[Guide] Gigabyte Z77X UD5H Clover UEFI Install/Tweak guide

xpamamadeus

465 posts in this topic

Very happy with how everything is running. Got my windows install running in Fusion as a "Boot Camp" VM. Important to unmount the disks first as I'm usually mounting them R/W with Paragon. Launching the VM with the disks still mounted results in an immediate crash. Will look into writing a script to handle unmounting and launching safely.

Yeah, I've just given up on sleep, everything works fine with sleep disabled. This computer is a media server for multiple households as well so it's not doing much sleeping as it is anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am having issues getting my system (see sig) to play nice.  This has all come around because I wanted better speed stepping that I could achieve using SMBios iMac13,2, by using Macmini6,2.

Anyway - I managed to get the system to boot using Macmini6,2 after realising it would not boot unless the intergrated graphics were enabled.  

If I boot the system with the IGPU(IGFX) set as primray in the BIOS and with my screen hooked up to the IGPU, it boots normally.  If I set the my nVidia discrete card as primary (PEGP) in BIOS and hook the screen up to that, it boots, but it takes like 30 seconds longer.

It gets through BIOS POST and Clover bootloader fine, but its when it is loading OS X that it comes to a crawl. 

There are a few clues that I have found that seem to be consistent in the console messages from boot, but I have been unable to find anything on the internet to suggest what might be causing it:

• 08/11/2014 00:21:55.000 kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform  is referenced on each boot. Using attempted solution 2 below does seem to remove this, but does not solve the issue. 
  • 08/11/2014 00:22:05.093 stackshot[68]: Timed out waiting for IOKit to finish matching.  This is another consistently appearing line.
  • 08/11/2014 00:22:09.915 blued[61]: Logging disabled
The last two of these entires are around the time where there is the 20-30 second pause.  

I have tried all number of things to get it working using the clues I have from console, but I have not been able to come up with anything that boots properly. 

A couple of things I have tried:

1. Various DSDT's - with discrete patch only, with HD4000 patch only, with discrete and HD4000 patch.
  2. Using Clover, I tried on-the-fly patching - changing GFX0 to IGPU as suggested from one site I Googled.

I am not a code expert so cannot understand really what DSDT files do, so I can't diagnose any issues from that side.  

My main aim is to use Macmini6,2 to get a couple of extra P-states for my 3770k, but having spent the last week trying to get it working, I am thinking of just sticking with iMac13,2... on that I get an idle state of 1.60GHz, and it throttles up to 3.70-3.90GHz when required.   I guess that so long as it throttles down when not in use so it isn't using as much power and prolongs the life of the CPU, I can live with that.

Any suggestions welcomed.  Thanks. 

My main aim is to use Macmini6,2 to get a couple of extra P-states for my 3770k, but having spent the last week trying to get it working, I am thinking of just sticking with iMac13,2... on that I get an idle state of 1.60GHz, and it throttles up to 3.70-3.90GHz when required.   I guess that so long as it throttles down when not in use so it isn't using as much power and prolongs the life of the CPU, I can live with that.

Any suggestions welcomed.  Thanks. 

Try just sticking with the iMac smbios, the macmini causes other problems with quicktime, hardware acceleration. I'm using iMac with more states than I had with the mac mini smbios, I just use SSDT to generate more.

I have the 3770k also, put the ssdt in the acpi / patched folder along where you dsdt is 7LRjapW.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvp6zwf0tb1r6rp/SSDT.aml?dl=0

That's mine I'm sharing, or generate your own with the script.

Try just sticking with the iMac smbios, the macmini causes other problems with quicktime, hardware acceleration. I'm using iMac with more states than I had with the mac mini smbios, I just use SSDT to generate more.

I have the 3770k also, put the ssdt in the acpi / patched folder along where you dsdt is 7LRjapW.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvp6zwf0tb1r6rp/SSDT.aml?dl=0

That's mine I'm sharing, or generate your own with the script.

Hey kdp,

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried your SSDT and am still only getting P-States 16/37/38/39

I have no idea what yourself and everyone else on here with the 3770k are doing differently to me to get extra states?  What states do you get?  Can you think of some magical setting that I have missed that is causing this?

Tell you what would be awesome, and I know this may take up a bit of your time so understand if you can't be jacked;  if you could take some screenshots of all your BIOS settings (we have same board), your Clover config, your DSDT - just everything that relates to power management - and send them over.  I am going insane! 

If you can manage that, then great, thanks; but totally understand if you don't have the time.

Thanks.

Hey kdp,

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried your SSDT and am still only getting P-States 16/37/38/39

I have no idea what yourself and everyone else on here with the 3770k are doing differently to me to get extra states?  What states do you get?  Can you think of some magical setting that I have missed that is causing this?

