[Guide] Gigabyte Z77X UD5H Clover UEFI Install/Tweak guide

xpamamadeus

465 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I am still having massive problems with my Hack. 

I have tried using the F16g BIOS to see if that made any difference which it did not.  I disabled WoL in BIOS, no different.  

The system wakes on USB input when sleeping, but also it will not shutdown without starting back up again.

Does anyone have any more ideas?  I can't use El Cap properly until I get some solution to this :(  

Thanks

Attached are my BIOS settings if you want to compare them.

About waking on USB, do you mean when you press a key or insert something that uses USB?

Mine wakes if I press either the Magic Mouse, Trackpad or Apple Keyboard (All bluetooth obviously) and I think if I insert something USB based.

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H BIOS Screenshots.zip

F16g is the latest beta version (on TweakTown). I use it with some mods (updated OROMs, updated VBIOS, added ASRock FireWire driver & Apple HFSPlus.efi).

What is your VBIOS version please and did you add HFSPlus.efi in the same way and location the Firewire driver is added to?

This is my latest BIOS info using UBU v1.42 Update 2 and MMTool:

Scanning BIOS... Please wait...
Platform BIOS AMI Aptio 4
Brand Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Found Option ROM VBIOS in GUID A062CF1F-8473-4AA3-8793-600BC4FFE9A8
Found Option ROM in GUID A062CF1F-8473-4AA3-8793-600BC4FFE9A8
Found EFI Intel GOP Driver GUID 8D59EBC8-B85E-400E-970A-1F995D1DB91E
Found EFI Intel GOP Driver GUID 5BBA83E6-F027-4CA7-BFD0-16358CC9E123
Found EFI Intel Raid Controller GUID 91B4D9C1-141C-4824-8D02-3C298E36EB3F
Found EFI Intel LAN Gigabit Undi GUID 4953F720-006D-41F5-990D-0AC7742ABB60

--------- ME Analyzer v1.3.12 ---------

Firmware: Intel ME
Version:  8.1.65.1586
Release:  Production
Type:     Region, Extracted
FD:       Unlocked
SKU:      1.5MB
VCN:      2
PV:       Yes
FITC:     8.1.30.1350
Date:     18/06/2015
Latest:   Yes

Press any key to continue . . .

Select option for update

1 Intel RST(e) OROM and EFI SataDriver
     OROM IRST RAID for SATA    - 14.7.0.2341
     EFI IRST RAID for SATA     - 14.7.0.2341
2 Intel OROM VBIOS and EFI GOP Driver
     OROM VBIOS Sandy/IvyBridge - 2170
     EFI GOP Driver IvyBridge   - 3.0.1030
     EFI GOP Driver SandyBridge - 2.0.1024
3 LAN OROM PXE and EFI UNDI - Intel, Realtek, BCM, QCA
     OROM Intel Boot Agent CL   - 0.1.06
     EFI Intel Gigabit UNDI     - 0.0.09
     OROM QCM-Atheros PXE       - 2.0.6.6
     OROM QCM-Atheros PXE       - 2.1.1.5
5 Marvell SATA Option ROM and EFI
     OROM Marvell 88SE9192      - 1.0.0.0034
7 Update Intel CPU MicroCode SandyBridge/IvyBridge
     CPU Microcode 0306A9 IVB   - 1C
     CPU Microcode 0206A7 SNB   - 29
9 Look the Info.txt
0 Exit
Press ENTER - Re-Scanning ALL EFI modules.

Enter number: 
 post-499606-0-06339800-1448130112_thumb.png

Hi guys,

I have tried using the F16g BIOS to see if that made any difference which it did not.  I disabled WoL in BIOS, no different.  

The system wakes on USB input when sleeping, but also it will not shutdown without starting back up again.

Does anyone have any more ideas?  I can't use El Cap properly until I get some solution to this :(

Thanks

Strange... do you have ErP enabled/disabled in your BIOS?

Attached are my BIOS settings if you want to compare them.

