What's a good fast freeware photo viewer?

drexvil

25 posts in this topic

Preview only opens one file, unless you select all the files in the folder and then open them, what a waste of time! I'll like something that, when you double-click on a jpg in a folder, the program opens with that picture. But with the press of a key, you can see the next or previous jpg in the folder, like a slideshow but without auto-advance. Also, when you click on it, you can zoom-in for a quick inspection. I don't care of any editing features, save for LOSSLESS rotation and crop, as it's supposed to be a viewer. Something on the lines of the wonderful VuePrint for Windows. Bonus points given if the program is FREE.

Does anything like this exist?

Gracias!

Jack

I was just wondering the same thing, one of very few things MS got right that Apple still hasn't done in their OS. Preview is a joke.

I'll add: free or paid program doesnt matter to me, I just want one with low overhead, at least as fast as Preview to open files (i.e. anything by Adobe is automatically disqualified for bloat).

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Windows Picture Viewer is free.... Comes with your pc.

Try picassa from google..

I believe he's talking about picture viewers for OS X :rolleyes:

Picasa is not yet released for OS X just yet.

- Sb.

It's appalled that OS X doesn't have a thumbnail view for pictures in the finder. The fastest Mac app I've used is Xee. It is the closest to the PC only app AcdSee. Xee has scroll wheel control to go through all the photos in a folder. It also is the closest in speed to AcdSee that I've seen. However it is still much slower that AcdSee (an early version like 3.0 not the new bloated versions). You can't really tell if you are only viewing < 1MB files. If you have large megapixel files, the difference is painfully obvious. I'm not sure if it is the program or the OS (the filesystem speed), but it is not the hardware since I'm using the same machine just booting into the respective OSes.

is there any way to configure xee so that it displays everything at full resolution or fit-to-screen-width when you first open a file? it's a pain having to use the zoom shortcuts on every page when reading manga.

It's appalled that OS X doesn't have a thumbnail view for pictures in the finder. The fastest Mac app I've used is Xee. It is the closest to the PC only app AcdSee. Xee has scroll wheel control to go through all the photos in a folder. It also is the closest in speed to AcdSee that I've seen. However it is still much slower that AcdSee (an early version like 3.0 not the new bloated versions). You can't really tell if you are only viewing < 1MB files. If you have large megapixel files, the difference is painfully obvious. I'm not sure if it is the program or the OS (the filesystem speed), but it is not the hardware since I'm using the same machine just booting into the respective OSes.

You realize that OS X does, indeed, have a thumbnail view in Finder? "View > Show View Options > Show Icon Preview".

You realize that OS X does, indeed, have a thumbnail view in Finder? "View > Show View Options > Show Icon Preview".

Ok, I didn't know that. But I tried it out and it seems very clumsy. You can't easily set individual folders to thumbnails. Oh well, I guess it's better than nothing.

Preview isnt a joke, it supports Illustrator photoshop and PDFs! im so happy using pdfs without using the terrible slow Acrobat reader.

yes Preview should have a Forward and reverse button, dont you think thats an iAnnoyance?

Yeah, I agree with you here. Preview's Illulstrator, Photoshop and PDF support is awesome. I also like how the Finder in OS X can display psd files as a thumbnail the same way it would a png or jpg. In Windows I get an ugly blue Icon when I try to view psd files through explorer. The only issue I have with preview is the lack of forward and backwards buttons as aberracus said.

• 2 weeks later...