Tell you what would be awesome, and I know this may take up a bit of your time so understand if you can't be jacked;  if you could take some screenshots of all your BIOS settings (we have same board), your Clover config, your DSDT - just everything that relates to power management - and send them over.  I am going insane! 

If you can manage that, then great, thanks; but totally understand if you don't have the time.

Thanks.

How are you verifying your CPU states? just HW Monitor or are you watching them in console?

I have used MSRDumper and I have istat menus, which I believe works same way as hw monitor.

I also used AICPUPMI, which lists a shed load of states, but only ever registers 16/37/38/39.

Cheers

I'll look into this in a bit, in the mean time, I think maybe we should look into whether or not these things are reporting CPU states properly. MSRDumper is reporting the same thing you're reporting for me, despite the fact that other things are reporting other states.  So it's possible something with 10.10 has changed this. I've personally witnessed this SSDT file spit out at least 3 states in the "20's" range, which it is not doing with MSRDumper currently. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Hi kdp

Just wanted to bring to your attention a thread I have had going for a few days with a bit of history of what I have tried and am currently trying:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302288-cannot-get-speed-stepping-to-work-at-all/?do=findComment&comment=2081147

I am currently experimenting with xcpm - which gives me more P-states, but I am having a sporadic booting issue.  Any comments you have would be welcomed.

Thanks

Thanks Cobra,

I think for now I am just going to stick with non xcpm and ssdtPRgen -w 3 settings.  At least I get 16/37/38/39 - so the CPU is at least idling at a low state; saves energy and doesn't wear the CPU's life. 

I will keep an eye on developments, but am going to try and stay away from experimenting.  I am feeling like I am not using my computer any more, just pissing around with it.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kdp

Just wanted to bring to your attention a thread I have had going for a few days with a bit of history of what I have tried and am currently trying:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302288-cannot-get-speed-stepping-to-work-at-all/?do=findComment&comment=2081147

I am currently experimenting with xcpm - which gives me more P-states, but I am having a sporadic booting issue.  Any comments you have would be welcomed.

Thanks

heh.. I just came here to make sure you were aware of this, yeah I'm getting more states now too,  haven't seen any boot issues yet though, but I just changed it, will let you know if they arise / what I do about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have Yosemite 10.10.0 working with Ozmosis. I'll do my best to edit this post with additional information on getting everything working.

I know it hasn't been that long, just curious if there are any updates

• Install hnak's AppleIntelE1000e.kext.

I would assume this means this is not added to Oz bios? Aren't there two kexts needed to get both ports working?

I'm new to Ozmosis and still trying to figure things out. I'm currently using a preconfigured Ozmosis rom from a lovely German hackintosh forum.

I haven't had much time to use or observe behavior but I do know that ethernet kext are not added into bios so I had to add to EFI partition. Sound doesn't work, but VoodooHDA is in bios. Not sure about sleep, have yet to test this.

In any case there are obviously working versions of Ozmosis roms around but I would like to optimize everything as XP did prior to getting rid of his hack. Things have changed, methods have changed, and software has changed so it would be great to get a conversation going specific to this board as the Ozmosis thread is far too long and not specific. Maybe a new thread?

• 1 month later...

Is anyone running this board with HD 3000 graphics? I can't for the life of me get QE/CI acceleration to work, and it's driving me kinda nuts. My specs are:

Core i5-2500K

Z77X-UD5H, f16mod11 UEFI

8GB DDR3-1600

256GB Samsung 840 Pro

Clover r3142

OS X 10.10.2

I've not followed the guide in the OP to set Clover up, but I thought this might be a good place to pose the question. I'm not using a DSDT so I'm trying to get everything working via Clover injection, and the stupidest thing is that I know I've got this working before, but I then did a clean install and went the Chimera route, and can't remember what I did. Obviously, I'm now looking to go back to Clover.  :rolleyes:

I can boot fine until I attempt to inject a FakeID for the graphics, at which point the boot hangs. Verbose mode doesn't provide anything that looks very useful.

Obviously I can provide more info if anyone has a similar setup and thinks they might be able to help!

Cheers

e - ignore the specs in my signature. It's been a while since I logged in here and that reflects the system I had back in the Lion days, I've jumped back in to the world of Hackintosh since Yosemite was released.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i can not get OS X 10.10.3 install with clover

i have success fully create the USB flash drive.

i can boot from it and once it's start to install the OS gets to 11% and machine reboot any idea?

Z77X-UD5H

Intel i7 3770

16GB DDR3

GTX 670 TI

120GB SSD 

• 2 weeks later...