About waking on USB, do you mean when you press a key or insert something that uses USB?

Mine wakes if I press either the Magic Mouse, Trackpad or Apple Keyboard (All bluetooth obviously) and I think if I insert something USB based.

attachicon.gifGigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H BIOS Screenshots.zip

What is your VBIOS version please and did you add HFSPlus.efi in the same way and location the Firewire driver is added to?

This is my latest BIOS info using UBU v1.42 Update 2 and MMTool:

Scanning BIOS... Please wait...
Platform BIOS AMI Aptio 4
Brand Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Found Option ROM VBIOS in GUID A062CF1F-8473-4AA3-8793-600BC4FFE9A8
Found Option ROM in GUID A062CF1F-8473-4AA3-8793-600BC4FFE9A8
Found EFI Intel GOP Driver GUID 8D59EBC8-B85E-400E-970A-1F995D1DB91E
Found EFI Intel GOP Driver GUID 5BBA83E6-F027-4CA7-BFD0-16358CC9E123
Found EFI Intel Raid Controller GUID 91B4D9C1-141C-4824-8D02-3C298E36EB3F
Found EFI Intel LAN Gigabit Undi GUID 4953F720-006D-41F5-990D-0AC7742ABB60

--------- ME Analyzer v1.3.12 ---------

Firmware: Intel ME
Version:  8.1.65.1586
Release:  Production
Type:     Region, Extracted
FD:       Unlocked
SKU:      1.5MB
VCN:      2
PV:       Yes
FITC:     8.1.30.1350
Date:     18/06/2015
Latest:   Yes

Press any key to continue . . .

Select option for update

1 Intel RST(e) OROM and EFI SataDriver
     OROM IRST RAID for SATA    - 14.7.0.2341
     EFI IRST RAID for SATA     - 14.7.0.2341
2 Intel OROM VBIOS and EFI GOP Driver
     OROM VBIOS Sandy/IvyBridge - 2170
     EFI GOP Driver IvyBridge   - 3.0.1030
     EFI GOP Driver SandyBridge - 2.0.1024
3 LAN OROM PXE and EFI UNDI - Intel, Realtek, BCM, QCA
     OROM Intel Boot Agent CL   - 0.1.06
     EFI Intel Gigabit UNDI     - 0.0.09
     OROM QCM-Atheros PXE       - 2.0.6.6
     OROM QCM-Atheros PXE       - 2.1.1.5
5 Marvell SATA Option ROM and EFI
     OROM Marvell 88SE9192      - 1.0.0.0034
7 Update Intel CPU MicroCode SandyBridge/IvyBridge
     CPU Microcode 0306A9 IVB   - 1C
     CPU Microcode 0206A7 SNB   - 29
9 Look the Info.txt
0 Exit
Press ENTER - Re-Scanning ALL EFI modules.

Enter number: 
 attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-11-21 at 18.20.48.png

Mind uploading your personal BIOS for me to try?

Hi guys,

Thanks

Mine wakes on USB input when sleeping, but I would have thought this would be desirable to most people. I doubt there's any way to stop a real Mac from doing that either?

It does also do the restarting when shutting down thing too, which is annoying. Right now I've resorted to keeping it on or sleeping the whole time, though this is definitely not ideal.

e: ignore my signature, it hasn't been updated in years clearly. I'm talking about my Z77X-UD5H (still 2500K) system with 10.11.1.

F16g is the latest beta version (on TweakTown). I use it with some mods (updated OROMs, updated VBIOS, added ASRock FireWire driver & Apple HFSPlus.efi).

Mind posting this BIOS for me to try?  I can't get El Capitan successfully installed using your script.  I think it has something to do with the BIOS revision.

Would you mind sending to me your BIOS? I've had bad experiences with F16g and I would like to try yours.

By the way, my board is rev 1.0. Is your BIOS compatible with this revision?

Thanks in advance!

