(Solved)Mouse and Keyboard stop working -after- installation...Ideas?

2 posts in this topic

A few others have apparently had this 'mouse/keyboard stop working' problem but I've not found any definitive answer or way to resolve it, so I'd appreciate any help or ideas. I can also understand now (to my chagrin) that InsanelyMac doesn't support that other T**yM*cx86 site. Unfortunately I did use a couple of their utilities..maybe that's the problem..but if anyone can follow my outline here and help with the overall problem, I humbly appreciate it.

I used the UniBe*** boot-drive utility to install Mountain Lion 10.8.3 (on an MSI X58 Platinum with GeForce GTX 260, i7)...needed only PCIRootUID=0...and after that everything seemed to go more or less perfectly. After installation and it reboots the first time, with the USB boot drive still inserted I can boot into OS X and continue. It looks great and, as far as I can tell, at this point my mouse and keyboard and network all are working...only audio is not.

I fired up MultiB**** (latest version) and, because I have no DSDT, checked the EasyB*** option and then selected the Realtek '888' audio drivers, which I have, the network driver, and a couple of other things, such as SATA trim, but nothing I didn't know and didn't think was needed. (Note: I've installed and reinstalled it all a couple of times, and tried it with the USB 3.0 option checked, and without it, but that made no difference with this problem.)

After MultiB**** is done and I reboot (removing the USB boot drive this time)..it boots from the hard drive installation and goes all the way in--but the mouse and keyboard are dead. I cannot get them to come around at all.

I've searched for a day or two on this, tried the boot arg 'USBBusFix=Yes" at boot up, but that didn't help. I've even gone into terminal and tried deleting/replacing IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorage.kext, but still nothing. My guess is that the first time around it's using the USB legacy drivers from the USB drive installer, and so the mouse/keyboard work all the way thru. But after I run Multib***, when it boots from whatever changes that applied to the hard drive installation, something in that kills the USB options and the mouse/keyboard die right at that moment. I can watch the lights on the keyboard start 'on'..and then after a few minutes...'off'. So I'm pretty sure it's something that's missing in the hard drive final setup files...I think..and I have to think it's possible to go in and add or remove whatever kext or plist is causing the problem, if I can do it in 'Terminal'.

I'd love some help to get this fixed...and I'd really like to know exactly why it happens, for future reference.

Thanks,

JTT

RESOLVED!:

I'm following-up to my own earlier post to say that this is resolved to my own satisfaction...but I'm not sure I can explain it.

After far too many hours fruitlessly looking for an answer, I got aggravated and, in a moment of frustration (or clarity), turned the computer around and yanked out the USB chords for the mouse and keyboard and plugged them into the front USB connectors on my PC, and 'lo and behold....they WORKED!

I couldn't believe it, so I plugged them back into the top USB ports on the back of my machine (the ones directly beneath the PS2 ports), which is where they typically would be and is where they'd been working fine throughout the installation setup, and they were dead again. Finally, I unplugged them from those top two non-working USB ports and plugged them into the next two ports down, the ones directly under the original ones--and the keyboard and mouse both work again!

I have no idea why the mouse and keyboard worked perfectly in the top two USB ports during the installation process all the way up to when I used Mult*be*st to get things to boot from the hard drive, only to stop working afterward. But after that first reboot from the hard drive, the keyboard and mouse will not work in the back top two USB ports. Very weird..

I've rebooted several times now with the keyboard and mouse plugged into the 2nd set of ports, and it's working without a hitch. So, fwiw to anyone who has this problem, do try some of your other USB ports as a test. Fortunately my board has several extra ports, and that saved me a lot more headaches.

Now, if anyone has gotten their audio working on an MSI X58 Platinum motherboard, or knows how to do it, I could use any tips.

Thanks,

JTT