Feel like I've tried everything, but a fresh set of eyes would be appreciated!

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I normally run Windows 8 on a RAID0 array of 2 SSDs. I have a third SSD installed that is blank so I decided to install MacOSX on it.

I disconnected the 2 SSDs in RAID and installed using one of the well known distros on the third SSD, and it works great!

So now I wanted to have a bootloader show up which allows me to choose between Windows and MacOS... but no matter what the RAID array isn't seen. It boots directly into MacOS.

I tried Chameleon, Chimera and Clover, but none of them see the Windows RAID array. And when MacOS boots, it reports that the 2 SSDs in the array can't be read. I tried EasyBCD on the Win side and it doesn't boot into OSX (just shows a black screen with a blinking cursor).

However, if I set my BIOS boot priority to the RAID array, Windows boots fine, and if I set it to the third SSD it will boot MacOS with those two errors.

It seems that OSX and OSX Bootloaders cannot see my hardware RAID. If there isn't a solution for that, is there possibly a bootloader for the windows side that I could install that would see the SSD with OSX on it? I thought I read something about Chameleon for Windows, but I can't find a recent version.

System Specs (MacOS detects everything just fine):

i7 3770K @4.5 GHz

16 GB Corsair Dominator RAM @ 2400MHz

Gigabyte Z77-UP7 motherboard

Dual GTX 690s in quad SLI

2 SSDs in RAID0 with Windows installed

1 SSD with MacOS 10.8.3 installed

Seasonic X-1250 power supply

EDIT: Since this, I have actually formatted and installed with a purchased copy of OSX, but I am still facing the same problem.

No onboard raid support. You will need to buy a real raid card that is supported under Mac OS X.

Okay, thank you for your help. Have you heard of anything like Chameleon/Chimera/Clover for Windows? I was hoping to have the RAID array as my boot disk, and then choose between loading up Win8 or OSX on the other SSD.

No. You are misguided. Boot to the Mac HDD and choose from there.

Okay, understood. If OSX cannot detect the RAID array, then booting into the Mac HDD wouldn't give me an option to choose between OSes right?

Is there an option to put a bootloader on a usb drive that would see the onboard RAID array?

GRUB might work. It would be used as helper bootloader which would start Windows bootloader when Windows is selected, and would start Chameleon when OS X is selected. It is however easily said then done, but still possible.
  • Like 1

GRUB might work. It would be used as helper bootloader which would start Windows bootloader when Windows is selected, and would start Chameleon when OS X is selected. It is however easily said then done, but still possible.

Awesome, I will give it a shot. Is it meant to be loaded onto a USB drive or onto the Win or OSX partition?

Holy mackerel, this grub stuff is heavy reading.