Rev 1.0 & rev 1.1 have the same BIOS. However, rev 1.0 has broken audio in OS X and Linux, and an older Qualcomm Atheros NIC (AR8151 v2.0 vs AR8161).

Would you mind sending to me your BIOS? I've had bad experiences with F16g and I would like to try yours.

Try using the older F16 beta bios from tweak town in the previous bios releases thread. I too have issues with F16g but this does not surprise me at all because I discovered there are known issues with f16g (been reported on tweak town forums somewhere, I think somewhere in the 300-400 page mark in one of the massive threads).

The older F16 (no letter after name) bios doesn't have at least some of the problems F16g has. The bios I recently made for myself is just F16 bios, plus the FireWire EFI driver added and the sandy bridge gop video driver removed to free up some space. Since I have an ivy bridge processor that was the easiest thing to drop with no consequences and got some free space for inserting other stuff if needed later.

Rev 1.0 & rev 1.1 have the same BIOS. However, rev 1.0 has broken audio in OS X and Linux, and an older Qualcomm Atheros NIC (AR8151 v2.0 vs AR8161).

Hi!

Since I use Firewire & USB audio that's not a problem to me.

Thanks in advance!

The older F16 (no letter after name) bios doesn't have at least some of the problems F16g has. The bios I recently made for myself is just F16 bios, plus the FireWire EFI driver added and the sandy bridge gop video driver removed to free up some space. Since I have an ivy bridge processor that was the easiest thing to drop with no consequences and got some free space for inserting other stuff if needed later.

I would like to try your BIOS. I'm also on Ivy Bridge, so it seems perfect for me, please send it to me.

Thanks in advance!

This is the F16 bios with the firewire driver added. It should work fine but proceed at your own risk etc. 

It is based on the GA-Z77X-UD5H - F16 -20.Aug 13 bios.

Firewire EFI driver was added using UEFITool v0.21.4, nothing else in bios has been changed.
Sandy Bridge GOP video driver was removed from bios to free up space so DO NOT use this if you have a Sandy Bridge processor. If you have an Ivy Bridge Processor then this is fine (example 3770k etc).

Other than that change it is the same as the F16 Bios obtained from the tweaktown post of previous beta bios list for the Z77XUD5H.

When you have a chance after testing it please let me know how it works for you  :)

I have attached the bios

Edit: I had originally posted a bios file with the Sandy Bridge GOP Driver removed. However in the interest of this being useful to more people and less chance of someone making a mistake I chose to change the attachment to the F16 Bios with just the firewire driver added. So this 'Z77XUD5H-Firewire.F16.zip' will work for anyone with ivy or sandy bridge. I have tested this new version myself and it seems to works fine.

Z77XUD5H-Firewire.F16.zip

This is the F16 bios with the firewire driver added. It should work fine but proceed at your own risk etc. 

Firewire EFI driver was added using UEFITool v0.21.4, nothing else in bios has been changed.
Sandy Bridge GOP video driver was removed from bios to free up space so DO NOT use this if you have a Sandy Bridge processor. If you have an Ivy Bridge Processor then this is fine (example 3770k etc).

Other than that change it is the same as the F16 Bios obtained from the tweaktown post of previous beta bios list for the Z77XUD5H.

When you have a chance after testing it please let me know how it works for you  :)

I have attached the bios

Edit: I had originally posted a bios file with the Sandy Bridge GOP Driver removed. However in the interest of this being useful to more people and less chance of someone making a mistake I chose to change the attachment to the F16 Bios with just the firewire driver added. So this 'Z77XUD5H-Firewire.F16.zip' will work for anyone with ivy or sandy bridge. I have tested this new version myself and it seems to works fine.

Thanks! I'll try your BIOS and post results over here...

I have attached the bios

Hi!

Your BIOS works great in my system, but it hasn't solved the problem I have related to FireWire: I'm using a PCIe StarTech FireWire card (2 800mbs ports + 1 400mbps port) and it is impossible to shutdown the computer with the card inserted, it just reboots again. Sleep doesn't work neither, it goes to sleep but immediately it wakes up.

