DSDT Audio Fix for Asus P8Z77-V-LE Plus (ALC889 driver)

29 posts in this topic

hey folks (and especially carbo178!) - continuing a discussion we started on another topic - i'm looking for a DSDT that will enable audio for this board, which uses the ALC889 driver. the current one i have causes a kernel panic in what appears to be AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. see the enclosed picture.

this is a bit odd because i patched power management with a BIOS flashback to version 0606 so my version of AICPM is unpatched. i guess the DSDT overwrites that setting maybe? and maybe the DSDT is set up for a newer unpatched BIOS like mine was before i flashed it ,and instead uses NullCPUPowerManagment or possibly a patched version of AICPM?

scott

post-524418-0-03729500-1369651393_thumb.jpg

My bios is patched like your, same version (0606).

I don't understand the panic...

Patience, about 4/5 hours i upload new dsdt (now i'm not at home)

Sorry for my english

I'm glad it works, but there is something that puzzles me ... we have the same motherboard and the same bios version, despite this there are differences in the dsdt, and I would like to understand why.

If you can give me details of bios settings, TPU and EPU switches and method of patching bios (I used PMPatch) or if you found it on the net ...

Thank you in advance for the info

greetings

Marco

• 1 year later...

hey Marco, i'm sorry i did not get back to you regarding your requests. i'd imagine you've moved on by now, and it looks like you're now on 10.9.2. i'm still on 10.8, but recently upgraded to 10.8.4, which of course, killed the audio again. thus i am back, looking for some assistance in troubleshooting.

so far i've tried the following:

• M-ultibeast AppleHDA (latest for ML)
  • a DSDT edit and the patched AppleHDA from toleda's excellent documentation
  • the 6 channel experimental AppleHDA version from shiecldk which you installed successfully with DSDT edits
  • the combination of the AppleHDA Patcher and the Codec kit for ALC889 from Mirone, with DSDT edits

so far, absolutely nothing works. the Profiler states i have a generic Intel High Definition Audio, and nothing shows up under the Sound panel.

i'm adding my IOreg file, the standard System DSDT and the 6ch edited DSDT in hopes that maybe some light can be shed.

any help appreciated. i've tried my best to read these directions but i'm just not getting why my mobo config is so different from typical ALC889s....

best,

scott

DSDT-6ch.aml.zip

System DSDT.aml.zip

hackint0sh2.ioreg.zip

thanks for the quick response!

sorry - no joy this time. actually i lost USB too, for a bit after the 10.8.5 update. then i found out the Generic USB 3.0 driver had a new version compatible with 10.8.5. so at least i've got USB again.

profiler shows nothing - system prefs sound out shows nothing. i've got no clue why this is being so difficult. could interference from AudioAUUC.kext be the problem? i read somewhere that removing it improved things on some systems, though ALC889 was not mentioned.

there was one sort of weird error. both Combo Installers (10.8.4 and 10.8.5) completed but i got a failed message at the very end. however when i rebooted the profiler said it was updated. i had turned off Spotlight for 10.8.4 but i re-enabled it for the 10.8.5 install. did not seem to make a difference.

just to verify - i installed the Kext with KextWizard, fixed permissions, rebuilt cache and booted with -f flag. DSDT.aml in /Extra...

i need somebody more well versed in AppleHDA patching and DSDT than me.

You must boot with UseKernelCache=Yes, not with -f.

Can you upload your Extra folder, please?

I've no problems with USB3, only injected in dsdt and installed caldigit kexts for non-intel USB3

hi there - enclosed is my current Extra folder, after you gave me your DSDT. i am a little ashamed as it's got a lot of older DSDTs in the ExtraDSDT folder. also there seems to be a 'modules' folder with two dylibs and an NVRAM plist. i think these may be old and outdated, as i'm using HD4000 video, but not totally sure.

thanks immensely for your time and expertise, and let me know if you need anything else!

ExtraFolder.zip

Ok, you actually run 10.8.5, right?

Please describe exactly your hardware (CPU, RAM, disks, PCI-E graphic card - if present -).

