Clover Themes

Slice
1,844 posts in this topic

Chris, for the love of god, just commit all your changes in one push to the repo. Any changes you make will be aggregate, there's no need to do each individual action. Also you can make the changes as different commits if your intention was to make them individually reversible, then just push once. I got like 16 emails within a few minutes that you pushed that many changes and they were all delete a file, then replace it.

• Like 2

Chris, for the love of god, just commit all your changes in one push to the repo. Any changes you make will be aggregate, there's no need to do each individual action. Also you can make the changes as different commits if your intention was to make them individually reversible, then just push once. I got like 16 emails within a few minutes that you pushed that many changes and they were all delete a file, then replace it.

Thank you for the Tip I do this next time

Sorry  :blush:

I delete one by one and push new one by one

• Like 1

A new theme is in the making, based on the work of insanelyDeepak and CrispyOSX, I gave it a macOS Sierra twist hihihi

Hope you guys enjoy, although I am facing a few little problems....

This theme , Mr BootChamp is using the font of the El Capitan theme because it is the nicest looking font we have going on... Could you help me understand why it renders well sometimes and other times no?

attachicon.gifscreenshot0.png

attachicon.gifscreenshot1.png

attachicon.gifscreenshot2.png

attachicon.gifMr BootChamp.zip

I havnt had a chance to look at this theme but I always did like the original. My only gripe was the lack of linux icons.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I appreciate the feedback,all that is left to fix is the font problem, would love some assistance! :D

It's very clean theme, but IMHO the spacing between the text under the "Options" is a little bit to much. :)

I changed the CharWidth in the theme.plist from 23 to 10 and it looks more natural.

Here is the file if you like to see

Update:

After some test CharWith 13 or 14 is better, with char width 10 some of the texts are incomplete.

theme.plist.zip

***WORK IN PROGRESS****

I try to make a theme. But I do not understand why Inline  shows os_sierra.icns instead of os_recovery.icns?

Thanks

Do you have all Volumes.icns

captur17.png

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean it should automatically detect the image type and load it accordingly. At least, it used to. You can use ICNS but I imagine that PNGs are just easier to make and compress losslessly smaller. Also not sure if there is code to select the right size of icon, or how you would determine what size you wanted/needed to display in what situation.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you mean it should automatically detect the image type and load it accordingly. At least, it used to. You can use ICNS but I imagine that PNGs are just easier to make and compress losslessly smaller.

It should be done by "egDecodeAny" to detect icon type & decode it, but seems never being used anywhere (except AppleImageCodec.c). I could be wrong though.

Also not sure if there is code to select the right size of icon, or how you would determine what size you wanted/needed to display in what situation.

Need new code I guess. To select custom icon size for main menu / other purposes maybe?

What Im trying to say here, to avoid confusions for new theme devs to develop correct icon format, extensions, how its render..

Nah the function is egLoadIcon. But your second part is right if you read the ICNS decode function it clearly doesn't do multiple sizes very well. I would think the size selection would go better in the theme.plist, however this requires the theme be able to distinguish between screen sizes and using the appropriate icon size from that. But what if the icon size doesn't exist, what then?

EDIT: Or the screen size is much larger than the largest provided icon and it's like so super tiny you can barely tell what it is? Or vice versa, the screen is tiny and the icon is big?

EDIT2: It's named .icns because thats the only file type that rEFIt used. It's easier to just name it with that extension to prevent a bunch of searching for different filenames and inspect the file to determine the type, which is what is being done.