I've been trying different BIOSes to no avail, this card seems to broke shutdown and sleep.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Your BIOS works great in my system, but it hasn't solved the problem I have related to FireWire: I'm using a PCIe StarTech FireWire card (2 800mbs ports + 1 400mbps port) and it is impossible to shutdown the computer with the card inserted, it just reboots again. Sleep doesn't work neither, it goes to sleep but immediately it wakes up.

So Just to confirm you only have shutdown problem when that extra startech firewire card is installed? If its not installed, then your computer shuts off correctly?

With that bios are you unable to use the 2 firewire ports on motherboard? Unfortunately, I don't have any firewire devices anymore to test with. Could you test if the firewire port(s) from the motherboard work (one port is on the back and one is a header on the motherboard). I checked and the Rev 1.0 and 1.1 of the UD5H both have the same firewire chipset according to the specs on Gigabyte's website. The reason I ask is, assuming the motherboards firewire ports work, is the extra startech firewire card really necessary?

The firewire driver in the bios I posted is for the internal Firewire chipset that comes with the motherboard (VIA VT6308), it wont do anything for that startech card you mentioned that appears to use an LSI FW643 chip.

So Just to confirm you only have shutdown problem when that extra startech firewire card is installed? If its not installed, then your computer shuts off correctly?

With that bios are you unable to use the 2 firewire ports on motherboard? Unfortunately, I don't have any firewire devices anymore to test with. Could you test if the firewire port(s) from the motherboard work (one port is on the back and one is a header on the motherboard). I checked and the Rev 1.0 and 1.1 of the UD5H both have the same firewire chipset according to the specs on Gigabyte's website. The reason I ask is, assuming the motherboards firewire ports work, is the extra startech firewire card really necessary?

The firewire driver in the bios I posted is for the internal Firewire chipset that comes with the motherboard (VIA VT6308), it wont do anything for that startech card you mentioned that appears to use an LSI FW643 chip.

Yes, I only have shutdown/sleep problems when the StarTech 800mbps card (LSI FW643 based, as you mention) is connected. If I remove it, everything works ok.

Regarding onboard Firewire ports, they do work, but occasionally the system hangs. Since I use Pro Tools and a MOTU Firewire interface, an stable Firewire connection is a must for me. That's why I need a PCIe Firewire adapter.

Currently I'm using another Firewire card from StarTech (which only supports 400mbps) and with it there is no problem at all. But since I bought the 800mbps version first, I would like to put it to use.

It is good to know that your Firewire driver is useless in my setup, but anyway I've found your BIOS to be more stable than F16g. With F16g from time to time BIOS got stuck so the computer didn't boot, and I had to reset CMOS to use the machine again. This has never happened with your F16 version. Thanks!

Going back to the Firewire problem, is there anything I can do? In the thread I posted before everyone agrees in a BIOS poor Firewire implementation as the main source of problems with this LSI FW643 card. I've tried with every official BIOS version to no avail. I've also tried mods and betas (mainly F16 based) and I've had the same problems. Right now I use the 400mbps card, but maybe in the future I need 800mbps connectivity and I'm looking for possible solutions.

Thanks everyone!

Have you tried making a custom DSDT for your setup with the StarTech plugged in? Worth at least trying. A very useful hint for capturing a clean unmodified DSDT is to simply press F4 while on the clover bootloader screen. It wont give you any indicator that it did anything, but it will save a clean copy of your DSDT somewhere in the EFI partition you booted from. Quite a few guides on making DSDT suggest to set clovers DSDT to "null", changing other options, disabling stuff etc, in order to get an untouched DSDT, but using the F4 method is easier and faster. Plus it will guarantee you are getting a totally unmodified DSDT to start with which is what you want if your are planning on using Pjalm's set of DSDT patches with MaciASL (or likely any other persons DSDT patches).