My bios setting is default, and i use dart=0 in ocbp, i think you have disabled Intel virtualization.

Can you give a try?

• Replace your Extra folder with the one attached (make a backup of your extra, if you can, make a backup of your system with Time Machine)
  • Boot with -v, and if you have Kernel Panic don't worry, boot with -v DSDT=No.
  • Otherwise if you have stuck at boot after "DSMOS Has Arrived" restart with -v dart=0

If all run fine, install the kext inside the "Kext" folder and reboot

Extra.zip

OK- will do.

as far as i know, i am running 10.8.5 (in spite of the weird 'failed installation' error). system Profiler is telling me this, and when i checked S/L/E it shows the updated kexts installed there. so it seems like it worked.

as for the system:

CPU: Core i5 3570K

RAM: 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

SATA SSD: Samsung 840 (240GB) (SATA 3 drive, no Trim, GUID Partition, SMART verified) - this is the system drive

SATA HD:1 TB - Model: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (GUID Partition)

DVD-BluRay Writer - LG Model  HL-DT-ST BD-RE  WH14NS40

oh and a Firewire card that was natively supported, and is working fine.

pretty sure i've disabled Intel virtualization but i can check. 

Video - Currently using onboard HD4000 video BUT i have a GTX650Ti (PNY brand, 1GB) card that i want to install pretty soon. it is NOT installed yet. that's why i had to update, because 10.8.3 and later natively support the 650Ti cards.

i will update the post after i've tried your method. i have backed up Extra so no worries there. more soon...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE - OK - your Extra folder setup definitely doesn't work. immediate Kernel panic on restart. looks like it fails at the beginning - IA32_MC0_STATUS - MC6_STATUS invalid. MC7 is valid, though. panic seems to backtrace to com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (power management issue?)

restarting without DSDT worked but froze USB - not sure why.

i restarted in Safe Mode (-x) reverted back to my older Extra folder version, the 10.8.5 vanilla AppleHDA.kext and the original DSDT you gave me that worked in 10.8.0. no audio but at least i got USB back. also it was able to show other USB audio devices where the other DSDT revisions i tried did not. i need to make sure that USB audio devices are visible in AudioMIDI Setup because i use professional interfaces as well as onboard audio.

anyway thanks for all your help! let me know if you need more information specifically from me.

UPDATE #2

here's an interesting development. i just had a look with System Profiler on my current Audio hardware setup using basically the same DSDT i was using back in 10.8.0 (which you provided me last year) and it shows a lot more information than any of the other methods i've tried. basically it gives the whole audio port input and output setup for Layout #1:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID: 1

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:

Connection: Internal

Line Output:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

Headphone:

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output:

Connection: Optical

HDMI / DisplayPort Output:

Connection: Display

However, i still see no ability to select a Built-In audio option in System Prefs>Sound, nor does it show up in AudioMIDI Setup as an option.

In spite of this, i think this particular DSDT is probably closest to working with my current hardware but obviously still needs some changes - maybe just the AppleHDA.kext needs work? since i sent you my Extra folder the setup i'm showing here is the same as the ExtraDSDT/DSDT-10.8.aml file.

i did try patching the AppleHDA but i used a much different DSDT edit at the time. maybe it's worth trying to patch it using this older DSDT as a starting point.

hope this makes some sense...

scott

Can you give another try?

Delete P-states and C-states strings from the org.chameleon.boot.plist file in the Extra uploaded by me yesterday

Replace your Extra folder with mine (with new org.chameleon.boot.plist) and reboot with -v

Same recommendations: try dart=0 in case of stuck after DSMOS has arrived, DSDT=No in case of panic

nope - sorry. same situation. immediate Kernel panic on restart, this time in com.Apple.PowerManagement.kext.  

let me know if you have other solutions to try. sorry this is being difficult....

actually i do have some further questions, but they are BIOS and video card related.  i wonder if i should create a new post for this, or is it OK to post it here, since it is related to the same mobo?

i will be brief here - i installed the video card but it's not being detected by the BIOS at all. i'm still on version 0606 - have you upgraded your BIOS in order to run your GTX650? i note that version 0606 is a pretty old BIOS - about three years ago. so maybe the 650Ti i have isn't recognized?

advice appreciated!