• Like 1

@apianti

I have already proposed those things (devs are able to choose fixed/specific icon format to search & render) while ago. To develop icon with png extension, ex: vol_*.png / os_*.png. But seems no one use this option so far:

<key>Icon</key>
<dict>
  <key>Format</key>
  <string>png</string>
</dict>
EG_IMAGE * egDecodeICNS(IN UINT8 *FileData, IN UINTN FileDataLength, IN UINTN IconSize, IN BOOLEAN WantAlpha)

egDecodeICNS has IconSize as param to parse known size (128, 48, 32, 16) and fallback to predefined value if fail.
By extending Icon property above (as suggested), theme dev has extra flexibilty to supply more than just 1 icon size and let user to choose which the best one match to their screen:

<key>Icon</key>
<dict>
  <key>Format</key>
  <string>icns</string>
  <key>VolIconSize</key>
  <integer>48</integer>
</dict>

If Clover prefer to abandon other format (restricted to png only) better to search for png extension first and icns later as a fallback (backward compatibility). And again, to avoid confusion & better theme development in the near feature.

@apianti

I have already proposed those things (devs are able to choose fixed/specific icon format to search & render) while ago. To develop icon with png extension, ex: vol_*.png / os_*.png. But seems no one use this option so far:

<key>Icon</key>
<dict>
  <key>Format</key>
  <string>png</string>
</dict>
EG_IMAGE * egDecodeICNS(IN UINT8 *FileData, IN UINTN FileDataLength, IN UINTN IconSize, IN BOOLEAN WantAlpha)

egDecodeICNS has IconSize as param to parse known size (128, 48, 32, 16) and fallback to predefined value if fail.

By extending Icon property above (as suggested), theme dev has extra flexibilty to supply more than just 1 icon size and let user to choose which the best one match to their screen:

<key>Icon</key>
<dict>
  <key>Format</key>
  <string>icns</string>
  <key>VolIconSize</key>
  <integer>48</integer>
</dict>

If Clover prefer to abandon other format (restricted to png only) better to search for png extension first and icns later as a fallback (backward compatibility). And again, to avoid confusion & better theme development in the near feature.

Don't get caught up on the fact the file is named with .icns extension, they are almost all PNGs. As I said it tries to load it as a PNG then falls back to BMP and ICNS otherwise. This is already implemented, it has been for like three or four years when I created the theme.plist method of themes. There is no need to do whatever you changed or wanted to change. In fact because you did that change, Slice then removed the ability for ICNS and BMP to be the image. So................... You pretty much had that ability before then removed it yourself. lol. Also your method makes it so that only one file type can be loaded where the previous method would load any of the three types but they just had to have the .icns extension.

However your method for icon size is still lacking. What if I have like 800x600 resolution and you are trying to shove 96x96 or 48x48 icons in my face? There needs to be way to determine the scaling of the icon according to the user's screen resolution, not what you intend the resolution of the theme to be. So you would need to create an array of lowest resolution acceptable for an icon size and choose according when loading them. This presents another problem, the user can dynamically change their screen resolution, which means you would need to reload all the icons if the resolution threshold changed.

This is already implemented, it has been for like three or four years when I created the theme.plist method of themes. There is no need to do whatever you changed or wanted to change.

Yes I can now leave this icons procedure in peace since its been working for years.. Sorry for bugging you

Ah, don't be like that. Please improve it if you'd like, by all means. I was just pointing out that it already loaded multiple file types. If you want what you should do is make it search for all the file extensions and load them. Obviously you'll need to make a hierarchy or you could get doubles. Like png, bmp, icns or something. And please implement the icon size changing because that would be awesome. Some themes look great on high res, others don't, some look great low res, while others aren't even on the screen, lol. And you definitely weren't bugging me. What else are we here for if not to discuss making stuff better????

EDIT: Also don't take my general bravado as an insult, I'm just an a**hole. lol.

• Like 2

Because the windows boot manager can start several different version of windows through just the one efi binary. It's impossible to tell which one it could start, you'd have to parse the BCD (it's a binary file so probably not easy) and then if there was more than one windows, how can you choose which one to display?

Yeah ive seen that one i was hoping it would be the image :-( but i guess it keeps in line with the sierra icon.

Change all my os_hsierra.icns for all of my theme, also in the repos

I hope Apple not changing next week the icons

Attaching also new os_hsierra.icns and High Sierra blur.png for El Capitan theme  :)

screen39.png

Though i'd give this theme a whirl and it looks great but.......the High Sierra icon in image is not what is in the themes icon folder  :(