I think it is worth attempting if you are willing to try. Perhaps someone else has a better idea, but I had a similar type of resetting issue with the UD5H motherboard that went away once i made a custom DSDT. In my case the thing that was causing me issues was trying to use my GTX 470 (which is so old it has no GOP Driver/UEFI support in the card's VBIOS :(). After making a DSDT with MaciASL using Pjalms patches for the Z77X-UD5H my sleep issues went away as well as some other side benefits for me related to the GTX 470. I seem to recall Pjalm's patches for this board having some fixes related to sleep/wake stuff so I think it is worth a shot, and why I mentioned it.

I'm definitely curious if you do come up with some kind of solution what it ends up being, or if anyone else has any suggestions you could try.

Have you tried making a custom DSDT for your setup with the StarTech plugged in? Worth at least trying. A very useful hint for capturing a clean unmodified DSDT is to simply press F4 while on the clover bootloader screen. It wont give you any indicator that it did anything, but it will save a clean copy of your DSDT somewhere in the EFI partition you booted from. Quite a few guides on making DSDT suggest to set clovers DSDT to "null", changing other options, disabling stuff etc, in order to get an untouched DSDT, but using the F4 method is easier and faster. Plus it will guarantee you are getting a totally unmodified DSDT to start with which is what you want if your are planning on using Pjalm's set of DSDT patches with MaciASL (or likely any other persons DSDT patches).

I think it is worth attempting if you are willing to try. Perhaps someone else has a better idea, but I had a similar type of resetting issue with the UD5H motherboard that went away once i made a custom DSDT. In my case the thing that was causing me issues was trying to use my GTX 470 (which is so old it has no GOP Driver/UEFI support in the card's VBIOS :(). After making a DSDT with MaciASL using Pjalms patches for the Z77X-UD5H my sleep issues went away as well as some other side benefits for me related to the GTX 470. I seem to recall Pjalm's patches for this board having some fixes related to sleep/wake stuff so I think it is worth a shot, and why I mentioned it.

I'm definitely curious if you do come up with some kind of solution what it ends up being, or if anyone else has any suggestions you could try.

I've been using a custom DSDT since Pjalm started offering his patches. I've always extracted my DSDT using Clover and with the LSI FW643 plugged in. No dice...

Everytime Pjalm updates his repository of patches I update my DSDT, using the Clover extradited one as the starting point. No difference through all these years...

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Hey RacerMaster, how do you recommend doing OS updates using your script?  I updated from 10.11.1 to 10.11.2 yesterday, and upon reboot, I had a kernel panic.

The update seems to have went OK, as the system is reporting 10.11.2 and it now boots fine.  However, I'm not entirely sure if it was successfully ran.

How do you do system updates?

Hey RacerMaster, how do you recommend doing OS updates using your script?  I updated from 10.11.1 to 10.11.2 yesterday, and upon reboot, I had a kernel panic.

The update seems to have went OK, as the system is reporting 10.11.2 and it now boots fine.  However, I'm not entirely sure if it was successfully ran.

How do you do system updates?

What does the panic say? I've been running the 10.11.2 betas for a while now and yesterday upgraded to the final release and haven't encountered any panics. I update normally (App Store).

What does the panic say? I've been running the 10.11.2 betas for a while now and yesterday upgraded to the final release and haven't encountered any panics. I update normally (App Store).

I wasn't able to catch it in time before my computer restarted.  It happened right before booting, so I'm just going to assume that the update succeeded.

Hi guys,

Been a while since I last read the forums.  It doesn't look like my issue has been solved yet, but I may have missed the solution. 

Has anyone managed to solve the wake-by-USB issue while asleep?  As suggested by...

WoL still works even with that disabled in the BIOS (I use it here too), I will be surprised if disabling that doesn't fix your restart problem.

... the system now stays shutdown when I want it to shut down, but I am unable to start the system from shutdown as was suggested in this thread with WoL disabled in BIOS and Wake for network access enabled in Energy Saver. 

Everything else appears to work as advertised.  Updated to 10.11.2 through App store without issue.

Thanks