p

Pandora has a tool like that, except it works correctly :P

Well. about the Wifi, as i said, if it is an Intel card, it will not work, and not anytime soon, period :)

As you can see, i have an i7 also, the 10,1 or 9,2 smbios.plist have worked great for me untill now.

The HD4000, have a look on what you need to inject, if you have that value, we can later inject it to a DSDT perhaps.

For USB 3.0, have a look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/

Now, to extract a DSDT, have a look at the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK8sHsQ-76Q

You can attach it here if you want, because it will need patching before it works. The file contains your hardware information, some of the hardware (like HD4000) can be injected into the native OS X kexts this way. Saves a lot of trouble when you update the system.

I have no idea about the card reader, perhaps there is another kext that will resolve this issue. Perhaps the problem resolves itself with a DSDT.

I do have Skype, it's in my profile. I could assist directly, but that would mean that other users can not benefit from the solutions provided. Like you said,

I'm still learning
, so do others, i'm providing the resources, in this topic, and i like to keep it that way :)

Wireless is "Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 so i guess thats impossible to get working.... Will need a small wifi usb plug?

Edit - I got the Ethernet working using the Realtek 81xxxx drivers from Pandora.

Edit - I got the HD4000 working! using "device-properties" and "legacyAGPM.kext"

Edit - I got sound working! using

Whats needed:

* Need battery % to work!

* Need SLEEP to work!

* Need USB3.0 ports to work!

* Need to avoid system lockup on inserting a SD card into USB2.0 slot

* Need the WINDOWS key to become the MAC key (currently its ALT ffs?) this seems to be caused by HP laptops having an extra FUNCTION key.... There must be a way to remap the keyboard so WINDOWS key becomes ALT and ALT becomes WINDOWS key (that would probably fix it)

Can you rename my topic to "Mountain Lion HP Pavilion dv6-7104ea drivers help" or something along them lines? Ive gone past needing help to install the OS but now i need help getting all devices working....

lol well fair enough but I'm not into such politics I'm only interested in getting MacOSX working.

I'm quite happy to follow any guide you can give me that will work.........

It is not a matter of politics. It is a matter of forum rules and yoiu could be banned for deliberately disregarding them.

It is not a matter of politics. It is a matter of forum rules and yoiu could be banned for deliberately disregarding them.

When was anything disregarded ? That would imply I knew beforehand which wasn't the case (It was my assumption that everybody was on the same team when it came to hackintosh it actually came as a surprise to find out that's not so) and any talk/ref/link/chat directed in that direction never happened after I knew also I clearly wasn't serious when I said politics I did include a "lol" to try stress that maybe a smiley face (or a bunch of them) would have been better.

Still after reading your page on tony I do agree (due to face he gets a lot of money out of other peoples work and if you buy something on amazon using a link he gives you he gets a nice cut or something right?) with its assessment of him.

I plan to eventually make a nice guide for this laptop model but right now not enough stuff works I think once the USB problem and Battery problem are solved it will be capable for sure.

Oh yea I got banned on tonys website when I asked for help there they asked me what I've already tried and then they banned because I mentioned a pirate distro I tried in vain attempt to get OSX working.

Like wtf? I wasn't promoting anything I was simply answering their question of what I have already tried to do if ANYTHING I was denouncing that pirate release as non-working {censored} that did nothing for me lol.

That is big time hypocrisy from tony. If you own a copy of OS X there no piracy involved, regardless of the method you use. It is "only" breach of EULA.

He is a member here and he is free to express himself. Why doesn't he explain me why his method is not piracy and a distro is?

It was my assumption that everybody was on the same team when it came to hackintosh it actually came as a surprise to find out that's not so

No, because they hardly ever contribute code. They prefer to steal it.

That is big time hypocrisy from tony. If you own a copy of OS X there no piracy involved, regardless of the method you use. It is "only" breach of EULA.

He is a member here and he is free to express himself. Why doesn't he explain me why his method is not piracy and a distro is?

No, because they hardly ever contribute code. They prefer to steal it.

I'm not sure on the technicalities of the user agreement with MacOS but I assume it will say it must only be used on Apple licensed hardware such as a MacBook Pro.

Realistically I think Apple could benefit from making MacOS install as easy as Windows especially with the Windows 8 debacle and many Windows users desperately seeking an alternative (Linux usage is going up as a result of Windows 8). In the long run Apple would benefit from such users perhaps from it's stores like iTunes, AppStore and of course the sale of future OSX releases. Fat chance of that ever happening though just a dream lol.

Apparently I'm not *Hip* enough to have the money for Apples stuff.

Even at the best of times I can after scraping the bottom of the barrel afford a decent PC or an old obsolete Mac.

I heard rumors about Osx86 and Hackintoshes for quite sometime now but never once cared enough to look into it.

I made a comment to a friend that I would rather use a Mac than WIndows 8 when asked if I even know if a Mac was better or not I didn't really but after playing around in VMWare with some OSX 10.8.3 I got interested and had to try it for real on my lappy.

So far the results are pretty promising the gaphics is working great 3D accelerated programs/games etc work silky smooth.

All cores and even the hyperthreads seem to be detected and worked (at least according to a benchmark thing I used).

Sound is working fine in full quality same as in Windows 7.

Touchpad works great even two finger scroll etc is fine.

Keyboard is fine.

Ethernet is fine.

So overall it is functional and proves to me Hackintosh is fun and viable and I like the community and how people are helping to get devices and stuff working properly without the community I couldn't have even got the Installer to appear (My hardrive is locked in SATA RAID by BIOS and cannot be changed to AHCI).

I have not used Pandora's Box installer yet but I have used the Post Installation and its very nice makes tony's thing totally obsolete in comparison.

So far I like the MacOSX better than Windows in terms of:

* Style, interface, launcher tools etc like Alfred, Hyperdock and what not.

* Has many unique programs/games that are not available on Windows.

* Can virtulize WIndows infinitely better than Windows can visualize Mac (3D support etc).

* Can run most Windows applications/games right within any of the various Wine based programs.

* Many programs/games also have a Mac port now a days anyway.

* More secure than Windows......Although that's hardly an accomplishment.

* I can do everything I do in Windows on the MacOS (YouTube, Games(all games I play work on Mac native or wine), Torrenting (uTorrent), whatever else).

So I think I would rather create a Hackintosh than a Windows PC now a days the benefits of a working Hackintosh are worth it.

Once I get the laptop working as good as possible I plan to try something more or equally challenging and getting an AMD desktop to function as a Hackintosh.... Ooooo.

Thanks for the great help and community!

• Like 1

I have a strange problem when I have UseKernelCache=Yes (even after a rebuild) my battery % doesnt work and getBattery() fails every time.

BUT! When I use UseKernelCache=No the battery % works fine and full power management works properly....

Any ideas why? and how to fix it?

Edit = I just modified the boot plist to automaticlaly do -f and usekernelcache=no this seems to work fine and the system boots up in around 30 seconds with battery % working just fine.