OK, resume your system, boot without DSDT and open terminal, copy paste this command in terminal window.

perl -e 'open(CMD, "ioreg -lw0 \| grep DSDT|") or die; while()
{ chomp; if($_ =~ /\"DSDT\.?\d?\"=]*)>/) { $buff = $1; open(PIP,

"|xxd -r -p > ~/Desktop/dsdt.aml") or die; print PIP "$1"; } }'

Compress and send the dsdt.aml file you find in desktop

just to make certain - does it matter which Extra folder i am using to boot from? not sure whether you mean to restart without DSDT using your Extra folder or mine. i'm guessing it does not matter?

scott

OK - here's the DSDT you requested of my current system. i started with DSDT=No and pasted your script.

BTW i'm still on BIOS 0606. maybe i should upgrade, especially for 650Ti video support?

dsdt.aml.zip

nope, sorry. doesn't work. i did get a series of cascading errors after DSMOS arrived:

first, several errors claiming that vtables are out of date (i counted around 10):

'kxld[com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFamily]: the super class vtable XXXXXXXXXX for vtable XXXXXXXXX is out of date'

next:

Kext com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFAmily - link failed

Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFAmily

and then because com.apple.iokit.IOHDAFAmily fails to load it seems to break com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController

so, i think this means the AppleHDA isn't working or loading correctly.

also there's no indication of anything in Profiler -  i get an ID-32 in profiler but no port listings or anything. just 'Intel High Definition Audio'

can you tell me if you're still using BIOS 0606 on your mobo. if not, which one are you using?

let me know what else i can do. sorry i can't be more helpful. i booted using my older Extra folder but using your DSDT.

scott

Yes, i use same bios as your, patched with pm patch.

I see differences in dsdt, your file have HPET section, mine file not.

I suppose i uploaded you a wrong AppleHDA, tomorrow i attach the right kext.

Good night

OK - Slightly closer. I am now able to see the port layout in Profiler, but the driver fails to show.

there's still a loading issue it seems on startup:

8/3/14 10:29:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.
8/3/14 10:29:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC - failed to resolve library dependencies.
8/3/14 10:29:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC failed to load (0xdc00800e).
8/3/14 10:29:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AudioAUUC (error 0xdc00800e).
8/3/14 10:29:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "AudioAUUCDriver"
8/3/14 10:29:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - library kext com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily not found.
8/3/14 10:29:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController - failed to resolve library dependencies.
8/3/14 10:29:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController failed to load (0xdc00800e).
8/3/14 10:29:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Failed to load kext com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController (error 0xdc00800e).
8/3/14 10:29:03.000 AM kernel[0]: Couldn't alloc class "AppleHDAController"

now it looks like AudioAAUCDriver depends on IOGraphicsFamily, and possibly AppleHDAController wants IOGraphicsFamily as well. at any rate, it seems both of these fail in loading which is probably the culprit. so why would IOGraphicsFamily be needed by audio anyway?

also BTW - i did upgrade my video card fine - it turned out the power connector had a problem where a pin was not contacting. i was really frustrated there for a while...

anyway, let me know your thoughts on the situation. there's definitely some progress.

best, scott

OK - No big errors in loading but nothing visible in SystemPrefs>Sound either. the layout is still visible in Profiler. the only remaining error i see is two sound assertions after DSMOS, but nothing else:

8/3/14 11:15:01.000 AM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1078
8/3/14 11:15:01.000 AM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1053

not sure what's going on here. as far as i know there are no other audio drivers loaded that could interfere. i Googled these two assertions and they seem to be somewhat common, but no direct solutions are available. it seems that at least one of these errors happened for Apple users when upgrading to 10.8.3 from 10.8.2.

any ideas?